Not a fan

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
edited November 2015 in Chit-Chat
Someone sent me a video of Whitney Thore on FB and I was one of the few who commented that while she dances fine (she was a dance competitor before gaining weight), her disregard of her weight (almost 400lbs) and not trying to lose weight, might send the wrong message. I'm not saying that one CAN'T happy while being heavy, but at her weight, there is eventually going to be health issues. And health issues have nothing to do with body acceptance. It has to do with being overweight enough to cause health issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Bring on the fat-shaming comments
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Fat shaming would be using being fat as reasons that aren't valid. EX: lazy, non ambitious, etc. Mine was DIRECTLY related to health and you won't find any medical journal or science journal that will condone being very overweight/obese as leading a healthy lifestyle and combating health issues.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Fat shaming would be using being fat as reasons that aren't valid. EX: lazy, non ambitious, etc. Mine was DIRECTLY related to health and you won't find any medical journal or science journal that will condone being very overweight/obese as leading a healthy lifestyle and combating health issues.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I wasn't necessarily referring to you. But you know it's coming.

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Weak individuals will use any "message" to continue doing things detrimental to their health (or any other aspect of life). Obesity as a whole is a much larger problem than the fat acceptance movement.

The presence of marijuana doesn't stop me from watching Wiz Khalifa music videos. Since it's illegal in my state, I don't partake. However, it's easy for parents with pothead children to say "It's that blasted Wiz Khalifa and Snoop Doggy Dog making him smoke the marijuana cigarettes."
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Weak individuals will use any "message" to continue doing things detrimental to their health (or any other aspect of life). Obesity as a whole is a much larger problem than the fat acceptance movement.

The presence of marijuana doesn't stop me from watching Wiz Khalifa music videos. Since it's illegal in my state, I don't partake. However, it's easy for parents with pothead children to say "It's that blasted Wiz Khalifa and Snoop Doggy Dog making him smoke the marijuana cigarettes."
    She obviously loves to dance and for her size moves pretty well. But the body isn't made to hold 400lbs of mass and move like that. She may be able to do it now (and we have no idea if she's in any chronic pain or not), but it's only a matter of time till joint issues happen. It happens with competitive dancers who are thin.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    What ever makes a person happy. Each to their own but, don't expect no consequence for any action. Either way.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Very talented, but definitely not healthy or attractive.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Very talented, but definitely not healthy or attractive.
    Unfortunately she doesn't believe that health at that weight is an issue. She opines that one can be obese and healthy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

"She was living in a single room w/ 3 other individuals, one of them was a male, and the other two, well hell the other two were females. God only knows what they were up to in there, and furthermore Susan I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that all four of them habitually smoked marijuana cigarettes..... reefers!!"

large_8xykwgt55115.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the woman you mention but I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese. How do you accept a disease (obesity) and an increased risk of so many other diseases for someone you love? It doesn't seem possible to me.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Isn't dancing exercise?
  • Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,592 Member
    Options
    She does apparently have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome which even with exercise causes her to gain rapid weight. :/
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Isn't dancing exercise?
    Yes, but just exercising doesn't cause one to get obese. That's still about calorie surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Tialuna18 wrote: »
    She does apparently have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome which even with exercise causes her to gain rapid weight. :/
    PCOS can be helped with the assistance of an endocrinologist. Not all women gain weight who are diagnosed PCOS, however having PCOS does result in slower weight loss. It still comes down to calories in/out.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Have you watched her show on TLC? Recently she has been trying to lose weight, she is very aware that she is on the verge of diabetes. Her No Body Shame campaign is for ALL body types, not only obese. It includes everything from lazy eyes to war veterans with amputations. I never heard her say that she's truly happy with her weight, only that she wants herself and other people to love themselves no matter what your body looks like at the moment. She might make a joke about it here or there but nothing serious. I'm not big on this "body acceptance" movement going around but it frustrates me when people assume that it is about not caring you are fat- It's not the same thing.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff I have to agree with you. She is all about accepting her "big fat fabulous life", but she is seriously neglecting her health. Yes she has PCOS, but CICO still comes into effect she isn't burning off more than she eats period. In other words she need to eat less. I get it I have hypothyroidism and it is harder for somebody with certain health issues to lose but it is very possible. You have to be willing to make adjustments. It seems like she isn't even trying to get to a healthier weight.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Ninerbuff I have to agree with you. She is all about accepting her "big fat fabulous life", but she is seriously neglecting her health. Yes she has PCOS, but CICO still comes into effect she isn't burning off more than she eats period. In other words she need to eat less. I get it I have hypothyroidism and it is harder for somebody with certain health issues to lose but it is very possible. You have to be willing to make adjustments. It seems like she isn't even trying to get to a healthier weight.

So?
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »

So?

That is fine if she wants to eat herself to death. I just don't want to watch it on tv.