WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Dr. Katiebug - PLEASE PLEASE come to my house and organize!!! I have a brand new bed you can sleep on - it is a Serta ...and very nice!!!

The massage was great - Then off to the city to search out a new mattress. And .....Yup then home and of course we had to take out old bed - vacuum - wash sheets - move the old bed downstairs - set up the new bed - vacuum the whole house because the grandkids are coming Saturday afternoon...... I am tired.... and not sure if the massage did any good at all..... neck and shoulders hurting....

I sure hope the grandkids come with coats, toques, boots and mittens....because I need to get outside!!! It is supposed to be +8 this afternoon and sunshine. And for us that is a heat wave for this time of the year.

Hugs to all !!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, love the potato sack story. I pray for you and your son and family. What y'all are going through makes most of our problems seem so petty.

Pip, glad Kirby is progressing so well. He looks really beaten up. Did the person who hit him stop? What will happen about that. Hope it all works out.

Lenora, is there any way you can turn off the texting feature or block your DIL's texts to you? I know you said you stayed off of Facebook for that reason. Social Media seems to be the cause of many problems today. The only thing I do on Facebook is put up my GK's pictures and message my Sis to let her know what's going on with Mom. No "hate" talk at all. The people I know do not use that as a way to air their dirty laundry.

When I see what all you folks are into on a daily basis it makes me wonder what I'm missing. As Kim so well said, there is a host of talent among the people in this community. I have never been into social activities and do not know what I can contribute except to support and admire you who do so much.

Becca, your singing must make you so happy. What a gift you have that makes you and others enjoy their surroundings.

Lisa, I have finally gotten into the "good" part of This Little Pig and am eager to see how it progresses. Kudos to you.

My Pom just poked a hole in the screen porch door. He was so excited to bark at someone walking down the road that runs beside our house that he was pounding on the screen with all his might. The front of our house is on a main street with sidewalks. The side has a "country" road that leads back to a farm like setting where people board their horses. Many people in the neighborhood walk their dogs down this road and it keep the Pom busy.

I wanted to add a picture of my eBay/Office/Etsy room to show what a mess I have but can't figure out how to do it.This may be seen as an attachment. Boy, is it a mess. Dr. Katie, HELP!

85q4oacmyvht.jpg
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    DJ, hope you have fun modeling. Can you show us some pics? Would love to see.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,594 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps

Yesterday when I was giving Kirby a shower, my mind went back to when I was giving my late husband a shower in the last weeks of his life. I started tearing up having to e put in this situation again. Right now as the lights are lit very low and he lies in bed, sleeping peacefully it's hard not to think back. Give your loved one a hug, as I Ave learned on more than one occasion, u never know when u will see that or have them in your life again. I got lucky.... this time.....
  • tallee
    tallee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    New to MFP over 50 and current WW member. The new 'look and feel' WW has just rolled out for their 'etools' is just a mess. It's still in the beta version so more changes to come? Well, let's just say I attribute my success to a great meeting leader and the weigh ins that hold me accountable. I look forward to using MFP and so far am loving the community message boards and blogs. Feel free to add me!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of what is called Ultimate Weight Training and Cardio Workout DVD. Really, there's A LOT of yoga, it's really mostly yoga. But that's OK. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow, probably incline intervals

Lenora - I hear ya about the overload of magazines. When my kids had a fundraiser, I'd only get the things that I really needed and then made a donation to the school. In actuality, by doing this the school gets more money. With almost every fundraiser, they only get a certain percentage of the money. By making a straight donation, the school gets 100% of the money. Plus, I don't have things that I really don't want.

I'm certainly open to suggestions for healthy Thanksgiving recipes, too.

Mary - I made a pie one time and I not only put an "x" on the top of the pie but also made slits (probably about 6) further down. The top crust STILL did not lie flat after baking. I was thinking that perhaps the reason it didn't lie flat was because I didn't make enough holes for the steam so I put extra ones in.

Gloria - LOVE your animation

Barbie - what floor in the hotel are you on? If it's something like the 24th, I can certainly see you taking the stairs.....

tallee - welcome

Going to get
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,740 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies,
    I am at work until noon the upstairs for our massage. Don't know if Tom remembered but texted him and told him I would be home around 1:30.
    I am sure he will whine about me going for a massage ..to bad...
    Pip -I can't even fathom having a dejavu moment like that..you are on fierce woman...you and Kirby are made for each other and because you are both in tip top physical condition, I'm sure that will speed up the healing process..
    Wish I lived closer you know I would take care of the furbabies for you...
    Sylvia- hopping things work out for your son,it must be horrible for you to see him struggling.....
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by for a sec. This quote was on my daily affirmations yesterday and I thought I was worth sharing. mlyxnqyf403s.jpg
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    TerriRichard - I think it is jealousy - she made the comment that she did not need for us (or anybody) to comment about her weight (or that of the girls) because she got up every morning and looked in the mirror and could see how fat she has gotten. I really wanted to respond ... 'well, you are the only one who can change that'; but, that would only make her blame me for any additional weight she puts on. The first thing she says to DYS when he has come home is ... "I'm bigger!" Maybe because she 'thinks' he looks at her and is 'thinking' this.

Peach1948 - the emails are coming directly to my 'snail email account' ... I am NOT on FB; mainly because of the 'drama' that hit me in the face whenever I went to check it. I tried to open another account to make friends with only my former HS friends and 2 sisters; and was planning to delete the first account after I did; however, they somehow 'caught' this and locked me out of both assuming someone other than me had opened the account. When I tried to get back on, they told me I'd either have to submit 2 forms of 'governmental issued ID' or a couple of bills with my name on them. First off: the only 2 'government issued ID' that I can think of - is CERTAINLY not something I give to anyone, certainly not mail it to someone. I don't think they need to have any copies of my bills either - so I took this as a 'sign from God' that I really did NOT need to be on FB and that is the best thing that ever happen. I have not missed it and don't have to see the family drama streaming across the page.

Exermom - To 'encourage' the kids to sell as many magazines - they are awarded prizes for doing so. I still would rather write a check donating to the school. It's the same thing when 'raffle tickets' are sold; but, that also has the incentive for a prize. I think the worst is the bake sales or the cakewalk at the Fall Festival when you know how much $$$ you have investing in making the cake and somebody wins it with only 4 or 5 people on the cakewalk and the tickets prices has just a 1/3rd of what has been spent. I'd rather buy a cake and donate it for the cake walk. Problem is ... I am NOT a baker of sweets in the first place. If my DH wants something sweet he will pick up donuts or whatever for himself.

PIP - good to see Kirby standing up - it could have been so much worse ... bikers/bicyclists even with pads, helmet, and heavy clothing are never protected enough to tangle with a 1 ton car or anything larger.

I did not 'respond' to the nasty email; but, I did send an email that had a 'story' in it - basically of a 'grumpy' old man being given a scraggly dog to be responsible for. She probably won't get the underlying moral of the story; but, it was meant to show that you have to 'take responsibility' of something in your life and not run away from it - even if another family members 'gives it to you' (or if it is somehow forced on you). This can be anything from 'holding your tongue', 'not sending something in anger to others', or 'doing something about weight'. She is the only one who can make any changes or progress and if she doesn't do so there are consequences to it, good, bad, or indifferent. The ONLY person who can make her 'happy' is herself. She needs to stop blaming others when things don't go the way she thinks they should. My other DDnL sent her a response, after her husband had been sent the series of emails and had talked to his brother, that she had not been in the family long enough to star having problems and to NEVER, EVER send that type of email to her again. I was proud of her for handling the situation that was directed at her the way she did. But, it was obvious from the things the offending DDnL had sent to me was she was trying to 'pick another fight' (with me this time) when she failed to get the rise out of the other DDnL so she could say, 'everybody is picking on me'. She needs to stop with the 'its all about me' attitude. Those of us (me mostly) have learned this about her - and I certainly don't need the one thing in my life that should be important to me, to be one of my 'stressors'.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: I'm glad you were able to find a more affordable version of the medicine that Charlie needs. That doesn't speak too highly of Sam's in my opinion. :noway:

Pip: I'm thinking of you and Kirby and sending good wishes and hugs. I have been in fear mode over DH's health more than once & I know how horrible it is. Kirby looks amazingly good considering the nature of his injuries. You are both very courageous. :heart: :flowerforyou:

Irish Terri: Being stuck at a particular weight is sometimes referred to as a plateau. I spent a lot of time on plateaus on the way to my goal. Sometimes I needed to adjust calories, and other times I needed to be patient. Good luck! :heart:

Sylvia: I love the potato sack idea! :bigsmile: I'm keeping your son's health in my prayers. :flowerforyou:

DJ: You are absolutely right that I won't be sitting around with nothing to do. :laugh: I've been there and done that. I didn't much care for it. :grumble: I have lots of things on my to do list so that I don't turn into a ghost who watches TV 24/7. :noway:

Lillian: I've you've been moving beds and mattresses you likely earned every ache a nd pain. Heat and ibuprofen might help a bit. :flowerforyou:

DS & DDIL are coming today and I've already changed the sheets on the guest room bed. I will need to get some new sheets with deeper pockets. The ones I put on don't quite make it to the bottom of the new mattress. I hope they stay on well enough for the kids to have a decent night's sleep.

I will likely be at my riding lesson when they get here. At the moment it looks like we're having a dry day. I hope we get to do part of the riding lesson outdoors. I'll enjoy it, inside or out. I have this lesson plus two more on the calendar before we go to KY for Thanksgiving, then nothing until January. I hope I won't have to cancel the last November lesson due to travel changes.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Silvia- Google "Discount Dance" for a leotard for you're DGD if the one you bought does not work out. I have been buying dance gear from them for years for my DD. Lots of selection and quality is superb.

❤️Rosie in So Cal
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,137 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Michele- another issue could have been that the crust was too thick on top. Also my DH said to push the crust down on top of the apples. Even if you make the lattice top. Make sure there is contact with the apples. A lot of people put the crust down and are very careful about cutting slices in it but don't push it down on top of the apples because they want it to look perfect.

Pip - thank you for sharing such a touching memory of your experience with Kirby. I am so glad that he is on the road to recovery.

I did 20 minutes of kettle bell swing. I am still using we can pound weight single arm swing. I have to go into the cities to get a heavier kettle bell weight.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday ! ! !

Kim
    – your invitation to Katla sounds amazing. We are getting a hotel in the town where DH’s family lives, and will mostly just hang around drinking and eating and bowling. I hope you all are able to spend the Holidays in a way that you find suitable and enjoyable ! ! ! // Hugs for your football player Nephew, and his entire team, and all their family members. Such trauma at such a young age, and while doing things they want to enjoy. I hope they never lose their spirit ! ! ! // I hope your mom made a delicious and healthy choice for your supper last night.

Vicki – I do the same thing when I fall asleep in the car. Sometimes DH can touch my cheek and I will swivel my head a little. // You are so lucky to have such a positive memory of spontaneous dancing in public.

Irish Terri
    – Thanks for the Motivational posting about doing better than myself. I have sent it to my DD, so hopefully we can pass it back and forth to each other when our motivation is a struggle.

Grits – Sorry you are having such a rough time with your computer. I wish I could help, but it’s not likely. Have you tried watching a youtube video? It seems a person can find almost anything on youtube. // A few years ago I started reading books by (forgive my spelling) Iyanla Vanzant. I see that they are available really cheap on half.ebay.com . She gives examples of how to act and react to different difficult social situations, including not allowing people to drag you “to the basement”. I hope you can find and maintain what you need to tolerate this unhappy person who must be a part of your life.

Meg – Hugs for you and Bennie ! ! !

Becca – Love Utopia, but my DH must also kill spiders, because they completely creep me out. I can milk my share of the cows, because it would likely be less damaging on my joints on average days, and I can harmonize while you and others sing, but I can’t clean. What can I trade for cleaning services? // In Winona there is a yearly group that sets up camp to teach the kids about “old fashioned” living. They are each encouraged to bring something to barter. Many bring items from their garden (or refrigerator). The young-teens usually get a pretty good lesson and have a good time.

Sylvia
    – Hugs and Prayers ! ! ! // the Oxygen tank situation is VERY frustrating and painful. // I hope you find a leotard that fits properly ! ! ! (during the time I was in gymnastics I was also body-building, so leotards that looked too long stretched in circumference, and then they would fit properly; that’s the nice thing about spandex and other double-knit fabrics)

Pip – How encouraging that Kirby can stand and smile. You are both so strong, and I’m certain you will both do great taking care of yourselves and each other. There is a balance, and I have confidence that you will know what that is while it is happening. More Hugs and Prayers ! ! !

Miriam – Your offer to fix the leotard for Sylvia’s DGD is SO nice. We now know another of your talents for Becca’s Utopia ! ! !

Kimses – Congrats on the to-go box; Great NSV ! ! !

DJ
    – Enjoy the Style Show.

Lillian – what is “toques”? I hope you enjoyed all those grandkids and your “nice weather”.

Peach – so you sell things on ebay and etsy? That’s an important skill. I presume you purchase inexpensive items and fix them up to sell for a profit? Admiration to you ! ! !

Katla – Enjoy your riding lesson. I also hope the weather is good for you. We dropped down to the lower 30’s today, with a forecasted high of 48. I am wearing a sweatshirt and headband around my ears. Short sleeves are not enough any longer.

I was able to get to work early today inspite of over-sleeping a little. But my first patient was waiting in his car, so I let him in and told him about the Honor Flight that I may volunteer for tonight (they have enough people already, and I don’t want to take away that opportunity from someone new). Well, since he was wearing a Vietnam Vet hat, I said “welcome home” and that started a flood of conversation, and emotions, and numerous stories both good and bad. I tried to walk in place and sway my hips for the 30 minutes that he talked, but I guess I will have to stay a little late to get on the bike, too. However, I must admit that the feelings he was able to share with me were worthy of the exchange. He invited DS and I to volunteer at the Veteran’s events he attends. I hope we can make it work around DS’s crazy schedule. I feel so warm and honored right now.

I overate at the buffette a little last night, but I chose high protein low fat foods (except for the brownie, which took me forever to eat because I savored every bite). No signs of sleep-eating last night (see, nothing to worry about).

A person just walked in to introduce me to his friend. We all shop at the same Mexican grocery store, and he wanted to meet the person who won the TV. This is such a funny town (and business), but I LOVE it ! ! !

Now, back to my paperwork. DH took DS bowling today, and I think they are doing some private coaching after league is done, because most of DS’s friends are in the Hall of Fame tournament tomorrow. Should be a lot of fun! ! !

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • pipcd34
    Options
    On the menu today peeps-
    Go home star tempting out the downstairs room, put away the dishes, do some laundry, call LensCrafters 2 look into get him some emergency replacement glasses.... Oh a friend started a gofundme account, that was unexpected.
    Later peeps.
  • susb
    susb Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yep, this a talented bunch for sure!

By the way, I am near the end of the first draft of my novel. Writing makes eating correctly seem like a breeze!

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,137 Member
    Options
    <3

Mary from Minnesota