What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    jsafeacct wrote: »
    1) 2) Going to the gym eventually stops being a chore and starts getting fun as you make gains in muscle and losses in weight.

I agree! I look forward to going and seeing where I can improve. Weight loss is my key, but being able to increase the weights in my lifting and being able to do better with spin classes is such a great thing!!
  • cookiechicken1300
    Options
    Having an acne face free of acne for the first time since 3rd grade!
  • yellowboots_19
    yellowboots_19 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Having an acne face free of acne for the first time since 3rd grade!

YES! lol I've noticed that too, since I've been working out and living a healthier lifestyle, my face has been getting clearer

• triddering
    triddering Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started May 1, 2015 with a Vivofit to track steps and sleep, and May 15 with MFP. It has been life changing! Making good food choices, logging all my food, weighing my food and learning portion control while walking daily. Some days are better than others, but I am half way through my weight loss journey. My ultimate goal has been to go from 265 lbs to 140 lbs and lose 125 lbs in 1 year, at approx 10 lbs a month! It was a crazy overwhelming number to begin with and I celebrated each month success. I set up monthly goals and still celebrate even if I don't surpass the goal. I just shoot for more. As I lost more weight, the remaining number is less overwhelming than the original. I am now at 200.6 lbs, have lost 64.4 and have 60.6 to go! If I could do this so far, I can do it again.
    In spite of the joy of the success and hip pain I had being gone now, I now have tail bone pain especially after sitting for a little while and a nerve pinched down to my heal. I have had to go to the chiropractor frequently to adjust my back... Anyone else having issues like that?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    triddering wrote: »
    In spite of the joy of the success and hip pain I had being gone now, I now have tail bone pain especially after sitting for a little while and a nerve pinched down to my heal. I have had to go to the chiropractor frequently to adjust my back... Anyone else having issues like that?

Yes.. I go three days a week. All sorts of weird things happening with my frame as weight redistributes itself.

• triddering
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »

Yes.. I go three days a week. All sorts of weird things happening with my frame as weight redistributes itself.

Thanks for sharing. It makes sense, but I was surprised as I wasn't expecting it. The Dr recommended some crunches variations daily to strengthen the core, that I need to get back to doing...
  • Calmquiet
    Calmquiet Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How being 60 pounds down I don't feel like I have lost any weight and the mirror looks the same to me.
    How cold I am constantly to the point I have to wear gloves around the house.
    How exercise no longer makes me unusually angry.
    How almost no one has seemed to notice or comment on my change in weight.
    How I still fit in a lot of my same clothes though they are looser.
    How much I'm looking forward to losing the last 30 pounds!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    How hard it might be to let people have an opinion, share that opinion (unsolicited), and let them live to see another day.

Amen
  • triddering
    edited November 2015
    Options
    smkuhn1419 wrote: »
    whatang wrote: »
    AngeBee18 wrote: »
    So, over the last couple of weeks, when I've been out running I have had random cars toot at me and people wave. I'm 99% sure they're not people I know, but I'm not very good at recognising people in a flash as they drive past!

My first thought is always "am I having some kind of clothing malfunction?" But nope, not so far *phew*. Previously it was always people shouting insults at the fat woman wobbling down the street. 25kg later and I still feel like that person and can't imagine anyone would want to pay me a 'compliment' while I'm out running, as I still have a way to go before I hit my healthy weight range (~10kgs).

So I guess my 'thing they never tell you about losing weight' is that you'll be perpetually confused by people's reactions as your body changes!
    Since I've started running myself, I've found that whenever I see someone out running while I'm driving I want to toot and shout some encouragement. Especially if, like me, they look like they're kinda new to it and are trying to lose some weight. I want to tell them that I get it, they're awesome, and they should stick with it, I'm right there with them.

I don't though, because that would be weird.

Hahaha I thought I was the only one who wanted to do that. I never did because like you said I thought that'd be too weird. :sweat_smile:

Ha ha ha ha ... Me too... Sometimes if they look at me, and if we both smile, I will give them a thumbs up! At the gym, I am a bit more daring to say "you rock!" to someone I see being consistent and pushing through. If I don't dare say anything, I will at least pray for them.
  • najranforever
    najranforever Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    4mricandy wrote: »
    Stay off the scale!!! The belt is the ultimate motivator!!!

Nice advice ... thankx from my heart
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Being able to sit in the exit row of the plane is much more leg room.

You can't sit there if you need a belt extender.
  • MelimelCoco
    MelimelCoco Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    kuwick1230 wrote: »
    That moment when you pull out your drivers license and realize that for the first time in years you actually weigh less than what's printed on the card!!

They put your weight on your licence really that bloody invasive [/quote]

They don't put your weight on your licence? Where are you from? I'm Canadian, and that's standard. No sarcasm intended, just curious?[/quote]

Im from Pennsylvania and we don't have our weight on ours. My pic is bad enough to show I'm still fat , but so much worse 6 years ago. I wasnt in the sun a lot (bday is in July ) and I wasn't eating well so I looked like a snowman lol[/quote]

I'm from Quebec, Canada. I don't have my weight on my license either. Which province are you from. I'm curious to know where they do that.
  • MelimelCoco
    MelimelCoco Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I've been hearing from a particular person that I need to stop now. That I'm going to disappear. That I don't have to prove anything to anyone anymore so just stop. When I started I was 189.4 & 34.6 BMI. Today I am 151.0 and 27.6 BMI. To get to the high end of the healthy weight/BMI range, I need to weigh 136.4 which will put me at 24.9 BMI. My goal was 125 & 22.9 BMI.

I didn't know how many people would invest themselves in my weight loss, without my knowledge or consent btw, and would feel perfectly ok giving me medical advice that 1) they aren't qualified to give, and 2) don't follow themselves! I also didn't know how hard it was going to be keeping my mouth shut and just saying "Thank you, I appreciate your concern, but my doctor is happy with my progress."

That's a good one! I'll be using that too!
    I don't know why people always think you should stop when they say so. Its my body and I'll decide when to stop when I want too.
    My goal isn't to be skin and bones, its to be toned and thin.
    When people say those things its hard for me to stop thinking about it. I start wondering if they are right. But bottom line, I should listen to myself and people that are qualified to tell me differently.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    kuwick1230 wrote: »
    That moment when you pull out your drivers license and realize that for the first time in years you actually weigh less than what's printed on the card!!

They put your weight on your licence really that bloody invasive

They don't put your weight on your licence? Where are you from? I'm Canadian, and that's standard. No sarcasm intended, just curious?[/quote]

Im from Pennsylvania and we don't have our weight on ours. My pic is bad enough to show I'm still fat , but so much worse 6 years ago. I wasnt in the sun a lot (bday is in July ) and I wasn't eating well so I looked like a snowman lol[/quote]

I'm from Quebec, Canada. I don't have my weight on my license either. Which province are you from. I'm curious to know where they do that.[/quote]

I'm from Alberta.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How cold you get without a thick pad of insulation

You too? I thought I was the only one. I am freezing all. the. time. I just hope my body gets used to it.

honestly this is my biggest concern. even as a large person now im cold ALL THE TIME.

But I've noticed:
    -its really hard to fall off the wagon and try to get back on
    -brings out the fun competitiveness in my bestie and me.
    -I am starting to experience a lot less physical ailments that have been plaguing me for a couple years now
    - the confidence boost. like, yeah you go girl, rock the crap out of those jeans. Mmmm lookin' good hot stuff.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    - the confidence boost. like, yeah you go girl, rock the crap out of those jeans. Mmmm lookin' good hot stuff.

I had someone tell me I was "Rockin those jeans" and then a friend apologised for copying my style.

Really, priceless! You can't pay enough money for that kind of confidence boost!

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I'm from Quebec, Canada. I don't have my weight on my license either. Which province are you from. I'm curious to know where they do that.

They put your weight on your license in Texas.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!