November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @5BeautifulDays -Don't get too hung up on the idea of not having your long run be too high of a % of your weekly total. Unless you are running a huge amount of miles, it's inevitable when you get in the later stages of your training. If you can add a few miles here and there to balance it out, then great, but don't let it stop you from training the way you think is right for you.

Actually, keeping your long run within 25-35% of your weekly miles prevents overuse injuries from developing.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/making-your-long-runs-count
    https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/104uqn/the_long_run_why_20_milers_are_not_necessary_for/

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/are-you-putting-too-much-emphasis-on-the-long-run-as-part-of-your-marathon-training/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO1hQ_kplgo

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    November 1 - lazy day, no running
    November 2 - 17km in the morning and another 4km with my dog in the evening.
    November 3 - 10km early this morning. First snowfall of the year. :'( I'm ready for it to be summer.
    November 4 - day off
    November 5 - 10km - less than 2km in and I tripped on the sidewalk and fell hard. I shook it off and kept going. When I got home I realize my running tights were ripped and covered in blood. Yay for running in the dark.

November Total: 41km (209km/130 miles to go)

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for November

11/1 REST DAY
    11/2 10 miles - 10
    11/3 11 miles - 21
    11/4 4 miles - 25 << Recovery Day
    11/5 11 miles - 36 << Threshold Day

exercise.png

WRH Panera Pounders Day: 11 miles total: 1 mi w/u @ 8:56, 3 mi @ tempo (6:57, 7:03, 7:06), 4 mi just above steady state (7:51, 7:58, 7:59, 8:06), stopped to recover then did 8x 30 sec strides plus c/d (8:59, 9:54, 9:42).

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Regarding the long run not being more than 25-30% of your overall mileage, I know that is the general rule of thumb, and I agree with it for the most part. However, for most people training for a marathon or even a half marathon, there comes a point when the long run is going to take up the bulk of your mileage unless you are running very high volumes. For example, I think it's more critical that someone training for a marathon reach a long run distance of 20 miles than to hit a weekly high of 60 miles. And it's also true that someone running a half marathon should hit at least one 10 miles run, but it's not necessarily important to hit 30 miles per week. My point is that you should not let one stop you from doing the other. Of course, this is just my opinion.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    less than 2km in and I tripped on the sidewalk and fell hard. I shook it off and kept going. When I got home I realize my running tights were ripped and covered in blood. Yay for running in the dark.

Oh my, hope you are okay! It's weird how you don't really notice it until you get back. That's happened to me as well. Get home and there's blood all over my toe. I felt a little something, but not that bad. I run in the dark 90% of the time and I run in the street because the sidewalks here are just too bumpy. And even going around the corners on the street where the street dips down, I have to slow down quite a bit to avoid injury. When headlights are coming I move over to grass/sidewalk briefly.

@9voice9 - yep, this is definitely the enablers group!

I don't have a specific bucket list of where I want to run, other than I want to run in different cities when I travel. Going to Europe next summer for 30 year anniversary so plan on running in all the cities we visit. Husband doesn't run so now sure how excited he will be for me to be gone running, but I'll make it so that he'd rather deal with that, than me being cranky not running.

My daughter lives in NYC so when I visit I get to run there. Did Central Park, along the Hudson and around Roosevelt Island. I think the Hudson was my favorite. Central Park was beautiful but quite hilly for me. Daughter is doing a 5K in Yankee stadium which sounds like fun. (unless you are a Red Sox fan I suppose).
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    November 5 - 10km - less than 2km in and I tripped on the sidewalk and fell hard. I shook it off and kept going. When I got home I realize my running tights were ripped and covered in blood. Yay for running in the dark.

Yeesh. Anything more serious than a graze? OTOH - given that we're all accusing each other of being addicted, maybe a few flesh wounds are part of the price we pay for engaging our drug of choice.... :smiley:
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Daughter is doing a 5K in Yankee stadium which sounds like fun. (unless you are a Red Sox fan I suppose).

I've been hearing the ads for that one on satellite radio. It's an interesting idea - wonder if other places might be amenable to doing it (like, Turner Field in Atlanta - before they close it down and the Braves move out to Gwinnett...).

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    11/1 3.1 @ 11:15 outside in the neighborhood in the rain
    11/2 rest
    11/3 5.0 @ 10:59 on the treadmill (plus a 1 mile walk and strength training)
    11/4 8.2 @ really really slow (16:04) riking (run-hiking, steep, covered with inches of leaves and treacherous fun)
    11/5 4.0 @ 12:30 recovery run plus .5 walk on the park trail

@lporter229 and @Stoshew71 that is my dilemma--I want a 10 mile long run (eventually) on a 25-mile week, lol! I *am* getting faster and faster, especially on the treadmill. I think there will come a point soon where a 30 mile week won't feel like I do nothing but run all the time. So maybe I need to wait until I get to that point to increase my long run to 10 miles?

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Regarding the long run not being more than 25-30% of your overall mileage, I know that is the general rule of thumb, and I agree with it for the most part. However, for most people training for a marathon or even a half marathon, there comes a point when the long run is going to take up the bulk of your mileage unless you are running very high volumes. For example, I think it's more critical that someone training for a marathon reach a long run distance of 20 miles than to hit a weekly high of 60 miles. And it's also true that someone running a half marathon should hit at least one 10 miles run, but it's not necessarily important to hit 30 miles per week. My point is that you should not let one stop you from doing the other. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Read the links I left in my post answering this point (especially the video). The question becomes why do you have to run a 20 miler if you are preparing for a marathon? If it takes you longer than 2-1/2 hours to run that 20 miles, then physiologcally you are no longer benefitting from that long run, and in fact doing more to damage your body and the longer you will need to recover which takes away from other workouts. 20 miles just because some plan told you to do it? It only helps pyschologically. It makes you think you are more ready for a marathon if you ran those 20 miles. I would argue that overall weekly mileage will help you prepare more for a marathon than 1 single workout in the week.

11/1 3.1 @ 11:15 outside in the neighborhood in the rain
    11/2 rest
    11/3 5.0 @ 10:59 on the treadmill (plus a 1 mile walk and strength training)
    11/4 8.2 @ really really slow (16:04) riking (run-hiking, steep, covered with inches of leaves and treacherous fun)
    11/5 4.0 @ 12:30 recovery run plus .5 walk on the park trail

@lporter229 and @Stoshew71 that is my dilemma--I want a 10 mile long run (eventually) on a 25-mile week, lol! I *am* getting faster and faster, especially on the treadmill. I think there will come a point soon where a 30 mile week won't feel like I do nothing but run all the time. So maybe I need to wait until I get to that point to increase my long run to 10 miles?

exercise.png

Oh treadmill. I could never do more than 15 weekly miles on a treadmill. 4 miles per day is my limit. Actually I did reach 4.5 miles but that was psychologically tougher to handle. I decided to get off the treadmill before I started to seriously got to the higher mileages. It's much easier believe me to increase those miles outside than on the treadmill.
  • lporter229
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays I just went back and re-read your posts in this thread to make sure we were on the same page. There are many different schools of thought regarding the long run. While I agree that it is ideal that it should not be more than 25-30% of your total mileage, I also think that most people running their first HM never actually get to a volume of 30 mpw, so you have to decide which is more important, one long run, or an overall higher volume. It really comes down to whether you are running your long run for the physical or mental benefits. Most people looking to do their first HM find that going into the race without having run at least one 10 mile run is really scary. Also, you want to have some experience at running over 90 minutes because adaptations are taking place at that point that you don't get from shorter distances.

Anyway, it doesn't sound to me like this is much of an issue for you because you are close to that mileage now anyway. Just keep doing what you are doing and slowly increasing your weekly mileage along with a slight increase in your long run. You are in a good spot because you have plenty of time to get to 10 miles with the weekly base mileage to back it up.

@Stoshew71 I did read the links and I have seen the video. I get it. While I think this is all good info, my point is that there is a mental component of running that can't be ignored either, and this is especially true for runners hitting a distance for the first time. That is where the importance of the longer run comes in. I am not by any means saying that everyone training for a marathon needs to have 20 mile training runs. But I think that first time runners really benefit from them, especially where speed is not going to be the main focus of the race.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I recovered from my cold by Halloween and spent the next four days babysitting two gran-babies. Was able to get a good walk in with them on Tuesday. Decided to do my long run today and the cooler weather feels so good. I love removing the layers as I progress through the miles. IT started to give me issues in between miles 5 and 6, so I walked most of the remaining distance home. Foam roller, stretches, and yoga tomorrow, hope that helps.

So many pages to catch up on.

Nov 3 - 4.73 walking
    Nov 5 - 7.00

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays I just went back and re-read your posts in this thread to make sure we were on the same page. There are many different schools of thought regarding the long run. While I agree that it is ideal that it should not be more than 25-30% of your total mileage, I also think that most people running their first HM never actually get to a volume of 30 mpw, so you have to decide which is more important, one long run, or an overall higher volume. It really comes down to whether you are running your long run for the physical or mental benefits. Most people looking to do their first HM find that going into the race without having run at least one 10 mile run is really scary. Also, you want to have some experience at running over 90 minutes because adaptations are taking place at that point that you don't get from shorter distances.

Anyway, it doesn't sound to me like this is much of an issue for you because you are close to that mileage now anyway. Just keep doing what you are doing and slowly increasing your weekly mileage along with a slight increase in your long run. You are in a good spot because you have plenty of time to get to 10 miles with the weekly base mileage to back it up.

@Stoshew71 I did read the links and I have seen the video. I get it. While I think this is all good info, my point is that there is a mental component of running that can't be ignored either, and this is especially true for runners hitting a distance for the first time. That is where the importance of the longer run comes in. I am not by any means saying that everyone training for a marathon needs to have 20 mile training runs. But I think that first time runners really benefit from them, especially where speed is not going to be the main focus of the race.

I agree that 90 minutes is the minimum to strive for to make those adaptions (it stresses the fat burning harmones). The more often you can do 90+ minute long runs, the better you become as a fat burner which is important because preserving your glycogen becomes a factor for longer distances. But it has to be done consistently to allow those adaptions to be made. Running consistently for weeks on end where your long run goes over 35% of weekly miles is just asking for overuse injuries. I seen too many stress fractures and other injuries in my running group from people building up their long runs heavier than the rest of their weekly workouts. It may be ok for a few weeks but then it will haunt you in the long run (pun intended).

And yes the 20 miler is a big mental boost. I would just say be careful. I am not a big advocate in pushing someone into a marathon if they are not ready for one.

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My shoes are super cheap L.A. Gear :D

Goal for month: 60

11/01: None
    11/02: Didn’t do any yesterday but I got in a respectable 3.2 today.
    11/03: No run, a little over an hour of mini-cycle in my cube
    11/04: No run
    11/05: Not a lot of time this morning but I did get in 2.9.

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

And yes the 20 miler is a big mental boost. I would just say be careful. I am not a big advocate in pushing someone into a marathon if they are not ready for one.

Amen! ;)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Oh treadmill. I could never do more than 15 weekly miles on a treadmill. 4 miles per day is my limit. Actually I did reach 4.5 miles but that was psychologically tougher to handle. I decided to get off the treadmill before I started to seriously got to the higher mileages. It's much easier believe me to increase those miles outside than on the treadmill.

I usually do my long run (and at least two other runs) outside and on a trail--my treadmill days are on the days I'm already in the gym for strength training, or if the weather is not good. I started out training exclusively on the treadmill, but it is definitely better outside for distance. For speed, though, I do like the consistency I get on the treadmill, and speed runs are usually short runs for me (3 miles). The only way I do a long run on the treadmill is if there is a good movie on in the gym cinema!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    Options

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I think that a 30 mpw week isn't that far away for me, so that should be my first goal, rather than increasing my long run. When I get there, I'll still have time to get up to a 10-miler with at least a month or more to spare before the half.

And because I'm doing my long runs on trails where my speed is anywhere from 12:30-16 mm, I'm already out there running for 90 minutes to 2 hours. I need to add in a few street runs and see how long it takes me to do my 8 mile long run.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Finally landed a spot for Ironman Florida next November via their ready to race package this morning. Glad I checked out social media to learn about that route, as I'm racing during the regular on-sale time on Sunday, the race usually sells out in an hour or two, and I have friends in Augusta I can visit when doing the mandated package purchase of the IM Augusta 70.3. No dreams of qualifying for Kona via that race, as only 50 spots are available (vs. 2500 competitors), but I'll worry about crossing that bridge after qualifying for Boston. That'll up my planned 2016 marathon count to 3 - and hopefully get my fitness ready for doing a BQ attempt in 2017.

Got in 6 hot & muggy miles last light with a neighbor who is joining me for the rock & roll race in vegas (but just doing the 10K), and he seems to be getting more comfortable with the distance.

Also, while in spendthrift mode, with all of the shoe talk, I found a pair of Cumulus 16 lite shows for $65, so I snagged them via amazon last night, as they'll be perfect for running down the Las Vegas strip at night in a week and a half.

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - 4 miles
    11/3 - 9 miles
    11/4 - 6 miles

Total: 23 miles
    Target: 220 miles
    Remaining: 197 miles
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So busy, am gonna flip! Well, not that bad, I feel lucky doing what I like, but omg how busy it gets sometimes! But, I managed to get a run.

11/1 4.71 miles
    11/2 no run—elliptical for an hour though!
    11/3 5.27 miles — lake path. here are a couple of pictures!
    11/4 no run--elliptical for an hour.
    11/5 4 miles--nice run, but my left calf decided to go crazy today for some reason! I did finish my run, although the last mile was painful, like a cramp, but not fully :(

exercise.png
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Today's run was bad all around. I was on the treadmill, kept getting the urge to go to the bathroom and my legs felt like lead. They didn't hurt at all, just felt heavy and tired. I planned on running 6 miles today and made it just over 3 1/2.

11/01: 6.19
    11/03: 4.7
    11/05: 3.7

exercise.png

ETA: @shanaber reminded me of a question I had for everyone... is there a target HR I should be aiming for during my runs? Today I was between 145-147 most of the time and was told that was pretty high. Some runs my HR is around 135 and others it's above 150. Until now, I haven't paid much attention to it.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    less than 2km in and I tripped on the sidewalk and fell hard. I shook it off and kept going. When I got home I realize my running tights were ripped and covered in blood. Yay for running in the dark.

Hope you are ok! I fell in a hole yesterday and thought I had sprained my ankle for sure, though it feels good today. Hope you're not too sore.