40+ Club: Summer Slimmers

Options

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Sorry, but I was not able to get onto MFP here at work for about a week. My computer is a slow piece of junk (HP). It is also quite old! I will check in soon and try to read all of the posts I've missed. I hope that everyone is well!

Take care!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: scereski...isn't it great that we can substitute ingredience to have healthier portions of our favorites. I have notice lately that if I touch fried foods that I have greasy fingers. Uggg....imagine putting that in our bodies.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Big welcome to Suze130 and StacyAC999. I am sure that you will love this thread with all the help and encouragement found here.

sing...welcome back. Hope your computer issue gets fixed quickly so we can hear more from you.:smile:

Here I am at work once again with two and a half hours to go until I can begin. Think I will get out my band and do some muscle work.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Wahoo I qualify!!!!!!!!!! wait...a second...is it really good to qualify for this group...I mean like I'm forty....damn...I'm forty....ughhhhh I'm FORTY!!....lol

anyway, glad to have some peeps my age, so lets bust out the parachute pants and dance to the smiths shall we?
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    MellowGa...So funny. Yes, I guess you qualify. I have qualified for 20 years.:laugh:
  • MellowGa
    Options
    hmmmm seasoned vetran I see, so that means you qualify as my Cougar? yea baby.....

It's all good! How we holding up today?

whats the plan? I ahve elliptical todday, maybe some swimming later :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I could use some 40 and over friends for inspiration. Please add me to your friends list.

Topsking2010
  • MellowGa
    Options
    welcome Tops...glad to see you joining us
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Missed you SIng. Glad your back.

MellowGA- yes, its great to be in this club. Most 20 YO can do what we do:)

Suze130,Stacyac999,topsking2010 and Mello- Welcome aboard!

C25k is going well and I am walking and weight on my off days.

Have a wonderful week! Stay Hydrated!!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Good Morning! Welcome to all the new folks. Keep posting, this is the place to be!

Sing: I hope they fix your computer, as we miss your regular inspirational posts.

Came back from Maine on Sunday. Ate much better this time than any previous trip. Still not perfectly but a big improvement. And we walked more. Found a botanical gardens in Boothbay, and it was so nice to be able to just pick a trail and start walking, and not have to calculate if I would be able to make it back to the car! We also did the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse. The breakwater is nearly a mile, but feels like twice as much as you are walking on these big uneven blocks of granite with big gaps, so you really had to watch your step. Gave legs a very good workout.

I also bought some clothes at the outlets to inspire me. I love clothes from the Van Heusen outlet, but they only go up to size 18, and right now I still can't fit back into the 18s I have that fit me last summer. So, I bought three pairs of cropped pants to "shrink" into, and will try them on every week until they fit. It really is amazing how three pairs of the same size pants can be so different. One pair I can close, but can't breath and the smallest I need to lost at least another 2 inches for them to be at that stage.

Well, I've babbled enough for a Tuesday.
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi all! Horrible summer cold (in my head and chest) since before Memorial Day. Has not stopped me from doing things with my son before he returns to graduate school in San Francisco. Took a family trip to the east coast to see sights and family last week. Did tons of walking and lost four pounds! My right ear has still not repressurized from the flight.

Yesterday was the start of river aerobics and I had to miss it. :( I figure as soon as I go for an hour without blwing my nose and my ear repressurizes I can start running the river. For you who are new since last summer, our town has a water park with a lazy river. It is three feet deep and has a strong current to moved the inner tubes along. In the evening three days a week, there is a river aerobics class where we run in the water against the current. Very hard work but great fun. If there is a water park in your area, check to see if they have river aerobics.

Must go find more cough drops... Take are all. TxMs
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone, for the warm welcome!

I am really enjoying reading about what you all do for exercise, as that is a sticking point for me. I admit it, I am lazy, and I need to find some cardio that distracts me! I am going to have to look into Ricer Aerobics, that sounds like fun! I also need to take advantage of the awesome hiking trails we have around here.

Other sugggestions?
  • zebras
    Options
    Stacy: I'm very lazy, too, and I find that listening to a book entices me to work out longer than I would, because I'm a big reader. Its really funny at the gym, as I was smack in front of a TV last night that was playing Jeopardy than Wheel of Fortune, and I'm trying to listen to my book, read the questions and answers and not fall of all at the same time!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: zebras...can you ever multi-task.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: tex...I sure hope you get to feeling better soon.

:flowerforyou: Stacy...do you like to bike? That is my favorite thing to do. And, the Zumba !!

I haven't stepped on the scales for several days. Waiting until I think that I have really lost some and then I will weigh in.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    Welcome all the newcomers! Please keep posting!

singfree, I'm glad you posted because I've been getting a tad worried about you. Sorry to hear about the computer. Hope things get resolved soon.

zebras, welcome back!! Sounds like you had a good time in Maine. I hear you about using clothes as inspiration. I do that alot. You crack me up with watching TV, listening to a book AND working out. As Swissmiss said, talk about multi-tasking!

Swissmiss, don't worry about the scale right now. It's not as important as just making the changes you're making to your eating and exercise routine. Focus on that.

TxMs, sorry to hear about the summer cold AND the fact you had to miss river aerobics. :grumble: Hopefully you'll feel better soon. I hope you post alot about the river aerobics this summer because just reading about it sounds so refreshing to me. And, unfortunately, I think I'm going to need every bit of 'refreshing' I can get this summer because it looks like it is going to be hot one. Up near 100 the next couple of days. Not fun for me.

StacyAC999, the key really is to find what you DO enjoy. You may not absolute love any form of exercise, but you may find some you do enjoy doing. It can be anything from hiking, walking, dancing, Zumba, strength training, treadmill, etc. I like working out in the privacy of my home, so I'm a DVD user. But alot of people need the motivation of the gym, and like the gym equipment. I suggest you try a variety of things and, again, find what works best for you, your schedule, etc. You'll read that you need to be doing X or Y at least this number of days a week and such, but don't pay attention to that right now. That just confuses the point. The real and most important thing is to just find something that's going to get you moving around for a little while. Please ask if you have any questions on anything. I'm one of those few who loves to exercise. Wish I enjoyed eating cleanly as much as I enjoy exercise......but I don't. :blushing:

Speaking of working out, I tried my second Asylum workout today, and I enjoyed this one MUCH more than I enjoyed the first one I did. So I'm looking forward to trying more right now. No doubt these workouts are tough....tougher than Insanity in terms of the types of moves though I don't find them cardiovascularly more challenging. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anybody starting out. My eating continues to be better now, which is good. I always feel better when I'm eating better.

Enjoy the day!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    anyway, glad to have some peeps my age, so lets bust out the parachute pants and dance to the smiths shall we?

...parachute pants?! Bahahaha!!! (Class of '88 here.) I remember those from junior high. Never had any, it was more of a guy thing at our school.

Gotta go chug some more water. Walked 2 miles around the park at lunch.

StiringWendel - I also use DVD's at home. Do you know of any good Zumba DVD's? I love the class, but don't belong to a gym (and the classes don't fit my schedule). Thanks!
  • MellowGa
    Options
    class of 88 as well..... did you liek the movie Valley Girl? Like totally awesome! Like for sure!
  • Girl1Beagle4
    Girl1Beagle4 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm over 40 so, can I join this group? I would love to have some friends that are around my age on MFP. Other than being 40+ what are the other qualifications do you need for this group?
  • Girl1Beagle4
    Girl1Beagle4 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Class of "87". Totally loved Valley Girl and all the Brat Pack movies.....16 Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, etc. The sad thing is I have all of them on DVD in my movie collection.:laugh:
  • zebras
    Options
    Welcome new folks! No qualifications here to join. Just post supportive thoughts and what's happening with you in your journey. Official check in is Friday, but is all very informal, only report what you like.
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the exercise pointers! I'm going to start looking around, and see what I like. At least I am open to the possibilities now, that's a step in the right direction, right?

Class of '88 here, too! Love Valley Girl, the Brat Pack movies, etc etc etc! Lloyd Dobler is the perfect man. Sigh.

And I always wanted parachute pants, but my mom wouldn't let me. She said they were too trendy and I would never wear them. ha!