aggelikik wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    random5483 wrote: »
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

His blood markers improved as well. He didn't have the student's just keep him at a calorie deficit. They had to make sure he was meeting the nutritional standards set by the FDA as well.

He lost 56 pounds of fat, I'm guessing that was a significant reason his blood test results improved. How about taking a person of a healthy BMI who is maintaining on say 2400 calories a day of nutrient dense "healthy" food and have them eat 2400 calories of McDonald's food for a few months and see what happens to their blood test results?
    Thought experiment: this happens and blood test results are still fine.

What's your conclusion?

For anyone thinking an exclusive diet of McDonald's food is good for you please message me with your social security number, credit card and bank account numbers. I know an African price that wants to deposit 1 million dollars in your account by noon tomorrow.

Except there's a guy here who's holding a million dollars (his blood work improved) telling everyone the instructions for getting it from the African prince, while saying he is not endorsing giving out the SSN to an African prince, just that it can be done.
    Also, instead of ominous, unidentified harm, can you name explicitly something about McDonald's food that will cause an explicit health effect?

Here are a few articles:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/statistics-health-risks-eating-fast-food-3290.html
    http://www.healthline.com/health/fast-food-effects-on-body

The first article talks about risks that were specifically eliminated in this individual's case (his weight went down, his blood work improved). The second has lots of words like "suggest" and "may."

Do you really think this individual is worse off than he was before beginning his experiment?

Hmm, several studies by drs, in large groups, over several years. Verifying pretty much what we all see each day.
    One guy's, on McDonald's payroll, personal testimony on how he had a positive health outcome, in a few months.
    Whom to trust, what to believe...

Doesn't matter who endorses him, the science is the science. Follow the money reasoning is a poor heuristic often applied when people want to argue against the science but don't actually understand it.

I am pretty sure that there are very few people on this forum who understand science as well as I do, so you are not talking about me ;)

If the point of the experiment was to show that eating less calories results in weight loss, yes, this was of course a valid point. No one on their right mind would argue with this.
    If the point was to show that no longer being obese will result in improved health, again, it is nothing to debate about.
    But what will the average person with poor eating habits get out of the whole thing? Something like the title of this thread. That eating at McDonalds daily can actually be good for you.
    A conclusion associated with the brand, based on a sort term, not scientifically proven, experiment, of one man, over a sort period, with carefully planning choices. So, no, I do not think this is science. It is advertisement disguised as science. It could also have been a very good example to teach kids what a scientific study should not look like, especially when it comes to conclusions. But science, it is not.

If your immediate interest in an experiment is who funded it, rather than methodology, I can't say your logic is sound. It is starting off with looking for an ad hominem.
    Also, if you want to argue over that to preserve a pre-existing bias against the conclusion, rather than discuss methodological problems to say why you can not endorse the conclusion, I can't say the logic is sound.
    So instead of tone policing it as an advertisement, can you use your scientific skills to explain what was methodologically unsound in their experiment?
    I can open. My first complaint is number of subjects, and the failure to have a control experiment. I also accept those as common limitations in human dietary studies.
    What I do enjoy is that the daily log and discussion with his students assures a high degree of compliance, which is usually a huge factor in nutrition studies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Pah. "Supersize me" was bad science too. Shameless populist pap.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Soopatt I love you. You are spot on! I have said this for a long time. I live where people are snobby about their food yet the line at my nearest McDonalds is always full, inside & out.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    One thing no one has mentioned is the environmental impact of the kind of intensive cattle farming needed by macdonalds. Eat local, eat in season!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not much in season in January.

(Edit: Off-topic, though, so probably best for another thread. Same with the environmental stuff.)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Just popping in to say that I found this really interesting. I hadn't seen this before but I enjoy that a teacher really went big to get his students to understand that you can live a normal life (which for many of us includes fast food occasionally) and still make smart choices. By planning and logging meals ahead of time you can make room for the foods you love and want. I love that the focus here is on personal responsibility instead of demonizing fast food and blaming McDonalds for "making us fat". Love it.

Yep. What a lot of people in this thread missed (maybe they never had a great science teacher who taught them about critical thinking!) is that what he wanted to do was teach his students how to take personal responsibility to think through their choices - and that's a skill that will serve them well regardless of where they choose to eat.

I am not really sure how this has anything to do with McDonalds. If he wanted to teach about responsibility (which is NOT part of a science class btw) he could have found hundreds of other examples. If he wanted to make it about nutrition, or plain and simple calories, he could have again made the same experiment by asking the students to help him make up a more generic plan, or even a junk-food based plan not tied ot a specific brand. The whole thing revolving around McDonalds and ending up with a video McDonalds are using to promote their products and as a counter-argument to Supersize Me, I am not sure this is really promoting anything other than McDonalds. My first thought when I saw this was "How much did he get out of it?". If the students did not ask themselves first the same question when the whole thing was planned, I think the lesson in critical thinking in this school needs definitely to be taught again ;)

But the fact that he chose a universally recognizable, and largely standardized "brand" in McDonalds is part of what makes this resonate so much, with his students, and with the average person. Is it the most rigorous scientific experiment ever? No, of course not. But if you open this up to all foods that are available in the world and just let students build a daily meal plan for him out of any items (processed/unprocessed, homemade/commercially available) etc - there would be too many variables, it would be difficult to track the direct impacts, and likely not have the "aha" factor that gets people to open the link in the first place. He wasn't paid by McDonalds at the time of the experiment. That came later. If he just filmed a video of him working with students on building a meal plan from any food they could think of, how many views do you think he would get on YouTube? How many minds do you think he would change about the ability to eat a balanced diet, lose weight, and improve your health markers simply by planning ahead?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    One thing no one has mentioned is the environmental impact of the kind of intensive cattle farming needed by macdonalds. Eat local, eat in season!

Why would this be relevant to a thread like this?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I STILL can't get over people who think that the food HAS to be burgers and fries just because it is McDonalds.

One could conceivably eat a diet that was nothing but egg whites/whole eggs, mixed fruit, walnuts, milk, grilled chicken, garden salads, yogurt, and fresh vegetables with food mcdonalds offers.

Even then, SOME fatty meat and vegetable oils on potatoes is still not bad in the overall context of the diet.

Sure, those aren't the stereotypical choices, but they are there.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I like this post because I think that examples like these start to strip away at some of the excuses that are common out there when people aren't quite ready to lose weight. "Oh I can't lose weight, I like McDonald's too much," or "I'm on the road and have to eat fast food," or whatever it is. Seeing that it's possible to lose weight while fitting in or even surviving on foods that are traditionally seen as the farthest thing from diet food can help newbies to the diet and fitness world see that it's not just salads and chicken breast all the time. You can lose weight while working with whatever foods are available to you, even if it's fast food.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I STILL can't get over people who think that the food HAS to be burgers and fries just because it is McDonalds.

One could conceivably eat a diet that was nothing but egg whites/whole eggs, mixed fruit, walnuts, milk, grilled chicken, garden salads, yogurt, and fresh vegetables with food mcdonalds offers.

Even then, SOME fatty meat and vegetable oils on potatoes is still not bad in the overall context of the diet.

Let's be real... most people don't go to McDonald's for their salad menu.
  • _John_
    edited October 2015
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

I agree most don't go for those items, but to blanket ALL McDonalds food as crap is being ignorant/dense IMO.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Lots of people go to McD's because they are on the road or otherwise out and about. For those people, being aware of better alternatives at McD's and not just being able to tell themselves "oh, well, couldn't help it, might as well have some large fries and a Big Mac" is likely helpful.
  • _John_
    Options
    I get a chicken sandwich with no mayo and an extra patty a LOT there...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

So what? When I go to McD's (or any other fast food joint), I eat what I want and work it into my calorie goals. If that's a Big Mac, so be it. If it's a parfait, that's fine, too. That's the whole point of this "experiment," to show that you can meet your nutritional needs while eating a wide variety of McDonald's offerings.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to?

Because McDonald's food is bangin'.

especially now with the customization. oh so good. chiabatta, fresh burger, cheddar cheese, bacon, lettuce, and whatever sauce you can want

i like mcdonalds. i like their salads, i like their mcchickens. they have decent oatmeal and i like their coffee.
    and don't get me started on the heaven that is a mcgriddle
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    So what? When I go to McD's (or any other fast food joint), I eat what I want and work it into my calorie goals. If that's a Big Mac, so be it. If it's a parfait, that's fine, too. That's the whole point of this "experiment," to show that you can meet your nutritional needs while eating a wide variety of McDonald's offerings.

Yeah, but you missed what he was responding to.

John asked:

And Bluefish correctly noted:

You are absolutely right that if you understand calorie goals you can eat anything at McDonald's. But most people don't go to McDonald's with a calorie goal in mind. They go with a Quarter Pounder with cheese, a large fries, large soda, and a shake in mind as one of the 2-3 meals of the day, when that one meal consumes 75% or more of the day's calories.

You'll be hard pressed to fit any of the top value meal choices into a day's calorie limit unless you eat hardly anything else for the day. More so if you get a non-diet soda and desert.

If you get a Quarter Pounder with cheese, a large fry, a large Coke, and a large chocholate milk shake, you will consume 2,150 calories. That could be an entire daily allotment of calories for one meal. It's going to be hard to work that in to your calorie goals, unless you eat nothing else that day.

• _John_
    edited October 2015
    Options

John asked:

You are absolutely right that if you understand calorie goals you can eat anything at McDonald's. But most people don't go to McDonald's with a calorie goal in mind. They go with a Quarter Pounder with cheese, a large fries, large soda, and a shake in mind as one of the 2-3 meals of the day, when that one meal consumes 75% or more of the day's calories.

You'll be hard pressed to fit any of the top value meal choices into a day's calorie limit unless you eat hardly anything else for the day. More so if you get a non-diet soda and desert.

If you get a Quarter Pounder with cheese, a large fry, a large Coke, and a large chocholate milk shake, you will consume 2,150 calories. That could be an entire daily allotment of calories for one meal. It's going to be hard to work that in to your calorie goals, unless you eat nothing else that day.

yeah, we're arguing apples and oranges.

I'm saying one can make smart choices, and y'all are saying most go in there for the treats.

We're both right in the context we're putting it in. A typical value meal (burger, medium fries, and I'd even give you a diet soda vs. regular) is almost impossible to "correct" during a 24 hr. period within IIFYM principals for a "typical" weight woman.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

You are biasing it by your choices too. I don't think I've ever seen someone order a soda and a shake, and most adults I know get diet (and, yeah, don't eat at McD's that regularly).

Anyway, I would guess that it's at least as common to get something like the QPw/C and medium fries, plus a diet soda, and that's a not great but not that tough to deal with for many 870.

But again I'm not so sure most people go to McD's because they are dying for a particular meal vs. because it's there and convenient. So knowing to think about better options and calories is a good start. NOT being able to say "I'm at McD's, guess I'm going to have to eat over 2000 calories" is an even better thing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

John asked:

yeah, we're arguing apples and oranges.

I'm saying one can make smart choices, and y'all are saying most go in there for the treats.

We're both right in the context we're putting it in. A typical value meal (burger, medium fries, and I'd even give you a diet soda vs. regular) is almost impossible to "correct" during a 24 hr. period within IIFYM principals for a "typical" weight woman.

A cheeseburger and medium fries would have 678 calories. I'm maintaining and I have meals that contain that many calories regularly. If it was a Quarter Pounder instead of a cheeseburger, it would be 918 calories -- more challenging to fit it, but certainly doable.