October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @7lenny7 Those trails are gorgeous, and remind me of some of the trails we have at home. Making me quite Midwest homesick! Also, nice distance PR! Are you training for a marathon or just racking up mileage?
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well, since I have been lurking, I guess it is time to announce myself. My target for the month is 100 miles. Here is my progress to date

Date Day Miles MTD
    1-Oct Thu 5.58 5.58
    2-Oct Fri 5.46 11.04
    3-Oct Sat 4.08 15.12
    5-Oct Mon 4.25 19.37
    6-Oct Tue 5.12 24.49
    7-Oct Wed 5.0 29.49
    8-Oct Thu 3.48 32.97
    11-Oct Sun 1.79 34.76
    12-Oct Mon 6.15 40.91
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @7lenny7 Those trails are gorgeous, and remind me of some of the trails we have at home. Making me quite Midwest homesick! Also, nice distance PR! Are you training for a marathon or just racking up mileage?

@kristinegift, a little bit of both.

I have a half marathon on Halloween. I have a training plan that a friend put together for me but I've greatly exceeded the plan miles. At the time he created it I told him I just wanted to be able to finish and he came up with a great plan for that. Since then I've come to really love running and my body has withstood the rigors quite well (I wasn't very sore at all after this past run) so I've been running more, and more often, than scheduled. If I had a few more weeks to train (and no hunting trips planned), I do think I'd be ready for a full this year yet.

As it stands, my goal for the half has gone from just wanting to finish, to 2:15 and now, based on my recent 5K results and training results, I'm shooting for a sub 2 hour run. During that 18 mile run I ran the first 14 miles at a 10:30 pace, then ran 3 miles at about a 9:10 pace, finished with a one mile cool down. I was a little surprised and encouraged that I was able to do those three miles at the end quicker than my hopeful HM pace only getting 4 hours of sleep the night before.

I really wish I could fit in a full marathon this fall, but it will have to wait until next year. Even if I went out of state to run one, my training will fall apart in November.

I think the link I posted only takes you a single photo. This should take you to the entire album of photos I took that day:
    http://1drv.ms/1ZwyvNi
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    10/1 8.25 treadmill run at just around 12:00
    10/2 3.75 treadmill run at 11:28
    10/3 rest

10/4 3.0 @ 12:03 outside
    10/5 unplanned busy busy "rest" day
    10/6 5.25 @ 11:40 on the treadmill, plus strength training
    10/7 6.0 @ 12:05 on the park trail (and 2.5 walking to and from school/warm up/cool down--not counted)
    10/8 rest
    10/9 5.25 @ 11:14 on the treadmill, plus strength training
    10/10 rest

10/11 4.5 @ 11:49 on the park trail, just a nice, enjoyable run on a beautiful Sunday morning
    10/12 4.0 @ 12:00 on the treadmill, nice and easy

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@kristinegift, a little bit of both.

I have a half marathon on Halloween. I have a training plan that a friend put together for me but I've greatly exceeded the plan miles. At the time he created it I told him I just wanted to be able to finish and he came up with a great plan for that. Since then I've come to really love running and my body has withstood the rigors quite well (I wasn't very sore at all after this past run) so I've been running more, and more often, than scheduled. If I had a few more weeks to train (and no hunting trips planned), I do think I'd be ready for a full this year yet.

As it stands, my goal for the half has gone from just wanting to finish, to 2:15 and now, based on my recent 5K results and training results, I'm shooting for a sub 2 hour run. During that 18 mile run I ran the first 14 miles at a 10:30 pace, then ran 3 miles at about a 9:10 pace, finished with a one mile cool down. I was a little surprised and encouraged that I was able to do those three miles at the end quicker than my hopeful HM pace only getting 4 hours of sleep the night before.

I really wish I could fit in a full marathon this fall, but it will have to wait until next year. Even if I went out of state to run one, my training will fall apart in November.

I think the link I posted only takes you a single photo. This should take you to the entire album of photos I took that day:
    http://1drv.ms/1ZwyvNi

It sounds like you'll definitely be ready for a full next year then! I'm glad that you've taken to running these longer distancesso well, and that the long miles have taken a liking to you! I'm excited to hear how the Halloween half goes! :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Date Miles today. Miles for October

10/1 6.6 miles - 6.6
    10/2 6.75 miles - 13.35
    10/3 22.1 miles - 35.45
    10/4 REST DAY
    10/5 10.75 miles - 46.2
    10/6 10.5 miles - 56.7
    10/7 6.6 miles - 63.3
    10/8 10 miles - 73.3
    10/9 6.75 miles - 80.05
    10/10 3.88 miles - 83.93 <<< Warrior Dash
    10/11 REST DAY
    10/12 10.25 miles - 94.18

exercise.png

I have some catching up to do. Will get to it later. Had the day off from work today for Columbus Day. Went to Planet Fitness with my wife and some other things. Warrior Dash on Saturday was fun. I did it twice. First time was mostly hiking (walking) since I did it with Jennifer. The second time I did it by myself and ran the whole thing. I logged only the second time above. Pictures can be seen on my Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/therunningstan
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

exercise.png

10/11- rest day
    10/12-4.32 miles

Congratulations to everyone that finished races this weekend!

Edited to correct the date.
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So I'm not really sure what to do here. I took three days off last week because of shin splints, woke up the next day fine, ran, and shin splints are back again. I've been following C25k and did week 6 day 2 on Saturday. Is this program going too fast for me? Could it be my shoes? I don't know but this is really frustrating because I don't want to mess up my running schedule. I'm the type that will quit if I have too many days off. I don't want to quit!

MTD - 20.3
  • kristinegift
    Options
    10/1: 8 miles am and 6.2 pm with the Thursday crew
    10/2: Rest day
    10/3: 10 miles with Saturday crew
    10/4: 13.1 - Princeton Half Marathon (new HM PR!)
    10/5: 5 miles recovery style
    10/6: O Holy Rest Day........
    10/7: 7 miles hills
    10/8: 10 miles (am), 6.4 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    10/9: Rest day
    10/10: 20.5 miles
    10/11: 4 miles
    10/12: Rest day

Wasn't sure if I was going to rest today or tomorrow (usually my LR is Sun and my rest is Tues, but everything got shifted a day), but my mind was made for me when I woke up briefly, checked my clock, saw it was 6:30, and then fell right back to sleep for an hour. Sometimes I forget how much I live for rest day sleep-ins.

90.2/220

exercise.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    August: 66.23 of 75 miles
    September 79.3 of 92

October.... I'm going to aim I think for 50.
    10.1.15... 4.... 33 min- rainy but good.
    10.3.15- 12 miler FLOP
    10.6.15...3.04....26 Min- late night run- felt really stressed in the lungs- think the lack of a long run might have been a bad call. Ah well.
    10.7.15... 2... 16:30- easy shake out run- technically the last official run before the half- but I suspect we'll go for a light easy miler Friday night. I think I'm going to opt out of my new belt for this weekend- I have essentially only run 5 miles in it- it was okay with a shirt on- but I prefer running shirtless- and it just rubs a little to much for my own comfort for that time frame. I'll use my beat up arm band as I always have and call it a day.

10.10.15...13.18...1:58- HALF ACCOMPLISHED.

22.22 of 50

Total Half Training Mileage DONE!
    206.58 of total 225

I'm not unhappy that I am just shy of the total 225- I'm also comfortably happy along in my 50 miles for this month.

I was deeply considering doing the Trenton half- but at this point it's 100$ and I can't do that- I have a new costume set to purchase- so yeah- no so much on that- I'll be looking for something else a little more financially reasonably for myself. :D

• CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    10/5 3.5 miles
    10/6 4.0 miles
    10/8 3.0 miles
    10/11 3.75 miles
    10/12 4.5 miles for a total of 18.75 miles out of a goal of 42 miles.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @Jorock816 Congrats on your half, and to you too @MamaMollyt for your 10km placement! Well done both of you!

I'm taking the day off here and for Canadian Thanksgiving am cooking turkey and all that goes with it. Yesterday hit the hills a hike up to Dog Mountain with family and friends, and an even longer urban hike later to help loosen up after Saturday's race. Back to running Tuesday, assuming I can move after tonight's dinner. :smile:
  • sybabe35
    sybabe35 Posts: 99 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My goal is 70 miles for the month. The rain in NC restrained me from running and now being sick, I'm not sure if I'll hit my goal but I definitely want to set a higher bar!. I want to put this down here tonight and I'll create a ticker and log the miles I have done already in October.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1 hr 58 minutes and 7 seconds!!!!

And no sh**tting on myself!!

DOUBLE WIN WIN!

I had a really wonderful weekend- it was a horribly long day out there- took something like 5 plus hrs with the crappy weather- we went to bed around 1130 PM I think. We set oatmeal up for room service/delivery for the morning 7AM- I tend to not eat before running so I really didn't eat that much of mine- our race was at 8:30 and it was nice a crisp and cool. I dumped my henley about 1/2 mile in over a flower box I thought I could easily retrieve it later. We ran the C and O Canal for a little whiles then headed into the Antietam Battle Field- so we ran up up up up up up through to the top of the battle field- essentially up to where the now Observation tower (WHERE THERE WAS A *kitten* BAG PIPPER!!! SERIOUSLY! BEST MIDWAY RACE SURPRISE EVER) is and across Bloody lane and the Sunken road. then came back down essentially into town and down down down back into the stadium to finish. My bestie stayed with her brother- he had some knee problems and she was really worried about him over doing it- so she opted to stay with him. I felt SLIGHTLY douchey running on my own- but we had already discussed we weren't officially running together. They finished about 2:15 I think. I stuffed my face with 2 pieces of pizza and stretched out and was getting ready to head back out to go find them but they were rounding the corner to head into the stadium so I yelled at them and cheered them on.
    Also- I may have started cheering F**K YES at the line... when I realized I made my under 2 hr time frame. PS- west Virginians do not appreciate that sort of cheering the same way they do here.

We cooled down and stretched- had some chow etc etc and then parked ourselves on the very last tiny hill and cheered the marathoners on as they came home. I hadn't ever watched marathoners finish before- so that was really interesting for me- plus it was cool to actually just cheer people on as they finished.

We hobbled home to the Inn (also where awards were) foam rolled and showered and then hobbled to the awards ceremony- a free beer and a free pint glass- we got a cool hand made ceramic awards- a nice shirt- and then the pint glass. We hung out listening to the music and chatted with the other racers. After about 2 hrs we packed up and headed into the town to go explore. Had a great time- the town of Shepardsville is pretty awesome. We went hunting for a tattoo shop- Jessie and I were had some plans- but it wasn't meant to be -so we headed back- changed clothes for the cooler weather coming and walked back into town for our dinner where we had a delicious dinner and killed 3 bottles of wine and talked about social gender norms.

Sunday we woke up around 8-9 AM and rolled out grabbed coffee- checked the local farmers market and then headed for the Battlefield- we were there from probably 10-2- was really awesome- and saddening. Then- off to Cracker Barrel!!! And then I headed home to NJ- and went straight to my fiance's house to surprise him when he got off work- lounged around all day and headed back today for PT and food!!! I'm safely home and relaxing!!

Edit- I got the email that said "race results and pictures" I decidedly do NOT look good while running- I look completely inept and stupid. (I really want to stay retarded - but that's so offensive... but well... it's pretty darn close)
    www.itsyourrace.com/qrresults/24ed2bfc/1614
  • ameliasdanial213
    ameliasdanial213 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • ameliasdanial213
    Options
    @Auna01 what do you mean by slow? What pace at
  • ameliasdanial213
    Options
    @Auna01 what do you mean by slow? What pace are you currently walking/jogging/running at? Pace is relative to your experience and fitness level! Don't sweat it....the longer you train for it the faster your pace will become! OR instead of a faster pace....why not go the distance and work on your endurance for longer periods of jogging/running....your pace will look after itself in time! Good luck and keep at it! :)
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Decent weather again tonight as I was able to get through 5 miles with a neighbor and 2 more solo.

10/1 - 7 miles
    10/2 - 8.5 miles
    10/3 - 4 miles (pace run at 1/2 marathon speed)
    10/4 - 9 miles
    10/5 - 8.5 miles
    10/6 - 8.5 miles
    10/7 - 8 miles
    10/8 - 8 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-1-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 6:35 pace)
    10/9 - 9 miles
    10/10 - 4 miles
    10/11 - 8 miles
    10/12 - 7 miles

Total: 89.5 miles
    Goal: 170 miles
    Remaining: 80.5 miles
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    kstar_lee wrote: »
    So I'm not really sure what to do here. I took three days off last week because of shin splints, woke up the next day fine, ran, and shin splints are back again. I've been following C25k and did week 6 day 2 on Saturday. Is this program going too fast for me? Could it be my shoes? I don't know but this is really frustrating because I don't want to mess up my running schedule. I'm the type that will quit if I have too many days off. I don't want to quit!

MTD - 20.3

Hey there :smile: Loooong time shin splint sufferer here! *waves*

My personal advice would be to find a physiotherapist who specializes in running injuries. I have learnt not only brilliant stretches from mine (google: calf stretch, achilles stretch and outer hamstring and hip stretch).

He has also shown me the pressure points where I get most of my pain and how to reset the muscles with a few short squeezes of the muscle - This needs to be shown to you personally though as you can have anterior or posterior shin splints - or something else.. So best to be sure before you prod around too much! :smile:

I know a lot of people say that you need to rest. Rest for a few days, by all means. If it hurts to walk after a few days, I would honestly get to a physio and get checked out just in case. I haven't known anyone personally to go through it, but I have read that some unlucky runners end up with little fractures in the shin if it's gone too far without treatment etc. Not saying that's what you have.. but if it hurts to walk and you are feeling unsure, best to get it checked!

I like to massage my calf muscles with the palms of my hands too.. I find it gives some relief.

I have a foam roller and a little spikey hand-held massager - these are great tools to run alongside the shin to help loosen up small areas of the muscle (you can use a tennis ball too!)

I wear compression sleeves on both legs every time I run (sometimes for an hour or so the morning after I run too).. I only get shin splints in one leg, though I cannot speak highly enough of the support these give my legs! They hold all the muscles in your lower legs tight so the calf muscles don't move around too much, while still allowing good blood flow and support - They make your legs feel like feathers! :smiley:

After each run I do my physio stretches (search up on yoga exercises for runners too - there are some great stretches and make all the difference!)

Then I ice my legs with the compression sleeves still on... and after my shower I massage my calves and shins with Deep Heat muscle relief ointment.

My legs feel like a million dollars after all of this.

I have to add too, I slowed my pace down by a LOT and since doing this, the shin splints are nearly non-existant! By doing this I have doubled my running distance and nearly 100% pain-free. Just something else to look at maybe.

But first, please see a physio.. I'm lucky in that mine was diagnosed as shin splints - because my left calf muscle was still weak.. He said I just had to work on strengthening the leg muscles some more, take it slow.

He did however (and every person with shin splints will say something different, depending on why they have shin splints).. that the longer you rest, the pain will go away.. but if it is something to do with muscles or if you are doing too much too soon, running to fast etc.. the shin splints will only come back after each rest.

Best to rest while it is very sore.. but get to the bottom of it :smile:
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    October goal 75 miles

10/1 big fat...REST day
    10/2 3.15
    10/3 4
    10/4 7.55
    10/5 rest
    10/6 4