I've never seen a persons daily meal include junk food.

Options

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    When I eat junk food I log it unless it is a day of grazing on junk food, like parties with all the dips, appetizers and desserts. That is usually when you see nothing for dinner. I know I am way over, the thought of trying to log all the different delicious food is overwhelming, so I skip it and start logging the next day.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I had pretzels and peanut butter last night and it's logged. My wife and I split a Mrs. Prindable's Triple Chocolate Caramel Apple last week and it went on the diary. I don't know that I eat kink every day, but I don't really do anything to avoid it. If I eat it, it tends to go in the diary. Except weekends. On weekends, I practice eating around maintenance without logging.

ETA: If you go back a week or so in my diary, you'll see how I worked a Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich into my calorie and macro goals.

EATA: I missed your question about working kink (and really, that's what I'm using now for calorie-dense, nutritionally-sparse food from now on) into your diet without triggering a binge. Sorry about that.

I find that the key is preparation, both in the planning and actual food prep. I try to plan my weekly menu and pre-log daily. I leave wiggle room so I can switch out snacks on the fly. When prepping my food, especially if it's kink, I make sure to fully prepare it and "plate" what I'm going to eat, putting everything away before I eat.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm having pizza for lunch today. I don't eat "junk" that often, because it's super difficult for me to fit it within my macro targets (and because I'm a volume eater and can't eat that much "junk" for the calories).
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many people claim that they eat whatever they want, as long as they stay within their calorie limit, but I've never actually seen a sample diet that included junk food, i.e, cookies, chips, etc. Do any of you guys diaries include junk? The reason I'm asking, is because I find it really hard to stay on a diet that doesn't include at least some of the foods I love. I become grumpy, and just kinda depressed in a way, because junk food makes me feel good, if only for a little while. I would just love to know that I'm not the only one that thinks like this. I cannot manage, however, to just eat junk in moderation, without totally binge eating on the stuff. Do any of you have a way to incorporate sweets into your diet, without ending up on a binge? What's your secret, so to speak?

On days when I've been especially "good" I'll have a Dark Cocolate Klondike Bar. 240 calories of reward. Gotta make sure your budget has room for the 240 though ;-)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've heard so many people claim that they eat whatever they want, as long as they stay within their calorie limit, but I've never actually seen a sample diet that included junk food, i.e, cookies, chips, etc. Do any of you guys diaries include junk? The reason I'm asking, is because I find it really hard to stay on a diet that doesn't include at least some of the foods I love. I become grumpy, and just kinda depressed in a way, because junk food makes me feel good, if only for a little while. I would just love to know that I'm not the only one that thinks like this. I cannot manage, however, to just eat junk in moderation, without totally binge eating on the stuff. Do any of you have a way to incorporate sweets into your diet, without ending up on a binge? What's your secret, so to speak?

I had chips yesterday. Most people mean that they have it sometimes, not daily. And usually as a snack, not as part of the meal. I intend to have a cookie later today also.

There have definitely been days where I binge on it, and then regret it later. I'm working on having no regrets now... i.e. moderation. I find joining challenges with people on these forums is a nice motivation! Maybe keep you eyes out for one :) It's a great way to connect to people plus it gives a purpose to trying a little harder. Interesting that I still find it easier to work hard for other people than I do for myself..
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I have a little something that some would consider "junk" almost every day. It's not in my diary because I'm not logging at the moment. If I was, it would be there.
  • MollysJourneyToBetterHealth
    Options
    Well, I try to follow the iifym rule. I don't go by calories so much as I do macros. They are what really matter to working on your physique. Sounds like you've gotten a good amount of support, which is what this is all about! Good luck and keep working towards your goals in whatever way best suits YOU!
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I include junk food when I eat it. But i try to limit it to occasional and very small portions, like I'll eat a donut at work once a week with coffee, but I'll stop myself from earing 3 donuts or 2 muffins like I used to before. I also stopped buying calorie dense foods I used to eat a lot of like cheese, bacon, cake.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You guys are my people. I have chocolate, or a treat, every day. It gets logged, because I ate it! I just make sure to make it fit. I also LOVE telling people that I've lost over 100 lbs eating chocolate every day... their faces and responses make me giggle inside.
  • vegemitesandwich
    vegemitesandwich Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Unashamed junk food eater here. Today I had cider, cookies and ice cream.. yesterday BEER, cookies and ice cream.. crisps, tortilla chips, I'm an equal opportunity snacker I just make room for it and have one or two. Not 20. Sadly.

My diary's open, so anyone's welcome to look in and see.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I had subway AND wendys yesterday and was 100 over my calorie goal whoops :wink: its okay though because today I am right back on track!
  • saitiffeh
    saitiffeh Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I had a hershey's milk chocolate bar last night... 210 calories and killed my sweet tooth craving. I personally find its easier to have something like that once a week, it keeps me from snacking on junk all the time because I know I have that special chocolate prize coming up.
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat some junk food. But different junk than what I ate before. Because since I've picked up healthier eating, anything super greasy makes me feel physically ill. I used to love french fries and fried chicken, but now the thought of it makes me queasy. Other than that, I eat what I want. Kit Kats and cinnabons are a weakness.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Wow! I don't know who your friends are but my friends always log a little "junk" food in their diaries. I think that they don't have a whole day of eating "junk". Usually they log protein foods, veggies, fruit and breads and then maybe a couple of cookies or an ice cream sandwich or glass of wine....say less than 10% of their daily diary. I eat volumes of food but still try to save a little room for a few cookies. It's a life style. Who wants to go through life and not enjoy a little sugar? I did cut out pizza for now because it majorly stalled my weight loss. Really don't miss it as much as I thought that I would. I keep my snacks in a drawer and make sure that I get at least 70 gms of protein and my fiber requirements....then I go to the snack drawer. Sometimes I wait until after midnight...I work the night shift so it works for me. I have lost 54 pounds...6 more to reach goal and have been on here a little more than 1000 days.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Its a math problem, if you want to eat junk thats higher in calories then you have to deduct those calories somewhere else in your diet, or burn it off in the gym. One piece of cake isn't going to make you gain ten pounds, its about your lifestyle choices are you active and staying under your calorie goal or are you constantly overeating...That being said if your calorie goal to lose is 1200 cals a day, you could eat 1200 cals worth the ice cream and candy and still loose as long as your at your goal. However, your body will notice the difference based on what you are eating so keep that in mind when making your choices. I drink every Friday Night, and I eat some form of chocolate once a week, it hasnt kept me from losing 30lbs. Good Luck!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I log cookies, candy, soda, etc. I'm going to be honest in my diary. I would only be cheating myself. And my diary is open to my friends.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I do eat whatever I want, but it rarely includes what you term "junk" food....if it does, it gets logged, whether it be a cookie or some chips......alcohol would be my "junk" I guess, and yup, I log that too, every ounce....
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm back on. You guys are the best. It's good to know that so many of you still eat delicious foods, and still lose weight. I would hate to know that I had to eat grilled chicken and broccoli every day, oh, and a salad with low cal dressing. Not that there's anything wrong with those foods, but I'm not usually in the mood for just "healthy food" If I can have just a little "junk" every day, that is comforting to know. Also, I reread my original post, and to clarify, I mostly had in mind diet books and tv gurus when I said I never see people including junk in their diet. Thanks guys, for all the replies on this subject.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I heard the word gelato and came running. Last Saturday I had lunch out followed by a doughnut at Dunkin, and I was under my calories for the day (barely, and my sodium was out of hand), but I was still under. :P
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm back on. You guys are the best. It's good to know that so many of you still eat delicious foods, and still lose weight. I would hate to know that I had to eat grilled chicken and broccoli every day, oh, and a salad with low cal dressing. Not that there's anything wrong with those foods, but I'm not usually in the mood for just "healthy food" If I can have just a little "junk" every day, that is comforting to know. Also, I reread my original post, and to clarify, I mostly had in mind diet books and tv gurus when I said I never see people including junk in their diet. Thanks guys, for all the replies on this subject.

Keep in mind that those people are trying to sell you something, whether it be a product or a program to follow. There's not a lot of money to be made in advising people that they can lose weight eating all the foods they enjoy, in moderation, that the only thing that really matters is CICO... Believe me, many people here would love to profit from the "eat less move more" concept but it's just not as flashy for some reason...