I'm a geek: I read 2 atkins books this week.

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm good either way. Just wanted to stress the importance of reading the original source, because MAN is atkins NOT what it's made out to be. :-) (which I suspected, of course)

Most people I see going on about bacon on low carb diets are, well, low carbers.

Having done paleo briefly, I know there's a backlash in the paleo world about how bacon is promoted by many as a healthy thing in paleo-land, and I'm not surprised there's such in low carb-ville, nor that it wasn't part of the original Atkins plan (in fact I knew that, since I recall when Atkins was big in the early '00s, just before the South Beach craze).

But here's a pretty good discussion between Taubes and another science writer that shows that Taubes does, in fact, promote a more stereotypical low carb diet (as do lots of low carbers I know, as I mentioned): http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/2981

I mentioned doing a low carb experiment (for menopause) in a group recently and was told I was going to be eating only protein and ruining my kidneys.
    I see plenty of threads on here where non-low carbers say Atkins is all about meat.

I don't. I see keto people who do eat basically meat, though, and they talk about how carbs are not necessary at all (as if that was a reason to avoid them) and have discussed how the low carb group did a carnivorous challenge. Seemed weird to me, as the low carb people I've known off line (Atkins types or paleoish low carb) have been all about meat + vegetables. (They all tend to talk up bacon as one reason their diets are great, though.)

I see it from both keto-ers and OFTEN from folks who don't know what low carb is. Keto being a particular variety of low carb, of course, where vegetables are more "optional", perhaps.

I would imagine it's a matter of perception as well. The folks who post pictures of sweets are often thought to only eat sweets or eat too many sweets.
  • Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sabine Stroe, that is GREAT and you have chosen some really good books. They are eye openers. Since you seem to have a good grasp on the concept, as do I, I am curious what stood out for you.

I have watched some great documentaries that have really changed how I think about food and dieting as well.

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    k0562hlce129.jpeg

My next purchase.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    k0562hlce129.jpeg

My next purchase.

I'd never heard of that one, but I'm curious. I requested it from my library too.

I've never heard of Levinovitz either. It appears he is an assistant professor of religion who focuses on Chinese thought... I'm wondering how well researched his book is, or if it is largely a rant over dietary changes over the last few decades.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    k0562hlce129.jpeg

My next purchase.

Nice. I've heard good things about that one.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Nearly all these books are trash. Just read The Martian. At least that book knows it is fiction from the start.
    The twist in the plot? ;-)
  • Qskim
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    k0562hlce129.jpeg

My next purchase.

I'd never heard of that one, but I'm curious. I requested it from my library too.

I've never heard of Levinovitz either. It appears he is an assistant professor of religion who focuses on Chinese thought... I'm wondering how well researched his book is, or if it is largely a rant over dietary changes over the last few decades.
    I wondered the same...chinese philosophy and busting diet myths kinda seem an odd juxtaposition eh. I did skim through the book last time and what little I read seemed factual and not ranty. Do philosophers rant? lol

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Now I'm feeling motivated to read some food and/or diet books.
  • RockstarWilson
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I generally go with personal experience and will be trying things out. Moore (or Westman) says that too much protein can be bad for ketosis. However, Dr. Donald Layman's research on protein shows evidence that a certain protein threshold is needed for muscle maintenance or growth (which contain specified amounts of the BCAA leucine). I am going to review his study presented in 2013.

I do not maintain ketosis, however I eat at over 60% fat most days, letting carbs and protein be interchangable.

The only veggies I eat are broccoli, potatoes, avocadoes and spinach, as they are the most nutrient packed for the calorie (potatoes have potassium). I rarely eat fruit because of how my body responds to fat free sugars. Through my readings and experiences, I do agree with the authors that say sugar elicits a hunger response that challenges the psyche, and is the opposite of the response that fat induces.

When I am on a training regimen, carbs are reserved for recovery only.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    k0562hlce129.jpeg

My next purchase.

Nice. I've heard good things about that one.

I haven't read the book, but I've read the author on Slate and heard him on this podcast: http://www.evilsugarradio.com/85-dr-alan-levinovitz-religious-ideas-in-diet-culture/876/ and generally liked him a lot. I'd be open to reading the book.
  • Qskim
    Options
    Damn, I can't do podcasts. My internet is crap.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

And I am going to rewatch Dr. Layman's report of his clinical trials on protein synthesis, while eating some meat and cheese. I might have a couple questions for him (he responds to email, as he is a professor at the university where his lab is. How's THAT for a first-source?).
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Just remember that the #1 priority of a "diet book" is to sell the book.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I generally go with personal experience and will be trying things out. Moore (or Westman) says that too much protein can be bad for ketosis. However, Dr. Donald Layman's research on protein shows evidence that a certain protein threshold is needed for muscle maintenance or growth (which contain specified amounts of the BCAA leucine). I am going to review his study presented in 2013.

my take home message from Layman was to have ~25 grams of protein at a meal to exceed his "anabolic threshold". 3 * 25 = 75g per day wouldn't challenge most people's tolerance for protein while maintaining ketosis.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Putting some of these in my reading queue. I've been meaning to read How to Have your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too. Anyone read this and would recommend it before I download it to my kindle? The sample seems good enough.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've read so many diet book that I always end up more confused than before reading it
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    To me is like searching for the "magic pill"
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Always good to read the source materials! ps: I still love your profile pic.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Damn, I can't do podcasts. My internet is crap.

download the file overnight ? http://media.blubrry.com/evilsugarradio/p/www.evilsugarradio.com/podcasts/episode85.mp3
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    To me is like searching for the "magic pill"

What is?