October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Kind of sick over here. Ran two before I decided I can stop and not feel bad about it. 13.5/90
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    10/5 3.5 miles
    10/6 4 miles
    7.5 miles total out of 42 goal for October.
  • salsup317
    salsup317 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Taking it easy to get ready for Saturday's race. 2.2 on the treadmill tonight (I hate the treadmill!)

9.7/50
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    exercise.pngn
    Absolutely gorgeous day! Ran 4.4 after work, sun, shade, breeze--could not have been more perfect.
  • ameliasdanial213
    ameliasdanial213 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So, what are recovery runs? I take it they are shorter runs done the day after an especially longer run? Now, what is an especially longer run? Would 6.5 miles count a long run? Often I feel I need to run for a couple of miles they day after. Does that count?
  • snha
    Options
    @ddmom0811 huge congrats. Ur description makes me want to go for a run :smile: happy for u and how great it is to run w ur daughter!
  • snha
    Options
    @Elise4270 congrats. That is awesome. Too bad w the chafing. And nip chafing is really nothing to laugh about :smile: it's a real thing, believe me.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    3/10 - 3.0
    4/10 - 3.0
    6/10 - 2.0
    7/10 - 3.5 Tot 11.5/40kms

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    October goal 75 miles

10/1 big fat...REST day
    10/2 3.15
    10/3 4
    10/4 7.55
    10/5 rest
    10/6 4

Total 18.7
    Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    August: 66.23 of 75 miles
    September 79.3 of 92

October.... I'm going to aim I think for 50.
    10.1.15... 4.... 33 min- rainy but good.
    10.3.15- 12 miler FLOP
    10.6.15...3.04....26 Min- late night run- felt really stressed in the lungs- think the lack of a long run might have been a bad call. Ah well.

7.04... 50
    Total Half Training Mileage
    191.4 of total 225

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    So, what are recovery runs? I take it they are shorter runs done the day after an especially longer run? Now, what is an especially longer run? Would 6.5 miles count a long run? Often I feel I need to run for a couple of miles they day after. Does that count?

@snha - yes they are short(er) slower runs done more to stretch out your muscles after a long run or race. A long run depends on you. For some 3 miles might be long for others it is 20. It just depends on what your normal everyday mileage is. Yes the couple of miles you do the next day after a long run or a particularly hard run (tempo, hills, etc.) count - they are precisely what a recovery run would be... slow and easy...
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,406 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Great tempo run today and strength training tonight. My muscles are still shaking and I know I will be sore in the morning. Rest day tomorrow - looking forward to it until I see everyone else running!

Date.......Miles......Total
    10/01.......8.45........8.45 - +Strength Training
    10/02.......0.00........8.45
    10/03.......6.12......14.57
    10/04.......4.47......19.04
    10/05.......5.39......24.43 - + Agility
    10/06.......4.70......29.13 - + Strength Training

exercise.png
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    01/10 - 10.3km
    02/10 - 13.1 miles
    03/10 - 10.3km
    04/10 - 22.1 miles
    05/10 - 10.3km
    06/10 - 13.1 miles
    07/10 - 13.3 miles

tot 131/500km

back to back HM! tired but happy

taking out the dogs alone with heavy rain for 2 nights in a row honestly killed me, finished to eat at 10pm and went to bed at 1005pm, not great

anyway, I'm happy with the effort done, but today I was really really frustrated

- extreme dark
    - lot of traffic even in the middle of nowhere
    - drizzle perpendicular to my eyes!
    - motorists blinding me with that damned high beam lights. I've got a torch, I am on the opposite side of the traffic, wearing a reflective kit, it's also almost 630am and there is light...and you beep at me???
    - 3-4 unseen huge rocks that almost made me falling down

5:06min/km pace with 8 hours sleep and light, 5:22 with dark and 5 hours................. wish I could sleep more!!

and finally, are the back pockets of shorts designed by evil evil people to make runners crazy? :smiley:

now time for relax, tomorrow 10k to recover

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Date: 2/10 Length: 7.1 km Duration: 0:39:33 Total: 7.1 km of 100 km
    Date: 4/10 Length: 12km Duration: 1:12:50 Total: 19.1 km of 100 km
    Date: 6/10 Length: 8.2km Duration: 0.50:02 Total: 27.3 km of 100 km

Just was not feeling it last night. I had a guideline pace of around 5.30 - 6.15 mins per km for the run but it was pretty clear early on that my body was having none of it. My calves and shins said "no!" and the rain and wind certainly didn't help matters so I chalked it up to one of those days and backed off.

Having said that around the 6km mark it seemed like a weight got magically lifted and I started to enjoy myself. The run ultimately ended up within pace (albeit right at the top) and my heart rate stayed under 80% of my max despite my perception I was working hard.

Woke up this morning fresh as a daisy and raring to go. Feel good generally (although that could be due to the rather nice glass of Merlot I had at home and then the 3 pints of a nice IPA I had in the pub later on with friends...Perhaps I was just dehydrated ;) )

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »

6.5 miles, 4 miles, 10 miles, whatever feels long to you. I always do a recovery run the day after my Sunday run, because I'm either running long (16-20 miles) or hard (12-14 with a hard effort at the end). I do recovery runs slower than most of my other mileage with basically no intensity; mine used to be just 1-2 miles just to shake things out, and now I do 5 miles to keep my weekly mileage up. If you like to/feel like you can/should run the day after a long run, then do it! I think it's quite useful.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    10/1: 8 miles am and 6.2 pm with the Thursday crew
    10/2: Rest day
    10/3: 10 miles with Saturday crew
    10/4: 13.1 - Princeton Half Marathon (new HM PR!)
    10/5: 5 miles recovery style
    10/6: O Holy Rest Day........
    10/7: 7 miles hills

I had the bright idea last night that I should do hills for speedwork today. So I did. It was fun until the last hill and then my legs just said, "No." All my mile splits, you can tell where the up hills and the down hills were because the miles were 30-45 seconds different.

Also: How are we a week into October already?! Time is flying by! :#

49.3/220

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Oct 1 - cycling class
    Oct 2 - rest - traveling
    Oct 3 - rest
    Oct 4 - 13.1 HM!
    Oct 5 - rest - traveling
    Oct 6 - cycling class
    Oct 7 - 4.71 + strength training

exercise.png

The weather was perfect! Sky clear, lots of stars. Maybe fall is arriving early in Florida! Mile 2 was 9:08 which for me is very fast.

After reading the descriptions of recovery runs, I suppose that's what I should have done, but I just ran. I feel like I am wandering aimlessly because I don't know have any races on the calendar other than a 5K in early December. This week, I just want to run. I get to run 3 days in a row because I can't bike tomorrow. I'm still on a high from the HM!

@jorocka - is your HM this weekend coming up?
    @patrikc333 - sorry but I had to laugh at "drizzle perpendicular to your eyes". I know just what you mean. Had it running and biking. When biking in a group, if the street is wet, the bike tire in front of you puts up this stream of water that the bikers call "rooster tail". It is a perfect arc right into the face of the biker behind. After a while you start feeling grit in your teeth which is debris from the road :scream:
  • starryeyedsnoozer
    starryeyedsnoozer Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Can't work out how to do the ticker thing
    @starryeyedsnoozer Go to the first page of this Post where @Stoshew71 has it detailed under *******OPTIONAL TICKER*************. From what I have seen most people misplace the img tags or copy and paste the wrong links.
    Sorry that your son had to have surgery - glad to hear that he is at home which means he is well on his way to recovery. Looking at your log - nothing wrong with your running accomplishments - run - rest - run - rest - run.

Thank you!!!
  • snha
    Options
    @shanaber and @kristinegift thanks. got it. i will go out and do my recovery run now, as a matter of fact !!