What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Alidecker wrote: »
    That people won't believe you don't have a "secret weapon" for weight loss.

When people ask me how I'm losing the weight, I tell them I use MFP and exercise. They then INSIST I must have a "secret." That I must be taking pills or using wraps or something like that.

I've literally overheard someone say "people don't lose that much weight without help. She must be taking Plexus or something and just doesn't want to admit it."

Jealous, much? :D
    Yes this one!! Happens all the time. They lean in like you are about to impart this awesome secret and then almost seem angry that you won't tell them your "secret".

Yes, the "eat less, move more" answer doesn't satisfy many people.

My husband actually gave me *kitten* for giving this answer. "Why didn't you tell her (his grandma) that you're lifting weights and counting calories?" I did. . . I eat less and move more. . .

Exactly, it's pretty simple...if I could just stick with the "eat less" part better :) I used to tell people in more detail what I was doing, but they got the glazed over look in their eyes because they really wanted to hear that I took a magic pill, so I shortened it to the "I eat less and move more"
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member

When people ask me how I'm losing the weight, I tell them I use MFP and exercise. They then INSIST I must have a "secret." That I must be taking pills or using wraps or something like that.

I've literally overheard someone say "people don't lose that much weight without help. She must be taking Plexus or something and just doesn't want to admit it."

Yes this one!! Happens all the time. They lean in like you are about to impart this awesome secret and then almost seem angry that you won't tell them your "secret".

My husband actually gave me *kitten* for giving this answer. "Why didn't you tell her (his grandma) that you're lifting weights and counting calories?" I did. . . I eat less and move more. . .

Exactly, it's pretty simple...if I could just stick with the "eat less" part better :) I used to tell people in more detail what I was doing, but they got the glazed over look in their eyes because they really wanted to hear that I took a magic pill, so I shortened it to the "I eat less and move more"

LOL. I finally quit saying "I'm eating less and moving more." Now, I just say "I'm using a program called myfitnesspal.com." Then they're happy and say they should give it a try. And I hope that they do!

I love your obfuscation.

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    dizzzigrl wrote: »
    dklorete wrote: »
    4mricandy wrote: »
    Stay off the scale!!! The belt is the ultimate motivator!!!
    very true
    I haven't weighed myself in a year!!!! Its weird though when people ask me "wow, you look great, how much have you lost"? and I tell them I have no idea, they look at me funny like I am lying to them!

Similar here. I have never weighed myself since starting this journey. For me personally it is a de-motivator. So when I get this question I just say, "not quite as much as I want to" and leave it at that
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    I didn't expect that sleeping on trains and planes would get easier and less painful. I don't know how much is the weight loss (less back fat and using up less of the seat) and how much is the weight lifting (stronger back and neck) but I can now fall asleep sitting semi-upright without having my head fall forward or sideways (which is so uncomfortable), and without having lumbar pain after 4-5 hours.

That said, only works if the seat is well cushioned, because I'm not carrying much of a cushion anymore...
  • dzmikki
    dzmikki Posts: 254 Member
    This is an amazing thread! I will be coming back to read it often!
  • luvwords1996
    luvwords1996 Posts: 90 Member
    kar328 wrote: »
    That the tears that can well up in a dressing room can be happy ones. I just fit into a size 8 pair of jeans. I was wearing 24 when I started this (and not jeans). And that reaching for smalls and mediums on the racks is strange. So very strange

Wow! Such an inspiring post! Congratulations!!
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    That trying to keep up with the boys when you're 60 pounds lighter results in you getting embarrassingly plastered. :disappointed:
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member

Whenever I tell people that, they don't believe me. There MUST be something else you're doing. One of my wife's relatives assumed I lost all this weight solely because I "must have started lifting weights". It always has to be something.
  • rosy2car
    rosy2car Posts: 13 Member

OMGooooshhh! This is the most frustrating to me! I hate it when the first thing they ask is "What are you taking?"
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    That the tears that can well up in a dressing room can be happy ones. I just fit into a size 8 pair of jeans. I was wearing 24 when I started this (and not jeans). And that reaching for smalls and mediums on the racks is strange. So very strange

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    SCP0914 wrote: »
    That trying to keep up with the boys when you're 60 pounds lighter results in you getting embarrassingly plastered. :disappointed:

I'm only 11kgs lighter but yep. My alcohol tolerance has gone out the window
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    GillianLF wrote: »
    Virkati wrote: »
    LOOK AT MY MUSCLES!!

:smiley: I keep saying that to my partner and making these ridiculous poses. Cheek of him the other night he said "maybe I cant notice it cause I see you every day". So I tensed even harder and shouted LOOK AT MY MUSCLES :)I see them

Haha that was totally me all the time and then one day all of a sudden my hubs was like whoa! That's a real muscle!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!