WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    The last week I have had the radio off in my car and heard a chirp sound. On the way home from work I stopped by where I get my car fixed. It turns out the brakes needed work plus the struts were bad. If left as they are the strut can pop a tire when it goes. This did happen to DH when his car was in the garage thankfully. This can happen when you driving a car too. Scary. Then not only do you need a new strut but new tire as well plus the potential for an accident. With everything else going on I want my car running in top condition. Lesson learned it pays to leave the music off in the car and listen to hear if any problems are developing.

Pip prayers again for Kirby. Prayers for quick healing and full use of his right side.

:heart: Margaret
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Grits – lol about driving through the drive-thru. One time DD complained that I get all the fun, since I’m always the person to place the order, so I drove through in reverse, so she could place the order. // Another time DS and DH and I were eating at a fast food Italian place, and the waitress looked at my son and said “Do you go to Hale?” He said yes, so she said “I’ve seen you in the hall before, probably see you tomorrow.” He just grunted, so I said “His name is Payne. When you see him in the hall again, even if he is way on the opposite side, make sure to say Hi Payne super loud, to make sure he hears you. Remember, Payne, don’t forget, Payne.” He was SO embarrassed, he barely spoke to me for days. What good is life if we can’t have fun (and embarrass our kids and grandkids)?

I just ordered a Samsung Activity Tracker because is was cheap ($9.99 after rebate). Anyone use one? I know it's not a FitBit, and it probably won't link-up to my iPhone, but I hope it helps with my motivation.

Still sending more hugs and prayers to everyone ! ! !

Terri
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Healing thoughts to Pip & Kirby <3....I am starting to hate all moving vehicles these days. Lets just go back to the cart and buggy deal?

My high notes were postponed because she isn't feeling well, so healing go out to her as well. I did sing on her answering machine a wee bit, but no high notes were involved. I can't do opera into a machine...

Wrote a message on my husband and I's facebook page, on the healing properties of family. I was blessed to have my older sister come visit on the coast, my sons and DIL during the middle of the month, as well as visiting my MIL and my step-father. Its amazing all the planning that was involved in making all that happen. But happened it did, and I'm really thankful for it all. October was a good month!

To all of you that are being on task with your weight journey GOOD ON YA.!!!!!.(that is a Norwegian phrase that pretty much sums up life in general).

Becca
    need food its lunch time here...
    in Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Ladies, I am freaking out here. Yesterday I committed to selling my glass on Dec. 1. I need to make sure none of the pieces have rough edges. I need to clean everything. Sign everything. Price it all. Pack it all. Then comes the table set up and selling part. Just seeing my stuff all set out on my dining room table has me questioning my sanity in taking this step. I've just about convinced myself that none of it is good enough to sell. Why o why am I like this when it comes down to having confidence in my own work?

Your work is beautiful, wish it was here!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    busy day, went all over the place looking for a boom box, finally found one at my SIL collecting dust. found my friends at the nursing home a few cds I knew they would like, got my DFIL a Frank Sinatra one.. got Tom a new calculator ,new workshirt and a new pair of gloves.. found a brand new office chair for my dad , early christmas present.. at goodwill for 25;00
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Pip ... Prayers for you and Kirby! Spine injuries are not to be taken lightly.

:heart:

Beth

• bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    DJ - congratulations on your 2lb loss!

Heather- i'm so glad that you got rid of that pesky pound!

Kip they fit you and Kirby are still in our prayers we are hoping that after his pain and swelling subside that he will be back to normal with no lasting affects.

Drkatiebug- your glass is beautiful! You're very artistic!

Chris - beautiful pictures! Last day!

Terri- you are such a mean momma! LOL

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Ladies, I am freaking out here. Yesterday I committed to selling my glass on Dec. 1. I need to make sure none of the pieces have rough edges. I need to clean everything. Sign everything. Price it all. Pack it all. Then comes the table set up and selling part. Just seeing my stuff all set out on my dining room table has me questioning my sanity in taking this step. I've just about convinced myself that none of it is good enough to sell. Why o why am I like this when it comes down to having confidence in my own work?

:)<3 Mia, one year my word for the year was "stretch" to both add yoga to my life and to stretch myself as a person. That was the year I started teaching the line dance class. I learned to stay in the moment and just do one thing at a time. Just start with the first task and think only about that task, then move on to the next one, and so on. Don't think about your talent or that you are freaking out, just do the next indicated thing and in December you'll be amazed that you were able to tackle and complete this scary enterprise.

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/grey%5E_%5Etahoma%5E_%5E6%5E_%5E0%5E_%5EYou can do it%5E_%5E.gif[/img]
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Had a good evening. It was a bit of a strain at times, but I coped well. The dinner was in the most marvellous gothic room, in an iconic building, with a piano player and soft lighting. I knew it would be expensive, but it wasn't outrageous. The food was OK, but not worth the money. You are paying for the atmosphere. :)
    Tomorrow if it isn't raining I will meet my friends for a walk down the canal to the canal museum. If it is raining we have decided to go to our favourite department store. :D In the afternoon we are going to the British Museum for the Celts exhibition. Then I will come back to the hotel to pick up my case and meet them for early dinner before heading for the train.

My hips are troubling me, but I think it's the damp weather. Sitting is very uncomfortable.

Thinking about Kirby. How things can change in an instant. Hugs for Pip.

Where my friend has her flat used to be an old, tatty part of London, famous for crime and prostitutes. Now it is all redeveloped and very swish. Shiny and new. Posh shops and eateries. Leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

Never mind. Need to sleep.

Love Heather UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Pip What a terrible thing to happen. Hoping for a positive outcome. Prayers and healing thoughts for Kirby. (((Hugs))) for you. Glad you feel positive enough to say lolol at the end.

Kimses Weight can be like that, up one day, down the next. If you stick with it, the trend is usually downwards, however, slowly.

Peach, DJ, Heather Congrats on the weight loss. I'm still stuck on the plateau. 3 weeks since I lost anything. Wavering up and down a pound regularly, but not dropping below 166. Arghhhh!

Grits I'm chuckling at the thought of you driving through and not buying anything.

Rori I hope that your DH has a positive outcome with his biopsy. You can't be too careful with skin cancer. Better safe than sorry.

Barbie I love that poster on the benefits of dancing. I often prance about the house. My mum was a dance teacher. For years I thought everyone had a roll up dance floor behind the sofa.

I managed quite well at Dancing Class this morning. Everyone was pleased to see me back on form.

smiley-happy110.gif

:heart: (((Hugs))) and prayers for those who need them. :heart:

:star: Welcome to our Newbies! You will find a warm support team here! :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

smiley-happy110.gif

Irish Terri
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    17,000 steps
    165 minutes of dog walking
    82 minutes riding the exercise bike
    line dance class

t115003.gifAnother ordinary day in Utopia....dog walking, line dance class, and riding the exercise bike while knitting and watching TV. We're going out of town tomorrow overnight so we had to pack and get things ready to board the pets.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtont116008.gif

evm0pcjab2t8.jpg
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat - I can get here by hitting the link you posted in October; but, for some reason the star will only bring up October for me and it does not change to yellow. I don't know what I am doing wrong; but, possibly you or someone can advise me how to actually do it. It should be simple; but, this month is doesn't seem to want to do it for me. :'(
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Grits - Are you clicking on the empty star just above the magnifying glass?

Barbie - you are so wise. Focus on each step as it comes up and don't worry about everything at once.

Pip - Sending good thoughts to you and Kirby. I hope he recovers completely and soon.

I got all of the glass that is in condition to sell.

Here is the table:

c634zvpa1fvc.jpg

And all of the ornaments on the couch:

eto63f6nb24d.jpg
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Mia, I am drooling! I especially love the red vase- both the color and shape, and the purple and lavender ones from what I can see of them. I also love the flowers, and all the blue ones (I don't care much for decorating with green, myself). I also think that pumpkin is adorable. You are quite talented! Your ornaments would make a gorgeous tree- I envision them on a white tree to make the colors pop. Wow. Drool drool drool...
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of an advanced strength workout today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a video on the bosu.

Made these mac & cheese muffins to take to Jess. Now I have one of the angelfood pineapple cakes in the oven (that's something I know Vince will eat) and then I'm planning to make these (baked) pumpkin spice donuts to take up there.

I just logged into my homepage. Do you know that it's been three days since I logged in there?

Mary - have a good time!

Called the hotel where we're staying this weekend at Jess'. Remember I told you that the fitness room was going to be closed because they're doing renovations. Well, they said to call about options, so I called. Their option is to use the Y which doesn't open until 7. I need something earlier. At first they asked me if I had a car and told me that I can use the fitness place near there (about 1/2 mile away). Then they realized that Vince is a platinum elite member (one perk is that if the hotel is booked, someone else gets bumped and we get the room) so they said they would call the hotel next door and ask that I be able to use their fitness center. I'm going to take some DVD's with me that I can play on my laptop just in case. they said that I would be able to do it earlier in the area where they serve breakfast.

This angel food cake will come out of the oven, then it takes something like 1-1/2hr to cool. In the meantime I'll get some litter at Target (since it's on sale) and then go for my DEXA scan.

Sharon - how nice that you get the china cup and no one else! Hope you gd is better fast

Irish Terri - good luck dancing. What kind of dancing do you guys do? Ballroom?

Karen from NY - have fun in Philly. We used to live right outside of Philly

Penny - have a great trip! Boy, you sure are one busy gal!

Alison - thanks so much for posting about pip. There are days when I don't check facebook at all. How horrible!

Lillian - so sorry about your neighbor, but it's good that she's no longer in pain

DJ - when I was exercising this morning, Loki came to "help" me. Everytime I go down to do a pushup, I give him a kiss. He isn't so crazy about that....lol He does think that my doing a plank is great because I make a "bridge" for him to walk under....lol How nice of you to invite your friend for Thanksgiving. congrats on losing those pounds

Just made some pumpkin spice donuts to take to Jess. I think I may have made them too thick.

pip - that's just awful what happened to Kirby! How are his spirits? Bet you've reached your 100% max deductible for insurance...lol

Lenora - did you bookmark the Nov thread? If you only bookmarked Oct that would explain why you are going there. That was so funny you "going thru a drive-thru"

Newcomer bowling tonight

Margaret - so glad you got your car checked out before anything serious happened. Good for you!

terri - when my kids were first learning to drive, I drove a brown station wagon. They called it "the rolling turd". None of them would be caught dead driving that car. Well...it worked for me because when I needed a car, I always had one at my disposal. You're almost as mean as I am!

Mia - breathtaking glass. I think the orange one, looks like a pumpkin, is my favorite

Michele in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Terri_mom & TerriRichard - that is HYSTERICAL ... I think that my granddaughters (at their present ages) would get out of the car and run away; DH would probably be admitting me into the hospital - for sure. I'd never hear the end of it from my DOS and DDnL (who already thinks I am certifiable). I keep telling her that I have the 'papers to prove it' and she really needs to check the color of my eyes before she pops off at the mouth; but, at any time she wants me to, I'll do a little 'cut & paste' for her. I'm real good at aligning things up. Part of my job was reading medical records for mistakes in medical malpractice cases. Bad thing about MDs going technical is they can go back and fiddle with evidence now (if they were that devious - I had one that was just that mean-spirited, too). But Karma is a *kitten* and she will show up (usually when it is least expected) ... did I say my middle name was "Karma"? I guess since I grew up in an attorney's house, I learned early not to repeat what got said inside our home. My Daddy even taught me how to 'play poker' so that (as a 4 year old) I would not go around and stand on the back of their chairs and give away someone's hand in a poker game when they had their rotating game nights with their friends. I never could understand why they'd all through their cards down and cuss under their breath (until he taught me the game). I'd get spanked and sent to the kitchen to stay with "The Help". I can think of all kinds of trouble to get into if I am left "Home Alone". DH's family used to get together and tell stories; one would beget another one; and they'd be cackling like old hens and roosters at the things they grew up doing with and to one another. I tried to take down their stories so that I could pass them along to my children and their children; but you would have had to have been there with a tape recorder. They sounded like a good old Cajun family who grew up with very little; but, they never thought they were poor. It's sort of sad that we had 2 or more generations of children who don't know how to entertain themselves without a cell phone in their hands. And to 'think' that Obuzzard says 'you did not build that'. HA! The children of the 40's, 50's and 60's did a lot of building things and making them more and more compact.

To all that need prayers I am steady praying for you. To all the newbies I have missed because of my computer getting stuck in October - welcome to a great group of ladies (and a few spouses or SOs).

Hope you get up out of bed and see the beauty that each morning brings.

Lenora
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Pip, I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to Kirby. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Mia, your glass is beautiful! I especially like the lilies. Working with glass is a hundred times harder than clay, so my hat is off to you! My advice is...don't price too low. I was having a hard time selling stuff and my friends told me my prices were too low so people didn't think it was worth buying. I raised the prices and things flew off the shelves. Hand made glass is not cheap, and it shouldn't be. You put a lot into it.

I drove my bowls over to the empty bowls event. It was three hours each way. In the rain. But they seemed thrilled with my contribution and the lady running it insisted on taking me to lunch. My sister had come down to have lunch with me so the lady bought her lunch too. She was very nice. She and my sister seemed to hit it off, and it turned out that they knew some of the same people. So it was a really nice day.

On the way there I stopped in a tiny little town called Elk Falls and visited the Elk Falls Pottery. I've known about it for 20 years and never found the time to stop. The potters were very nice and we had a nice visit. I came home with a very nice baking dish from their shop for my collection.

Now I'm eager to get back in the studio and make more stuff. This time for my own gallery. I only have a few weeks to get ready for the holiday sales to start.

Well, I'm going to put some laundry in and then go to bed. Have a great evening.

Sylvia
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Katla: Sounds like you are deep into home improvement mode. Glad you’re enjoying the results. Thanks for the good thoughts for my DH. He’ll have first of 2, possibly 3 outpatient procedures on Nov. 16th.

Sylvia: My favorite bowls are the ones with polka dots, but I also like the pinched rimmed version.

Pip! Oh no! Praying for Kirby.

Penny: I’d love to explore an ice cave. Regular caves give me the willies because I don’t like bats. You and I have the same malfunctioning scale.

DJ: Cheers on losing the 2 pounds and having a plan for using up turkey leftovers.

Barbie: Love the idea to celebrate life through dance. Make mine a hot salsa merengue!

Terri/Milwaukee: Not eating back exercise calories is what finally got me off a prolonged plateau. You got this.

Boston Mindy: Your snoozing pooches make me want to take a nap.

Miriam: Hope Geronimo keeps his pretty shirt on. Those kitties are lucky to have you as their human.

Heather: Shopping and museums. With friends. In London. Niiiiiice!

Mia: Speaking just for myself, I see a number of pieces on the table that I wouldn’t mind owning. Put your work out there and give the public the option to vote with their wallets. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Back is sore and that affects how much and how hard I work out. Hope to make it to the chiropractor tomorrow.
    Usually a quick adjustment works wonders, and the next day I’m back to full strength.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills where it’s cold, drizzly, but not quite snowing yet

Goals for November
    • Burn 2500 calories per week in the gym
    • Eat mindfully
    • Catch up with backlog of magazines
    • Meditate 4x per week
    Word for 2015: Mindfulness