WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Kim in N. California, I was snorting in my coffee thinking of my response to your question about the difference between trousers and pants in Ireland. Pants are what come out of your husband's mouth after you drop your trousers on the floor! As I understand it from my sister who lived in England for five years, the word pants is not used for clothing on your lower extremities. They do use the term panties for underwear for women. I think. It has been decades since she lived in Cambridge and I learned what a loo was, that pissing meant it was raining, etc. I love reading about the development of the English language as well as reading an interesting book about the development of a sign language in a small village where many had congenital deafness.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, my favorite bowl is the flower one too. I tend to be a bit old fashioned in my preferences. So I have a bunch of mismatched bowls and plates with flowers around the edges that I have picked up at yard sales and the Goodwill. I also use mismatched sterling silver flatware that I got from the same places and antique stores.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - the bowls are fabulous! Love them all! Is there any way you could get a couple over here? If you are passing a post office perhaps you could enquire about shipping, or google it. Obviously good packing is key, but I would pay good money. <3
    Would love to have your bowls on display. :flowerforyou:

Penny - Enjoy your drink at Raffles Hotel! :drinker: I wouldn't have the slightest pang of guilt. :laugh:

All you ladies who are talking about your age - I am 66, I have been on here over 3 years now. I have lost 56 lbs and kept it off, apart from one pesky pound, for nearly two years. I haven't felt deprived as I eat well and do a lot of exercise, but it does require dedicated logging and planning. I still log almost every day of my life and always will. The maths work.
    I am lucky that I don't crave high carb or sugary stuff, but I have my own challenges with cheese and alcohol. I don't do takeaway or processed food, so it is easier to eat high veg, lean protein, usually in a spicy format. I eat a lot.
    Tonight is squid stew. <3 I eat a lot of fish and seafood.
    I exercise 600 calories a day, except for yoga days - 236 - and I have always eaten my calories back. :D

No need for fancy plans or restrictions. The maths work. If you work it. B)

Love Heather UK

WELCOME Welsh lady!
  • susb
    susb Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Kim, don't get discouraged. You're putting negative thoughts in your head if you are relati g to how easy it was in the past. It can be accomplished now! Yes, our bodies do change as we age but that doesn't mean we can't reach our goals. I did, and it was shocking. I call it, silly as this might sound, eating correctly in the right amounts to lose or maintain your weight. I shocked myself as well as everyone who knew me. This sounds like one of those darn ads! It is not. I got rid of the mindset that I was on a "Diet", which to me represented denial of all the foods that I love. I simply told myself that I was never going to win the battle of losing or maintaining my weight by eating in that manner, day after day, year after year. It was a battle I was never going to win and as you know, you are continually left feeling defeated! I do know what it feels like to eat foods due to stress and comfort. This is never good, right? It makes you feel like you have no self control. It is, mindless eating...

I have to tell you this: by setting up a healthy eating plan, I lost 40 punds in few months. No, I did not starve myself. I did, every now and then, hit a couple of plateaus but I was patient. In the end I weighed 118, the same weight I was when I was 20 years old and this happened at the age of 55! Only, after six weeks of eating correctly, did I begin to do a small amount of walking and I added Pilates. I could never have imagined the results. I never went to a class, just used and bought DVD's to do at my home, at my convenience. I added my cardio by opening up my front door and walking in my neighborhood. A few months later, I had not only lost every pound I had ever dreamed of losing bit I was toned and in great shape.

I made sure I ate at near the same time, morning, noon and evening, around, 8, 12, 6 with 100-150 calorie snacks mid morning and mid afternoon. I was never starving and I enjoyed my meals and snacks more than ever because, I feel, I wasn't shoving food down my face all day long! I also wrote down everything I ate until I lost every last pound! I also drank green tea for a snack here or there, throughout the day.

I ate lots of protein, vegetables and fruits (wow, what a surprise!) My grocery list had all the healthy items included each week when shopped.

Overall, I did not eat bread at every meal. I kept bread, pasta, rice and potatoes to a minimum while I was losing the weight and measured it out when I was in maintenance. I did switch everything to whole wheat or grains. I did eat sweet potatoes. I did not rule out peanut butter (natural), butter (whipped) olive oil, low cal salad dressing or honey. I made sure to limit these items and measure them out, so I could add them into my daily count. It would be ridiculous to think that any of us could sustain a healthy diet for life without having the small amounts of flavoring these type items add to your overall eating experience. I think this is where people go off track, they feel they have to go on a "diet" and deny themselves of everything if they are ever going to reach success; not true! It's not small amounts of anything like these items; it was the overall excess calories day after day, that made us put on all of the extra weight, right?

I made sure not to bring any food that was tempting or not good for me, into the house, especially during the first six weeks of forming my healthy eating routine. If someone did bring something home, I quickly tucked it out of sight, later, it didn't matter, my quick results and healthy eating habits were a way life.

I measured everything I ate with measuring cups and spoons.

When I went out to eat, which I avoided because of old habits, I strictly ordered healthy items.

Oh yes, two more things, I weighed myself every day and I used 5 lb. goals as an incentive from the start. 160 would be 155, 155 would be 150' until I reached the last goal of 118. In the end, I was too skinny. Best weight, for my age, was anywhere from 120 to 130.

I was so proud when I went to my OBGYN and blurted out that I had lost 40 pounds! He told me: you're too thin, you need some weight on you, you've passed menopause!

Wow, sometimes you can't win! This was one issue I didn't mind having and I could easily modify.

I hope I am not coming off as preachy; I simply want to share my experience so that all of you could realize losing and maintaining weight should not be thought of as a battle; it truly does have to be a way of life!

Yes, make sure to reward yourself with bubble bath, body lotion, a new DVD or anything you like, instead of using food as a reward!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Went in to talk to doctor. We had a very fruitful discussion. The problem was in the computer system and how the prescription was written out. He is so frustrated and angry because he said computers are not decreasing these types of errors. He showed me how they go about entering in a prescription into the system. The wording of the prescription was poor in this case, but you could see how easy it is to click on the wrong prescription, too. He did not do this. It is hard to explain why the prescription was incorrect, but it was. This is a standing prescription so I am glad I went in because the same thing would have happened again the next time he would go to get this filled. Now it is correct.

Lessons learned is
    1. to have your medications filled at a pharmacy because they are another check your health care. A mail order pharmacy would not have caught this error.
    2..Check your medications to see if they are the right dose and right prescription. If something does not seem right speak up.
    3. If something does not seem right in your meds plan that they send home with you ask questions the potential for confusing and conflicting info is strong.

He is going to take DH case to the safety committee as another example of how this system compromises good care. I am glad I went in because if if helps in bringing light to this issue and then improvements I did the right thing. Anyone who take prescription medication needs this awareness.

:heart: Margaret

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I'm going to be outside trying to get the rest of the trim painted on the garage. I thought it would have to wait until spring but we are having a couple days of 50 degrees.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Hi girls!

Everyone is running round trying to set up exchange and completion dates on my rental. I think we will be clearing out the flat next week. It was fully furnished. She wants me to leave the fridge freezer, washing machine and dining table and chairs. That's great as I don't have to pay for the cubic feet in the van. :) There is an enormous TV which is a shame, but I did offer it to her. :/ At least I won't have to disconnect the washing machine and the cooker is electric, so no gas problems.
    I was in tears of relief this lunchtime. Please, please, please let it go without a hitch now. :o

DH went off to the supermarket and I stayed behind and did my hair roots. I'm now a natural blonde again! :laugh: I feel sooooooo much better when it's done. My back is still sore, but not any worse.

Lots of love, Heather UK
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I am so happy to see the pictures of your bowls. The bowls are lovely. I especially like the flower bowl for your DH. I am also thrilled to see so many bowl shapes. You have inspired me to return to bowl making in the glass studio. I want to see if I can manage to replicate some of those shapes.

Mia in MI
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Barbie, I’d have to try to get in the middle of some of that snuggling. How sweet!!!

Becca, smiley-laughing025.gif yogurt and G-strings. Yep that sounds like a man. Or maybe a “boy”??? cute fur babies. Oh and darling kitten!!!

MicheleNC, we finally got a little rain last night and they are still saying could get up to an inch overnight tonight. I would think you might get more but ya never know?

Sylvia, it’s November already and guess what? Next month is Christmas!! Yikes, right? No offense but pumpkin turkey chili doesn’t even sound good. I commend you for trying it.

Mindy, I hope your rough day at work was just physically rough and not emotionally rough. Hope you got some good rest and things look brighter today. (((Hugs)))

Sylvia, I didn’t realize you posted the finished bowls on the end of last month. They are fantastic!!! They do look better than the ones the kids did, but I thought they were going to paint them again this year? You are such an angel for donating all of that.

Joyce, you said, “I used to make a real good chicken pot pie and I used store bought pie crust for it. It was one of those things that made me 233 pounds.” smiley-laughing008.gif That is something I would still eat in moderation. In fact, as my DH would say, “You flung a craving on me”.

Irish, a huge CONGRATS, on your success in this journey. When I started this journey I’m not even sure I believed that I could do it, but once the pounds started dropping off I sure became one. If two years ago someone told me that I would lose 60 pounds, I’d not have believed them. Isn’t it wonderful???

Gloria, wishing you the best luck with finding a new place. At the least, I’d figure you’d have 30 days from the time a proper notice of eviction is given. Hang in there!!! (((Hugs)))

Karen, how nice of you to go to the memorial service to support your colleague. And what kind words you spoke. Thank you. Crossing my fingers for you on your health checkup.

Jenna, welcome. You did a great thing by losing weight and I really support you in not putting it back on! That is the worst thing I can think of. This is a great place for support and information so come often. You don’t have to respond to everyone or even to anyone. Concentrate on you for now! Thanks for being honest about your drinking. And yes, I’d say at our age we should be past getting drunk and having hangovers. That is the last thing I want to happen to me and I love my Vodka and Tonics. Did you lose the weight using MFP or some other way? We totally support you in this life journey. Hang in there. You can do this!!

Peach, good to see you again. I can see where the stress of your Mom’s house isn’t helping the situation. You are strong enough to overcome the stresses in life and conquer the situation. If you aren’t ready to totally give up your wine, how about switching to something else? A mixed drink, a spritzer or even a beer. If you don’t like it as much maybe that would be a good way to ween off of it. Just a thought. Take care. (((Hugs)))

Margaret, I think I’d talk to the doctor, too. They need to be aware of what happened so they can keep an eye on things. Who knows, this sort of thing could have happened before. Good for you.

Pat, so sorry to hear about your DH’s health issues. Sending healing thoughts for him and strength for you. Please remember to take care of yourself as you won’t be any good for DH if you don’t. Please try to stop in and give us an update a little more often because we care. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, thank you for sharing about your journey and your success. I knew it from being here as long as I have but think it’s important for newer members to hear. There are some that have been on here for a long time that have not been as successful but I get the feeling that they also don’t eat fewer calories than they burn. Like you say, it’s just math and it works. And we all know that you eat a wonderful variety of food.

Susb, very nice testimonial. I don’t know if you are joining our little group but if so, please tell us a bit about yourself. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called. Welcome.

Mary, you reminded me that I have two spots of trim that need painting before winter. I have to get the paint so I can do it the next dry spell that we have.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I have a Moose meeting tonight where they will serve food. I’m getting better at resisting even a bite or two. I hate to miss the social time to visit with the members but have to just not look at or think about the food. I can do this. I can do this.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Remember: Just because you see the hook doesn't' mean you have to bite.smiley-char096.gif
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Peachstategal - Do you feel that your mother will be returning to her home? Why do you feel you need to keep everything at this point? You and your sister could decide to give the furniture to whomever wants it and sell the rest. You could also sell the house and put the money into your mom's care. You may very well have good reasons to keep everything and that is fine. I'm just curious as to why you are keeping something that is costing you in upkeep.

Mia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Heather-you must be very excited! I hope everything goes well for you.

Mary from Minnesota
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Miriam – I love the idea of having a dinner party where each place setting is a different pattern for the dishes and silver ware. I realize it is necessity that dictated this for you, but I think it is marvelous. When I lived in England I fell in love with chintz china patterns and could never pick just one favorite to purchase an entire set so I never got any. Now I wish I had gotten one of each.

Mia in MI
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    susb wrote: »
    Kim, don't get discouraged. You're putting negative thoughts in your head if you are relati g to how easy it was in the past. It can be accomplished now! Yes, our bodies do change as we age but that doesn't mean we can't reach our goals. I did, and it was shocking. I call it, silly as this might sound, eating correctly in the right amounts to lose or maintain your weight. I shocked myself as well as everyone who knew me. This sounds like one of those darn ads! It is not. I got rid of the mindset that I was on a "Diet", which to me represented denial of all the foods that I love. I simply told myself that I was never going to win the battle of losing or maintaining my weight by eating in that manner, day after day, year after year. It was a battle I was never going to win and as you know, you are continually left feeling defeated! I do know what it feels like to eat foods due to stress and comfort. This is never good, right? It makes you feel like you have no self control. It is, mindless eating...

I have to tell you this: by setting up a healthy eating plan, I lost 40 punds in few months. No, I did not starve myself. I did, every now and then, hit a couple of plateaus but I was patient. In the end I weighed 118, the same weight I was when I was 20 years old and this happened at the age of 55! Only, after six weeks of eating correctly, did I begin to do a small amount of walking and I added Pilates. I could never have imagined the results. I never went to a class, just used and bought DVD's to do at my home, at my convenience. I added my cardio by opening up my front door and walking in my neighborhood. A few months later, I had not only lost every pound I had ever dreamed of losing bit I was toned and in great shape.

I made sure I ate at near the same time, morning, noon and evening, around, 8, 12, 6 with 100-150 calorie snacks mid morning and mid afternoon. I was never starving and I enjoyed my meals and snacks more than ever because, I feel, I wasn't shoving food down my face all day long! I also wrote down everything I ate until I lost every last pound! I also drank green tea for a snack here or there, throughout the day.

I ate lots of protein, vegetables and fruits (wow, what a surprise!) My grocery list had all the healthy items included each week when shopped.

Overall, I did not eat bread at every meal. I kept bread, pasta, rice and potatoes to a minimum while I was losing the weight and measured it out when I was in maintenance. I did switch everything to whole wheat or grains. I did eat sweet potatoes. I did not rule out peanut butter (natural), butter (whipped) olive oil, low cal salad dressing or honey. I made sure to limit these items and measure them out, so I could add them into my daily count. It would be ridiculous to think that any of us could sustain a healthy diet for life without having the small amounts of flavoring these type items add to your overall eating experience. I think this is where people go off track, they feel they have to go on a "diet" and deny themselves of everything if they are ever going to reach success; not true! It's not small amounts of anything like these items; it was the overall excess calories day after day, that made us put on all of the extra weight, right?

I made sure not to bring any food that was tempting or not good for me, into the house, especially during the first six weeks of forming my healthy eating routine. If someone did bring something home, I quickly tucked it out of sight, later, it didn't matter, my quick results and healthy eating habits were a way life.

I measured everything I ate with measuring cups and spoons.

When I went out to eat, which I avoided because of old habits, I strictly ordered healthy items.

Oh yes, two more things, I weighed myself every day and I used 5 lb. goals as an incentive from the start. 160 would be 155, 155 would be 150' until I reached the last goal of 118. In the end, I was too skinny. Best weight, for my age, was anywhere from 120 to 130.

I was so proud when I went to my OBGYN and blurted out that I had lost 40 pounds! He told me: you're too thin, you need some weight on you, you've passed menopause!

Wow, sometimes you can't win! This was one issue I didn't mind having and I could easily modify.

I hope I am not coming off as preachy; I simply want to share my experience so that all of you could realize losing and maintaining weight should not be thought of as a battle; it truly does have to be a way of life!

Yes, make sure to reward yourself with bubble bath, body lotion, a new DVD or anything you like, instead of using food as a reward!

Very encouraging story and plan of action for weight loss at our ages. I have for the most part followed the same path.

I began my journey on MFP on March 8th of this year weighing 198.2 lbs with my height being 5'3 1/2". My last weight was 181.8 lbs on August 25th and it has stalled at about 185 lbs since then. Very discouraging because I feel I am doing the right things to lose the weight. Ugh! I try and get in a 3 mile walk most days of the week. I do moderate strength training 2-3 times per week. For the most part my calorie consumption is about 1300 cals per day.

In the past I would have thrown in the towel. I'm sticking with it this time as it is a lifetstyle change not a diet that I am on. However, something has to give here because I don't know what the problem is regarding the stopped weight loss.

Cheri plateauing along in sunny NE Ohio

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Just found the pictures of the bowls. Simply beautiful! Especially the flower one!

Cheri
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Barbie – Thanks for keeping us going ! ! !

Michele - Is there anything else she treasures that can be her “Something Old”? Or maybe even pin the ring inside her dress somewhere, or wear it on a chain around her neck? My Mom had a particular necklace that I loved, and I wore it only for my wedding day, then gave it back. There was also a handkerchief that has been handed down numerous generations that everyone wore pinned inside her dress. You can find a way to make this special. Skype during dress shopping is a marvelous idea, too. Hugs !

Margaret – This whole thing makes me so sad. I don’t think you really need a reason for firing a doctor, you just fill out the paperwork to transfer your records to whomever you want as your new provider. Or ask for the records to be released to you, then take them with you wherever you go until you have made a decision. Hugs ! ! !

Gloria – what luck on the duplex. I hope the right option falls into your lap. Moving is so stressful. Hugs !

Sylvia – Cute cartoon. My DS struggles with time change both spring and fall. Good luck with your canine alarm clock. // The bowls are great. I like them all !

Almost time for lunch. I will send this, and return after lunch to get caught-up with all of you.

I just got a phone call from a local number I didn’t recognize. A few weeks ago, after shopping at El Rey, I saw a drawing box. If you buy a certain brand of ham you sign the back of your receipt and give them your phone number to enter to win a TV. Tomorrow I will pick up my new TV. I’m so pumped ! ! ! I don’t even remember any details about it, but it is my favorite price range: FREE !

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DJ: I was a horse-crazy little girl without the opportunity to pursue my interest. DH and I have been sailors since early in our marriage and I love it, but he is not able to sail with comfort or pleasure at this point. He doesn't even go out in his fishing boat. Riding is something I have always yearned for and can do on my own at moderate cost. I'm having a great time learning all the things I wanted to learn at age 11. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I love the picture of Sasha and Bernie! :heart:

Becca: Your DH is a prize! I agree that I need to be in the right mood to bra shop & don't go with my husband. As a result of weight loss, the "girls" got smaller. In fact, I now am back to the bra size I had when DH and I met back in college. My shoulders and back are very happy with the change & DH doesn't seem to mind a bit. :devil: I like your November goals. Excellent choices! :flowerforyou: How many toes did that big footed kitten have? :huh:

Michele in NC: I agree with you about the time change. I'd be happy with year-round daylight time. :ohwell:

Sylvia: Pumpkin-turkey chili sounds interesting, but not tempting. I have a low sodium chili recipe that DH and I both like. We typically use beef with it but have used turkey burger and been satisfied. It is based on a chili recipe you posted quite a while back, but with a salt free seasoning mix. I'd be happy to share if you are interested. :flowerforyou:

Kim: I watched the British Baking Show last week & have seen it once before. I like it so much better than the cooking channel baking competitions. The judges are not there to humiliate and make sarcastic comments. They teach, explain & encourage as they go along AND they are POLITE. :heart: That said, If I cooked anything they attempt I would likely eat the whole thing myself and then regret it. :ohwell:

Gloria: Good luck with home hunting! Your landlord sounds like an unethichal & greedy soul, but perhaps they're simply ignorant of their duties. :grumble: I love your goals for November, particularly the gratitude journal. :flowerforyou:

Jenna in UK: Welcome to a great group! I would add only one goal to your list. Log every bite and swallow. I like the goal because it keeps me honest with myself. I don't get away with "a little nibble won't hurt."

Peach1948: You have a lot to deal with at this time. Renting out your mom's house is a great idea. Your brothers need to man-up and provide some help. :devil:

Pat: Sorry to hear your DH is having health problems. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I agree with your comments about losing weight. I am also 66 & age has not been an obstacle but self-discipline was a challenge, especially at first. I needed to want to lose weight for my own sake, not because "I should." I weighed and measured everything I ate for the first couple of years because I was already eating healthy food & my problem was portion control. Along the way I chose to give up alcohol because I wasn't good at portion control and it was affecting my memory. I don't miss it. Now I estimate portions of many things and weigh and measure on an occasional basis to be sure my portion sizes haven't been creeping up. I plan to be here for the long term. The support is wonderful. :heart: On another subject-Congratulations on selling your flat! :star::bigsmile: :star:

Margaret: I'm so glad you went in to have a talk with the doctor. Thank you for the reminder that errors can happen and we all need to stay vigilant if we are taking prescriptions. :heart:

The painter called this morning and will not be here due to weather concerns. Right now it looks great here & I think he's missing a good opportunity, but he will be here on Wednesday based on the predicted weather. I hope it works out on Wednesday. If not, I'm not sure what we will do. The outside surfaces are all primed so at least they are safe from wet weather.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Pat I unfortunately can relate. DH feeling much better since blood thinner is working.

DJ I believe you can do it too because you are thinkjng about it ahead of time.

Georgia Peach our family had to sell the family home this past summer for the same reason the upkeep was too expensive. My mom is not going to be able to return home. Someone should have power of attorney to be able to pay her bills. My brother had that so it was possible to sell her home. If no one has that I am afraid you will need to go through the courts to get this done. It is not your responsibility to pay the bills on her home but her estate. Without the power of attorney it makes it hard for the estate to do this. It is a tough call if the home is worth a lot because without paying the bills a lean will go on the property and those bills will be settled before the estate is divided. Again it shows the importance of getting these pieces in place before there is a problem. It is a hard enough time as it is. I am thankful to my mother for having the power of attorney in place. I would keep a record of all expenses so when the estate is divided these paid bills on both your parts in taken into consideration. You are saving the estate thousands by keeping up on those bills. ((((((Hugs))))).
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Carol in GA/Peach! So glad you're here... your little peach icon is exactly what triggered the memory of you, so I went looking through some of the older months to find when I'd last seen you. Stay if you can... you were missed.

Margaret - Glad you got the prescription thing straightened out... I very nearly ended up taking high blood pressure medication that I most certainly did not need because a nurse "straightened out" what she thought was a doctor error for a medication that was quite near in name to the one she thought I should be taking. The nurse had taken my blood pressure, which was momentarily high because I was seriously ticked off at the four-hour wait to see the doctor that day. My ordinary blood pressure is around 105 / 60, and it was a lot higher at that moment. Comedy of errors that was, but could have been a tragedy.

My pharmacist caught it, because he knows me, and pays attention to what I'm taking. When he asked me if I was supposed to be taking blood pressure meds, I had to go do the long backtrack and get the nurse to "straighten out," what she had fouled up! So yes, everyone, pay attention to what you're supposed to be taking, and clarify what you or your loved one are taking with your doctor AND your pharmacist so everyone's on the same page!

Painting floors today at the warehouse... Ran 2.7 miles this morning, and completed Chapter 4 (total 3500 words since yesterday morning) on the sequel to "This Little Pig."

Lisa in Sunny West Texas

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your thoughts about my mom's house. They put the house in my sister's and my name along with my mother over 6 yrs ago and it can't be sold until she passes on . At this time she is on Medicaid and no she won't be returning home. My biggest fear is that when she passes on, the State might come in and claim the house for the money they have expended on her care. If she lives for more than a few years, all the money we have invested in its care may be lost. One brother actually went to the bank to borrow the money to buy it from us and he was told they wouldn't lend him the money as long as the estate was set up like it is. Funny thing is that he is the lawyer who had it set up this way. Enough ranting. I just have to leave it up to God and know that things will work out for the best.

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Cheri - I would guess that something is going wrong with your maths. :) I say that because I found I was making a big miscalculation on portion size with boxed microwave popcorn. Cereal is another one where you have to weigh carefully. It is very, very easy to underestimate how much we are eating. Everything has to be weighed and measured. And carefully logged. No exceptions. No guesswork. No cheat days. No, "Oh once won't hurt". No, "I deserve a treat." No, "I've had a hard day, so I'll make an exception." No, "I'll just eat it to be sociable and they've gone to so much trouble."
    You can do it. :flowerforyou:
    Is your diary open? Is everything on there?

Love Heather UK