October 2015 Running Challenge

Replies

• melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    @dennie24 Your little running partner is adorable! Great pic!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2015
    7.1 km run with the Sunday Running Club. We were all a little rough today - wouldn't have had anything to do with October Fest - and a few Wobble pops - Fund Raiser for the Local Community Ski Hill last night.

Loving all the pictures of your pets/workout buddies.
    @dennie24 Congratulations, A great bonding event for you and your 7 year old
    @kristinegift Great friends and some great pics! Great Description - Finish line focus.
    With the Clothing that the Spectators are wearing it looks Cool and a Great Day for a run.
    @patrikc333 Ripping it up - 78/500km. Amazing how some Pet & Owners are so Great running with there dogs and others have no control allowing there dogs to do anything. You need to get some Chain Mail.
    @ddmom0811 Nothing like starting the month off with a big bite of miles - First HM - and with your daughter - a real Bonus.
    @Elise4270 Glad that your first HM was superb. "good company the first 3 miles, Thanks Yvonna wherever you are." Now that statement I truly understand - A Random - New Running Friend who helps you set a starting Pace can really make a race. The last Event I was in a few people at the finish were saying it was 10.6 to 10.8 km not a 10 km. Didn't really care - we all ran the same race and distance.

10/04 – 7.1 Km – 7.1 Km – 92.9 Km to go
    exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    3/10 - 3km
    4/10 - 3km Total 6/40 km

Shin splints aren't too bad.. Feeling really good :) How do you tell if its safe to run more days? I would live to run 3-4 days each week but that and slowly increasing distance .. My legs don't adjust to change very well.
  • CatRunna
    CatRunna Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2015
    I'm in for 150km. Ambitious but achievable...
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Knock on wood, as of this evening I think my bout with BPPV (vertigo) is over. Sure hope so, it has made running rather, uh, odd. T-5 days until I run a 25km mountain trail race with 4,250 feet of climbing so went out today with a weighted pack but only did half what I hoped. If vertigo is gone in the morning I might sneak one last longer run in and then ease right off.

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		032.55 km
    Minimum Goal:		282 km / 175 miles (11% completed)
    Stretch Goal:		322 km / 200 miles (10% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Oct 04 16.49 km Weighted pack run, hilly
    Oct 03 01.60 km Ugh
    Oct 02 14.46 km Screw BPPV I'm running anyway
    Oct 01 -----    Day off dealing with BPPV

• ameliasdanial213
    ameliasdanial213 Posts: 16 Member
    I just saw this and want to join in! I am going to set my challenge for 156 mi! :) Good Luck to everyone for their October goals!
  • ameliasdanial213
    ameliasdanial213 Posts: 16 Member
    exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    October goal 75 miles

10/1 big fat...REST day
    10/2 3.15
    10/3 4
    10/4 7.55

Total 14.7
    Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    10/1 8.25 treadmill run at just around 12:00
    10/2 3.75 treadmill run at 11:28
    10/3 rest
    10/4 3.0 @ 12:03 outside

Today was a day that reminded me of what a novice I am at all this. I just didn't have any motivation this morning, but made myself go out for a quick run before church. The weather was good--misty and cool but not cold. My first outdoor run in real fall weather! I had on my trail shoes, but it was *not* a good run. I was afraid for a lot of it that I would slip on the wet leaves and wooden crossings--everything was slimy! I am determined, though, to get outside at least once per week, though, so I'll have to get used to it.

Oh, and the pet photos are so wonderful! I need to get a photo of Woolos the Worst Running Partner Ever. He's pretty cute, even if he's a pain.

@mwyvr I hope your vertigo is better soon. I've dealt with that occasionally, and I can't imagine trying to run when it strikes!
    @dennie24 How cool to be part of Hogwart's running team!

exercise.png

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Nice early start this morning.

exercise.png
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    @mwyvr So glad you're feeling better! Don't over do it this week, no matter what Kady tells you. Willow and I will be cheering you on from Ohio!
    arstvozkaxrw.jpeg
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited October 2015
    01/10 - 10.3km
    02/10 - 13.1 miles
    03/10 - 10.3km
    04/10 - 22.1 miles
    05/10 - 10.3km

tot 88/500km

rainy run today, rain is forecast for all week, not looking forward to take my dogs out with heavy rain tonight or the traffic

after a week of highs, today I was pretty sad, sometimes it happens, prob was the weather, the extreme darkness made things more difficult but pace was decent

lots of amazing dog pictures! I'm glad you manage to run with your fluffy babies!

I'm ok but it's not nice when you run and a dog (horse) starts to chase you growling - but the most annoying thing was the owner, not able to catch the dog and staring at the ground without saying a word. I did refuse to change my route, park is big enough for both
  • DaveThomas1901
    DaveThomas1901 Posts: 58 Member
    Tough busy day ahead but off to a positive start.
    Well done everyone.

1/10 6.2
    4/10 6.68
    5/10 6.32
    total 19.2
    target 50 miles

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    @melaniefave41 I'll be on the look out for this on the trail for sure, it's Sasquatch season here.
    Sasquatch-Warning_photo_medium.jpg
  • CatRunna
    CatRunna Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2015
    Trying to figure out this ticker...
    exercise.png
    OK it worked!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Woswers, this is a popular thread. Lots of posts since I last visited!

Date: 2/10 Length: 7.1 km Duration: 0:39:33 Total: 7.1 km of 100 km
    Date: 4/10 Length: 12km Duration: 1:12:50 Total: 19.1 km of 100 km

The first run I tested out my new chest running light from Decathlon: Run Light which was generally great and kept me and the road ahead safely visible. It also makes me look like Iron Man which is cool.

I was slightly conscious of blinding small children and dogs (even though I had it on the lowest setting) so I covered it with my hand when I saw them approaching.

The second run was lovely through a local trail early morning on Sunday. Watched the Sun burn off the mist as it day became brighter and the deer peered up from their breakfast as my feet crunched against the ground.

I do need to learn to slow down though as my natural, comfortable pace is a bit of a no mans land - neither slow enough nor fast enough.
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    10.1: 6
    10.3: 1.1
    10.4: 9

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    First HM today! Had a great time! My daughter decided to run with me, instead of going for her goal. She had been sick for about 8 days and hadn't been able to train for 2 weeks so she didn't want to go for her goal. Plus she said it might be the only time we can run one together. Because next time she'll be going for a goal. It was so great being with her the whole way!

The weather was perfect - like KristineGifts's weather - cold in the morning but low 50s with a breeze/wind most of the way. I didn't push myself -- just slow and steady -- with most miles being 10-11. I felt really great at the end. It wasn't one of those feelings of like "wtf? - where's the finish?" but more of I DID IT!!! This was a Run Like a Diva run and I think they do a great job. Champagne at the end, medals given out by hunks, lots of snacks, lots of support throughout the whole thing.

@ddmom0811 That sounds like a great way to end a race! And I'm glad it was a good experience and you got to run it with your daughter. It's fun to do your first with some company :)
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    During training I ran 11+ miles on trails and never had an issue with chaffing. I did set out the Glide (just in case), and forgot to use it. Road running-your (my) thighs rub with each step.... By the end of the race I had bloody thighs... Thankful for large band-aids, neosporin and advil.

Overall my first HM was superb. Perfect weather and good company the first 3 miles, Thanks Yvonna wherever you are.

There were some timing issues. I was told my chip time was 2:23:50, my Garmin says 2:22:23. I'll assume that may be due to the additional distance in a sanctioned race. Garmin says race was 13.37. Really neither here nor there on the time. Very happy. Next year, Ill be faster. Without bloody chafed thighs. Sorry I secretly laughed at all the guys with sore nips...We're even now. :#

@Elise4270 Bloody chafing anywhere sounds awful, but thighs? Oh boy! Hope that heals up quickly! I'm glad you're happy with your time and had a good experiene besides the chafing! :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    10/1: 8 miles am and 6.2 pm with the Thursday crew
    10/2: Rest day
    10/3: 10 miles with Saturday crew
    10/4: 13.1 - Princeton Half Marathon (new HM PR!)
    10/5: 5 miles recovery style

Rough recovery run this morning; definitely feeling the hills from yesterday's HM! Almost turned around early to just do 4 but I'm glad I stuck to the distance. I felt great the last mile and cruised down the hill into my apartment complex. But I am really happy to have a rest day tomorrow!

42.3/220

exercise.png
  • rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    Started back into running in september by doing walk/run intervals, 3-4 times/week. Will continue with that, while slowly increasing the running part. :) Based on this first week, will aim for 35 miles this month.
    10/1 -1.85 miles
    10/3 -2.99 miles
    10/4 -3.13 miles