Family Support

Options

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Would you approve of your sons eating macaroni and cheese 4 nights a week? Or pizza rolls? Or any number of other easy-to-make-easy-to-eat meals that are awful for them?

I'm very fortunate. My daughter is leaning toward pollo vegetarianism. While she may eat a fair amount of macaroni and cheese, she also usually eats a large salad and some protein with it. She's a smart kid. She learns from other people's mistakes. :smiley: )

I figured @ZeroDelta, I just wanted to make sure you knew that while i was offering a dissenting opinion, that it is in fact OPINION and I didn't want you to think it meant I was casting some kind of judgement on your family's way of doing things, cause that's totally not where I was coming from:) Thanks for being so cool about it
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    All I can say is please try not to raise your kids to be fussy adults. Think of their future wife and what they are going to have to go through.

Or teach them to cook so they don't have to rely on their future spouse. :smile: :wink:

Well put! In spite of my leanings toward the "eat what I give you and like it" camp, in an ideal world, we teach our kids to make healthy choices ON THEIR OWN so they go out in the world and we don't have to worry they're making poor health choices and then affecting the people they love with them:)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I thought you said in another thread that you guys almost never eat together because of your husbands crazy work schedule and kids sports schedules? If that was my situation, any meal I could get everyone to eat together I would do it, regardless of what's on the menu. My kids are younger than yours and they are picky but when I find a meal that everyone enjoys I exploit the heck out of it for the one or two nights a week that we all eat together. Grilled cheese and tomato soup? You betcha. Taco night? Giddy up. Stir fry? Slam dunk.

You are chronically under your calories so why not eat the steak, rice and corn? They are teenage boys. That doesn't sound like the worst meal in the world to me... Add some fruit or a green vegetable/salad.... It sounds to me like you are looking for ways to keep yourself separate from them so that you can eat lower calorie foods without them being aware of some of your issues...
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a fussy eater, doesnt like bread or too much meat. Loves salads, olives etc. We cater to her fussiness because she is actually choosing food that is good for her. Sometimes what is put infront of you isn't the best food for you. She will often pack her own lunch if my husband has been including food she doesnt like too much.I try hard to stock up on her favs but often my husband doesnt think to include these things because its not what he would eat. If he had is way dinner would be meat & carbs. Onion would be about teh only veg in sight.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    My daughter is a fussy eater, doesnt like bread or too much meat. Loves salads, olives etc. We cater to her fussiness because she is actually choosing food that is good for her. Sometimes what is put infront of you isn't the best food for you. She will often pack her own lunch if my husband has been including food she doesnt like too much.I try hard to stock up on her favs but often my husband doesnt think to include these things because its not what he would eat. If he had is way dinner would be meat & carbs. Onion would be about teh only veg in sight.

Oh heck yeah Thunder. I didn't mean imply that it's okay to exert control over a child's food in the opposite (unhealthy) direction. I only meant if they are making bad choices, it's okay, if not required, to step in and help them make better ones.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    And obviously, you have to let your kid make choices of their own too. I just thought OP needed a little encouragement because she doesn't seem to think she has that right even if her requests are reasonable... like "eat healthy food"
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »

I figured @ZeroDelta, I just wanted to make sure you knew that while i was offering a dissenting opinion, that it is in fact OPINION and I didn't want you to think it meant I was casting some kind of judgement on your family's way of doing things, cause that's totally not where I was coming from:) Thanks for being so cool about it

No offense taken whatsoever. Dissent is what keeps things interesting. :smile:

• CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    For me, and I will admit this may just be a reality of growing up poor, as a child, you ate what was on your plate and considered yourself lucky. My mom would never complain if I didn't eat my noodles, but dare I EVER eat the less healthy portion of the plate and ignore the greens..... ugh. You can, like she did, exert a little power by demanding your kids make a choice of "eat the healthy thing or don't, but you're sure not getting any ice cream unless you do". It doesn't have to be forcing them to sit at the table til midnight to make sure they eat their greens. I mean there's some minutiae to this, and it's gonna be different for every family, but it's important that OP find the balance, cause it seems to me she's feeling quite powerless at the moment. It makes me sad for her that her husband doesn't want to help or can't or whatever.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Srsly, let your husband cook his own stuff if he's desperate for it. Give your kids some vegetables. (Or put bacon on whatever veg you give them. Bacon & brussel sprouts = delicious.) It's important, you're forming their taste buds.

Cook the same meal for everyone. (I don't know what you like, but if you like meat, a really easy way to feed a bunch of non-vegetarians is to just grill a bunch of whatever, and have potatoes or rice for sides. Plus a salad or boiled/steamed greens. Like it is done inside of 30 minutes, 40 tops if you're making potatoes. Most guys I know are fine with BBQ most days. There are indoor searing grills, too.)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    All I can say is please try not to raise your kids to be fussy adults. Think of their future wife and what they are going to have to go through.

Or teach them to cook so they don't have to rely on their future spouse. :smile: :wink:

This is really important. Start showing them how to (or just making them) prep stuff, or you're giving their future partners the same problem you have.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Put your foot down with your hubby and kids, and stick to it. If they want to eat and not go hungry, then they will want to come around pretty quickly :wink:

My mom cooked a lot of different foods and made us try a lot of things. She was a great cook, but she didn't cater to us - if you didn't like what was on the table, your option was to go to bed hungry. My brother and I grew up to be two of the least picky eaters you'll ever meet, with very broad/diverse palates. :)

It's hard for me to even imagine a grown man gagging and carrying on about vegetables on his plate. That sounds more like a spoiled prepubescent child to me. If I did that at the table, my wife would laugh at me and say "Go cook your own dinner then!".
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    What are they having that's so awful you can't eat it or have less cheese or bread with it?

My husbands favorite is Hamburger Helper although my sons even realize that's not a great choice.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    So looking for ideas how to get my family behind my healthy eating habits We rarely eat the same meals I normally cook 2 thing one for my boys and husband and then good food for me. Does anyone else do this? I would love to just cook one thing but there is no way I am eating the stuff they like and I am sure they would say the same.

my husband is the same - my kids eat what i give them - however matt is a little less encouraged with slimming world meals - however we are having a major breakthrough as i did bacon and leek quich last night and he ate it!!!
  • superhockeymom
    edited October 2015
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I thought you said in another thread that you guys almost never eat together because of your husbands crazy work schedule and kids sports schedules? If that was my situation, any meal I could get everyone to eat together I would do it, regardless of what's on the menu. My kids are younger than yours and they are picky but when I find a meal that everyone enjoys I exploit the heck out of it for the one or two nights a week that we all eat together. Grilled cheese and tomato soup? You betcha. Taco night? Giddy up. Stir fry? Slam dunk.

You are chronically under your calories so why not eat the steak, rice and corn? They are teenage boys. That doesn't sound like the worst meal in the world to me... Add some fruit or a green vegetable/salad.... It sounds to me like you are looking for ways to keep yourself separate from them so that you can eat lower calorie foods without them being aware of some of your issues...

True scoop we never eat together I just figured out Tuesday's we can if it's quick my husband has a thing Tuesday nights and Wednesday if we eat at 8 otherwise it's all different times but even on the night we r in and out it would be nice to make one meal and have them eat when able otherwise I spend all night cooking last night we were all home well mostly some a little late and I guess it hit me that I am still having to make tons of different food to satisfy everyone. Good thing I didn't have a big family lol
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Get the kids eating healthy food. It's good for them and you will raise people who won't be able to blame you for their bad habits. Get your husband on board because the kids will groan and whine about he doesn't eat them, lol.

You said it but the husband on board is not going to happen
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Get the kids eating healthy food. It's good for them and you will raise people who won't be able to blame you for their bad habits. Get your husband on board because the kids will groan and whine about he doesn't eat them, lol.

You said it but the husband on board is not going to happen
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Put your foot down with your hubby and kids, and stick to it. If they want to eat and not go hungry, then they will want to come around pretty quickly :wink:

My mom cooked a lot of different foods and made us try a lot of things. She was a great cook, but she didn't cater to us - if you didn't like what was on the table, your option was to go to bed hungry. My brother and I grew up to be two of the least picky eaters you'll ever meet, with very broad/diverse palates. :)

It's hard for me to even imagine a grown man gagging and carrying on about vegetables on his plate. That sounds more like a spoiled prepubescent child to me. If I did that at the table, my wife would laugh at me and say "Go cook your own dinner then!".

I should video tape it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The beauty of no longer having babies/toddlers, is that you really are not afraid they will starve or be labelled as failure to thrive or just cry until they turn blue. Cook whatever sounds reasonable to you, they can eat it, or not.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    The beauty of no longer having babies/toddlers, is that you really are not afraid they will starve or be labelled as failure to thrive or just cry until they turn blue. Cook whatever sounds reasonable to you, they can eat it, or not.

I like this idea and I I think next week I will be utilizing the crockpot then it's ready when they need it I'm not a short order cook and I can make veggies for me I will have rice or noodles or bread all ready for them. Win win for me not my husbands favorite but he will just have to get used to it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What are they having that's so awful you can't eat it or have less cheese or bread with it?

My husbands favorite is Hamburger Helper although my sons even realize that's not a great choice.

There's nothing wrong with Hamburger Helper. That's a go to for my family on busy nights too. I cook family packs of ground beef on the weekend and divide them up into 1 lb portions and stick in the freezer. It's ready in under 15 minutes and you can add some frozen green beans, chopped spinach, or frozen peas in it. Serve a salad on the side, and garlic bread. Everyone will be happy.

• superhockeymom
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with Hamburger Helper. That's a go to for my family on busy nights too. I cook family packs of ground beef on the weekend and divide them up into 1 lb portions and stick in the freezer. It's ready in under 15 minutes and you can add some frozen green beans, chopped spinach, or frozen peas in it. Serve a salad on the side, and garlic bread. Everyone will be happy.

No one would be happy if I added anything to it. I used to add peas back when I ate it.