November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - rest day / Halloween Hangover
    11/2 - 5.25 miles, 55° at 5:30 a.m. in Iowa! Nuts, but I love it!
    11/3 - 4 miles on indoor track followed by weights / abs. After running mostly outside for six months, you can run pretty fast on a flat, indoor surface.
    11/4 - 5.1 miles, again about 55° at 5:00 a.m. Getting spoiled by the weather!
    11/5 - woke up with some major heel pain...a touch of plantar fasciitis perhaps. Decided to take my rest day early and try again tomorrow.
    11/6 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights / abs. Heel feeling better, but not completely pain free.
    11/7 - 6 miles on a gorgeous morning!
    11/8 - 4 miles on another gorgeous day! Tried to get my daughter to come with, but she just wanted to walk...so I did that first.
    11/9 - 4 miles on indoor track, followed by lots of stretching
    11/10 - Rest Day.
    11/11 - 4 miles on indoor track, then weights and abs.

exercise.png

And a huge THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE to any of you running folks that are or will be veterans! Enjoy the day of adulation that you should get more often!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    That's what worries me about getting a headlamp - I'm really sensitive to motion and getting motion sick so I worry that the bouncing from running with a light will make me motion sick. I may have to start running really early in the morning.
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    I super recommend the petzl tikka rxp, it does not bounce too much and it's a mini sun - I spent £56 on amazon, better to invest a bit more than £10 and have something that makes the difference
    @ACSL3 I second the vote for the Petzl. Its not what I have right now - but a friend loaned me one and its now on my Gift Wish List. I did suffer from a little vertigo when I first started using a headlamp. I learned that if any light hits the bridge of my nose/cheeks this caused my eyes to try and focus on that bright point when ever I would look down when crossing an obstacle/rough patch in the trail. I now wear the light higher on my head so no more vertigo. A member of our local club uses a mini visor hat to ensure her face is in the shadow for the same reason.
    petzl.com/en/Sport/PERFORMANCE-headlamps?l=INT#.VkNYPTNdFjo
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    In for 40 this month.

11/2 - 3 miles
    11/4 - 3 miles
    11/7 - 3 miles
    11/9 - 3.23 miles
    11/11 - 3.5 miles

15.73/40 complete

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    11/11
    C25K Week 7 Day 1

I was supposed to do this yesterday but I was too sick. I woke up still sick this morning and covered in sweat, but I can't fall too far behind schedule since I am doing a Turkey Trot soon.

I was scared because I am feeling so poorly and humidity was 94%!!!!! and supper foggy. It felt like I was running inside a hot rain cloud :/

But it went surprisingly well! I didn't die. Yay!
    I remembered that the most important thing in c25k other than consistency is to slowwww down. Way down. I did it, and so I was able to complete my 25 minutes -- and I am happy to say I could've gone a little longer.
    I am actually looking forward to Week 7 Day 2!

Oh yeah, and no bear (even though today is BearDay) I ran with my maze and overall it was a good morning :)

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Working on my Christmas List - I'm thinking I want to put a running watch on it. I'm currently using MapMyRun on my phone, and have not had significant problems with it (except when I was trying to run intervals, but I don't do that anymore, working on pacing instead). MMR is pretty much just GPS, and uses that to calculate pace, etc.

I *think* I want GPS and heart rate monitor - but I'm pretty sure I DON'T want a chest strap. I think that'd be aggravating enough that I'd not use it. I know that the strapless HRM is less accurate, but I'm guessing that it'll be self-consistent enough for my purposes (it might not be as accurate as a chest strap, but from run to run, it'll give basically the same info).

My price range is ~$250 or less.

What experiences can you, my cohort, share with me?
    • Do you use such a device, and what do you like/not like about it?
    • Have you used one in the past, but stopped - if so, why?
    • What should I be looking for that I've not thought of?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    11/1 - 10 miles
    11/2 - rest day - sore shins
    11/3 - 5 miles
    11/4 - 5 miles
    11/5 - rest day cross country meet with Skip.
    11/6 - 7 miles
    11/7 - life day off - XC pancake breakfast which turned into still cleaning up until lunch LOL
    11/8 - 6 miles tried something new and ran 9:58 pace :tongue:
    11/9 - 5 miles nice slow pace since my HM is Saturday
    11/10 - rest day
    11/11 - 4 miles - Happy Veterans Day!

42 out of 110 miles

mncvibfit4nt.jpg
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    1/11 - Planned rest after HM
    2/11 - Travel day
    3/11 - Overslept
    4/11 - 4.7 miles
    5/11 - Migraine, no running
    6/11 - 6.3 miles
    7/11 - 3.3 miles
    8/11 - 15.06 miles
    9/11 - 3.23 miles
    10/11 - 5.49 miles
    11/11 - 5.82 miles
    Total: 43.85 miles

Target 125 miles
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I have a vivosmart but a forerunners or vivoactive would fit in your budget. I like garmin, i like their app. it syncs with MFP and some of them are waterproof.
    they all need to be paired with (and some come bundled with) a chest HRM. i thought they would be super uncomfortable, especially being a woman, but I don't even notice them on my runs. also if you go with the cheaper forerunner, you can afford to upgrade to the soft strap hrm which people like much better.
    there is a new vivosmart out with a optical hrm built in, but no gps.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @9voice9

I still recommend a HRM strap, I hate mine now especially around my ribs - but I find it the most accurate and consistent, and you wont feel it too much during the effort

got garmin 220 and fitbit HR (you'll need the charge HR for running)

my vote goes to the garmin

follow my suggestion:
    1) don't think
    2) shopping website
    3) buy a garmin FR630
    4) inform your wife/partner later about the purchase
    5) run!

:wink: :lol:

you could try the garmin FR 225
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 I have a Garmin with a chest strap HRM, I have to say the HRM is still in the box. I'm not really that concerned with that info so I'm useless to you there. When I looked at watches I made a list of what I wanted it to do. Distance, speed, pace, calories burned, beep at me, track steps and be comfortable enough for me to wear all day. So if I had to give advice that would be it, figure out what you want it for and start there.
    @shanaber the words "one arm" "ball" and "plank" should never ever be combined into one sentence...ever! The zero runner looks pretty neat.
    @aresende90 I hope you are feeling better soon.
    @moyer566 8K is my favorite distance and cinnamon buns are the bomb, that race sounds like it was made for me!

Happy Veteran's Day!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom i figured the 5k wouldn't offset the cinnamon roll and thanksgiving but the 8k might bring me closer :wink:
    @9voice9 the fr235 has an optical hrm
    @beachhouse758 don't forget to take time off if you need to. A day or two will most likely not make or break you on the turkey trot
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Working on my Christmas List - I'm thinking I want to put a running watch on it. I'm currently using MapMyRun on my phone, and have not had significant problems with it (except when I was trying to run intervals, but I don't do that anymore, working on pacing instead). MMR is pretty much just GPS, and uses that to calculate pace, etc.

I *think* I want GPS and heart rate monitor - but I'm pretty sure I DON'T want a chest strap. I think that'd be aggravating enough that I'd not use it. I know that the strapless HRM is less accurate, but I'm guessing that it'll be self-consistent enough for my purposes (it might not be as accurate as a chest strap, but from run to run, it'll give basically the same info).

Go to http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin (he also does other watch brands as well so go under product reviews). He is the most thorough when it comes to technology reviews. Like @skippygirlsmom said, make a list of all the things you are looking for and check out the different watches that offer the features you are looking for and cross reference that with the product reviews. There are some really great watches that can be found refurbished or used from Ebay or Amazon or Craig's List. My current ForeRunner 220 I got from I bought cheap ($125) from a friend that was upgrading and I am perfectly happy with it. It comes with the HRM chest strap tho. I know you are not looking for the chest strap.

Good luck!!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for November

11/1 REST DAY
    11/2 10 miles - 10
    11/3 11 miles - 21
    11/4 4 miles - 25 << Recovery Day
    11/5 11 miles - 36 << Threshold Day
    11/6 6.2 miles - 42.2 << Recovery Day
    11/7 15 miles - 57.2 << Long Run (1 week till Huntsville Half)
    11/8 REST DAY
    11/9 REST DAY
    11/10 7 miles - 64.2 << Brueggers taper run (.5 w/u, 2.5 ~ghmp, 4 easy)
    11/11 4.1 miles 68.3 << Easy taper run in my neighborhood.

exercise.png

4 more days till the Huntsville Half.

• JuliannaEP
    JuliannaEP Posts: 53 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm (almost) 1/3 of the way there and (just over) 1/3 of the way through the month... Have to jump on those runs! :D Too bad I'm spending all day today hanging up Christmas lights! I'm trying to get it done because we're supposed to have a wetter/colder winter here in TX and don't want to be high up on my roof when it's cold and rainy...

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Another loyal Garmin user here. I am on my 3rd Garmin, the FR220. As others have said, it uses a chest strap HRM, which is the only drawback. I have read that there is supposed to be an arm band accessory optical HRM available for the FR220, but I have not been able to find it on-line, so it may not have been released yet. If you plan to use your HRM a lot (as I do), I would definitely recommend splurging for a model with the optical HRM because the chest strap can be a pain and is sometimes uncomfortable on long runs. I have never worn it for a marathon because of this, but I would really like to see that data.
  • JuliannaEP
    JuliannaEP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »

I just started using the Microsoft Band2 ($250) and I love it! I has GPS, strapless heart rate monitor and a barometer (altitude)! I used to use the Garmin 405 until mine recently crapped out and was more expensive to fix than it was worth. My husband (who uses a Polar HRM with chest strap) was wanting a new watch, too, so he researched a few. He came upon this one after having looked at the FitBit Surge (FitBit's GPS watch). The GPS tracking is great on it, the HR is pretty accurate compared to the Polar and **bonus** you can add a Starbucks app to it and pay from your watch! It's also a sleep tracker, step counter and it gives call and text alerts. It does a whole lot more, but I'm just listing the things I use.

The Band links up to the Microsoft Health App which links up to MFP. There are a couple of known issues right now for some people, but everything does when it's new. The first couple of times, Microsoft Health wouldn't sync to MFP for me. My husband had no issues, so I just had to put a couple of runs in manually. Now it's working fine.

Good luck, there are so many choices out there! Just my two cents on what I use.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 75 miles

11/1 4.42
    11/2 rest
    11/3 3.18
    11/4 9.47
    11/5 rest
    11/6 3.25
    11/7 6.25: 1st (and last ;) ) in my age group!
    11/8 redeye to mainland (but 5+ miles walking on the Strip....)
    11/9 travel vegas to phoenix.....jetlagged
    11/10 5 in the desert: I ain't in the rainforest anymore, Toto! (as I wipe my bloody nose and wet my dry lips...)
    11/11 4.21

Total 35.78

Upcoming races:
    11/15 Las Vegas RocknRoll 1/2 marathon
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    11/2 -- 4.46
    11/7 -- 5.36
    11/9 -- 2.23
    11/10 - 3.71

Month to Date: 15.76 / 70 Goal
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    11/1 3.1 @ 11:15 outside in the neighborhood in the rain
    11/2 rest
    11/3 5.0 @ 10:59 on the treadmill (plus a 1 mile walk and strength training)
    11/4 8.2 @ really really slow (16:04) riking (run-hiking, steep, covered with inches of leaves and treacherous fun)
    11/5 4.0 @ 12:30 recovery run plus .5 walk on the park trail
    11/6 3.25 @ 10:53 on the treadmill (really 3.0 at 10:28, plus .25 at a walk) plus strength training.
    11/7 Rest/Life Day

11/8 Rest/Life Day
    11/9 5.5 @ 12:30 on the park trail with the doggy--who really enjoyed rolling around in the leaves!
    11/10 2.5 @ 11:38 (really 2.25 at 11:07 and a .25 walk) around the neighborhood in the rain.
    11/11 6 @ 11:32 on the treadmill (really 5 at 11:00 and 1 at a fast walk/jog) plus strength training
    11/12
    11/13
    11/14

exercise.png

• tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    11/3--5.28 miles
    11/4--5.03 miles
    11/5--strength training and elliptical
    11/6--3 miles
    11/7--13.03 (woo hoo)