Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• silentmalu
    silentmalu Posts: 10
    Options
    I am certainly wanting to lose 100 lbs! I'd like to follow/join this group if that is still an option. Do I just post and I automatically receive updates? I'm not entirely sure how to follow a thread.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new faces! Wow! What a newbie-riffic day on the thread! :happy: Read along, jump right in, post away! The thread can move along pretty quickly, especially during the week, so check back often. There are some great people in this thread who can give you great advice and motivation. I've found it's really helped me get back on track this year.

Silentmalu- Once you post on a thread, if you go onto your Profile, down on the bottom left, it shows the last two things you've posted on the forums. Click on the most recent link and it takes you right back to where you left off!

Be back later! :drinker:
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome to all of the newbies here today. Congratulations to you for taking the steps you need to get to your goal of being more healthy and active. All you need to do to benefit from our wonderful friendship here is jump on frequently and participate with us. You'll find lots of help and encouragement for a very long and sometimes difficult journey.
    Robin, the quote is from L2T. I've used that suggestion when helping a friend get started. Its wonderful. As for my shoes, I wear New Balance. They are the only brand that I am aware of that has a roll bar. I had a problem with plantar faceitis a few years ago. I was told that the roll bar would help prevent future flareups, and it has worked. All of their shoes don't have that feature so you have to ask for it. I get mine online so I can look specifically for that. Good luck. The right shoes really help.
    My Wednesday wish is getting stale. I'm still wishing that the scales would show me a good firm loss.
    Hope the rest of your day goes well. Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    1. As for counting mileage in the virtual challenge, I have a fitbit but only track mileage that is intentional exercise. Everyone is doing it differently, but I am using biking distance (readout on spin bike), using map my walk for walking/running distance, or if I go geocaching for the entire day( weekends usually) I will use mileage from fitbit. I do sessions of circuits, weight training etc but do not convert that time into mileage, though some others do.

2. I have the fitbit force so cannot help with advice as to which to get (it's been recalled), but I would say fitbit over pedometer. I don't sync with MFP, but I really like that it records calories burned and mileage, which pedometer does not. I also use a HRM for cardio to get more accurate calorie results. I also use a fitness app to calculate mileage for one specific activity (like a run or hike) to see my improvements in distance and times.
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Wednesday wish – TO GET OUT OF THIS FITNESS FUNK!! STILL!! Besides my weekend beach walks (and the occasional last minute 5k) fitness has pretty much been non-existent! I am blaming the weather. It’s just too damn hot! The last time we were at the gym, I had to walk outside into what was probably 80+ degrees to COOL OFF! I felt like I was going to pass out, I couldn’t get enough air. I don’t know if the A/C wasn’t working properly or what, but it was entirely too hot in that gym.

Welcome to all the newbies! Shame it’s not Tuesday, we could call it Newbie Tuesday!

@RobinE – I am sorry for your steroid woes! Let me guess, Prednisone?? When I was in my early 20’s I was diagnosed (and once relapsed) with Hodgkin’s disease and Prednisone was part of the oral meds that I had to take on top of the IV meds. I swear it was the beginning of the end in regard to my weight! Don’t get me wrong; since I was in middle school I was always bigger than the other girls my age, but never really overweight and definitely never obese (like now); more like teetering on the high end of the “normal” range. Prednisone made me hungry, ANGRY and MEAN!! Of course the cancer diagnosis itself contributed to the anger. I would have cravings, but could never figure out WHAT I was craving so I would just eat and eat and eat until I either was so full I couldn’t breathe or until I would finally feel satisfied. I gained a lot of weight and it’s always been a struggle since. Also, I can relate to the family thing too. My mom and my sister are both within 5 miles of me yet holidays are very lonely as I usually spend them by myself. My sister’s husband can be a real *kitten* and he has a grown daughter (with her own family) from a previous relationship. They spend their holidays together so I usually see my sister only once a year when my father visits from Pittsburgh and we get together. My mom still spends holidays with the family of her roommate/companion who passed away last year. So it’s me and my kids and although I try to make it special, they usually go to their father’s house for the family gathering with that side of their family. I don’t blame them, holidays are supposed to be about family. I see my mom maybe once a month. This is why our “family vacation” in July will be so, ah, interesting?? The first time the “original five” (mom, dad, sister, brother and I) will be together in about 40 years, aside from the occasional wedding within the immediate family.

@Nettie – Love the pics! Floor, critter, Harvest Moon... ALL of them, keep them coming! I hope to see your garden soon!

@Kelley – My fingers are crossed for your raise!

@PaintedCalavry – I use mileage from my Fitbit plus 1 mile per 20 minutes of non-step exercise (which was only once) that Fitbit doesn’t capture. Your profile pic looks like you did the Color Run (or something like it)? Did you have fun?? I did the Color Run a few weeks ago and had a blast!

@hansea – LOL @ digestive distress!! I can relate! This happened to me regularly (no pun intended) when I first started really moving my body a few months ago! There is no better laxative than good ole fashion EXERCISE!! I would tell my daughter, “You know you are having a good workout when you have to stop and find a bathroom!”

@Aunt Kaye – I hope your Wednesday Wish comes true very SOON!

@Laurie @Tanya – Congrats on your great workout yesterday! That is awesome!

Phew! It’s been a very busy week on the thread so far!

Until next week; wishing everyone peace, love and weight loss!!
    And…
    Don’t sweat the small stuff, just SWEAT!!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Newbies - Welcome to you all! I love your attitudes - and you're each welcome to come and "play" and stay! Lurk if you want to or post daily whatever you want to say. Set your own goals. At the bottom of Page 4, I have put up a paragraph that another member had written earlier about how she set her goals and it is excellent to read. Its- about making a list of what your willing to do on your diet and not willing to give up.

Thanks all for the shoe advice - I do appreciate it! I probably will go shopping tomorrow.

I just got done sweeping then mopping my 3 vinyl floors, 2 bathrooms 1 kitchen (all small really) but I really wore myself out and worked up a ton of sweat. It brought out my back pain darn it, hadn't felt my back pain in days and was hoping it was gone. Still scheduled for an MRI June 2, which is coming up rapidly.

RobinB - thanks for sharing your experience with prednisone - yep I take a lot of that orally and its really hard to fight my appetite! and I have noticed an increase in my ANGER lately. I yelled at a friend last weekend - and that is totally unlike me - I had to really apologize and felt like a complete *kitten* for my behavior!
    Also, thanks for sharing about your family. I'm so sorry its that way for you too. Its a true shame that familys have to be that way and choose sides and go their different ways. Your upcoming vacation (!) does sound like it will be a very interesting experience.

Thanks to all who shared their family experiences with me. It does make me feel better to know that a lot of people are going through the same thing as me.

Looking forward to June. Haven't been logging food lately. Will start over in earnest in June. Intend to rapidly drop this 7 lb. weight gain I had last week. That junk in my trunk has GOT to go! :laugh:
  • Tanya949
    Options
    I just got back from my run... The one that was supposed to be 20 min. Well, it turned out into a 42 min run, and a complete 5k! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I was actually a bit nervous on the way to the rail trail (I have to drive there, it's/I'm out in the country). But once I got going I relaxed. It was a bit uphill and against the wind. When I got to half way I decided to keep going to the next road to turn around there. When 20 min was up I checked my distance, 3.5k. Since I was going downhill with the wind I figured I'd try for 5k. The last 5 min were tough on my legs/hips but I finished in exactly 42 minutes. So this brings me to...

Wed. Wish... That I had not wasted so many years (and my youth) treating my body like crap, feeding it crap, neglecting it, and not using it to its full potential. I am beginning to see how fantastic my body can be with proper care, nourishment and exercise. I have gone leaps and bounds in the last year, losing over 40 lbs, feeling relief from chronic pain, having a ton more energy, feeling stronger and being able to do almost anything I want to without limitations. And running has been my biggest victory thus far. Never in my wildest dreams have I thought that I could be where I am today. And I'm not done yet!

I've been thinking about my June challenge goal and though I would love to try and increase my mileage even further, I am on holidays the last week of June, and would like to keep it a bit more on the relaxed side. I will make a decision in a day or 2.

Mileage

May 25: 2.9 miles
    May 26: 5.6 miles
    May 27: 6 miles
    May 28: 4.1 miles
  • Tanya949
    Options
    I am certainly wanting to lose 100 lbs! I'd like to follow/join this group if that is still an option. Do I just post and I automatically receive updates? I'm not entirely sure how to follow a thread.

You can also go to the message boards and click on "my topics". These are threads you've posted in, click on this thread which will be in the list. If you not post often, just type 'bump' to keep it in your list.
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Well, I am back from a wonderful relaxing Alaska cruise with a few days in Seattle (busy, busy) and a few days in Victoria British Columbia. Went to Buchart Gardens for the 2nd time and the roses were about 2 weeks short of blooming fully. did learn that the garden is on the Pacific Ocean and they had added a boat ride. The day on the ship in Glacier Bay was amazing There were Glaciers and beside them were grassy meadows with mountain goats. We saw whales abundantly and actually saw a bear walk into the water and catch a fish for supper. Lots of Eagles and other wildlife. The town of Sitka was fantastic. They have an inactive volcano with grass inside where they camp.

Now back to reality. Hopefully I did not gain too much. I planned my meals for the next 7 days and am going back on plan and starting back to water aerobics. although with a stress fracture I have to workout in the deep water. Came out of the brace today and they have just taped my feet. Will see how that works.

I am at the point in my life where I am starting all over again. My divorce will be final in about 60 days and sometimes I feel strong and at other times I feel frightened about the future. I am trying to keep a positive attitude as Maya Angelou said "What you cant change just change how you think about it" BTW Maya passed away and it is a great loss to literature.

I''ve always tried to find something good out of whatever happens to me and I am struggling at this point. I need to concentrate of health and accumulate some successes in my life.

grandmakay44 - I too wear new balance, as high a number on back as I can afford. It helps my plantar fasciitis and my flat feet. Most high end shoe stores will test your feet to see if you over or under pronate and make recommendations. You can either buy there or go to discount chains and find the same shoes for less
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    wed wish- CONSISTENCY!!! i am up and down and back and forth and all over the map :grumble:
    I am taking a course on resuscitating children thursday and friday and am now offically freaking out about it. Have not done anything that uses my brain and nursing information since 2010. I have studied lots but still very nervous.
    BUT...i officially have a job after 4 1/2 long years on disability!!! I start june 23 at the local hospital in emergency which is my favourite. The hospital is only a few blocks from home so i will be riding or walking so i dont have to pay for parking. but i do have to buy uniforms and shoes.....grrr
    heading to alberta on saturday to hang out with my grandkids and hope to get lots of riding and walking done
  • Tanya949
    Options
    This is a question about shoes. ASICS GEL NIMBUS are on sale today and tomorrow and I'm interested and need new tennies badly. BUT I am just a walker, not a runner I am even a very slow walker. Does anyone have any advice as far as if these shoes are OK for me?
    Does the weight of the shoe matter? These weigh 9.8 oz and on-line there is another shoe, but more expensive that weighs 8.8 oz.
    Heck, I am just confusing myself at THIS point.

Kaye - I''ve wondered what type of shoes you walk in - you've obviouusly been very successful and you're not a runner.

Many of you however have praised Asics, and I've worn Asics before and they're shape does fit my foot better than most of the other brands I've come across especially Nike does not fit me ever.

I am no expert on running shoes, but I assume that shoes that have really good support/cushioning for a runner must be good enough for a walker. Running and walking use generally the same forward motion, so I assume they would be suitable to walk in too. I have 2 pairs of Asics ( ran in my brand new pair today) and they are fabulous. They are so comfortable, and I have no foot pain/discomfort whatsoever. This is coming from someone who has had multiple bouts of plantar fasciitis and seemingly always painful feet.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bump - A few personals from page 1 to 3, but still need to read 4 and 5 tomorrow.

Wednesday Wish: Just like last week – focus, focus, focus. I’ve got to get my butt back in gear. Stress at work is definitely getting the better part of me I’m afraid and I know I turn to food. I’m so exhausted that I’m not getting in any exercise at all. I’m back on the east coast next week Monday thru Friday on business. I seem to do better in the hotel so going to focus on getting my exercise back on track so when I come home I can find that balance again. Baby steps.

@ Laurie – I was glad to see your brother helped with the mulch. I was hoping he didn’t just dump it and expect you to handle it. LOL!! Also, nice 27 mile ride – good for you!! I have a friend about to do a 150 mile charity ride. She’s so excited!!

@ Kelly – Glad your thumb is not fractured, but we do take our phalanges for granted. LOL!!!

@ RobinB – Congrats on your 5K PR!!! I know you really wanted to get under and you’re doing it. Yes, it may have taken a “little” longer, but that doesn’t matter. What matters is you accomplished it!!!! So happy for you.

@ Hansea – Yes, Cyrus is not the tackling type either. He’s really more like a gentle giant. He really enjoyed the baseball pro and has another lesson tomorrow. We’ll see.

@ Nettie – Yum! You tri-color pasta sounded so good. It sounds like you threw just about everything in except the kitchen sink. LOL!! I always love hearing everyone’s opinions of movies. I heard someone on TV say that this was the best one ever. Too funny. Also, a woodchuck? I thought you were going to say a big snack – yuck!! Also, the floors look great! Great color.

@ Robin – I’m soooo late, but HAPPY BELATED!!!! I can relate a little regarding family. We really don’t have any family outside of my mom, dad and sister. Both my parents came from situations that were not healthy so they kept their distance to protect my sister and I, which I’m thankful. I wish Cyrus had more family, but like you said my friends are his family and I’m forever grateful to them.

@ Tom – Yum!! They both look really, really good. Have you guys eaten at Settebello at The District? Supposedly, there in the Top 38 restaurants in Vegas. I haven’t even though it’s just a few miles from us. I have heard of the other place you mentioned coming to GVR. Similar pizza styles?

@ Beth – Thanks for the update. It’s good to see you post again, but good to know you never left us just lurking a bit. This is such a constant battle of so many ups and downs. I think that’s been my battle is balancing the stress of life with my eating habits, which are so interrelated. I always enjoyed watching your post and your different exercise encounters especially the swimming. Hope to see them again soon!

@ Kris – I’m so sorry the dog didn’t work. It can take time, but often better to stop it early versus risking MowMow. He was your first and will always come first. At least you tried, which is all you can do. It’s the thought that counts.

@ Margaret – You need a new profile picture. This really doesn’t look like you. Not that it’s a bad picture, but you’re so beautiful in person and have such an infectious smile. I say take a new picture and post it. Also, was this picture before your loss? You also look much thinner in real life. Just sayin’ my friend.
  • jessicapederson
    Options
    I wish I could put on one outfit and know it will fit the first time.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Kaye- So what if your wish is getting stale? At least you're consistent! :wink: You're living proof that those last pounds are the hardest. You've come this far. You will get there. You deserve for this wish to come true!

Susan- Baby steps are so hard for us grown-ups, aren't they? Just control what you can control for now and really rock the exercise when you're home. I would say my husband is a gentle giant like Cyrus....hope Cyrus's second session was as good as his first. If he gets into it, maybe he can practice with you and you can add pitching/catching to your exercise repertoire! :laugh:

Karenleona- Congrats on the new job!! How exciting and wonderful that it's so close to home. I bet when you get on a work schedule, your consistency will start to get easier as you enter your new routine.

Kjeffries- What a great trip! Sounds like you saw some amazing things. I hope that as the finalization of your divorce arrives, you have more strong days than frightened days. Prayers for you! :flowerforyou:

Tanya- I love your Wed wish! And that surprise 5K...wow! No wonder strangers are offering praise when they see you running...you're doing great!

Robin- June will be here soon! Get ready to kick your own butt! :happy:

RobinB- I had to smile at your 'fitness funk'....I know what you're saying, but at the same time...you just last-minute killed a 5K, lady! That's less funky and more fantastic! I think you caught an exercise bug, and now you just want to move all the time. And LOL at your own digestive distress! Good to know I'm not alone in my exercise induced need for privacy and plumbing. :laugh:

AFM- My Wednesday Wish is that I had more hours in a day....sigh. There's just never enough time to get it all done.

I did 30 Day Shred for the first time tonight. I was thinking I would use the video as suggested and work out three times a week for 30 Days after I finish my 10K training in a couple weeks, but then I realized that my half-marathon training needs to start in June, so I won't have a month off as I had originally thought. So, I decided to "shred" myself on my cross-training day. Yikes. Will I even be able to run tomorrow? That was tough!

5/28: 1.5 miles completed!

Under calories: 16/31
    7-8 hrs of sleep: 11/31
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    RobinE- Shoes are important. I have worn New Balance, Aascis, Brooks- I like them all but New Balance was my first pair of good tennis shoes and are good for plantar fascitis. I would recommend going to a professional shoe store and get fitted for the shoes. Then like someone else said you can go to a different store and get the same brand. It is amazing what you can learn from a actual shoes salesman. Several stores have knowledgeable sales people: Addis, Footlocker, New Balance or a running store. Good luck with the shoes.

PC- You track the miles how you want to track them. Personally I track my exercise miles only- bike use a phone app My Tracks, Run- I count laps or use my phone, cardio machine- miles on the machine, Swimming or classes- I use a 30 minute mile to track distance. Swimming I tend to lose track of laps- I can swim a half mile in about 25 minutes.

Susan- Where are you heading to on the East Coast? Sorry that work is very stressful. I know you can remain strong when it comes to making good choices. Like you said you do well at the hotels so hit the fitness center daily. It will also help to reduce your stress.

Welcome to all the newbie's. Check in with us as often as possible. The more you participate the faster we will get to know you. You will find a very supportive group of people.

Jt- Please post your mileage update from last week. Saturday and Sunday are missing.

Congratulations Hansea for Surpassing your Goal of 66.5 miles. 70.54 miles completed so far.:drinker:

Congratulations to Kelley for Surpassing her goal of 90 miles, Kelley has completed 91.07 miles.:flowerforyou:

The conversation on the fitbit has been very enlightening. I will be doing my research as well. My HRM is not working as effectively as it should. I am deciding if I want to replace it or go with a fit bit.

Wish that I get some sleep tonight and that stress does not overwhelm me this week. I have some grading to do and meetings all week after school the workday will be very long. Exercise wise I have 2 rest days (today and tomorrow) so my body will recover from the workouts this weekend.

Hope everyone has a great day. Keep hitting those miles. As of miles reported today, we have completed 1328.46 miles, which means only 198.64 miles to go. We can do this. :love: :love: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :happy: :happy: :laugh: :laugh:

Happy HUMP Day.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Hansea, thank you for your kind words.
    Mileage report for 5/28: 4.55 (combining water aerobics and walking)
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've been keeping up with reading the past 2 days, but haven't had time to post. Just a few personal while I wait for my Blackhawks to win this thing in double-overtime.

@hansea--I did 30DS last summer for about 25 days (then I had to leave for my Switzerland trip). It was a good workout, but I despise working out in my house, so I haven't gone back to it. :ohwell:

@karenleaona--CONGRATS on the new job!!! :drinker: I know that's been a long time coming, and it sounds like a great fit!

@katrena--wow, sounds like a fabulous trip!! Oh, and thank you for the Maya Angelou quote--I have been mourning her loss all day. :cry:

@tanya--I second your Wed. Wish!!

@robin--lots of shoe advice--I don't have much to add except that Asics are my favorite of 3 different brands I wear (also like Saucony and Addidas). However, not every pair will have the same level of support--for example, I have to wear shoes with a lot of arch support b/c I have super high arches that are prone to plantar fascitis. When I go to the Asics store, I have to find the shoes with rigid soles and lots of arch support. The Gel-Nimbus is a good shoe--here is a link to a description:

http://runningshoes.com/asics-gel-nimbus

Also, you asked about the weight of the shoe. To my knowledge runners worry about this b/c a heavier shoe will slow them down--but we are talking about those runners who are worried about winning a race. I'm not fast enough to be concerned with a few ounces. :laugh: . If you are wearing them to walk, it really won't make a big difference.

Also, someone asked about tracking miles--I only track my exercise miles, not my daily walking, but as others said, you can do either.

Welcome to the newlings! :flowerforyou:

HAWKS WIN!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Grading Goals:
    1.28/52 Junior research papers

Exercise goals:
    Mon--walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Tues--walk gunner NOT DONE (rain) + gym NOT DONE
    Wed--walk gunner RAN OUTSIDE INSTEAD
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--Animal House Shelter 5k
    Sun--walk gunner + gym

Goal Mileage: 80 Miles

5/26 = 3 miles
    5/27 = 0 miles
    5/28 = 3 miles
    5/29= miles
    5/30= miles
    5/31= miles
    6/1= miles
  • PaintedCavalry
    Options
    @RobinB That was the Color Run 5K. I've done about 3 of the color runs and then 1 regular timed 5K. I need to get back in to running, but it's so HOT here in Florida! And although I have no issues working out in the gym, I really really hate the treadmill and it hates me too! Once I'm back in school for Summer B I'll have access to the indoor track at the college.

My truth is that apparently I gained like 5lbs real weight over the weekend. I thought it would just melt right back off since it was more than likely sodium from eating bad foods (but not an abundance of them!), but the scale each day is not showing a rapid loss like it should. So tomorrow's weigh-in will probably be the same as last Friday.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Will try and get back for personals later. Hope everyone has a great day!

May Mileage Goal: 100 miles

5/1 - 2 miles (class)
    5/2 - 5 miles (walk)
    5/3 - 3 miles (walk)
    5/4 - 3 miles (walk)
    5/5 - 4.25 miles (class plus 2.25 mile walk)
    5/6 - 3.75 miles (walk)
    5/7 - 2 miles (walk)
    5/8 - 3.50 miles (class plus 1.50 mile walk)
    5/9 - 2 miles (class)
    5/10 - 2.50 miles (walk)
    5/11 - 3.25 miles (walk)
    5/12 - 4 miles (class plus 2 mile walk)
    5/13 - 4.50 miles (walk)
    5/14 - 2 miles (class)
    5/15 - 2 miles (class)
    5/16 - 3 miles (walk)
    5/17 - 3 miles (walk)
    5/18 - 3.50 miles (walk)
    5/19 - 4 miles (class plus 2 mile walk)
    5/20 - 4.0 miles (walk)
    5/21 - 3.0 miles (walk)
    5/22 - 4.0 miles (class plus 2 mile walk)
    5/23 - 3.0 miles (walk)
    5/24 - 4.5 miles (walk)
    5/25 - 4.0 miles (walk)
    5/26 - 4.0 miles (walk)
    5/27 - 2.75 miles (walk)
    5/28 - 3.75 miles (class plus 1.75 walk)
    5/29 - 5.0 miles (class plus 3.0 walk)

Total Miles - 96.25
  • Garetie
    Garetie Posts: 92 Member
    Options

@ Margaret – You need a new profile picture. This really doesn’t look like you. Not that it’s a bad picture, but you’re so beautiful in person and have such an infectious smile. I say take a new picture and post it. Also, was this picture before your loss? You also look much thinner in real life. Just sayin’ my friend.

Susan is this one any better? btw I believe I'm the same weight now as in my earlier profile pic. Have a safe trip to east coast. :wink: