Not a fan

Options

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Ninerbuff I have to agree with you. She is all about accepting her "big fat fabulous life", but she is seriously neglecting her health. Yes she has PCOS, but CICO still comes into effect she isn't burning off more than she eats period. In other words she need to eat less. I get it I have hypothyroidism and it is harder for somebody with certain health issues to lose but it is very possible. You have to be willing to make adjustments. It seems like she isn't even trying to get to a healthier weight.

So?

That is fine if she wants to eat herself to death. I just don't want to watch it on tv.

So?
  • YouBlowMyMind
    YouBlowMyMind Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Exactly whats MsJules said. Have any of u actually watched her show.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think this discussion might be more fruitful if you distinguished between issues you have with the concept of HAES and singling out any individual who advocates for it. It's too easy when you do the latter to conflate that with fat shaming.

I fundamentally disagree with HAES. I don't think you can have health at any size. You can hope to have healthy habits at any size, but obesity will always be a ticking time bomb. I think this is what you're trying to say.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Have you watched her show on TLC? Recently she has been trying to lose weight, she is very aware that she is on the verge of diabetes. Her No Body Shame campaign is for ALL body types, not only obese. It includes everything from lazy eyes to war veterans with amputations. I never heard her say that she's truly happy with her weight, only that she wants herself and other people to love themselves no matter what your body looks like at the moment. She might make a joke about it here or there but nothing serious. I'm not big on this "body acceptance" movement going around but it frustrates me when people assume that it is about not caring you are fat- It's not the same thing.

Nicely said.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the woman you mention but I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese. How do you accept a disease (obesity) and an increased risk of so many other diseases for someone you love? It doesn't seem possible to me.

Are you kidding me? It's one thing to discuss whether a person who is obese needs to worry about health problems, but it's another thing entirely to say something as ridiculous as what you just said. A person's self worth is not tied into his or her body alone, and whether or not a person is fat does not make them loveable. People struggle with body image every day, and to say that someone who is morbidly obese should struggle with the ability to love oneself is asinine.
    Look in the mirror. I'm sure you have flaws. Learn to look past them and see your own unique beauty - that's what every person needs to do, thin, obese, tall, short, black, white, man, woman, etc. Loving oneself shouldn't have anything to do with the image in the mirror. It has to do with knowing who you are as a person and knowing you're doing the best you can.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I love her! Trying to lose weight and trying to lose weight while having PCOS are 2 very different battles. I've been there. It sucks! And like her I learned to be happy in my own skin, regardless of my size. The fact people would be upset about that truly pisses me off!!! Why are overweight people not allowed to be happy? Why can't we go on dates or out dancing? And heavens *kitten* forbid we get caught having a good time!!!! We are fat right! We should be at home eating carrot sticks or running on the treadmill until we have become socially acceptable to be happy in public.
    Whitney struggles, she has never hidden that fact. But because she goes out and has pizza with her friend or fights with her dad about eating a freaking sandwich she must not be trying. She does more in one day then most of my skinny friends do in a week. You can be skinny and happy, fat and happy, poor and happy, rich and happy..... But you have no business deciding who is and isn't allowed to be happy in the life they have.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Never heard of her, but sometimes people make stupid comments as a self-defense mechanism. She knows she needs to lose weight and get healthy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the woman you mention but I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese. How do you accept a disease (obesity) and an increased risk of so many other diseases for someone you love? It doesn't seem possible to me.

Are you kidding me? It's one thing to discuss whether a person who is obese needs to worry about health problems, but it's another thing entirely to say something as ridiculous as what you just said. A person's self worth is not tied into his or her body alone, and whether or not a person is fat does not make them loveable. People struggle with body image every day, and to say that someone who is morbidly obese should struggle with the ability to love oneself is asinine.
    Look in the mirror. I'm sure you have flaws. Learn to look past them and see your own unique beauty - that's what every person needs to do, thin, obese, tall, short, black, white, man, woman, etc. Loving oneself shouldn't have anything to do with the image in the mirror. It has to do with knowing who you are as a person and knowing you're doing the best you can.

It's not assinine. And it's not about being flawless. It has nothing at all to do with race, stature, gender or attractiveness.

It's about willingly and knowingly giving a disease (obesity) to and raising the risk for numerous other diseases for someone you claim to love.

It's ridiculous to compare health with what you see in the mirror.
  • mccindy72
    Options

It's not assinine. And it's not about being flawless. It has nothing at all to do with race, stature, gender or attractiveness.

It's about willingly and knowingly giving a disease (obesity) to and raising the risk for numerous other diseases for someone you claim to love.

any person can be unhealthy and still love who they are. Those are two different things. Focusing solely on the body and discussing it in this way (and causing lurkers to see it as well) is going to cause disordered thinking.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited November 2015
    Options

any person can be unhealthy and still love who they are. Those are two different things. Focusing solely on the body and discussing it in this way (and causing lurkers to see it as well) is going to cause disordered thinking.

I agree. Which is why I never mentioned her body, only her health. Those are two different things.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Tialuna18 wrote: »
    She does apparently have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome which even with exercise causes her to gain rapid weight. :/

I've seen enough on MFP and in the success stories area to know that this is not an excuse to stay overweight.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I agree. Which is why I never mentioned her body, only her health. Those are two different things.

I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese.
    That is a direct quote from your post - that is a direct comment on her body.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    She has a tv show where she's trying to lose weight and she has a condition that makes it difficult to lose it so I think the debate ends there really
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Is she trying or is she losing? They're two different things.
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    I'm not her clinical weight loss expert
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    I was thinking maybe you'd watched the show since you mentioned it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    She has a tv show where she's trying to lose weight and she has a condition that makes it difficult to lose it so I think the debate ends there really

That almost sounds like incentive not to lose weight. What happens to the TV show if she loses all the weight?
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options

That almost sounds like incentive not to lose weight. What happens to the TV show if she loses all the weight?

Amen. The longer you're on tv the more money you get.
  • pie_eyes
    Options

The shows not going to last forever, they've never had a TV show of an overweight star successfully lose it though either as far as I know