Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi there, feeling cabin-fever; we are just a couple miles from a big fire here in Bastrop county. We aren't in danger from the fire but smoke from the fire is a big problem. With both me and my DH having COPD we need to avoid it at all cost. We thought about bugging out but the only place we could go is Austin which is also in the smoke path. So we are staying put with towels under the doors to keep the smoke out, and we have 3 powerful air cleaners running to keep the air clean. Today is our 3rd day in lockup, pretty boring.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Goinstd12- I hope you can avoid the smoke path and try to have some fun.
    Susan- finding the time has become difficult with so many things interfering and conflicting with my life right now. I am still biking, climbing and running but swimming has dropped off my radar for now, just don't have the time or desire to fit that one in. I did climb tonight the first time in 2 weeks, it was great to get back to it. Next week I will be off again but due to a party that a friend is having not to mention a 10K run that I am suppose to do the next day. This will be very busy week again but I will make it work.

Karen- I am glad that Margaret will be able to join us for the Shamrock Shuffle as well. I am looking forward to that event. At this point, I am seriously considering flying in on Friday and leaving Monday.

My life has been very busy with getting stuff ready for the Zombie run and making sure everything is ordered. This past week, I ordered the race bibs, the problem was that they require 4 weeks for the custom bibs. That is what I wanted but had to settle for the standard bibs but that is what happens when you wait for someone else to get back to you. Lesson learned on that one. I ordered the flags and managed to get a discount so that was a positive. Ordered the shirts on the 12th only to learn tonight that they won't be ready until the 28, which misses both of our packet pick up days. This is a bummer since I made sure to get the order to him earlier than requested. However, if he doesn't raise the price on us for ordering fewer shirts then I will be happy. This will also enable to have the runners turn in their belts at the end of the race in exchange for the shirt. The bright side is that we don't have to transport the shirt boxes to the packet pick up sights. There are officially 100 people registered for the run and I still have another week to collect registrations. I hope people will not wait until the last minute to sign up but sign up this week. I may extend on-line registration to a couple of days before the run to make life easier for people.

Today, I had an unexpected day off. It was suppose to be professional development but due to lack of a raise or step increase the board decided to give the day off. While this does not compensate us for the lost pay, it was nice to have the day free with no meetings to attend. Therefore, I spent the afternoon purchasing a new road bike. I am very excited about the bike and get to pick it up on Wednesday. I will be putting the cage pedals on this bike until I am use to the breaking system and gear shifts. I still need to get comfortable in the clips so I don't fall again. While at the bike shop, they were able to adjust my cleats so they are easier to get in and out of thankfully.

This is the first weekend, when I have nothing schedule so I am looking forward to relaxing and of course grading some papers. Hopefully, they will go fast but you never know.

Hope everyone has a great week. Next week will be busy again but I will find time to exercise. I did see a decrease in the scale today but don't want to jinx it. I want the downward movement to continue.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    afm: allergic reactin to antibiotic can't get too far from you know what. goi g back to bed

kelley hope youre doi g Ok
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Just an update after surgery, it was Friday--lasted two hours, longer than my doc anticipated but went well. I'm home, with laryngitis from the anesthesia, but resting somewhat comfortably. I'm keeping it elevated most of the time so no real swelling so far. Marcaine pump was removed today, only meant to last 48-hours. So far pain is moderate--hope tomorrow I can alternate rx pain meds w Tylenol. First shower today was frustrating & felt like a workout :wink:, so hope that gets easier. I think these first two weeks will be the most frustrating, follow up w doc on the 29th for evaluation, suture removal & cast change. Just taking it one day at a time.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    @Kah - Kelley - wow you have incredible fortitude. As far as showers go - forgetaboutit! - Pit baths my lady. At Camping stores they have these incredibly huge cleaning wipes (I swear they are 3x4 feet) for personal hygeine - I'd default to those until your a bit more agile. Don't go breaking something just cuz you're used to a shower a day. No one cares if you smell right now. B)

AFM - feeling a lot better! New antibiotic is in charge finally - hives are gone.
    But tons of chores need to get done. Went thru tons and tons of towels and sheets and altho I did a lot yesterday I still have more to go.

I heard from MNWALKINGQUEEN (Holly) today. She said the service for her son, Kenzie, was yesterday, and it was "both sad and moving. The church was packed and people had to stand in the rear. All his friends came, and people from my old job at Target and my new job came. I gave the eulogy" Sorry, I tried to quote as best I could...
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @RobinsEgg (Ellen)~LOL I have a bench for the shower plus a removable shower head & a waterproof cast cover (I'm in plaster cast from toes to my knee), so all prepared for actual shower. A bit cumbersome but I managed. :wink: I'm glad u are feeling better. Thanks for the update on Holly, sounds like a nice service for her son, continued prayers for her--give her my best.
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! Things have been CRAZY in my life. I'm moving Saturday! UGH! Soooo much stuff to do. Did lose a lb for my WI this morning, so I'm happy about that. But this move has me so stressed. My face is breaking out from it, but I'm not over eating. I could use a couple able bodies to help move if you feel so inclined! lol Right now it's just me, my 17 year old son, my 23 year old daughter and my 4'10" sister-in-law. This is going to be interesting. That's for sure. I put out an email to my grad students requesting help but no one has offered to help yet. UGH!

Have a great day, everyone!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    @kah68 ... hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • Nikion901
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Monday Check-in ... I have stayed the same yet another week ... because 0.2 on the scale difference is no change at all. Not depressed about it though as I have been cooking all my meals and keeping tabs on the carbs and sodium so I know this is a good weigh-in. And, it is, in actuallity, down 4 pounds from the beginning of the month ... when I had a lot of water retention.

Yesterday a friend posted a contest photo on my social media of a give-away for a huge pizza and chicken wings ... this is Buffalo ... and those 2 foods have caused more people to get fat than anything else, including myself. Gosh I wanted some so badly I had to sit on my hands not to pick up the phone and order some of that good stuff for myself. Actually, what helped in the end is I filled myself up on a huge salad until I was near to bursting ... and then I took a look at my favorite pizza parlour's menu on-line and really zeroed in on the prices for that food ... I could make dinners for a week on what one small pizza and an 8-piece wing order would cost! ... but, deep, deep down, I know that one day soon I will have me a slice and some wings ... I just need to plan for when that will be.

Follow-thorugh
    Niki
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Everyone. I'm following along and enjoying meeting the new people. My weight is still struggling bouncing around about 10# up from my low in March. I'm not happy about it, but can't seem to get past the stress and focused on doing better. I am getting a good walk everyday, but it's raining today so I may not get to walk this evening.
    Last week we had 3 dr. appts., this week we have two, plus some blood work, and of course, physical therapy twice a week, and a "Fit and Fall Proof" exercise class twice a week. Since DH can't drive any more, it really keeps us running. The MRI of his neck revealed a bulging disc between the 4th and 5th cervical vertebrae. We have to add to his physical therapy for that. The nurse forgot to order the lumbar MRI so we still have to do that. The neurologist says that nothing she has seen would explain why he is so cold all of the time, so we are going to have to have a thyroid workup. I'm really looking forward to our little roadtrip this weekend!
    @kah68 best wishes for a speedy recovery.\
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Everyone!!! I hope everyone had a nice weekend. What a beautiful weekend we had in Atlanta with blue skies, sunshine and no rain. Of course, I was inside a lot purging closets. Temperatures have dropped and I really needed to switch out the spring/summer to fall/winter clothing. I realized Cyrus has NO pants that fit (surprise, surprise). Luckily, teen boys want to wear shorts year round for some crazy reason. I still need to have a few options for him like jeans and athletic pants, but not in a big rush.

Eating was OK for the most part. I didn’t log anything, which I need to get back on track. No exercise because of my heel, but I need to start doing something. Cyrus has his last week of football this week. I’m kind of glad so we can have our nights and weekends free again. Plus, I can schedule gym time again now that I have a little breathing room.

I’m still struggling a bit in the relationship world. I don’t think I’m expecting much, but I’m definitely working too hard and I don’t believe he is. I think it may be time to cut my losses and learn from this experience. I’m really trying to make it work and when we’re together we enjoy our time, but I think his life just has too much going on right now. Perhaps once things settle down for him we can try it again. Sigh.

@Morgori – I saw your post about Stop Violence Everywhere. I dread watching the news and on Facebook I get updates from Vegas and Atlanta. Every day there are numerous shootings, attacks or so many disturbing acts of violence. Just seems to be getting worse and worse. Will we ever be able to stop it? Unfortunately, there will always be evil people in this world. I just believe we have more good than bad and have to keep focusing on the good of this world.

@UCCrista - 70 lbs is awesome!! Congrats! Welcome to our group and we hope to support and encourage you on this journey plus learning from you as well.

@Jennbo83 – Welcome back and congrats on your engagement!! Happy times!!!

@Skinnyjeanz – Thanks for the update. Glad you’re finally on the mend, but this one hit you pretty hard. Great news about Margaret! It will be great seeing her again.

@RobinsEgg – Good luck starting your new job today!! You’ll have to let us know how things go. Sorry you had such a rough weekend and thank goodness Jorge was looking out for you. It’s so important for us single folks to have someone checking in. Also, thanks for the update from Holly. My heart is still breaking for her when I look at Cyrus. I still cannot even fathom what she’s had to endure losing her only son. I’m glad so many shared his memory with Holly. Hugs to her!!

@Goinstd12 – Yikes! I just read about the fire and you guys being house bound. I’m glad you’re not in danger, but tough not getting out.

@Laurie – Congrats on the new road bike! I know you’ve been looking so glad you found what you like. Hopefully, once your events are over, you can get back on track and slow down a bit. These past few months have really been a lot between your dad, volunteering, school starting, etc. . .

@Terri70 – Yuck! Moving is the worst. I know the next few weeks will be crazy for you guys. Good luck and hope everything goes well with packing and unpacking.

@kah68 - You were so proactive and prepared yourself for the recovery phase. Glad to hear the first weekend went well. I bet your going to go stir crazy very, very soon.
  • GOINSTD12
    Options
    Hi, just a quick check in to let y'all know that my son Demetrius and my in-laws (the Bell family) will be on Family Feud tonight Oct 19 & 20th. I think it's NBC and here in Austin it's on at 6:00 pm & 6:30 pm. Not sure which time our show is on, one of the episodes is from last season and one from this season.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone.

Happy NATIONAL SEAFOOD BISQUE DAY!
    National Seafood Bisque Day is celebrated annually on October 19. This is a day for all seafood lovers to enjoy a bowl of this delicious soup.
    Seafood bisque is a smooth, creamy and highly seasoned soup of French origin. Based on a strained broth of crustaceans, it is made from lobster, crab, shrimp or crayfish.
    It is believed that the name “Bisque” derived from Biscay, as in Bay of Biscay, however, the crustaceans are certainly bis cuites, meaning “twice cooked”, as they are first sauteed lightly in their shells, then simmered in wine or cognac and aromatic herbs before being strained.
    OBSERVE
    To celebrate National Seafood Bisque Day, try one of the following Seafood Bisque recipes and use #SeafoodBisqueDay to post on social media.

Elegant Seafood Bisque

Simple Seafood Bisque

The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future. ~Shiloh Morrison

11857432.png

Tom
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Well, I can see myself getting busy and neglecting to plan my food and log. It sneaks up on you. And, of course, drink your water!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Kelley- prayers for a speedy recovery.

Susan- Glad football will be ending soon and you can get your nights back.

Niki- Good idea to plan for your favorite treat. This is a lifestyle change and that means making allowances every now and then for something you enjoy. Just don't over do it.

I am getting my new bike on Wednesday, so that will be busy day. I need to take my old bike with me to work and bring two bikes home. I am looking forward to riding on Sunday. I will post a picture once I get my bike. I hit a new low over the weekend and was down to 189.6. Of course it did not stay there but I think there is some water retention right now so that is affecting the scale. I am looking forward to getting my life back after the Zombie run and that mean fewer committee meetings.

Today, I helped to film a second segment for the Zombie run. This county started this and I was notified by email on Thursday. It went well and should make an interesting commercial, I hope. I think we have 100 people participating so far. I am still hoping for at least 50 more.

Have a great day. I need to go decorate a cake.
    Laurie
  • GOINSTD12
    Options
    Well folks I had the wrong air dates for the Family Feud with my family, the Bells. The producers gave us the wrong dates and we're still waiting to hear back from them. False alarm!
    @Lauriek70 - do you ride to work every day? What's the distance? I've been thinking of getting a bike but I'm not sure my gluteus Maximus is ready for it!
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    @Goins - sorta glad you were wrong about the air dates for the Family Feud with The Bells! I didn't get home till around 7:30pm and started llaudry and fixed dinner. Before I knew it Here I am! at 1:15am.

I did have some success I lost a total of 6.5 lbs just this week, what with all the antibiotic fun I had !
    Oo:) I've gotta go to bed - falling asleep at the wheel!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @GOINSTD12 ...so glad there was an air date confusion about the Bells on Family Fued cause I missed the show yesterday ... and I watch all the time!

Speaking of bikes ... I had the bright idea a few years ago of getting a bike and saved up all my coin for over a year to get the money together ... and then found one I could afford at Walmart. Bought it, a helmet, an air pump and brought it all home ... went for one bike ride that lasted about 20 minutes and never took it out again. About 3 years later I was having the house painted and gave the bike to one of the painters for his granddaughter ... But I still 'dream' about riding a bike. Except, now a day's, it would probably have to be a 3-wheeler! Oh ,,,, the reason I never took it for another ride is cause the position and peddaling put my back and knees out and I ended up in physical therapy all over again!. I can do a recumbent bike but don't want one of those big expensive machines that you can take out on the road. Just remembering ... especially when I was a girl and young woman ... rode the bike everywhere until I got my first car in 1968.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Face Your Fears Day!
    Always the third Tuesday in October
    National Face Your Fears Day is a day to help people identify, face and overcome their fears. Many people are held captive by their fears, this day is to encourage people to discover more about themselves, and the ways to overcome their fears. Today is about courage, facing your fear and taking control.

Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left. ~Hubert Humphrey

11857432.png

Tom
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My Monday check-in (10/19/2015)--1 day late:
    Weight today: 248.4
    Weight lost since previous weekly check-in (10/12/2015): 0.6 pounds (aiming for 2 pounds/week).

I'm still trying to transition from 2 meals/day to 3 meals/day but failed to do that during any of the last 7 days.

I finally was able to again exercise (at least 1 hour) every other day during the last 7 days.

I'm still keeping my 1-hour post-meal blood sugars under good control (under 140 mg/dL) for the last 7 days (other than 1 meal where I hit a 1-hour post-meal blood sugar of 174). I had to change to 1-hour post meal blood sugar measurements since discovering that's where my peak blood sugar readings seem to occur.

I was finally able to lower my nighttime insulin (Levemir) from 38 units to 35 units since my fasting blood sugars in the morning have been good but it has taken a full 3 weeks to make that happen.