October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @msf74

congratulations! I LOVE when we ignore our rationale thoughts and there is a sneaky plan inside our head, and despite everything, we stick to it :smile:
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    YOU GUYS - I ran my first 5k today and I had so much fun! I've never done one before and was nervous leading up to it. I also kept asking myself why the hell I would pay $30 to run a 5k with a large group of people when I can do it for free, in solitude, right outside my front door.

I loved it, though! The course was flat and paved which was great for me. I had no idea what my pace would be since I use a Fitbit and my running pace is always averaged with my warm up/cool down walk pace. My goal was to run the entire thing and finish in under 35 minutes.

Congratulations!! That is a great time! You will be hooked now and paying way more than $30 to run.

@HonuNui - cute picture!!
    @skippygirlsmom - Congrats to Skip! And you for beating your HM time!
    @patrikc333- wow, your miles just are amazing. And your commentaries are great as well!
    @tdbernrd - lol on that youtube video. I am guilty as charged of talking about my HM this year, that's for sure. Especially in my cycling group. There are some runners in that group too so they talk about their runs, but most of the cyclists are probably just glazing over when I mention my runs.

Oct 1 - cycling class
    Oct 2 - rest - traveling
    Oct 3 - rest
    Oct 4 - 13.1 HM!
    Oct 5 - rest - traveling
    Oct 6 - cycling class
    Oct 7 - 4.71 + strength training
    Oct 8 - 3.01 slow and steady
    Oct 9 - strength training
    Oct 10 - 34 mile bike ride
    Oct 11 - 40 mile bike ride
    Oct 12 - 5 miles
    Oct 13 - cycling class
    Oct 14 - 5.21 miles + strength training
    Oct 15 - 4.25 + cycling class
    Oct 16 - Strength training
    Oct 17 - 34 mile bike ride
    Oct 18 - 77 mile bike ride.
    Oct 19 - rest
    Oct 20 - 5.06 miles + cycling class
    Oct 21 - 4.66 miles
    Oct 22 - cycling class
    Oct 23 - 5.1 miles
    Oct 24 - 34 mile bike ride
    Oct 25 - 41 mile bike ride
    Oct 26 - rest - I really wanted to run this morning since it's been since Friday that I ran. But I must try to get rest days in! So I did and hope to not be too grouchy all day long.

exercise.png
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 cheers buddy. That's the problem with those sneaky thoughts. They just seem to get in there and keep prodding until you eventually have to give in!

Personally, I can have a tendency to over think things. My best runs tend to be when I can just switch my mind off, relax and go where the run takes me.
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    dharwood68 wrote: »
    10/25 3.03 (45.4) Dionysus 5K this morning. Improved 2 mins in 36 days. Bone Marrow Transplant can't stop me. Next 5K in 27 days.

AMAZING!!! Congrats!!
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved - That's awesome!!! Congrats! I also fight with myself about paying race fees but there is something about the atmosphere/running with others that does make it worth it when I can afford it! Like @skippygirlsmom - I do try to find races that benefit a local organization or a charity of some sort which helps!
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays Congratulations to my fellow MCM 10K runner! So exciting to hit a PR, amazing!

I missed my time goal, unfortunately. I decided to wait in the bathroom line before the start, so by the time I lined up I was so far back. I lost a lot of time in my first two miles trying to find some room and dodging around people. I just wasn't able to make the time up over the rest of the race. Good news is that I felt really good, and as always, the excitement and good spirit was amazing! It's a big confidence boost going into The Parks 10K next Sunday. That's a smaller race (about 2,000 I think) so my chances of getting my PR then is pretty good!

http://www.marinemarathon.com/Results/MCM_Results.htm?id=1104&tagcode=42483
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved, great job on the 5k!! That's a fantastic time (and well ahead of my first 5k time)! I justify the cost of a race the same way I justify going out to eat or having a few beers at a bar. Yes, I can eat and drink at home but there are other elements in going out that are very enjoyable. Considering looking for a used Garmin Forerunner 305. I found one on Craigslist for $45 and have seen them as low as $40. It takes some getting used to wearing it, but it is great for tracking your running and allows you to use the Garmin Connect website which will log all your runs, paces, routes, and even the miles on your shoes. The only thing missing from mine that the current models offer is bluetooth connectivity to my phone. With the FR305 I have to connect it to my PC to transfer the data to the garmin website.
    @5BeautifulDays, great job on the MCM10k!! Time to look for your next race!
    @patrikc333, sorry to year about your struggles. Hope the rest does you some good. Sometimes you just need to scale back and let your body repair.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Skipped running Sunday because we were just too busy getting Mom's house ready for sale. I did wake up early Sunday to run though and managed a 10.2 mile long run. We moved mom to Senior living last month and my siblings and I are going through the house, splitting up the heirlooms. Between that and thinking that it might be my last night every sleeping in the house I grew up in, it was quite an emotional weekend and a good run was very therapeutic. I'm still in the dumps, but the run helps. One thing I kept thinking about during the run was how little "stuff" matters and how much people, relationships, and experiences are the important things.

I had forgotten my FR305 so I used Strava on my phone to track my run. Though this was meant to be run at a slow, easy pace, I ended up averaging 10:05 miles, which is my fastest long run to date

The temp was 37F with no wind. A thin long sleeve shirt and shorts were perfect, but I sure could have used gloves for the first few miles.

Tapering down ahead of my HM this weekend!

10/01 - Camping
    10/02 - Camping, hiking
    10/03 - Camping, hiking
    10/04 - 5.6 miles running, hiking
    10/05 - 7.9 miles
    10/06 - Rest
    10/07 - 9.7 miles
    10/08 - 5.0 miles
    10/09 - Rest
    10/10 - 18 miles <-- New PR!
    10/11 - Life Day
    10/12 - Life Day
    10/13 - Packing
    10/14 - Packing
    10/15 - Deer Hunting
    10/16 - Deer Hunting
    10/17 - 5 miles (preceeded by deer hunting)
    10/18 - 15.1 miles
    10/19 - Rest
    10/20 - 8.5 miles
    10/21 - Rest
    10/22 - 6.8 miles inc 5 mi@8:53
    10/23 - 5.8 slow, easy miles
    10/24 - Rest
    10/25 - 10.2 Miles

Goal: 150 Miles
    Progress: 96.6 Miles
    Remaining: 53.4 Miles
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    115 posts to catch up on- whew- great job guys!!!

I feel really badly.. been super busy and trying to get my lifting back on track.
    I'm annoyed b/c I get so little sleep- what little motivation I had to get up and run is now officially gone since I don't have my training- I set out training for myself for the rest of the month to bring me to my goal- and it was manageable and reasonable... and yet- I haven't run all week. For shame. I need to get that sorted back out. Sign.

I've been going to bed VERY late and it's really messing with my world. So I need more sleep. For real.

Great job though everyone as we bring it in for the end of the month!
  • miss_vicky_5
    miss_vicky_5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    10/19 - 3.99 miles
    10/21 - 4.96 miles
    10/22 - 4.53 miles
    10/25 - 4.05 miles run. This one was hard. No idea why, but I was feeling really tired. HR all over the place.
    10/25 - 2.24 miles - hike

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Had a 7:00 am dentist appt for a root canal so no running today. Have pain pills and Cherry Garcia ice cream to keep me company today.

scnt2e3szwlk.jpg

All you ultra type runners will love this. 100 miles and 48 hours to do it, this guy sees the clock it says 47:59 here is his finish.

http://trailrunnersworld.com/trail-running/what-does-it-look-like-when-you-have-run-99-99-miles-and-you-have-mere-seconds-to-reach-100/

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Ha, very true about the race swag. I was pretty pumped about it, actually.
    @HonuNui - Great picture!
    @msf74 - Thank you! I've definitely air punched a time or two when my playlist picks a great song - you're definitely not alone.
    @ddmom0811 - Thank you! I assume that will be the case from now on - after the race was over the $30 didn't even occur to me since I enjoyed myself so much.
    @HealthyFocused715 - Thank you! I'm definitely going to look into races that donate to a good cause, I'm sure there are plenty of them around here.
    @7lenny7 - Thank you! That's a very good point about drinking at home versus the bar - and also one I consider often. Thanks for the advice on the Garmin, I never thought to look on Craigslist. I'll poke around and see what I can find. And I'm sorry about your emotional weekend, that sounds really hard. Glad you were able to clear your mind a bit and have a good run. It's always so important to find time to take care of ourselves in rough situations.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @dharwood68 great job on cutting time on your 5K Without being too personal "bone marrow transplant"??

@skippygirlsmom, Not personal at all. I had a bone marrow transplant in June to cure Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Being able to run again has been my medicine and anti-depressant. It has also helped me recover faster than dr's expected. Feel free to ask any questions. It has been a crazy journey for two years.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    dharwood68 wrote: »
    10/25 3.03 (45.4) Dionysus 5K this morning. Improved 2 mins in 36 days. Bone Marrow Transplant can't stop me. Next 5K in 27 days.

AMAZING!!! Congrats!!

Thank you so much!!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Had a 7:00 am dentist appt for a root canal so no running today. Have pain pills and Cherry Garcia ice cream to keep me company today.

scnt2e3szwlk.jpg

I'm calling an extra rest day here as well. It was raining this morning and I just didn't feel it mentally this morning. I don't normally skip a run, but this morning I really felt like I needed it.

Root canal? I do not envy you. I hope you heal up soon. Enjoy your rest day.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @kareF - Awesome race!
    @msf74 - great run! "Walking like a cowboy"...LOL!
    @Somebody_Loved - great first race! I justify the cost of them based on them now being a reward for all the training and no longer "just" a goal. For a lot of them, they are less expensive if you register early.
    @tdbernrd - ouch! hope you are feeling better...falling sucks!
    @dharwood68 - you rock! Awesome that running has helped you so much!
    @skippygirlsmom - ugh! Root canal...yuck! Feel better soon and enjoy the ice cream!

10/1 - 3.1 miles on the 'mill; plus 5.8 miles / 20 minutes on stationary bike.
    10/2 - Had to skip run/workout for a life insurance physical (bloodwork, etc.). Then, they couldn't get me to bleed, so I'm gonna have to do it again! Grrr!
    10/3 - 11.5 miles with HM group; cool, beautiful weather!
    10/4 - waaaayy overslept!
    10/5 - not off to a good start this month; kids up half the night with illness / asthma issues
    10/6 - 4.75 miles on a beautiful, cool morning.
    10/7 - 4.85 miles of hills with HM group
    10/8 - 4.65 miles
    10/9 - 0. Up half the night, again! Now feeling a bit under the weather. It's too early for this stuff, isn't it?
    10/10 - 7.92 miles with HM group. Cool morning, flat loop...nice run!
    10/11 - 3.15 mile "recovery" run. Slower pace with one of my 9 year olds...love getting to run with my kids! Sore hip though.
    10/12 - 4.75 miles. Beautiful weather! Hip better, but not perfect. Fired up for 5k and HM this weekend!
    10/13 - 0. Had my repeat life insurance physical, which went fine. Then spent the whole day waiting at home for Des Moines Water Works to turn water back on. Some sort of miscommunication between dispatch and the technician...UGH!!
    10/14 - 5.16 relaxing, lovely miles with HM group as we "taper" for this weekend. Got pulled over on the way to meet them at 4:45 a.m. Just a warning...woo hoo!
    10/15 - 4.25 miles on treadmill at Trek class. Took it a little slower and flatter than usual.
    10/16 - rest day before weekend race(s)
    10/17 - 2.96 miles @ IMT 5k Road Race - someone shortened the course! Oops!
    10/18 - 13.1 miles @ IMT Des Moines Half Marathon (1:48:41). New PR! Went out a little fast, but mostly had a great run on a beautiful day!
    10/19 - extended stretching with HM group. Relaxing.
    10/20 - 4 miles on indoor track with weights/strength work following.
    10/21 - 4.75 miles around my 'hood. For October, it was hot...beautiful!
    10/22 - 4.25 miles on treadmill at Trek class
    10/23 - unplanned rest day...just didn't feel like going.
    10/24 - 5 miles around my neighborhood...felt good, nice pace
    10/25 - normal rest day
    10/26 - 5.1 miles. Wish I didn't have to stop to get ready for work. Felt like I could have run forever.

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    So much for getting in lots of running when up north this past weekend. I was a bit too busy being in the wedding party to get away until a long run yesterday with my Sunday morning crew. I was planning on doing a few extra miles after wrapping up with the group, and was feeling great so I cranked up the speed (already 10 miles into the run), felt something in my knee twinge, and decided to call it quits after 13 miles. I felt fine about half a mile later, but I'm almost paranoid at this point about potential injuries with 2 races in the next 3 weeks, so I'm glad I stopped. Also, no marathons until January, so I figure my training to date this month (lots of 8-10 milers, and 13/14 mile long runs the past 2 weekends) should be more than enough distance for my pending half marathon & Olympic distance triathlon.

10/1 - 7 miles
    10/2 - 8.5 miles
    10/3 - 4 miles (pace run at 1/2 marathon speed)
    10/4 - 9 miles
    10/5 - 8.5 miles
    10/6 - 8.5 miles
    10/7 - 8 miles
    10/8 - 8 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-1-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 6:35 pace)
    10/9 - 9 miles
    10/10 - 4 miles
    10/11 - 8 miles
    10/12 - 7 miles
    10/14 - 9 miles (4 w. neighbor, 5 solo)
    10/15 - 1 mile (pre lift warm up)
    10/16 - 5 miles (w. strides at end)
    10/18 - 14 miles (8.5 easy Z2, final 5.5 at HM pace)
    10/19 - 6 miles
    10/20 - 10 miles (3 w. neighbor, 7 w 3-2 mile fast repeats)
    10/21 - 6 miles
    10/22 - 3 miles
    10/25 - 13 miles

Total: 156.5 miles
    Goal: 170 miles
    Remaining: 13.5 miles
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved Congratulations! That's an amazing time! You rock!
    @ddmom0811 I don't know how you ride the bike and run. Doing both is very challenging. Go ahead and brag. Show them pictures for good measure.
    @karllundy I'm better and healing up. I need to pay attention when I'm running. I like to disassociate from my run. I've been showing all of my coworkers my bruises and scrapes. :p

10/25-rest day
    10/26-4.09 miles (treadmill-It's raining...again)

exercise.png
  • sybabe35
    sybabe35 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'll be able to make my goal!!

10/1/15 3.64 mi
    10/9/15 4.6 mi
    10/14/15 7.53 mi
    10/15/15 5.11 mi
    10/17/15 6.53 mi
    10/22/15 5.11 mi
    10/23/15 5.11 mi
    10/24/15 3.1 mi

exercise.png

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    13km yesterday and 12km today for a monthly total of 219km/250km. Only 31km to go.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    My Favorite Running Terrain - I know some call me crazy.
    0tew81dymkfs.jpg

I want to be there running right now.