WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Oh my! My husband has just received an invitation to a colleague's daughter's wedding. An Indian colleague. The invitation card lists not just the bride and groom but also their parents and grandparents. At the bottom of the card is the Programme: Day 1 and Day 2...

Unfortunately I'm booked solid those days.

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do Sudoku and crosswords as well as the jigsaw puzzles online. I have to spend so much time lying flat with my bum hips that I need something when I run out of books. I must confess, though, that I cheat at the crosswords. I do not watch TV or movies or sports so I get stuck on many of those clues. So if I am stuck and cannot figure it out without knowing those clues, I look it up. I do extremely difficult Sudoku, but of course had to work my way up there.

My right hip was so painful last night that I had to stand during our choir rehearsal. Feeling a bit better this morning.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Morning my friends~
    I slept like a rock last night 10 hr and 10 minutes...
    going out with my friend Doris today ,going to a few thrift stores looking for a small boom box/cd player for my DFIL and some frank sinatra cds.. music soothes the savage beast, and when he gets out of control this helps so much...
    today is DSIL birthday and DB and her are going to the cape for a few days so I am on duty..
    Sylvia~ that sounds like something I would do, glad you are ok...
    Joyce~ you are sooo sweet thank you.. I have a suggestion.. with your hubbys meds could you contact the maker of his meds .. sometimes they can give you a break on price..
    I like doing circle words before bed, it helps me sleep and they say doing that helps your mind stay sharp...
    Penny~ that sounds exciting ,, but I would never be able to do that as I am clostraphobic..(sp)
    having my second cup of tea and have laundry in, then going to walk the dogs.. then off to feed DFIL..and the off I go..
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    was just on facebook... Hopefully Pip wont mind me posting this.. but she is on her way to the hospital Kirby was hit by a car.. keeping them both in my prayers xoxoxox
    UPDATE- everything happened on the right side of him. Right clavicle fracture, rib fracture on the 1st, 4th n 6th rib, pulmonary contusion, hip fracture and spine injury, more later
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Allie - can't imagine she would mind... Pip - y'all have had one hell of a year. Thinking about you both.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Pip prayers for Kirby.

Miriam so sorry about your hip hope you feel better.

Lenore prayers for your family. As many of us know life is hard enough why do others sometimes make it more difficult.

Appreciating those beautiful things in my life. Enjoyed choir practice last night. I believe this will be a good fit for me because it allows me to keep up with the church I had been singing.

Sending virtual (((((Hugs))))) to all.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers they are very much appreciated.

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Pip - I'm so sorry that happened to Kirby! We are praying for you and him.

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    edited November 2015
    Options
    (((((Hugs))))) to you Pip. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome for Kirby - a quick and total recovery.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    o6ftg1o397gb.jpeg

This is one of my bowls with decal embellishments. Once it's fired the black will turn reddish brown/sepia. Tomorrow morning I'll get to see them all finished.

That is a very beautiful bowl!!

Lillian
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thinking of Pip and Kirby. Scary.

I am making myself post honestly because I went up 2 lbs this week (which is what I lost last week) so back to 0. I can't blame this on the scale. However, I was very much on track all week, so this is surprising. My message to myself: I knew this wouldn't be easy, but the key is consistency so stick with it. It would be easy to look for excuses but that won't change anything. I've got a plan and I'm going to stick to it and move forward. It is what is is.

So there you have it.
    It will be a warm day here in MA so a good day for a long walk.

Thanks for the feedback on the scales. I think I'll get a new one today so at least I get the same reading within a 10- minute span.

ki1ooorq0ltf.jpg

Kimses in MA
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    terri_mom wrote: »

My pet-peeve about scheduling doctor appointments: “I missed work yesterday because I have a cold, and I’m not going to work today, so I need a doctor’s excuse”. Me: “do you have fever or chills or any other symptoms?” “no, it’s just a cold”. Really, then suck it up and go to work ! ! ! So now the schedule is full, and if someone calls who is REALLY sick or injured, they have to wait for a different day, or go somewhere else, or have a long time waiting in our rooms because the doctor will be double-booked, which isn’t fair to anyone. Thanks, )

And then the flip side to this: my pet peeve is places that won't let you miss a couple of days for a cold without a doctor's excuse. So, instead of staying home and getting the rest that you need, you suck it up and go to work to give all your co-workers your germs.

My work place requires a dr note if sick for two days. I had bronchitis and the dr wouldn't give me a note - told me to go to work and make sure I cough into my sleeve, wash my hands lots and use my $100 inhaler 3 times a day. the boss's favourite girl got pneumonia and missed 3 weeks of work.... I got blamed ...and told next time I am sick "stay home" and I don't need a note... ummmm ..... cough cough ...oh I feel bronchitis coming on ... :):)

Lillian
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Lillian, that is funny!

Pip, hoping Kirby heals as well as you did! So sorry this happened to him! Was he running?
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kimses, I like that about the river cutting through the rock by persistence.

Prayers and healing thoughts for Kirby.

Lenora, so sorry for ongoing troubles with your DnL. Our life growing up was awful because all of my Dad's family lived within walking distance of each other and my Mom couldn't get along with her in-laws. Also, they worked together which made it worse.

Penny, the ice cave sounds fantastic. The only cave I have ever been in was Ruby Falls in Tennessee and it was a commercial operation but fun to walk through.

More gloomy weather here today. I just can't seem to get going when it is like this but will make myself walk the Pom in a bit.

Carol in GA

• Lilymay2
    Options
    And my long weekend away from work begins.....

Unfortunately I get to go to a funeral. An elderly neighbour lady passed away. Sad to say it was a blessing as she had bone cancer and was in very intense pain. She was a very close friend of DMIL, so we will pick up DMIL and take her to the funeral. Cancer is so prevalent in our area lately!!

Take care everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Michele NC, you are not only an inspiration with your exercising but with your shopping as well. It almost sounds like it would be a full time job for me and you make it sound easy because you know all the tricks of the trade.

Katla, thanks for the giggles while reading about your Magic 8 Ball scales. Too funny! Woo hoo that the painters came and did a good job. Ya gotta love that!

Heather, CONGRATS on losing that pesky pound! Isn’t it amazing how one can just hang on for dear life? Have a ball in London and I hope the rain is light.

Sharon, I hope your blood test results are good. For sure you don’t want to take a cough to DH. Not what either of you need. And why should you feel guilty about not being able to take DGD to the doctor???

Jenna, it’s ashamed that fireworks scare some dogs so much. They don’t have any way of understanding what’s going on. I have one that is like that and the other two don’t seem to mind.

Irish, hope you are able to enjoy your dancing!

Karen, I hope you enjoy your trip to Philly.

Penny, I know what you mean about scales showing a higher number every once in a while. I mean, what’s up with that?? smiley-confused003.gif OMG reading about crawling in the ice caves just gives me the willies!!! I’m way to claustrophobic to even think about that. Eeewwwww It’s a bummer that you can’t make the wedding.

Miriam, glad the hip is better and hope it continues to improve.

Allison, thanks for letting us know about Kirby. Definitely saying a prayer for them both. It sounds pretty serious. I sure hope he’s okay!

Margaret, so glad the choir seems to be a good fit. You need that right now along with our continued support. (((Hugs)))

Lillian, does it seem like sometimes ya just can’t win? smiley-confused013.gif I mean it’s not like you wanted to go to work sick. Sad about your neighbor but good that she is out of pain now.

Carol GA, I feel what you feel. This gloomy weather is getting old. I think we may see the sun here tomorrow so I’m excited.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I have come up with a new plan for exercising for now. I have just been terrible about it lately so today decided that I will just do a little at a time. I have my dumb bells near the spot where I do my push-ups. Every time I pass that spot, I will stop and do some push-ups and weight repetitions. That way it’s no big deal but throughout the day should be able to get in more than I would if I forced myself to do my regular routine. I’ll see how this goes. So far this morning it’s working pretty well. I’m so excited. When I took my good friend to the doctor the other day I found out that she is not going to her daughter’s house for Thanksgiving like she usually does. So I invited her to our house and will invite another friend of ours who will be here in town alone. It is just so much better to cook for 4 people than just the two of us. DH always wants to just fix a turkey breast and I want a whole turkey. I told him I can send some leftovers home with each of them so he won’t have to eat turkey sandwiches for so long.smiley-eatdrink023.gif I mean, we have a lab that will eat the leftovers as long as she can so it’s not like DH is forced to eat them all. Oh yes and that 2 pounds is gone today. woo hoo

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    DJ, congrats on losing those 2 pounds.

And, congrats to Heather for losing her pesky pound.

I was pleased at the docs yesterday when their scale said I weighed a pound less than my scale.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

no i don't mind at all for you posting what happened to kirby. got home at midnight, getting ready to call the ins. company to let them know and the police to find out what happened. he was riding his bike home like usual. i was walking home when i got the call, going on the same route. so i started running/walking to make sure i could get home fast enough to let the dogs out to go pee and feed them (fast enough to get home quicker, slow enough not to trip, it's dark out) then drove to the hospital. worse thing for him is all this is on his right side, he's right handed. spine injury has affected his movement in his hands, can get better in time, may not... can leave as is or try surgery, decision he will have to make. sorry for the run on sentence. lolol

type to ya later.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Prayers for Pip and Kirby. That sounds mighty serious.

Prayers also for Margaret and her DH. Cancer is horrible, horrible, horrible.

Thanks to Terri and a few others, I learned something today. I thought fasting meant not even water unless you needed a little sip to swallow medication. I wonder if those instructions vary from doctor to doctor, although it makes sense to me that water wouldn't affect the results.

My favorite puzzles are acrostic puzzles and cryptograms. I order books of nothing but acrostics. I never cheat by looking in the back, but I do use the Internet to look up clues when the puzzles are really hard - things like 1945 Oscar winner for Best Picture or what team an athlete plays for, that sort of thing. I guess a purist would call that cheating, but I call it research!

• Lagopus
    Options
    Hmm, leave as is or try surgery when you have a broken clavicle. Seems to me I've heard that somewhere before....

Pip, I'm glad it isn't more serious than that you are able to close your post with "lolol". I was awfully worried! You and Kirby have really been in the wars this year!
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    I concur with DJ. Way too claustrophobic to do ice caves. I had a hard time the last MRI I had to have, suddenly wanted out NOW and even though the techs say they can hear you and will respond, they did NOT! I had a hard time with it.