Options

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    momar23 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing- I'll let you decide. This afternoon I took the kids to Burger King, but didn't get myself anything because it wasn't time for my lunch, yet, and if I ate that early I'd be starving later (I'm a second-shifter). My seven-year-old told me that I needed to start eating again, because "I didn't need to lose any more weight and was healthy enough already." Good or bad? I'm about 7 lbs from my goal weight after losing 68 lbs.

Great that you made a conscious decision that Burger King wasn't the best option at the time. You're the adult. It's for you to decide for yourself when you should eat and what you should eat and the reasons for those decisions. The child should not be involved in any of it.

It's not her opinion that I worry about, it's whether I'm being a good example for them. I was happy that she used the term "healthy" instead of "dieting," as I've been telling them from the beginning that I'm not dieting, I'm trying to be healthier, and for me part of being healthier includes losing some weight. I've always told them not to worry about being stick figures, but at the same time there does come a point when extra weight becomes unhealthy. But her saying I needed to "start eating again" did worry me- are the kids under the impression that I'm starving myself? What does all of this (MFP, eating healthier, exercising) look like on their end? Mostly, their comments have been positive; this was the first time any of them have said anything that made me pause.

Maybe it's worth having a conversation about it. You do want them growing up with a healthy relationship with food. It may just come down to concern if they don't see you eating because you eat at different times. At least you can find out and quell any fears

THIS^^^
    Having a conversation with your daughter is definitely the first place to start. Open dialogue, questions answered, suggestions honored...what a wonderful example you're setting about how to 1) recognize an issue 2) address the issue 3) plan a course of action to remedy the issue 4) set attainable goals to help progress towards the remediation of the issue 5) reaching those goals and ultimately the end goal, and 6) maintaining the goal.

You're setting the kind of example we NEED your daughter and all of ours girls to see!

So I had that conversation with my daughter this morning. I showed her MFP and how you set up a profile. I showed her how I was currently set to lose 0.5 lb. per week, but would be going to maintenance soon. I showed her how to add food and exercise, and how exercising lets you eat more. I showed her my food diary from yesterday, and got the comment, "Wow, you ate a lot of snacks yesterday!" I talked to her about her thinking I needed to eat more and why she thought that, and she said she doesn't see me eat much. I asked her why she thought that might be, and she said probably because I eat when she's in school. We also talked about how all food has calories, and calories are like energy for your body, and some food has more calories than others. As I was talking to her, her siblings crowded around the computer, too. I had no idea MFP was so fascinating.

And, because I'm not trying to derail this thread, I have two NSV for today. First, I completed Week 5 Day 1 of C25K. And, when I finished Week 4 on Friday, I peeked ahead to Week 5 and wasn't even intimidated. ::I got this::

Second, I just got called "The incredible shrinking woman" by a co-worker. LOL.

I was interested to know the outcome. Great parenting!!!! There are so many people who just don't take the time to include/ teach/ respect/ raise their own kids... I can't tell you how happy it made me to see someone doing it right! There's hope for humanity, one well raised person at a time!
  • ReinventVictoria
    ReinventVictoria Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Today a coworker pulled me aside and asked me if I've lost weight and she suggested that I must have lost 15 lbs, she guessed right , she then proceeded to point out where she noticed the loss. She was so happy for me . My highest was 186 lbs this summer and this morning I was 171 lbs, it's gone up and down but this time Is different :) . My daughter bought me a 3 months membership to the gym to help me stay focused..... BTW congrats to everyone here!!!!!
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing- I'll let you decide. This afternoon I took the kids to Burger King, but didn't get myself anything because it wasn't time for my lunch, yet, and if I ate that early I'd be starving later (I'm a second-shifter). My seven-year-old told me that I needed to start eating again, because "I didn't need to lose any more weight and was healthy enough already." Good or bad? I'm about 7 lbs from my goal weight after losing 68 lbs.

Great that you made a conscious decision that Burger King wasn't the best option at the time. You're the adult. It's for you to decide for yourself when you should eat and what you should eat and the reasons for those decisions. The child should not be involved in any of it.

It's not her opinion that I worry about, it's whether I'm being a good example for them. I was happy that she used the term "healthy" instead of "dieting," as I've been telling them from the beginning that I'm not dieting, I'm trying to be healthier, and for me part of being healthier includes losing some weight. I've always told them not to worry about being stick figures, but at the same time there does come a point when extra weight becomes unhealthy. But her saying I needed to "start eating again" did worry me- are the kids under the impression that I'm starving myself? What does all of this (MFP, eating healthier, exercising) look like on their end? Mostly, their comments have been positive; this was the first time any of them have said anything that made me pause.

Maybe it's worth having a conversation about it. You do want them growing up with a healthy relationship with food. It may just come down to concern if they don't see you eating because you eat at different times. At least you can find out and quell any fears

THIS^^^
    Having a conversation with your daughter is definitely the first place to start. Open dialogue, questions answered, suggestions honored...what a wonderful example you're setting about how to 1) recognize an issue 2) address the issue 3) plan a course of action to remedy the issue 4) set attainable goals to help progress towards the remediation of the issue 5) reaching those goals and ultimately the end goal, and 6) maintaining the goal.

You're setting the kind of example we NEED your daughter and all of ours girls to see!

So I had that conversation with my daughter this morning. I showed her MFP and how you set up a profile. I showed her how I was currently set to lose 0.5 lb. per week, but would be going to maintenance soon. I showed her how to add food and exercise, and how exercising lets you eat more. I showed her my food diary from yesterday, and got the comment, "Wow, you ate a lot of snacks yesterday!" I talked to her about her thinking I needed to eat more and why she thought that, and she said she doesn't see me eat much. I asked her why she thought that might be, and she said probably because I eat when she's in school. We also talked about how all food has calories, and calories are like energy for your body, and some food has more calories than others. As I was talking to her, her siblings crowded around the computer, too. I had no idea MFP was so fascinating.

And, because I'm not trying to derail this thread, I have two NSV for today. First, I completed Week 5 Day 1 of C25K. And, when I finished Week 4 on Friday, I peeked ahead to Week 5 and wasn't even intimidated. ::I got this::

I was interested to know the outcome. Great parenting!!!! There are so many people who just don't take the time to include/ teach/ respect/ raise their own kids... I can't tell you how happy it made me to see someone doing it right! There's hope for humanity, one well raised person at a time!

Thank you. I feel kind of bad that it took me so long, but in the beginning, I didn't want all of this to revolve around food. I don't want them to develop a bad relationship with food. So I focused on "being more healthy," making healthier food choices, eating unhealthy foods in moderation, and being more active. But of course they saw me filling out my food diary. The whole family has benefited from my decision to lose weight. Before, if we were going to go out to do something, it was always dinner and/or a movie, because what else is there to do? Now, we go for bike rides, walks on the road, to the dog park, to the local bike trail, to the track at the school, to the playground, to the skating rink, to the YMCA... It's like a whole new world has opened up.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

THIS^^^

This is excellent, to be honest it's a huge NSV on its own, you are setting a great example for your kids!!
  • Ki3tA
    Ki3tA Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I finally have a NSV! For the first time in my life I can do an unassisted sit up!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with a rare treat from Coldstone. I got the smallest size, a few bites in I was just like "I can't believe I used to eat this whole thing." I ate 1/4 of it and let the rest melt. You no longer have any hold on me, cake batter ice cream! A few bites is all I need to be satisfied now.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Deadlift 330x5 @ 173lbs (Rep PR) Double overhand grip, no hook and no straps :smile:
  • brittany82872
    brittany82872 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Took a selfie today and realized my face is getting much slimmer
  • kathyelizabeth87
    kathyelizabeth87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've got some stretch marks! I know this is a bad thing, but I also know I'm losing!
  • workin_onit
    workin_onit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Okay I have two...

1. Running up steps from train and blowing past much younger people :smile:

2. This might be TMI but I did notice it and am pretty sure it's related to weight loss: when I'm on the potty, it's *much* easier to reach around to wipe, less of an acrobatic feat!
  • ElbowCoude
    ElbowCoude Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My nsv for today is that after losing 60 lbs I'm about the same size as when I met my husband ... Sex is SO much better now!!!!!!! Lol
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Going down to a L in workout compression pants and sports bras! Used to be a muffin toppy/back fatty XL/XXL before and now those pants are sliding down when I run lol.

Finished my last run on Saturday - a fun run, 2.5 miler Zombie Run in the middle of the night. You get chased and they try to "bite" you by taking your flag football style flags. I was trying to avoid them and went off the path, over a dip and went airborne and fell. Normally I would have called it a day and quit. Instead, I got up, burst out laughing, wiped off all the dirt and kept going. Turns out I'll only survive the zombie apocalypse with a good flash light lol.
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    fitfatty88 wrote: »
    Finished my last run on Saturday - a fun run, 2.5 miler Zombie Run in the middle of the night. You get chased and they try to "bite" you by taking your flag football style flags. I was trying to avoid them and went off the path, over a dip and went airborne and fell. Normally I would have called it a day and quit. Instead, I got up, burst out laughing, wiped off all the dirt and kept going. Turns out I'll only survive the zombie apocalypse with a good flash light lol.

That's a great NSV! Sounds incredibly fun too!

• jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I ran hills with my running coach this morning. Thought it was going to be a NIGHTMARE of death and destruction but it actually went really well. There were times I even wanted to go faster. Yay!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Weighted dips. +135lb x4! PR! @173 BW
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Weighted dips. +135lb x4! PR! @173 BW

Superman

• pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This is not a NSV, but I thought I'd share because I thought it was hilarious, sad, and true all at the same time. Maybe it will help to motivate someone to their own NSV. Now I will forever think of "The Blerch" when I'm feeling lazy.

"The terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances"
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Not in any way, shape or form related to weight buuuut:

I finally figured out how to do the data analysis for my lab report! This has been stressing me out so much but we got there in the end! Final year of my Chemistry degree and it's all getting very real now.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer but the pool I use is closed for repairs. So now I go to the High School track with my swimming buddy. This week I've walked 16 miles and it's only Tuesday.
    It feel great to use muscles in a different manner than usual.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My resting pulse is down by about 5 beats/minute. I am especially happy because I have only lost about 12 pounds so far!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!