Significant other and their habits..Break up or Suck it up??

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    They say true love is blind.

And now we know it lacks the sense of smell too.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have said that there is clearly more going on than just food, especially since you've been together so long. I think you should sit down and talk about everything on your mind (and your SO's, as these things are rarely one sided) and decide as a couple whether it's worth working on.
    Good luck to you.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Self disclosure: I've been a vegetarian for 15 years now.

I only focus on the food I put on my plate. It is not my place nor role to focus on the food someone else puts on their plate. Sometimes we can be so focused on the changes we are making that we want to bleed those choices on others in our life. It's not right. It's not fair.

I will also say in all blunt honesty, if this is a deal breaker for your relationship than it says more about the relationship than the meat issue. I have made it clear to people I have dated that I am not preparing meat, but what they choose to do....is up to them. I respect our differences and all that jazz.

Also, as a vegetarian....beans, tofu and the like can smell just as stinky coming out. Just sayin.... Buy some Poo Pourri.

QFT. I'm a vegetarian too. I'm also married (coming up on 25 years) to a meat-eater. Guess what? I even cook it for him. Our son eats meat, our daughter is also a veggie. We all respect each other.

If you can't respect that your husband has just as much right to make his own choices and that his choices are as valid as your choices, do him a favor and leave. Respect is fundamental to a marriage. Your children do not need to see you passing judgement on their father like this.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that she's not married to him, and it doesn't even sound like they live together as she says "the only time the home reeks is when the SO is here". I'm thinking he's dodging a bullet on both counts there.
    15 years + kids, but not living together? Lot more going on than who's poop stinks.
    I'll also point out, the OP's language doesn't even say it is a him. Also, she refers to the kids as her kids, not their kids, so maybe the kids aren't the SO's?

Impossible. It has to be a man. Girls don't poop.

SNORT!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that she's not married to him, and it doesn't even sound like they live together as she says "the only time the home reeks is when the SO is here". I'm thinking he's dodging a bullet on both counts there.
    15 years + kids, but not living together? Lot more going on than who's poop stinks.
    I'll also point out, the OP's language doesn't even say it is a him. Also, she refers to the kids as her kids, not their kids, so maybe the kids aren't the SO's?

Impossible. It has to be a man. Girls don't poop.

Crap. I never got that memo. No wonder The Man looks at me with such disgust after I walk out of the bathroom saying "Daaammn, don't go in there for awhile". :#

Maybe SO in this case means Stinky Octogenarian or Stinky Octopus.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,128 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Has anyone here had to deal with a significant other who just isn't "heading the same direction" I have become a vegetarian, trying to go vegan eventually.And my SO just keeps on eating meat.I have changed so much that just the thought of kissing someone who has chewed on meat kind of grosses me out.It has made me actually reconsider if this person should even be in my life.And let's not even mention the way the bathroom smells after they use it.(I am sorry if it sounds gross, but dead carcass coming out smells worse than going in! And my children are also vegetarian and the only time the home reeks is when the SO is here..15 years is what I have in the relationship, but after all this is my health and my life and I want someone who is at least CLOSE to heading my direction. And my SO generally likes "bigger" women which I am planning on NOT being ever again.Am I being too harsh or does anyone else have an opinion? Thanks ~~Kissimmee Disney~~~~ <3

if i look at this post**juuuuust so** it almost resembles an actual real thing

That was my thought too.

And this ...
    Wait, wait. I had to re read this thread just for fun.
    You're LITERALLY saying that as a vegetarian, youre superior...because your *kitten* don't stink. Good lord, that is rich.

• kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wait, wait. I had to re read this thread just for fun.
    You're LITERALLY saying that as a vegetarian, you're superior...because your *kitten* don't stink. Good lord, that is rich.

So glad I am not the only one who noticed this.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    He should dump you for being a complete whack job.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP sounds like you need help not your SO and your poor kids. :/
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hmmm...12 posts...The gist of this thread is "My crap doesn't stink because I'm a vegetarian." If I were cynical I might think this was a troll. :);)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »
    Hmmm...12 posts...The gist of this thread is "My crap doesn't stink because I'm a vegetarian." If I were cynical I might think this was a troll. :);)

It's sometimes hard to tell if trolling, but some people really believe this, and that starch makes your poop like glue, that pork is full of urine etc.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're going in different directions, and he might be feeling the same about you, and posting questions on forums about his 'crazy vegetarian so' who's trying to get him to follow her. No one on the internet really knows enough about your situation to be giving advice. But if one or both of you are miserable in this relationship then why continue it?
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    you cant expect someone to change just because you have. I don't mean to be mean but I feel bad for your SO that you expect so much of him. if it's really that big of a deal, do him a favor and leave. relationships are about compromises but that's a big thing to ask of someone. I started eating healthy and I kind of pushed it on my boyfriend but I realized something.... it's not all about me. Just because I want to eat differently doesn't mean I have to force him to do it too.
    aggelikik wrote: »
    You need to discuss this with a therapist. Decision to leave a partner is not related to food or eating habits. It is very unlikely this has anything to do with what he eats or does not eat, even if it seems right now this way to you.

and I agree with what they said....it sounds like there might be an underlying issue and you are trying to find a "scapegoat" instead of being honest about the actual reason you want to leave him.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options

Either way, it's a terrible reason to break up. Get some Poo-pourri.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. OP hasn't returned either.
  • adawson55510
    adawson55510 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is pretty harsh.. There must be another reason surely after 15yrs that you would want to break up other than he still eats meat?? Some crazy people on MFP lol
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I agree with you. OP hasn't returned either.

probably saw some of the first few replies and decided better of it.
  • ceazrsmith
    ceazrsmith Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My question is... How the hell did this guy put up with a self absorbed moron for 15yrs. Do him a favour and leave the bloke, he deserves someone better if your biggest issue is his habbit.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have tried to read all of the responses but the BIG question is being ignored. Do vegetarians poop smell better than meat eaters????