WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE

Options

Replies

• mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone..........

Another dash in here tonight.
    :angry: The computer was offline all day and most of the night.
    I therefore couldn't play scrabble and have withdrawal symptoms!! Also couldn't chat via scrabble to my SIL in Jersey or to my step mum in SE England.

:smile: Soooooooooo....instead of just watching TV and eating i managed to paint the conservatory. Good choice methinks!!

:smile: Also today DH and I finished valeting the new vehicle we have "Acquired". #1 son had an MPV for his disco business but 2 years ago one of the DJ's blew the engine up! :sad: The "Van" sat neglected for ages with no one being able to afford the repair. The business disbanded and said son got the van. We had thought we could use it ,if we repaired it ,to get my mum to and fro hospital appts etc. Her wheelchair would have gone in easily etc. but the chap repairing it took ages to do anything and sadly mum passed away before we got it fixed. Anyway.......I am now the owner of this very versatile Van...we've taken all the logo stickers off today, cleaned all the mould off the insides, cleaned it and polished it..........:happy: definitely a few calories burnt there I think!!
    We're hoping to sell the vehicle soon, recoup our expenses and give our son the remainder £. That's the theory anyway ....we could all drive to Center Parcs- Sherwood forest - in it at the end of July + bikes!! DH would like to keep it!!

:flowerforyou: We're looking forward to welcoming some foreign students into our home in a few weeks. We've joined the team of people providing bed and board for short term courses. Soooo......we'll have to get our new dining room building finished asap. They're italian teenagers ..........should I be feeding them Spag. bol?? The extra £ will come in handy too!

:happy: Hey Amanda ......we had paella tonight too. One of my all time favourites. Do you use pre made seasoning?

:yawn: Well ....I'm off to bed now. DH is home from work. :laugh: It took him quite a while to realise i'd done some painting!!

Hope you all have a great Wednesday tomorrow.

BFN
    :heart: Jackie.
  • eotrg
    eotrg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Pam, Geri and Annelise! (Geri, we are the same age, I just turned 54 on Friday, and have been coming to MFP for just over 30 days. I know how much it has helped me, and I hope that you’ll find it helps you a lot, too.)

It is very hot here in Ohio, but because we had a lot of rain this morning, I didn’t have to water the gardens. That’s good, I think I could have melted out there in the heat and humidity today! :devil: I did an hour on my treadmill, though, so I felt good about that.
    :smile: Hope everyone is having a good day!
    Deborah
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Believe it or not, it is finally hot here in Ontario too!. I had to go to the Doctor today. I have had slight asthma for years. I haven't needed mediation for a long time. I finally had to give in and get something. It has been too damp this year and my lungs are :ùnder`stress`as the doctor puts it. He put me on symbicort. But what a surprise - my blood pressure is also high. He put me on blood pressure meds too!. So I go from being drug free to 2 drugs in one day.

I am not very happy about it. I asked him if I lost the 30 pounds I want to lose if that would help. He said it couldnt hurt`but it may not lower my blood pressure. How disappointing.¸I am going to try anyway.

Now I have even more reason to lose. Also I have to have the fasting blood tests in a few weeks. He thinks I may be diabetic too now.

57 years and now I fall apart. Oh well what will be will be.
    smwert
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Just popping in for a quick hello. I typed my fingers to nubbins yesterday. A big welcome to Annelise. Her message made me think about my journey. I'm glad my story rang a bell for some of you. That's what this is all about - helping each other. So many of you have helped me in so many ways. Thanks!
    :heart:
  • wehavethestars
    Options
    Just a short post, not feeling well, but had to read what I could.

Mimi, I read your story and it was inspirational. Very truthful and on the mark.
    I agree that this thread is about helping each other , support and more support.

Welcome to the new people, best wishes for your success.

Barbie, sounds like you had a great time. Good!

Falling asleep. Good night friends.

Star
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    We're going to Mexican Train dominoes tonight, so you'll just see "quick add calories". I will try to be good. Will report back in as to what I had. I know that I'm taking 3 bottles of water with me, that I'll avoid the desserts (unless there's fruit), I'm taking these cheese meatballs. The recipe says that it makes 48 and that 3 meatballs equals 148 calories. I actually made 81!

Did an hour of incline intervals on the treadmill today, then went and bought the strawberries to take tomorrow, then bought gas, came home and cut up the key lime bars to take tomorrow. Then bowled 5 games. Honestly, we had 2 coupons for 2 free games, but seeing how I'd gone to the senior practice yesterday (free for 2 hours), I felt bad just bowling 4 games and getting them for free. Of course, we'll pay the league tomorrow, but that's only $7. Out of 5 games, I broke 100 four times and came close the fifth. Now I'm making something for Vince to eat for dinner (since he most likely won't want to eat there, except for the desserts). Tomorrow...yoga and then deep water, then to the store to pick up the cantaloupe and watermelon along with a container of dip (which I won't eat, but I know some people like it). If I have to, I'll donate the rest of the dip to the soup kitchen. On second thought, I bet it has a pretty long shelf life. I'm hosting bunco later in the month and I was thinking about having two desserts -- fruit and these lemon bars. Mainly I want to see which people prefer. So I can use the dip with the fruit!

Welcome Annelise. I'm so glad Mary invited you. Yes, this IS a wonderful bunch of women.

Geri - I'm going to TRY (note the word) to have a larger lunch and just cereal for dinner. Like I said, TRY because Vince wants his meat and potatoes for dinner. I usually try to have some sort of protein as that is most filling and takes a long time to digest. Egg whites, tuna, sardines, even sometimes cheese, cottage cheese. Oh, and I try to get in lots of veges, but that doesn't always happen. Chicken

Mary (msh) - glad you had a safe trip!

Gotta tell you ladies...I'm wearing this shirt, I bought it in the junior dept. Fortunately, it doesn't look too too young. But I had to get a medium! Maybe they weren't juniors after all. The shirt is sleeveless, it's in the 90's here today and they expect the same for tomorrow.

Pam - so glad you joined us! Good luck on your surgery. Tell us more about it, why you need it and what they hope to accomplish.

I just took the cheese meatballs out of the oven. Honestly, I'm very surprised at how good they are! But I do think that the next time I make them, I'll use 1/2 turkey breast and 1/2 ground beef. The recipe calls for ground beef only.

Amanda - happy early birthday!

Just got back from the Mexican train. I did pretty well on the eating, had shrimp, some of the cheese meatballs I made, veggiesl But on the way home I had this intense desire to just eat and eat and eat. I'm not sure what triggered it, I'm thinking that maybe it was the chocolates that I had (3 small pieces). It's not that I was hungry, actually, I was full. Oh well....tomorrow I WILL do better. It's going to be a busy day. Get up, go to the Y for yoga and then water aerobics, stop at one food store to get the fruit and just a few other things, come home and if I have time, put the fruit in the serving dish, go to bowling league, come home, we have to leave the house early since I need to buy the ice for the meeting. We already have a lot of the supplies in the car, like the coffee urn, most of the supplies, etc. We're going to put our bowling balls in my car, then if we're running late we can just take Vince's car to the meeting. Somewhere in there I need to try to get the garbage and recyclables out. I'm going to take bottles of water in case we need to water down the coffee. They aren't sure how much water to how much coffee grounds we'll need, so that will be an experiment. Not sure when we'll have dinner, IF we will.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I have almost gotten to the bottom of the pile of paperwork and computer projects that accumulated over the weekend.:bigsmile: we had some rain today so two of my walks with the dogs were in the rain:bigsmile: they don't care, they love being out and prefer cooler weather

:bigsmile: Mary, thanks for checking in and letting us know that you got to Texas safely :bigsmile: I know you will make the most of your visit

:bigsmile: Vicki, glad to hear that you're still making strides in your running.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :

bigsmile: Geri, I'm retired so i don't have the challenge of bringing a lunch to work, but a suggestion I can add is frozen vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, winter squash).......most can be heated in the microwave in the bag (cut a slit to let the steam out) and spray a little I Can't Believe it's not Butter and have a nice size low calorie nutritious snack

:bigsmile: someone commented on the Kashi pizza I had for lunch yesterday......we buy Kashi pizza and put chopped tomatoes and sweet onions and low fat cheese on top and the two of us split the pizza :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Pam, I love the picture of your dog :bigsmile: you are right, the day to start this new lifestyle is today :bigsmile: :bigsmile: we are glad to have you with us:bigsmile: best wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery:bigsmile: there are probably some things you can do to improve your fitness as you recover

:bigsmile: Amanda, it's so good to hear about you walking and being busy and feeling healthy again :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Jackie, doing household chores, like painting and cleaning out the van are fabulous ways to burn calories and stay fit

:bigsmile: smwert, don't let the medications discourage you :bigsmile: just keep on with your journey and trust that no matter what else is going on, losing weight will help you feel better

:flowerforyou: Mimi, your incredible weight loss and your insights about your journey are inspirational....thank you for sharing at length

:bigsmile: Star, I hope you feel better soon:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Michele, cheese meatballs sound delicious :bigsmile:

:drinker: :drinker: I hope to be back soon to sharing more about "The Thin Commandments Diet" :bigsmile: the section I'm reading now is about certain foods actually make you crave more (so my insanity last year about the Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal last year and peanut butter last month weren't just my imagination):laugh:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Star,hope you feel better quick
    jane:flowerforyou:
  • joylaut
    joylaut Posts: 68
    Options
    My favorite lunch to take to work is baby spinach, topped with walnuts, crumbled feta, fresh raspberries (if not in season then dried cranberries) and smoked salmon pieces. Toss with a raspberry walnut or balsamic vinegrette.
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies:

Hope everyone is well. We had quite the light show in the sky las night around the area last night and it promises to hit 41 celsius today which would be about 110 farenheit with the humidex. They say we might break a record last set in 1959. Lucky us :smile:

Marilyn: Hope your dog feels better with his allergies.

Natalie: At least you finally have the scale moving in the right direction and that is what counts.

Michele: I envy you cooking/baking for so many. I don't know how you do it. That is like a full time job in and of itself!!

Annelise/Geri: Welcome to both of you. You will enjoy this site, There is lots of support to be had.

Barbie. I love hearing about your dance group. It sounds like such fun.

Lorri. I agree with you; this group and MFP can make an impact on someone to change their lives for the better. Also, good for you for sticking with the program while your daughter had her "pizza party". That shows you that it is working!!

Mary: Glad to hear you made it to Texas okay and that your little Luke is so cute. Sorry that his Mom is in pain and hope that she feels well soon.

Aim2lose: I agree with genealace in that I think you might be setting yourself up to fail, maybe set your goals a little lower and you will do fine. Positive thinking and you will make it!!

genealace: That was great advice.

Cindy: Sounds like your kitchen is coming along. Also, on the coritsone issue, I know from my husband who has adrenal disease, that the cortisome is a hormone that is produced from the adrenal gland and yes it can produce belly fat and it can be activated by stress. But that is not to say that it can not be dieted away. My husband, who is a "worrier" has to be careful about his diet or he gains weight quickly because he had 1 adrenal gland removed already due to the disease he has. That is what the surgeon told us anyway.

Pam: Best of luck with your surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

rjadams: I do my food like that too. I prepare a lot on the weekends so that I am prepared through the week as I eat my main meal at lunch time.

Amanda: How was the fish pedicure? I have heard about them but never known anyone who has had it done.

smwert: I have had asthma since my 20's but this year seems to be a particularly bad year for it; I too had to go back on Symbacort for the first time in years. It must be all this rain we have been having. You know what, I think if you lose the weight, I think you will find that your blood pressure and diabetes will change too, so just continue and see where it takes you.

Mimi: You always have such words of wisdom, I always enjoy your posts as well.

Anyway, ladies. Onward and upward. A busy day here again at work.

So, everyone, have a good day and talk to you soon.

Cathy
  • Jeanne3651
    Jeanne3651 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Hope those of you not feeling well get better soon. Does this horrible heat and humidity have anything to do with what ails any of you. I've been holding my own, had one day that I was sick from the heat but am better now. I try to get all my exercise and errands done in the earley a.m. so I can hibernate in the house during the hottest part of the day. Today my water aerobics class is from 11 - 12 so I'll be out when it's warmer.

I have a goal of drinking more water today and also to get some sewing done.

Well I have to run to start getting things done in the house. Hope everyone has a good day!
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just have time to read your posts today. It seems like the weather is finally warming up for most of you - wish I could say the same here! I can't imagine having a day that is too warm. Hope you all have a great day and meet your goals!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    cold, dark and rainy. will someone please tell spring that is should come back to Washington.:laugh: Summer should be here soon but it sure doesn't look or feel like it.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

:happy: Hey Amanda ......we had paella tonight too. One of my all time favourites. Do you use pre made seasoning?

:heart: Jackie.

Hi Jackie, no - never use the pre made stuff. I just add loads of fresh herbs plus a good pinch of saffron and some paprika.

xx
  • tiarapants
    Options

Amanda: How was the fish pedicure? I have heard about them but never known anyone who has had it done.

Cathy

It was fabulous. My feet have honestly never been smoother or softer! I do feel sorry for the fish though!

xx
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

rjadams - spring has by-passed us too (Ottawa, Canada) - it is like mid-summer with temperature today forecast at 33c, but with a humidex of 40+. Linda - 33c is not too warm, but the humidex is what makes it so uncomfortable.

I'm lawn bowling this morning so I hope it isn't too hot, too early. This afternoon DBF and I will go to the mall to walk the circuit and stop for a tea. He is trying to lose weight too, but has gained the last couple of weeks. I think he is feeling a bit complacent because he has lost about 20lbs, but earlier in the year he had lost 25lbs. He has bad knees so it is important for him to keep on the downward trend.

My sneak peek this morning looks like the one pound I'm nibbling away at, is on its way out and I'm going to have to choose a new one to work on soon.

I was in Spain earlier this year and one of the things I was looking forward to was a 'real' paella. But we were so busy that we ended up eating in every day. Perhaps next year.
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined and hope this site will help me reach my goals of being more fit and weighing less. I love Zumba and tennis. I have more time to exercise in the summer as I am off from work. I am going to start working with a trainer 2 times a week to really learn how to get fit in a safe way. I went out for dinner last night and had trout with vegetables....yum! I did not eat any bread so I had a glass of wine....delish!!
  • tiarapants
    Options
    Hello ladies.

Chilly and damp in London today.

I went to the hospital rehabilitation gym for my induction today. It was extremely thorough but I now have an embarrassing problem. Where I was using the rowing machine, I have given myself huge bloody blisters on my bum! It is probably because there is less fat in that area now, but still quite a bit of loose skin. As I am typing this, I am sat sideways on with my left buttock raised! Very fetching! Padded knickers may be the order of the day from now on.

Do you ladies use elliptical cross trainers at home? As some of you know, I have a pretty extensive home gym and was thinking of adding a cross trainer. Any recommendations?

Better get off my (rather sore) bottom and achieve something now.

Have a good day my friends.

Love

Amanda x
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    On c1d8r2, and doing ok, maintained my weight now for 3 days, no loss, but not unexpected, I am a very slow loser.
    We had a/c checked yesterday afternoon, when tech guy came, it was working, when he left, it was not, I went to play cards last night, and came home at 10 PM, hubby didn't even notice it was 80 in the house, he was at computer under fan, grrrr, I said, a/c not working what gives? Called the service, a 24 hour service, and a nice guy walked hubby thru the steps to get it running, the DUMB tech that was here forgot to put the plug back in the outside unit after he cleaned it and hosed it off... DUH! Needless to say, I called this AM and complained about this TECH, the a/c is running again, thanks to a nice man who walked hubby thru the procedure to plug it back in...
    Anyway, off to get SHOT in KNEE (ouch), then come home and ICE ICE ICE..
    Natalie
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovelies! It's taken me days just to skim the posts.
    WOW, some of you are already harvesting? We haven't even put out transplants yet, since there's still snow on Shaefer's butte...
    It warmed up some this weekend, then terrific rainstorm yesterday. It's been a very wet spring here in SW Idaho, slug patrol counts continue high, the river and canals are all way high... Love all your lunch recommendations. Will help me mix it up, sometimes get bored with salad and lean protein. Brining your own not only helps shrink the middle, but enlarge the pocketbook :wink:

grabbit97 what kind of dog is zoey? Where does she visit? How long has she been doing therapy. That's something I'd like to do when I retire and get my retirement puppy. :love:
    Faye 20 lb newfie? LOL! OK I'd like a 15 lb Bouvier
    cherubcrnp 4 pant sizes WOWOWOW!
    SMVQ Scary about the mountain lion, any recent evidence? We live in suburbs on edge of foothills, and I saw one strolling across the road late one afternoon, following the deer trail down to the river. Neighbors lost their Bichon to a coyote last year, very sad. We're all careful now not to let pets out front unguarded. Maybe your DD was jealous you found the fringed suede jacket first. Wear it with a BIG smile, or send it to me!!! Allergic to rain? LOL! Loved your story. I too have always been self-critical, trying to be more gentle and make friends with myself, but it's a struggle. You have always been beautiful and now it shows outside too, just LOOK at your picture!
    chicletgirl con VERY gratulations on both the swimming suit and the swimming! You go gal!
    star walking buddy house calls? I'll ask her. :)
    . . .
    when I bring a healthy dish to a gathering of any kind.:grumble: I go to where there are members of TOPS and they should know better, but always say things like "this is a party". I guess it is mindset and they just don't want to change. Perhaps they feel deprived.:noway: They are really depriving themselves ,with each bite of fattening food, of better health.
    Thanks for the reminder that I can CHOOSE better health.
    genealace bobbin lace? anything like tatting?
    sissygok nikon lenses with a dozen different colored sleeves for the temples? Sign me up!
    I'm not a dancer, but I plan on using my wii to workout. Do you know if they have a dance program?
    Yes selmaguzman, there are wii Dance games. I have the Dance Dance Revolution 3 but I don't like the music enough to do it very often. The Zumba game has gotten mixed reviews so I'm waiting for the next version. Anyone else have a favorite wii based dance game?
    Amanda with your bright orange and blue nails, are you a fan of American College football? Those are our school's (Boise State University) colors, the field even has blue turf!
    Totally missed my goal for May and not doing much better for June. Where is my willpower? My "I can do it"?
    Aim2lose did you find your "I can do it" ? Barbie tells us to stick to what we want most instead of what we want at the moment. What I want (not to be) most ... B U L G E S out at me from every mirror...
    Geri thanks for asking the lunch question!
    Amanda what on earth is a fish pedicure? How about adding in a massage for you birthday spa treatment as consolation for DH having to work?
    Jackie what color did you paint the conservatory? Wish we had one, the growing season here is sooo short. Let's see, the Library is in trasition to an exercise room, maybe with a few plant lights... that would mean giving up even more books and bookshelves, noooooooooo...
    Michelle cheese meatballs? Would you share the recipe?

Anyone heard from Barb (weaklink109) recently? She'd have the links to the real info on stress/cortisol/belly fat and whether or not we metabolize honey differently from sugar. Miss her piggies stories too ;{

and Barbie and Mimi thank you both for your continuing inspiration. Checking in DOES strenghten the resolve... but now really must dash to work.