November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    b26mfoe7qja2.jpg

love it! I'm definitely a runner too! True on about 99% of them. I recently had to reorganize my dresser to make a sports bra drawer, running tops drawer, and running bottoms drawer. It was a little shocking to see the massive pile on my bed. I need to change my username. :wink:

9voice9 wrote: »
    I know I'm looking for sanity in the wrong place (hello, my fellow addicts!), but having completed *one* 10K, I'm thinking about putting the Peachtree Road Race (Atlanta) on my calendar for next year. My time for that race would (assuming no change between now and then) put me in wave J or K, so not entirely at the end of the pack.
    Someone please tell me that I should rethink.... :wink:

LOL - This is like asking my dog "do you think I should give you a treat?" Yes! Go for it!

Going to run the next 4 days in a row so decided I would rest today. Can't bike on the weekend like I usually do because I have to be at school both days for different events. Good news is I can leave at sunrise instead of my normal 4:30 am runs. Bad news is I then have to go to school. But at least I will be feeling good!

Nov 1 - rest
    Nov 2 - 3.2
    Nov 3 - 4.3
    Nov 4 - strength training
    Nov 5 - rest

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    11/1: 22 miles LR
    11/2: 5 miles recovery style
    11/3: XT: 15 miles indoor bike
    11/4: 10 miles
    11/5: 7 miles tempo run

Another gorgeous morning for a run. This was my last actual workout before the Philly marathon (2.5 weeks to go!), and it couldn't have gone better. Started with a 9 minute warm-up mile, then paced 7:45 for 6 miles (splits 7:41, 7:35, 7:53, 8:05, 7:57, 7:14). Cool down was off the clock ;) Given that my marathon goal pace is 8:05, feeling strong running splits like that is quite comforting. I know I can hold that pace for 13.1, so we'll see how I fare for 26.2!

44/150

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

f98dabc8fba3992cf93652e93d3eb968.jpg
    it's funny because its true

exercise.png

1-0 miles
    2-3.72 miles
    3-4.86 miles-I think. Phone restarted during my run
    4-rest day
    5-sick day. was supposed to do another 4.5 but I have a hacking cough that makes breathing hard. Head colds I can run with; chest colds, not so much
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    In for 40 this month.

11/2 - 3 miles
    11/4 - 3 miles

6/40 complete

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift, @skippygirlsmom, @Stoshew71, @juliet3455, @ddmom0811 - my wife and my counselor friends have a label for each and every one of you: ENABLER!

:wink:

With a field of 65K+ runners, it's a lottery, so it's a bit rough to get in, but I suppose I have to keep adding to the running bucket list. So far, it's:
    * run in Central Park (NYC)
    * Peachtree Road Race
    * maybe run in every state?

Does anyone else have a list?
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Nov: 2.61 miles (walk)
    02-Nov: 4.47 miles; 1.00 miles (walk)
    03-Nov: 4.45 miles;
    04-Nov: <Life Day> but 4.47 miles (dreadmill)
    05-Nov:
    06-Nov:
    07-Nov:
    08-Nov:
    09-Nov:
    10-Nov:
    11-Nov: <Life Day>
    12-Nov:
    13-Nov:
    14-Nov:
    15-Nov:
    16-Nov:
    17-Nov:
    18-Nov: <Life Day>
    19-Nov:
    20-Nov:
    21-Nov:
    22-Nov:
    23-Nov:
    24-Nov:
    25-Nov: <Life Day>
    26-Nov:
    27-Nov:
    28-Nov:
    29-Nov:
    30-Nov:

Upcoming Races:
    14-Nov: FUMC 5K
    05-Dec: Reindeer Run 10K
    16-Jan: Museum of Aviation 5K
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 5K or 10K

Felt a little lazy today, so didn't run before work. Have to make sure to get some miles in at lunchtime, and prob evening too, to keep on pace for 120 this month.

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    11/1-Rest
    11/2-Strength Training
    11/3-5.0 miles
    11/4-3.2 miles+ strength training
    11/5-5.2 miles

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @kristinegift, @skippygirlsmom, @Stoshew71, @juliet3455, @ddmom0811 - my wife and my counselor friends have a label for each and every one of you: ENABLER!

With a field of 65K+ runners, it's a lottery, so it's a bit rough to get in, but I suppose I have to keep adding to the running bucket list. So far, it's:
    * Peachtree Road Race

I am a great running enabler. I just enabler-ed a friend of mine to sign up for her first marathon next spring. Running enabling is the best kind of enabling ;)

I definitely have a running bucket list! At the top is the Chicago Marathon (hoping to time qualify this year and live in/near Chicago next year, so this may be crossed off next fall!), and I really want to get in to the Cherry Blossom 10 miler next spring (but that's a lottery, boo).

Edit to add: Oh and duh Boston. That's what I've had in mind the last couple months of training and what I'm basing my goal paces on. Duh. I'm an idiot today, lol.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Skip and I are running in the Galaxy of Lights 5K in a few weeks and my friend's 3rd grader is going to run with me in the 3K Fun Run the next night. He's in the running club at school and is really loving to run! Can't wait to run with him...well I'm sure just like Skip I'll be running behind him ha ha!

@5beautifuldays that run sounds awesome! The nice thing about running with the trail group on Sunday mornings is I can just follow them, not have to worry about the blazes and watch my feet ha ha. I'm sure a year from now I still won't know where I'm going from watching the ground.

I am pretty sure Jenn is doing the Galaxy of Light. (I think!) lol

Do you do the No Runner Left Behind on Sunday mornings?

@stoshew71 I (and Skip) am doing NRLB but with the HSV half coming up we stopped until after it's over so I don't face plant and get hurt before the half and with sectionals coming up tomorrow her coach was getting nervous she would face plant LOL :smiley:

Emily did it last year too didn't she?

Emily never did NRLB. I did it once in January. I am waiting until after RCM is over to go back.

@stoshew71 I meant Emily did Galaxy of Lights.

Yes, both Emily and Jennifer did the GoL's.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 From http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1469014/do-you-have-a-running-goal/p1
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    5 km Minimum Run distance
    140 km per month. More when ramping up Km's for 10k or HM races.
    Feb 7, 2015 Chilly Willy HM Grande Prairie, AB.
    Feb 21, 2015 Hypothermic HM Edmonton, AB.
    Long Term HM's Iceland ( hey its Iceland), Scotland ( Scotch Tasting ) and Norway ( Family Ties).
    The Chilly Willy and Hypothermic are some of the Most Honest Names I have ever seen for an event.
    Stacking 2 HM's in the winter this close could be a challenge but not looking for a PR just in it to finish it.
  • lporter229
    Options

* Peachtree Road Race

Definitely. And I keep adding to it. Mine are:

Have my mother see me finish a marathon. She lives in Pittsburgh, so that may be the one. Also my hometown.
    Boston, of course. Just qualified with a pretty good cushion, so that *should* happen in 2017.
    NYC, because it's NYC
    Run a race in a foreign country

I ran in Central Park last winter just before Christmas and it was spectacular. I love running in new places when I travel. Make sure you get there. I also love the idea of running in every state. Now I have to go off and count to see where I am at with that one!
  • lporter229
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays -Don't get too hung up on the idea of not having your long run be too high of a % of your weekly total. Unless you are running a huge amount of miles, it's inevitable when you get in the later stages of your training. If you can add a few miles here and there to balance it out, then great, but don't let it stop you from training the way you think is right for you.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It looks like my odometer will be stuck on 5.7 miles for a bit longer. I had hoped to get some running in this week but I've been too busy trying to buy a boat and getting ready for a 4-day pheasant hunting trip this weekend and then will have a 3-day deer hunting trip the following weekend. I can't see any running in my future until perhaps Nov. 14th. At least the rest is for good reason. I'll get in a lot of walking while pheasant hunting but I won't get much of a workout when I'm sitting in a deer stand.

• ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    It looks like my odometer will be stuck on 5.7 miles for a bit longer. I had hoped to get some running in this week but I've been too busy trying to buy a boat and getting ready for a 4-day pheasant hunting trip this weekend and then will have a 3-day deer hunting trip the following weekend. I can't see any running in my future until perhaps Nov. 14th. At least the rest is for good reason. I'll get in a lot of walking while pheasant hunting but I won't get much of a workout when I'm sitting in a deer stand.

I want to go hunting so bad, only got out once last year and this year isn't looking too good either... I envy you right now!!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - rest day / Halloween Hangover
    11/2 - 5.25 miles, 55° at 5:30 a.m. in Iowa! Nuts, but I love it!
    11/3 - 4 miles on indoor track followed by weights / abs. After running mostly outside for six months, you can run pretty fast on a flat, indoor surface.
    11/4 - 5.1 miles, again about 55° at 5:00 a.m. Getting spoiled by the weather!
    11/5 - woke up with some major heel pain...a touch of plantar fasciitis perhaps. Decided to take my rest day early and try again tomorrow.

Upcoming Races:
    2/13/16 - Red Flannel Run 5 Mile
    4/24/16 - Hy-Vee Road Races Half
    6/4/16 - 37th Dam to Dam Half

@7lenny7 - you'll burn a lot of calories staying warm on the deer stand ;-)
    @kristinegift, @skippygirlsmom, @Stoshew71, @juliet3455, @ddmom0811, @kristinegift, @9voice9 - Almost certainly, someone acted as a running enabler for each of us, so it is our moral obligation to do so for others...spread the love!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

I know I'm looking for sanity in the wrong place (hello, my fellow addicts!), but having completed *one* 10K, I'm thinking about putting the Peachtree Road Race (Atlanta) on my calendar for next year. My time for that race would (assuming no change between now and then) put me in wave J or K, so not entirely at the end of the pack.
    Someone please tell me that I should rethink.... :wink:

LOL - This is like asking my dog "do you think I should give you a treat?" Yes! Go for it!

[/url]

Exactly! Races are treats! They have totally become my reward for training, not so much the goal of my training...is that odd?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Hmm. . . lots of miles last month (compared to previous) I should probably do only 80 or so, since there's no 10 mi trail runs or Ragnar on the schedule.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

* Peachtree Road Race

Boston! :-)

Once I can get to Boston, I wouldn't mind doing Chicago, NYCM, and Marine Corps in the future.
    Peachtree is a good one too for someday as well. Maybe Music City - St Jude RnR.

• lporter229
    Options
    Now that I am not currently training for anything, I have decided to introduce strength training with weights back into my normal routine. Generally while training, I try to limit myself (at least my legs) to body weight exercises and yoga with an emphasis on maintaining strength and flexibility to support high mileage running. It has been quite a while since I have done any real weight lifting and boy do I notice the effect on my overall running pace. Maybe my legs are just super tired while they get used to the weights again, or maybe that is why I don't lift when I am training. It's so hard to figure out how to balance strength training with running. Seems like one or the other always have to give. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?