WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• KGallen0829
    KGallen0829 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am new to this community. I have put on 35lbs since losing my mom a year and a half ago. I am eating instead of crying. The problem with the weight gain is I am almost ten years out from a gastric bypass. I knew that obtaining and maintaining a size 4 was not where I would ultimately live, but climbing back up to a size 18 would not be living healthy either. I need a community of women my age that can talk to me when I am sad, help me keep my tears from turning into cookies. My husband is on the road during the week and my children are grown with work and young families. I am their strength and do not want them to worry about me, mom.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

MicheleNC, what happened to the duckie’s feathers? In the first picture I couldn’t even tell. I used to work with ceramics years ago and have never seen that happen. Bummer on such a pretty duckie.

Mia, so happy that you are moving out of the doldrums. You are right that we can’t control exactly when and how much we will lose but I have finally accepted that I can control my weight to a great extent. I am the only one to blame for getting as big as I did and staying there for so long. I have found “the big squeeze” uncomfortable for years but never so painful that I dreaded it. But it is definitely more comfy not that I have lost most of the girls. Even for those that don’t suffer from depression, I think a lot of our attitude comes from what we chose.

Cynthia, I wish I could give you some words of encouragement. I have days where I just wonder if I can do this the rest of my life, but then I walk by a mirror and remember why it’s worth it. I also have days where I eat whatever I want for a meal and it doesn’t ruin all my hard work. It’s definitely not all fun and games but I have taken Barbie’s words to heart and try to no longer use food as entertainment. It is for fuel. Period. You can do this and you know you have all of us behind you. Hang in there.

Terri, you seem so close to your Dad. Have you had a discussion with him about possibly having a share of the equity in the house since you have made half the payments? How long have you been in the house? That’s a bummer but I guess I can see his side if you were just living there and not participating in any yard work or anything. I hope it works out for all of you.

Vicki, so sorry about your legs and your hospital experience. Things like that can be so upsetting and yet they happen all the time. I sure hope it improves before your trip. ((Hugs))

Betty, welcome back. Your trip sounds absolutely wonderful. I hope there will be some pictures to share?

Sylvia, so glad you found your phone. How nice that you and DH figured out a way for all the dogs to get their play time.

Lenora, glad you got Cracker home. I hope you all have many years of lovin’ together.

Pat, good to see you. Congrats on the NSV of the doc thinking you were Mrs Smith. Lol

Mary, great picture. Sorry you are stuck but hope you can enjoy the stay.

KGallen, welcome. This is a great place for support. Sorry about your Mom.

I made it through about 2 hours and 15 minutes of line dancing today. I am slowly getting a little better each week. I was so busy this morning and 1:00 came so fast that I considered not going but of course I was glad I did.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Mia - good for you trying to get in the mindset that "slow is OK"

Miriam - I did spray the duck with Rust-Oleum Painters Touch 2X Ultra Cover Gloss Clear. Another gentleman who does ceramics in the acrylics (like I needed to use where the duck had shivered) puts this on his "creations". Of course, they're in shade a good part of the day. So I'm going to put the duck by the pergola on the upper patio so it'll be in shade a lot. Where I put the ladybug was in total sunshine all day. We shall see how this works out.

Terri in Milwaukee - I have a very hard time (if not impossible) to stop eating after a certain time. I do try to have something that is easily digested (like applesauce) later in the evening.

Rummikub tonight.

Vicki - that's so frustrating how you were treated in the ER. I don't blame you for walking out. What a wonderful NSV!

Beth - happy birthday to your hubby

Sylvia - one time my phone fell out of my pocketbook. That's when I realized just how much info I have on it. Glad you found yours. Mine was on the floor on the passenger's side.

pip - what are your average revolutions per minute?

KGallen - welcome! You've come to the right place for someone to listen and kick you in the butt if necessary.

Michele in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    [bMaryann][/b] - Cracker is a terrier mix. She has already won our hearts. Both mine and DH's. She is a hoot; her middle name ought to be 'Shadow' because everywhere I went today, she was right on my heels. I could feel the cone on her neck every time I took a step. She does not like it much; but has found that laying her head over the edge of the bed takes the pressure off it on her neck, she fell asleep on the bed tonight. She kept coming from me to DH and finally I told her she would have to get it the kennel is she could not behave. She'd give me 'puppy dog eyes'. She cried for a while in the kennel. We wanted he to lay down; she wanted to 'sit'. She will also 'sit' on command and gets a treat for it. She has not peed or pooped all day; she's had water and puppy food; but, hasn't seemed to get the idea about the pads lying around. I guess that since she had a fecal check, maybe she isn't wanting to let go. If she has not gone by 11:00am in the morning I will call the vet and see what he says. I'm glad that Louis told me to take the kennel back and I only hope that they will give me 'money' back and not a store credit (like I think they probably will since I paid for it by a check). I had to teach her to go 'up and down' the steps. She's 4 months old, according to the teeth she has lost or is going to lose. She passed the 'first' puppy visit well. Got to take her back in 10 days, day 1 is today. Luna and Jax came down with the girls and they sort of growled at her. The cat is not happy about the 'new' addition; but I think he will get us to the puppy but he has been rather skittish. Jumped about 18" when he stepped on a clump of mud. It was so funny! DH is happy with my kennel puppy choice. She loves to be rubbed on.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, love your duck. I really like the glaze you used.

Lenora, your dog sounds so precious. Your descriptions could be used by any shelter to get some one to come in and adopt

Appointments went well today. As we were going down the road Charlie said he had to go back to go to the bathroom. Well he didn't make it. He wanted me to call and cancel his appointment and just go to mine but I just called them and explained the situation and they said thanks for letting them know. So we got there about 4 minutes late. No big deal. The doctor was 40 minutes late and we knew he would be. So I got out of my appointment in plenty of time to get over to his room. The office knew what I wanted and accomodated me fine. NP said my pain in my legs is trochanteric bursitis and gave me a script for Prednisone. I really don't think it will work, Dr has had me on it before. I have been on my huge doses of prednisone for my MS and it has not affected this pain. She didn't have any answer about the arm but said that the prednisone should help it also. Charlie's was a good appointment also. Only problem he has left is the swelling in his legs and since he has been off of the Florinef for over a week he doesn't think that is the cause of the swelling but is more than likely lymph edema for the lymph nodes in his groin being pressed on by a swollen colon because of the ulcerative colitis. He said he could do a Cat scan if we wanted but wanted to wait until his next infusion which is the first week of next month. Did order some general lab work like chemistry studies and CBC. Tomorrow we see the cardiologist but I don't expect him to find anything wrong at all. He has not had any of the irregular heart rhythm since being discharged.

Really tired tonight for some reason so checking out early.

Joyce, Indiana
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Boy child in accident on the way back to school tonight. Truck is probably totaled but he just has lots of cuts and abrasions plus being really sore. 2:30 am and just got him into bed. Nothing like seeing your child's vehicle upside down over the guardrail. I'm so thankful that he is okay!!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    What a relief that he wasn't badly injured, Carol. ((((Hugs))))
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,382 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Lenora yes a will is important. Here in Minnesota a will does not keep an estate out of probate. A trust does. Setting up a trust does cost more than a will. Probate can cost your estate thousands. If you own property in two or more states a trust is also the way to go. Your estate will go into probate in both states. When we set ours up the lawyer said 70% do nothing and their estates go into probate and can have all sorts of problems.

Working again today.

:heart: MNMargaret

In the UK all estates have to go through probate, however, death duties are only payable on estates over a certain value, currently £325,000. If there is no will, the law decides who gets the estate.

Cynthia Changing your thoughts is difficult at first, but if you persevere it becomes easier.

Mia 'Acting as if' is a powerfully tool, especially when you find that acting has become reality. I also have had to accept that the rate of weight loss slows down as you begin to get closer to your goal. There are so many factors involved, so I have learnt to regard the inevitable plateaus as a consolidation process. They are somewhere to rest while your body gathers itself for the next downward plunge.

KJ from Colorado It is a lot to take in at first, but after a while, you get used to it. As for friends, they can help motivate you, and give you advice. Also, you can get ideas for healthier foods if they have their diaries open. But whether you open yours or not is your choice. You have grasped a very important point about not eating exercise calories as a rule. But they can give you a little extra leeway at times if you need it. I would suggest that you also take measurements as the scale is not the only indicator of progress. If you are replacing fat with muscle, you may not loss weight, but you could be losing inches.

I can't imagine how difficult this must be for those of you with dietary allergies. It's difficult enough at the best of times. I avoid dairy because it affects my sinuses badly, but I can tolerate it. At least I have loads of alternatives from which to choose. I use soy products instead of dairy.

My PT and surgeon have signed me off after my hip op. and are amazed at my speedy recovery. It's such a boost to be back driving again and be able to resume my normal activities. This afternoon I have Poetry Appreciation for which I have to prepare.

My morning is 'free' so I will sort laundry and packing for our long weekend wine-tasting trip to Spain on Friday. I may not have Internet access where we are going, but I will still log food etc. I will probably be a little less strict with myself too, and plan to do lots of walking to give me a few extra calories to play with.

:heart: Prayers and (((hugs))) if you are under stress. :heart:
    :innocent: Congrats to all our great saintly losers! :innocent:
    :anguished: Commiserations if you are, like me, on a plateau! Enjoy the view! :wink:

Irish Terri

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,382 Member
    Options
    Carol It must have been such a shock to see that. I'm so glad your boy was not seriously hurt. (((Hugs)))
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    long day at work yesterday..
    Carol~so sorry to hear about your son... thank goodness he wasn't hurt worse...
    pulled a muscle in my back , will have to work on that..
    I forgot who asked, but they feed my DFIL around 7:30 but they are changing things around so all the CNA have to stop by 7:30 to help get the food to residents, meaning they cant get people washed up and to the dining room in time which leaves my DFIL in bed for breakfast...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,362 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good morning!
    Tablet playing up again. :'( I am on my ****** laptop.

Carol - What a shock! Glad he came out ok.

On the subject of plateaux. Yesterday I discovered that I had been eating three times the amount of calories in my popcorn than I thought. I feel so stupid for not reading the packet properly (very small print). That means that I was eating at least 188 calories too much per day, not including all the other undercounts I'm sure I have been doing on alcohol, occasional portions etc. No wonder I haven't been losing. I recently have lost a pound of my extras so I feel I am on the right track again. The maths does work, it's just our human error that gets in the way. :laugh:

This morning I tried on my party dress which still looks good, fortunately, but the lace shrug I bought really cheaply on the internet had a hole in it. I've sewed it up and I just hope it will last for the few hours of the evening. Serve me right for expecting something for nothing! I am taking a back up as well.
    I have clothes all over the floor of the spare room as I work out what I need for three days of partying. Got to be comfortable in the daytime.

Vicki, Joyce, - Sorry to hear about your legs etc. Hope it's nothing serious and they can get it sorted out.

Will be royal icing the cake this pm.

Must go. Steel cut oats have to be cooked. :bigsmile:

Heather UK
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Carol ... So thankful your son is ok! I hate seeing all car wreckage and don't ever want to see one that my family was involved in. Hugs.
  • snowdoggy
    snowdoggy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Joyce - NP said my pain in my legs is trochanteric bursitis and gave me a script for Prednisone. I really don't think it will work, Dr has had me on it before.

I have had the pain you are describing for a very long time. Dr. gave me cortisone shots which did nothing. After enough complaining finally switched my mobic to Etodolac. After years I am finally sleeping at night. The pain is still there occasionally but dulled. The new med even made my sciatica greatly improve so much that I cancelled an appt, to get a cortisone shot in my lower back.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning all....

Only got to cross off 1 thing on my "To Do" on my days off list... :( .... bathroom painted and bathroom door painted. And didn't make my 10,000 steps .... so today I will go for my walk and work outside until noon and then sit at desk and do my books. I still have some phone calls to make...so best get them done today.

AND be in the house when the Blue Jays play today...

I guess I am a little stressed about getting things done... I don't want to be doing the company books all at once as I was doing in August and September. So I have picked up year end stuff from accountant and am starting on new fiscal year....

And Thursday I will be off to take Mom to Doctor's for her check up and to have prescriptions renewed. Then help her caregiver with the garden. Next year there will not be a garden planted at mom's house. I don't need to have two gardens.

Another day - probably Saturday - is yard cleanup at mom's house - hopefully some siblings that use her yard for a dumping ground show up to help or their "stuff" might not be there when they come looking for it.... really tired of that crap!!!

Welcome to all the new people. (((Hugs))) to all.

To the people with Celiac issues... I feel for you and your families.... I am not Celiac - I am yeast sensitive... I get a brain freeze headache and spend a bit of time in the bathroom. I cook from scratch - watch the seasonings I use - blends usually contain yeast. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables...

The sun is coming up so I best get at it.... and it looks like a beautiful day...

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

so far i like the duck ceramic colors the best, don't know why

fanncy - that mountain view looks like the mountain we rode up on the ms bike ride on day 2, it was pretty high

exermom - this spin bike doesn't have an rpm or watt indicator so i won't know when i'm spinning at home but typically on a flat road or what we call a "century pace" it should be about 90rpm. when you're doing a hill or steep climb you don't want to go lower than a 65rpm, if you go lower, you're wasting muscle energy.

welcome to the new peeps!

type to ya later
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

MicheleNC, did you say that the ladybug had the chipping problem too? If so was it after it had been in the sun for a while? They are so cute, I hope you can find a solution.

Joyce, so glad the appointments went well. I just feel for both of you on the accidents. Charlie is so lucky to have you. (((Hugs)))

CarolNC, thank goodness your DS was okay. That has to be so frightening!

IrishTerri, I have been at this same weight for over a month now. I decided that it was my body saying, “this is a nice weight to stay at for a while. Then maybe I’ll move some more.” I have found that my body is still changing while the weight is not, so I’m not getting too discouraged. Just taking your advice and trying to enjoy the view. You have a great time on your wine tasting adventure.

Allison, I hope your back heals quickly. That can really affect everything you do, depending on where it is and how severe. Please take care.

Heather, when do you leave for Party Land? I hope the weekend is a huge success! I know you will look marvelous. Give the BD Boy a Hug for me.

Snowdoggy, how wonderful that you found a drug that works for you. I never had any relief from cortisone shots either.

Lillian, I hate that you are stressing about your to do list. Just take it one thing at a time and if needed, 15 minutes at a time. You will get there. I do hope the siblings show up to help with your mom’s yard clean up.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I don’t feel as rested as I’d like this morning. I slept well but do know that I was dreaming a lot. I rarely remember if I’ve been dreaming or not and hardly ever remember what my dreams were about. It’s very nice weather here giving things a chance to dry out. There are still lots of flooded areas mostly about 50 miles south of us. My heart goes out to those people. I am often as thankful for things that don’t happen to us as for the things that do.
    I hope all of you have only the best things happening in your lives. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KGallen0829, I'm really sorry about your mom, and I feel for you... we have similar stories - gastric bypass ten years ago last month. For me, though, I'm the opposite--when I get happy, I gain weight. Married the love of my life seven years ago, and put on a little over ten pounds a year every year. Until this last April. I've lost 41 pounds since April 1. Had got up to a size 18, am back down to a size 12, and still shrinking. Got to this community of folks a few weeks after I started, and have been losing ever since. The combination of being truthful about what and how often I'm putting food in my mouth, and the support of these wonderful folks, has been what made it possible. It helps us use the tool we were given with the surgery in ways that make sense.

Carol, glad your son was only banged up! Horrible thing to see the vehicle after an accident where someone you love was involved.

For those who've followed my "Restaurant Impossible" from the beginning--we're firing the recently-hired manager on Friday. He made a number of mistakes--but believing he could ignore all the work I've done to get that place up and running on the operations side and simply not track deposits, sales, etc., the way they're supposed to be done was one of the biggest. So not only was he dismissing the work, but was ignoring the piece that the owners wanted most--financial accountability. He was changing deposit slips, telling the crew chief not to document the tickets, blah blah.

And then, he not only hired his wife, which they decided to okay, against better judgment, but she had a steak dinner Saturday night when she was there as a server for an hour and a half. Employees do get meals on their shifts, it's one of the benefits. But it's limited to $8.99, which I built into the system. So when he couldn't change that, he decided to just void the $18.99 ticket. Bad idea. We track all voids. Which he would have known had he actually paid attention to the systems I've got in place.

That's the bad news. The good news is that the person I've wanted in that position since I got there has decided she will accept it--the crew chief that I promoted when I first arrived. More good news, we have someone to be her assistant manager that will do a great job--we've worked with him for more than a month, and he's a good guy, strong enough to back her up, and to not be threatened by working for a woman.

More bad news--I'll be on the hook for another couple weeks, so we can get back up to fully staffed, and clean up the mess the soon-to-be-fired manager created. But, working with a manager that I can finally have some confidence in, I think a couple weeks may be enough.

Fingers crossed!

Got a book sale on Saturday at one of the local festivals, and fingers crossed that goes well, too. Plus, by this weekend, the warehouse will be fully painted on the outside, and we can renovate the office in a big hurry, plus getting the fencing fixed. So, hopefully we can get a break on the danged insurance pretty quick. We'll see.

Lisa in West Texas
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Carol, I am so glad your son is okay. My oldest son rolled a Nissan sedan with my youngest son in it. They landed on the top. Basically just slid off the road into the ditch on the top. It was at a corner on a gravel road. I was so thankful that I had really instilled the seat belt ethic in them. They were fine, just hanging upside down from the belts. But I was shaking when I saw the car. And I have to admit, I said "I told you so!" many times to my son because when I was teaching him how to drive I had stressed how slippery gravel roads are and that you really have to slow way down on them! Again, I am so glad your son is okay too. And I know how shaky you feel right now!
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hello wonderful ladies.

My goals for October is to try to figure out maintenance. I don't know if I should eat at a deficit during the week and indulge a little on the weekend. Or if I should just eat at maintenance all week long. Unknown, I will try both systems.

I am planning on dressing up for Halloween to give out candies to the kiddoes. First time in a while.

Continue to help my 83 year old mom, clean her clutter (room by room, closet by closet), and organize all her bills.

Cat from San Diego
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also went to the Dr. last week and was officially off all prescription medication!!