Medical Conditions Which Affect Weight: Separating Fact From Fiction

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My chosen (admittedly radical) treatment for T2 diabetes and obesity was bariatric surgery. The surgery took care of both conditions. T2 is greatly relieved by getting weight closer to normal range. So does one always treat the underlying condition first, or can it be helped by weight loss?

Weight loss is the first recommendation for high blood pressure, T2 diabetes and high cholesterol. People needing knee surgery are often asked to lose weight to reduce risk and improve recovery.

Isn't there a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario going on here?

Now, I believe people with metabolic conditions should check with their doctor before embarking on an elimination diet especially. Diabetics for instance are sensitive to the timing and types of foods they eat. Mess around with that too much and they can get very, very sick. I lost an uncle who went on a fad diet after a T2 diabetes diagnosis, from a stroke. He strayed too far from conventional advice and it killed him.

I always, always wonder about that chicken and egg thing in all of these discussions, because honestly? Simply losing weight has a positive impact on so many medical conditions (including IR!). A lot of the back and forth is silly.

I started out on this path for medical reasons myself. PsA has me wanting to get pressure off my joints. I wish my knees would get the message that I've lost 70 pounds and stop bothering me so much!

I'm the only other one who mentioned the chicken and egg, so I take it it was my thoughts on it that were silly.

I'm sorry, but me wondering a terrible lot about my weight connected to my glucose levels wouldn't do a bit of good, since I'm not overweight at all. It's not chicken and egg with me. You asked people to share their own stories.

It's not silly for me to not try to lose weight to help it and to not suspect that it was the year or two at a higher BMI that caused it for me. I won't gain weight now, certainly, but I don't have to give a flying fig about anything that causes my BG problems except what does cause them.

No, I think you have what I meant all wrong here.

It's silly to argue the particulars of losing weight when simply losing weight will affect certain medical conditions. In other words... it's not HOW you lose weight that impacts the conditions, it's simply THAT you lose weight that does it. That's what I think the back and forth about on the forums is silly.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My chosen (admittedly radical) treatment for T2 diabetes and obesity was bariatric surgery. The surgery took care of both conditions. T2 is greatly relieved by getting weight closer to normal range. So does one always treat the underlying condition first, or can it be helped by weight loss?

Weight loss is the first recommendation for high blood pressure, T2 diabetes and high cholesterol. People needing knee surgery are often asked to lose weight to reduce risk and improve recovery.

Isn't there a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario going on here?

Now, I believe people with metabolic conditions should check with their doctor before embarking on an elimination diet especially. Diabetics for instance are sensitive to the timing and types of foods they eat. Mess around with that too much and they can get very, very sick. I lost an uncle who went on a fad diet after a T2 diabetes diagnosis, from a stroke. He strayed too far from conventional advice and it killed him.

I always, always wonder about that chicken and egg thing in all of these discussions, because honestly? Simply losing weight has a positive impact on so many medical conditions (including IR!). A lot of the back and forth is silly.

I started out on this path for medical reasons myself. PsA has me wanting to get pressure off my joints. I wish my knees would get the message that I've lost 70 pounds and stop bothering me so much!

I'm the only other one who mentioned the chicken and egg, so I take it it was my thoughts on it that were silly.

I'm sorry, but me wondering a terrible lot about my weight connected to my glucose levels wouldn't do a bit of good, since I'm not overweight at all. It's not chicken and egg with me. You asked people to share their own stories.

It's not silly for me to not try to lose weight to help it and to not suspect that it was the year or two at a higher BMI that caused it for me. I won't gain weight now, certainly, but I don't have to give a flying fig about anything that causes my BG problems except what does cause them.

No, I think you have what I meant all wrong here.

It's silly to argue the particulars of losing weight when simply losing weight will affect certain medical conditions. In other words... it's now HOW you lose weight that impacts the conditions, it's simply THAT you lose weight that does it. That's what I think the back and forth about on the forums is silly.

Oh, well that makes sense. I did misunderstand.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    "As soon as I got the pills, I started losing."

Which is why people keep saying when your medical issues are under control.

Some people don't have their problems under control.

Some people have problems that have yet to be explained, medically. It doesn't mean that they don't exist. It just means that nobody has figured it out yet.

They will continue to learn new things. Once upon a time, people with thyroid issues didn't have Synthroid. Nobody knew what their problem was. They'd have been deemed as lazy by some people because nobody knew about thyroids.

New things are learned all the time.

Since we are not a group of doctors with a bunch of specialties and since we know there is a LOT left to learn about bodies that nobody knows, maybe we should hold off on determining what someone else's problem is.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I understand that conditions don't directly affect significant weight gain, but a lot of conditions disrupt hormones and disrupt normal regulation of your body. As some of you have stated this can lead to increased appetite. It is not really fair in my opinion to say it is only about CICO. When your appetite is increased and you don't feel good unless you satisfy your appetite, then you have to admit that you are at a disadvantage and your quality of life is greatly diminished than compared to people who can maintain their weight without their body fighting against them.
    I went from being skinny with normal eating habits to randomly developing endocrine problems which THEN led to my weight gain. I know the difference of having a normal appetite vs what happens with endocrine problems. It isn't just a "control your appetite" thing, I would literally feel not good if I didn't eat more.

I don't think anyone is saying that it is. I also don't think anyone who has endocrine problems leaves them untreated. When you have symptoms like that, isn't it time to see a doctor?

An untreated medical condition is a cause for medical intervention. However, once it's under control?

Let's discuss that a bit more. What medical condition, once correctly treated, do any of you with good medical knowledge know of that affects weight loss?
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I understand that conditions don't directly affect significant weight gain, but a lot of conditions disrupt hormones and disrupt normal regulation of your body. As some of you have stated this can lead to increased appetite. It is not really fair in my opinion to say it is only about CICO. When your appetite is increased and you don't feel good unless you satisfy your appetite, then you have to admit that you are at a disadvantage and your quality of life is greatly diminished than compared to people who can maintain their weight without their body fighting against them.
    I went from being skinny with normal eating habits to randomly developing endocrine problems which THEN led to my weight gain. I know the difference of having a normal appetite vs what happens with endocrine problems. It isn't just a "control your appetite" thing, I would literally feel not good if I didn't eat more.

I don't think anyone is saying that it is. I also don't think anyone who has endocrine problems leaves them untreated. When you have symptoms like that, isn't it time to see a doctor?

An untreated medical condition is a cause for medical intervention. However, once it's under control?

Let's discuss that a bit more. What medical condition, once correctly treated, do any of you with good medical knowledge know of that affects weight loss?
    We don't have medical knowledge. We don't have medical experience.

Well, maybe someone does. If someone is a doctor, please speak up.

Otherwise, we cannot speak from a medical perspective. I realize it seems a little picky to point out. It's a really fine line. But a distinction should be made.

Doctors have medical opinions. We do not.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    You don't know that hypothyroidism only counts for a minor weight gain. It can - and has - led to some major weight gain.

That slowed metabolism doesn't just make you gain a little more. It also depletes you of energy. Guess what your body craves when it has no energy? Yup! Food. So, if you want to move about, you need more food to give you energy. It also makes you tired - so tired. And constipated. And light-headed, especially if you're running on less food than "a lot of food." There are many other things, too.

Nobody likes to be starving and dizzy. People need to be able to go about their days. So, they eat. They eat "out of a deficit" so that they can go to work and go about their lives. And the pounds pack on.

In extreme cases, it can affect your breathing. It did mine! Although eating gets harder to do and you might take a little break while you have food, you need more food than ever.

There are a whole lot of medical conditions that affect different people in different ways. Even doctors don't understand them all and have to specialize. Some have yet to be understood by anyone. So, you're not going to figure them all out in a thread, online.

It might be best for us all to have the humility to remember that other people have issues that we cannot understand and leave it at that.

The hypothyroidism is not what leads to major weight gain. Making the decision to eat more when you have symptoms like dizziness, lack of energy, etc, is a conscious one. It is what the person did rather than, going to the doctor with that list of symptoms and determining the cause and then getting the medical condition causing them under control.

While it is true that people do have issues they might not understand, sometimes connecting in an online forum with other people who do understand them can help them in the journey. That's a much better, and much more supportive thing to do than just 'leaving it at that' when people are seeking help and answers.
    You're wrong.

You make assumptions that are wrong and they lead you to conclusions that are wrong. So, lots and lots of wrongness in that post.

If you don't wish to have the humility to admit that people have problems you don't understand, that is your choice. It's not a bad suggestion, though.

Seriously this post doesn't deserve five abuse flags.

Again and again though its the same people debating (arguing) the same thing over and over again. I don't mind a good debate a lot can be gained from them, however, a lot of what we are seeing is no longer good debating its just baiting, attacking other opinions and pedantic. A lot the science offered generally is biased to one's one opinion and more often than not there is always counter science, however, from both sides this too is attacked.

From someone who regularly lurks on these contentious topics, my opinion is that one of the things that brings the boards down..is what this thread and others like become...its not the topics, its those things I mentioned above...baiting, attacking etc. A lot of people happily stay away from threads like these knowing full well what the outcome is going to be, and any valid posts from others are generally overlooked in favour of further baiting etc of the regulars who participate in these type of threads.

None of this is baiting, trust me.

This thread came about as a result of me closing in on my one year anniversary on MFP (2 or 3 more days, I think). I originally started gaining a lot of weight (more than I ever used to carry) and blamed it on a medical condition which was just finally diagnosed correctly after 11 years.

I've learned a lot in that time, and I no longer blame that condition. In fact, it was that very diagnosis which led me to start making the changes I needed to lose all the weight I gained PLUS the extra weight I'd always carried around before then.

It gave me the idea for this thread. I knew I wasn't the only one who blamed something medical for her weight. Coming to understand the mechanism of how my diseases actually work and what is really going on with my body has been very helpful for me.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    "As soon as I got the pills, I started losing."

Which is why people keep saying when your medical issues are under control.

Some people don't have their problems under control.

Some people have problems that have yet to be explained, medically. It doesn't mean that they don't exist. It just means that nobody has figured it out yet.

They will continue to learn new things. Once upon a time, people with thyroid issues didn't have Synthroid. Nobody knew what their problem was. They'd have been deemed as lazy by some people because nobody knew about thyroids.

New things are learned all the time.

Since we are not a group of doctors with a bunch of specialties and since we know there is a LOT left to learn about bodies that nobody knows, maybe we should hold off on determining what someone else's problem is.

@peachycarol
    Exactly my issue. I know for sure I have a problem with sugar or insulin. I feel like my body has some problem processing sugar correctly. But I am yet to be diagnosed. I went from being diagnosed with PCOS to having the diagnose removed, to then being re diagnosed. It is not so much my appetite being affected, but if I don't eat how my body wants to eat then I don't have energy, feel light headed, etc. I know there is some issue there, maybe it is not severe enough for a diagnosis, but something is making my weight loss difficult.
  • saintwreck
    saintwreck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I noticed the vast majority of contributors have had over a thousand posts... yo'all likely know what those initials mean... CICO is one I don't. Oh for what it's worth I'm type 2 diabetic... that's why I landed here
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    You don't know that hypothyroidism only counts for a minor weight gain. It can - and has - led to some major weight gain.

That slowed metabolism doesn't just make you gain a little more. It also depletes you of energy. Guess what your body craves when it has no energy? Yup! Food. So, if you want to move about, you need more food to give you energy. It also makes you tired - so tired. And constipated. And light-headed, especially if you're running on less food than "a lot of food." There are many other things, too.

Nobody likes to be starving and dizzy. People need to be able to go about their days. So, they eat. They eat "out of a deficit" so that they can go to work and go about their lives. And the pounds pack on.

In extreme cases, it can affect your breathing. It did mine! Although eating gets harder to do and you might take a little break while you have food, you need more food than ever.

There are a whole lot of medical conditions that affect different people in different ways. Even doctors don't understand them all and have to specialize. Some have yet to be understood by anyone. So, you're not going to figure them all out in a thread, online.

It might be best for us all to have the humility to remember that other people have issues that we cannot understand and leave it at that.

The hypothyroidism is not what leads to major weight gain. Making the decision to eat more when you have symptoms like dizziness, lack of energy, etc, is a conscious one. It is what the person did rather than, going to the doctor with that list of symptoms and determining the cause and then getting the medical condition causing them under control.

While it is true that people do have issues they might not understand, sometimes connecting in an online forum with other people who do understand them can help them in the journey. That's a much better, and much more supportive thing to do than just 'leaving it at that' when people are seeking help and answers.
    You're wrong.

You make assumptions that are wrong and they lead you to conclusions that are wrong. So, lots and lots of wrongness in that post.

If you don't wish to have the humility to admit that people have problems you don't understand, that is your choice. It's not a bad suggestion, though.

Seriously this post doesn't deserve five abuse flags.

Again and again though its the same people debating (arguing) the same thing over and over again. I don't mind a good debate a lot can be gained from them, however, a lot of what we are seeing is no longer good debating its just baiting, attacking other opinions and pedantic. A lot the science offered generally is biased to one's one opinion and more often than not there is always counter science, however, from both sides this too is attacked.

From someone who regularly lurks on these contentious topics, my opinion is that one of the things that brings the boards down..is what this thread and others like become...its not the topics, its those things I mentioned above...baiting, attacking etc. A lot of people happily stay away from threads like these knowing full well what the outcome is going to be, and any valid posts from others are generally overlooked in favour of further baiting etc of the regulars who participate in these type of threads.

None of this is baiting, trust me.

This thread came about as a result of me closing in on my one year anniversary on MFP (2 or 3 more days, I think). I originally started gaining a lot of weight (more than I ever used to carry) and blamed it on a medical condition which was just finally diagnosed correctly after 11 years.

I've learned a lot in that time, and I no longer blame that condition. In fact, it was that very diagnosis which led me to start making the changes I needed to lose all the weight I gained PLUS the extra weight I'd always carried around before then.

It gave me the idea for this thread. I knew I wasn't the only one who blamed something medical for her weight. Coming to understand the mechanism of how my diseases actually work and what is really going on with my body has been very helpful for me.

This is true, now that I have a little bit more of an understanding of how my body reacts to sugar and how to keep my energy stable through out the day, I am able to monitor my eating habits a little better. But this was difficult to figure out and I am sure for many with other health conditions it took time to figure out what works for them. For some it really is only about self control and CICO, but for others there are some factors fighting against us.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The first chronic condition I had that needed medication was anxiety based depression with PTSD. The disorders gave me the desire to gain weight. I began therapy which I continued for the better part of two decades. The medications for those psychological disordered had a side effect of insomnia, enter next medication. The weight gain and genetic predisposition added the third medication for cholesterol. Enter uterine cancer which led to removal of those female hormone producing ovaries, putting me into instant menopause in my early forties. The hormone shift complicated the psychological disorders, life complications added tons of stress and more over eating, less activity. At this point I was constantly, on some level suicidal. I stopped wearing seat belts and eat what ever I wanted because on some level, I wanted to die. In my late 40's I had 3 strokes, introduce two or more medications, one or two for high blood pressure and a variety of blood thinners. Immediately following the strokes I was paralyzed on my right side, I recovered most of the function. But being obese complicated my continued recovery of function, which complicated psychological disorders. I had to have my gallbladder removed. I also had carpel tunnel, sleep apnea, acid re-flux and a vitamin D deficiency. I was taking 6 prescription medications(4 of which had increased in dosage at least once since first prescribed) and two supplements daily to treat all my conditions. In March of this year, I was diagnosed with diabetes, and faced the prospect of taking yet another medication. My GP was concerned with all the medication I was taking and adding another. He challenged me to lose 20% of my body weight and see if that would eliminate the need for an added medication. I reached that goal in September and have kept going. I not only got my A1C down to normal range, thus avoiding the need for another medication, I got the go ahead to decrease the blood pressure medicine by half in July. Just last week my Doctor recommended I stop the cholesterol medication. I lost the weight by decreasing my CI and increasing CO. Despite having numerous chronic medical issues requiring medications, age, and menopause, my CI-CO=weight change with over 95% accuracy. To hear all the experts, I am an outlier, by having incredibly averagely predictable weight loss.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    saintwreck wrote: »
    I noticed the vast majority of contributors have had over a thousand posts... yo'all likely know what those initials mean... CICO is one I don't. Oh for what it's worth I'm type 2 diabetic... that's why I landed here

CICO = calories in/calories out, or the basic equation for losing weight.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Wow.....I had SO much hope for this thread.

It is great that @PeachyCarol and other contributors with medical issues on MFP have the chance to talk about their experiences with various medical conditions. So here's my story.

My experience with illness is quite varied....in 1997 weighing in at 126 kgs I had an accident which led to the development of RSD a chronic pain illness.....(my highest weight was achieved prior to this, starting in 1991 with a combination of anti-psychotics/anti-depressants and no idea about CI-CO - I became a walking carb eating machine and I was miserable).

The pain caused by the RSD was not helped by surgery or mahoosive amounts of opiates prescribed.... so I started walking....pain lessened, stopped the mental health meds. that I had wrongly been prescribed (this is my experience) and went very deeply, for years into counselling. Kept losing weight......

I hovered around the overweight mark for a LONG time.....changed my eating patterns and found that I had ulcerative colitis that was helped with dropping gluten....more weight gone due to lower calories.

Fast forward to 2010 I was within spitting distance of where I wanted to be weight wise....I had continued to walk extensively and then added in harder walks out in the bush etc.

Joined MFP 2011 - Ah ha enlightenment and goal weight. Damn 2011 to very early 2013 we pretty good - my pain was reasonably stable and so was my weight approx 55 kgs.

By Christmas 2012 I noticed my fatigue levels were increasing and my weight was rapidly decreasing.....

I thought that I 'needed' to harden up, walk more (8 hours anyone ;) ) and add in more challenging exercise....didn't help, upped the calories, changed the macro's etc etc. My blood work started coming back wrong.....I eventually found out I had Lupus and looking back blood tests showed positive markers 3 years previously and it wasn't followed up....That sucked.

OK - so now at my lowest weight I was 47 kgs at 5' 5". I faced steroids and plenty of them, Plaquenil and Oh we might throw in some drugs that are basically low dose Chemo' to see if that helps....

Straight away I put on around 3 kgs I think water weight....I was terribly worried that I would 'Blossom' again due to all the hype around steroids but I have stayed very mindful and kept logging religiously and that weight gain didn't occur. I still take a mod. does of steroid, Plaquenil and now 2500 mg Mycophenolate (immune suppressant).....all these are reported to increase weight.

The struggles are very real though with weight fluctuations (fluid retention, ascites and of course flare-ups)..... trying to figure out what is the 'best' way of eating, keeping strong and in best form is difficult for someone like me but not impossible. Nothing is impossible.

I have multiple sensitivities and the Lupus and extra burden of the vasculitis issues causing severe migraines for one have been a trial.....sadly, the fatigue is a killer and I am VERY UV sensitive.....without my walking I was lost for a long time and spent many inactive hours and days to the point where I have ended up with osteoporosis and broke my back last year. This happened SO quickly.....I am very thankful that I still kept up with my form of strength training on my better days.....otherwise the outcome...well it's not pretty.

Now my focus is on continuing strength training, I work with an exercise physiologist and have a personalised programme that I do religiously....it helps both mentally and physically. I meditate and this helps me with my stress levels and the rotten insomnia.

TL:DR.....Illness sucks. Everyone is different and has their own version of sucky. In the end though you need to deal with it. Come to terms with it, learn to embrace it, own it and make it your B!TCH.....seriously.

Learn to nurture yourself but don't lie to yourself either. Draw the line between your personal responsibility to your own best health and where your illness and its effects upon you come into play..... work against the odds of your condition.....try never to give in, it certainly OK and natural to feel like IDGAF everyone does....but you really need to learn the skill of regrouping and starting over..... eat well, eat appropriately and NEVER give up on finding your sweet spot.

All the best to everyone.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Otherwise, we cannot speak from a medical perspective. I realize it seems a little picky to point out. It's a really fine line. But a distinction should be made.

There are people in the medical profession on this forum. Posting in this thread, even.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Great thread carol !

I have nothing to add as far as medical conditions but would like to mention prescription medicine .

When I was first starting out, I went to the doctor and said " my depo birth control shot is causing me not to lose weight !"

He said, that's actually a myth. Google the words" birth control and weight gain" , you'll see thousands saying the same thing but its only because that's how misunderstood people are. He explained that it can cause an increased appetite , thus causing people to eat at a surplus and gain weight. But people like to leave out the surplus part and go straight to the weight gain part . if you ask 100 girls did they gain weight on depo, 75 will say yes and zero will admit to overeating. So that's how the " weight gain from depo " thing goes.

It came down to calories. Not the shot . once I truly was ready to give up the excuses, I was able to lose weight.

There Will always be people who enjoy having an excuse. They really don't want it. I was once one of those people so I know all about it.

Its often very hard for people to let go off the myths and excuses. Weight loss will always come down to calories . some will have to work a little harder then others but it still comes down to calories .

So if the depo pill is not supposed to be blamed even though it MAY cause an increase in appetite???
    I was breastfeeding yet I blew up like crazy even more than my pregnancy weight.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Great thread carol !

I have nothing to add as far as medical conditions but would like to mention prescription medicine .

When I was first starting out, I went to the doctor and said " my depo birth control shot is causing me not to lose weight !"

He said, that's actually a myth. Google the words" birth control and weight gain" , you'll see thousands saying the same thing but its only because that's how misunderstood people are. He explained that it can cause an increased appetite , thus causing people to eat at a surplus and gain weight. But people like to leave out the surplus part and go straight to the weight gain part . if you ask 100 girls did they gain weight on depo, 75 will say yes and zero will admit to overeating. So that's how the " weight gain from depo " thing goes.

It came down to calories. Not the shot . once I truly was ready to give up the excuses, I was able to lose weight.

There Will always be people who enjoy having an excuse. They really don't want it. I was once one of those people so I know all about it.

Its often very hard for people to let go off the myths and excuses. Weight loss will always come down to calories . some will have to work a little harder then others but it still comes down to calories .

So if the depo pill is not supposed to be blamed even though it MAY cause an increase in appetite???
    I was breastfeeding yet I blew up like crazy even more than my pregnancy weight.

What she's saying is that the depo itself did not cause the gain. The relationship is indirect: depo can cause increase in appetite which causes one to overeat. The overeating is not the fault of the medication but rather the person who didn't control the appetite.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

There are people in the medical profession on this forum. Posting in this thread, even.

But their expertise is immediately discounted. because they don't have the "md" after their name. Which is sad.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Great thread carol !

Breastfeeding is no guarantee for weight loss. Myself and many other women did not drop weight while nursing.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    saintwreck wrote: »

You poor soul. :)

CICO means "calories in, calories out." It is just an abbreviation that means that calories have a direct impact on your weight. If you want to gain, lose or maintain your weight, CICO applies to the process.

Frequently, people use it to mean "weight loss." You can get how it's being used from context, now that you know the phrase.

WOE - "way of eating."

WLS - "weight loss surgery"

That's all I can remember.

We really should type things like that out once a thread, lol. It's unfair to newbies.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    The first chronic condition I had that needed medication was anxiety based depression with PTSD. The disorders gave me the desire to gain weight. I began therapy which I continued for the better part of two decades. The medications for those psychological disordered had a side effect of insomnia, enter next medication. The weight gain and genetic predisposition added the third medication for cholesterol. Enter uterine cancer which led to removal of those female hormone producing ovaries, putting me into instant menopause in my early forties. The hormone shift complicated the psychological disorders, life complications added tons of stress and more over eating, less activity. At this point I was constantly, on some level suicidal. I stopped wearing seat belts and eat what ever I wanted because on some level, I wanted to die. In my late 40's I had 3 strokes, introduce two or more medications, one or two for high blood pressure and a variety of blood thinners. Immediately following the strokes I was paralyzed on my right side, I recovered most of the function. But being obese complicated my continued recovery of function, which complicated psychological disorders. I had to have my gallbladder removed. I also had carpel tunnel, sleep apnea, acid re-flux and a vitamin D deficiency. I was taking 6 prescription medications(4 of which had increased in dosage at least once since first prescribed) and two supplements daily to treat all my conditions. In March of this year, I was diagnosed with diabetes, and faced the prospect of taking yet another medication. My GP was concerned with all the medication I was taking and adding another. He challenged me to lose 20% of my body weight and see if that would eliminate the need for an added medication. I reached that goal in September and have kept going. I not only got my A1C down to normal range, thus avoiding the need for another medication, I got the go ahead to decrease the blood pressure medicine by half in July. Just last week my Doctor recommended I stop the cholesterol medication. I lost the weight by decreasing my CI and increasing CO. Despite having numerous chronic medical issues requiring medications, age, and menopause, my CI-CO=weight change with over 95% accuracy. To hear all the experts, I am an outlier, by having incredibly averagely predictable weight loss.

Amazing. What you've survived and been through! Thanks for sharing.