• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Science or woo? That's a potentially condescending question. It's only woo if it never works for anyone. We're all different and what doesn't work for one person might work for the next. Unless it's dangerous (also a bit subjective), then people will just have to try it to find out.

I don't think anyone is saying that this program won't work. Any program of caloric restriction should result in weight loss. The question is whether the specific claims made for this product (that it is a "miracle," that it will work better than a cheaper whey protein shake, that it will "regulate digestion," etc) are backed up by any evidence.

The mental aspect of weight loss can be as if not more important than the physical aspect.

So are you saying the mental aspect outweighs the fact that there is little to support the claims on the website?

Do you think it is legitimate to describe this product as a "miracle"? Do you think it's right for a company to sell over-priced protein powder to people who are desperate to lose weight?

It's not my place to judge the ethics of a company. I don't even I know what the product is. But the mental aspect is a big one. If it's not dangerous, it remains on the table. It might not be the best choice but I'm not going to poopoo people potential tools.

If the OP asked what worked for me, I'd say eating at a deficit and but of exercise for added benefits. No program that cost me money would work for me personall becuase I'm notoriously cheap (hence eating less food and walking) but I cant say definitively what will and what won't work. I mean, every type of weight loss is statistically doomed to fail for the vast majority, doesn't mean I'll discourage people from making the effort. Heck, this product might be nothing but snake oil but there is a vast number of studies that support the existence of what is called the plecebo effect. I'm not going to argu against that sort of overwhelming science.

So you're saying there is nothing a company could say, write, or do that you would feel comfortable objecting to?

Tough to do when you're trying your hardest to be the most supportive person on the forums. I'm not and never will be but just the odds are against me for keeping the weight off, it won't stop me from trying.

I'm not understanding you. What, exactly, is tough to do?

Do you think being supportive extends to supporting any company that is attempting to profit off of people trying to lose weight? If this is what you're saying, I disagree. I think actual support of PEOPLE sometimes requires us to critique the companies that are attempting to profit off of them.

You misunderstand me. I'm supporting the person. Companies are just in it to make money and most aren't ethical enough to be straight forward. That would negatively impact their bottom line. I support the various ways that people seek to achieve their goals. This might be a part of one person's goal. I could provide some excellently done studies on the plecebo effect if that would be useful.

But I'm sorry, OP for entering into a derailment. I will stop now. Good luck with your goals, same to you janejellyroll!

So OP has asked if she should believe the claims made by this company. I think we can support the OP while pointing out the ways in which the company's claims don't make sense. In fact, I think a case can be made that giving the OP exactly what she's asking for (feedback on the claims) is more helpful than a generic "Well, it could be true for you, try it and find out!"
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Science or woo? That's a potentially condescending question. It's only woo if it never works for anyone. We're all different and what doesn't work for one person might work for the next. Unless it's dangerous (also a bit subjective), then people will just have to try it to find out.

I don't think anyone is saying that this program won't work. Any program of caloric restriction should result in weight loss. The question is whether the specific claims made for this product (that it is a "miracle," that it will work better than a cheaper whey protein shake, that it will "regulate digestion," etc) are backed up by any evidence.

The mental aspect of weight loss can be as if not more important than the physical aspect.

So are you saying the mental aspect outweighs the fact that there is little to support the claims on the website?

Do you think it is legitimate to describe this product as a "miracle"? Do you think it's right for a company to sell over-priced protein powder to people who are desperate to lose weight?

It's not my place to judge the ethics of a company. I don't even I know what the product is. But the mental aspect is a big one. If it's not dangerous, it remains on the table. It might not be the best choice but I'm not going to poopoo people potential tools.

If the OP asked what worked for me, I'd say eating at a deficit and but of exercise for added benefits. No program that cost me money would work for me personall becuase I'm notoriously cheap (hence eating less food and walking) but I cant say definitively what will and what won't work. I mean, every type of weight loss is statistically doomed to fail for the vast majority, doesn't mean I'll discourage people from making the effort. Heck, this product might be nothing but snake oil but there is a vast number of studies that support the existence of what is called the plecebo effect. I'm not going to argu against that sort of overwhelming science.

So you're saying there is nothing a company could say, write, or do that you would feel comfortable objecting to?

Tough to do when you're trying your hardest to be the most supportive person on the forums. I'm not and never will be but just the odds are against me for keeping the weight off, it won't stop me from trying.

I'm not understanding you. What, exactly, is tough to do?

Do you think being supportive extends to supporting any company that is attempting to profit off of people trying to lose weight? If this is what you're saying, I disagree. I think actual support of PEOPLE sometimes requires us to critique the companies that are attempting to profit off of them.

You misunderstand me. I'm supporting the person. Companies are just in it to make money and most aren't ethical enough to be straight forward. That would negatively impact their bottom line. I support the various ways that people seek to achieve their goals. This might be a part of one person's goal. I could provide some excellently done studies on the plecebo effect if that would be useful.

But I'm sorry, OP for entering into a derailment. I will stop now. Good luck with your goals, same to you janejellyroll!

How exactly is it supportive of a person to tell them, "Sure! Waste your money! It won't work in any meaningful way but hey, I SUPPORT you!" Blind support is not helpful. In addition, this OP did not say that they're taking this and want high fives for it, they specifically asked whether or not it was something useful. I'm afraid I just don't understand patting people on the head for literally anything rather than trying to give them factual information that might actually help them to achieve their goals.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It probably works. Anything that helps you cut your calories will work! You needn't pay for some specific product in order to cut your calories, though.

Personally, I prefer healthy food and watching my calories. There is no way I'd pay for powders or shakes...but I know people who drink the shakes and like to do things that way.

It's just a personal preference - how do you want to lose your weight?

But OP isn't asking if it will work as just as well as any calorie deficit plan. OP is specifically asking if it is a "miracle" and if the claims made for the product are based in science. That isn't personal preference. Just based on the claims on the website and what we currently know about weight loss, I think we can answer her question with a fair degree of confidence.
    I get it. You don't approve of my post or a few others here.

We all get that you don't like some of the posts. You've made that abundantly clear.

I don't like the shakes. I don't like companies promising detoxes, weight losses, big muscles, et cetera, whether it be in shake or pill or whatever form. But if people want to drink the shakes and the shakes help lead them to their goal, it doesn't hurt me.

Like I said, a friend of mine drinks the shakes. She asked my opinion and I gave it and she drinks them anyway. It didn't turn me into the Tasmanian Devil. We didn't have a big fight. We are still friends. And I continue to be interested in her weight loss. When I see her, I want to taste the shake. I'm confident that she will let me. :)

It isn't the end of the world if someone doesn't take you advice. It isn't the end of the world if they use shakes to lose weight.

It's just not that big a deal.

Whatever works!

But, again, I get that you disapprove of some of these posts. Noted.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    jenathp wrote: »
    I have two soon to be sister in laws who SWEAR by (and one of them sells in the pyramid scheme) Isagenix and the whole platform. Once has claimed MIRACLES in her life and they really want me to 'get on board' and "believe in the miracles".

I've done SOME research but it's hard to find anything real since it's so heavily marketed by the pyramid scheme people...

So, what's the consensus Woo or Science?
    Any program out there can be successful if someone uses it as directed. The thing is ALL of the programs rely on calorie deficit to lose weight. They will all state "with proper diet and exercise" as the de facto statement to assure that people won't claim against them.
    In short, there is nothing special about any meal replacement, supplement, etc. for weight loss because it still boils down to CICO for weight gain/loss/maintenance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My husband's boss is totally hooked on isagenix and lost quite a bit of weight using it, however the immense amount of misinformation he peddles is horrifying! He's told my husband our children are malnourished because we don't buy organic. He labels foods "good" and "bad" and will put himself on a three day cleanse if he feels he's eaten poorly.

His whole relationship with food is just crazy.

So, scamwoo as stated above, lol.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    My husband's boss is totally hooked on isagenix and lost quite a bit of weight using it, however the immense amount of misinformation he peddles is horrifying! He's told my husband our children are malnourished because we don't buy organic. He labels foods "good" and "bad" and will put himself on a three day cleanse if he feels he's eaten poorly.

I have a friend who does the isagenix shakes and these weird cleanses. I told her once and only once that your body does the cleansing for you naturally and weight loss from the shakes come from a calorie deficit that she can achieve by just watching her food intake. She said "no - this is the only thing that works for me". She actually passed out in her bathroom and bit her head on the side of her bathtub while on one of these 'cleanses'.

• jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I have a friend who does the isagenix shakes and these weird cleanses. I told her once and only once that your body does the cleansing for you naturally and weight loss from the shakes come from a calorie deficit that she can achieve by just watching her food intake. She said "no - this is the only thing that works for me". She actually passed out in her bathroom and bit her head on the side of her bathtub while on one of these 'cleanses'.
    See that's the stuff I worry about ... people passing out or become obsessive over these things...it makes me wonder what is in them that turns people into crazed fanatics. :/

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Is she okay?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »

Is she okay?

She was ok...but the scary part is that she's a single mom and was home alone with her 10 year old daughter.

When I told her that maybe she passed out because of the cleanses she was like "well the doctor didn't say anything and couldn't find any reason why I passed out". Her doctor appointment was a few days after the 'incident' so I'm guessing by then her blood sugar or whatever was probably back to normal.

She still insists on doing the weird cleanses and the shakes. She was totally 'wooed'.

ETA: Any weight she's lost doing this craziness has never stayed off.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    bmaw01 wrote: »
    Lol, Isagenix is not a pyramid scheme. It's called network marketing

That's like saying "a BMW is not a car...it's called an automobile"

But it's not a car... it's a vehicular status symbol :D
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

My husband's boss has also passed out during a cleanse.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    It's quite expensive...a friend of mine did it and lost quite a bit of weight which she has kept off to this day, she now only uses some of their 'energy' products and eats standard food..thankfully she wasn't interested in trying to sell to her friends and family.

Like any weight loss tool it works if you work it, but its a pretty expensive tool and looks like people can get caught up easily in the hype. I would say there are much cheaper ways to lose weight and regain health.

I have someone in my office who is using it, she uses work time to try and flog it, I can hear her on the phone telling people that she is only mentioning it to them because she cares about their health.
  • wowserblue
    wowserblue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used Isagenix about ten years ago and lowered my cholesterol about 50 points at a time when my doctor had been about to put me on cholesterol medication. I did not lose a significant amount of weight but I was purchasing their maintenance pack at the time and doing the one day cleanse every week, never could do 2 days. So my experience was that the program does haves some health benefits.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

This seems to be the biggest problem with people who do cleanses and very unhealthy intake levels "just for a few days". Everyone seems to be okay with it because it's just a few days. But, what if your friend wasn't ok? What if her ten year old found her dead in the bathroom? Or what if she had been driving? Or standing on the top of some stairs?

And how is any of that an acceptable risk just to lose weight faster or because someone said it will remove "toxins" from you?

/rant
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

This seems to be the biggest problem with people who do cleanses and very unhealthy intake levels "just for a few days". Everyone seems to be okay with it because it's just a few days. But, what if your friend wasn't ok? What if her ten year old found her dead in the bathroom? Or what if she had been driving? Or standing on the top of some stairs?

And how is any of that an acceptable risk just to lose weight faster or because someone said it will remove "toxins" from you?

/rant

That's what I tried to explain to her. But some people just don't want to listen to reason and would rather look for a 'quick fix' to lose weight.

• jamiemerc7
    jamiemerc7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bmaw01 wrote: »
    Lol, Isagenix is not a pyramid scheme. It's called network marketing. When I lived in Thailand I met a few guys in their thirties who made their fortune from network marketing.

Now, does it work? IMO, a diet rich in vegetables, fruits and lean meats is a better choice. Want to get rid of toxins? Go on a juice cleanse instead. Most of this stuff hasn't even been tested yet. We don't know the long-term effects yet, or if it even works or not.

• jamiemerc7
    jamiemerc7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Actually unless you've tried the product I'm not sure how you can judge it. I've been on it since August Have lost 20 pounds and feel the best I have ever felt. It is easy and convenient to use and the company uses a third party vendor to validate the contents of the shakes vitamins and products being consumed.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Three posts and two of them are to necro a dormant isogenix thread. Not a shill, no not at all.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Three posts and two of them are to necro a dormant isogenix thread. Not a shill, no not at all.

Wink wink
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jamiemerc7 wrote: »
    Actually unless you've tried the product I'm not sure how you can judge it. I've been on it since August Have lost 20 pounds and feel the best I have ever felt. It is easy and convenient to use and the company uses a third party vendor to validate the contents of the shakes vitamins and products being consumed.

I have never tried cocaine but it doesnt mean i dont understand the effects.

Btw, how many calories are you eating on that plan? My friends was 900 to 1000 and the lack of quality nutrition put her in the hospital.