Salt Water Flush?

Options

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    lacking in medical science rational

Ah, glad to see that you brought it back to the reason that no one thinks the salt water cleanse is good idea ;-)
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    isnt drinking salt water like epically terrible for you? like causes dehydration and if you over do it you go a little crazy temporarily? or was that just something i saw in a movie once or idk. it just SOUNDS bad all around IMO, and like it wouldnt really be beneficial except for maybe giving you the *kitten*, which i guess if constipated, isnt a bad thing /shrug
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    tinab190 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried a saltwater flush. It is often part of a master cleanse. I'm not planning to do a master cleanse, but was considering the salt water flush after my daughter did it and told me about it. My only concern is that years ago I used to have fainting problems. I think a saltwater flush could mess with my electrolytes. Just wondering what anybody else's experience with it might be.

Why do you want to do a salt water flush? Your body naturally "flushes" itself on a daily basis via poop, pee, and sweat, and the only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't know why I would get a lot of hate for asking the question. It's a legit question. I eat INCREDIBLY healthy. It's a legitimately curious question. I don't know anything about it or if there are any health benefits. That's WHY I am asking.

It is indeed a good question, but you will get plenty of advice against it because it's a myth that your body needs any type of detox. :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Ah, glad to see that you brought it back to the reason that no one thinks the salt water cleanse is good idea ;-)

Well, bleeding was a common medical and accepted practice at one point.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    can you actually drink salty water? i have gurgled with it but never drank it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm unsure what you're arguing here. Are you claiming that since our knowledge of science and medicine has consistently grown and we know now to reject certain ineffective or dangerous practices that means that we shouldn't attempt to evaluate the wisdom of doing any random thing that someone claims will produce results?
  • SLLRunner
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've managed to lose over 73 lbs slowly and successfully with healthy eating, moderate exercise 3-4 times a week, and occasional indulgences. All while never doing a cleanse. I don't feel a need to justify the question. Was curious about any health benefits of such things. I'm going to not comment any further as I already hear the start of the tone changing.

Good luck and much success to all.

@tinab190, congrats on your weight loss!

Just to give you an idea of what salt water does to you, Epson salt flushes were one of my practices as a 21 year old bulimic. It acted as a quick painful laxative.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I've managed to lose over 73 lbs slowly and successfully with healthy eating, moderate exercise 3-4 times a week, and occasional indulgences. All while never doing a cleanse. I don't feel a need to justify the question. Was curious about any health benefits of such things. I'm going to not comment any further as I already hear the start of the tone changing.

You've been very successful without a cleanse, so why would you add it now? It seems very unpleasant, and maybe a little dangerous with respect to electrolyte balance. Have you consulted a physician?

This. Why, if you have been so successful with the approach you've taken up till now, are you considering something that is a VLCD, potentially dangerous, and most definitely unpleasant?
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

It still is, used today for burns.

OP, I would not cleanse with salt water, or anything else.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Just to give you an idea of what salt water does to you, Epson salt flushes were one of my practices as a 21 year old bulimic. It acted as a quick painful laxative.

wow this is the first time i have heard of this type of thing.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Oh good lord! That sounds scary and painful!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

It still is, used today for burns.

OP, I would not cleanse with salt water, or anything else. Why, I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago, the prep was the worst part by a long shot!

• plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ewww my insides clenched at this. salt water flushes are not good for you. there is nothing that should make a person think it's necessary, either. salt water flushes can be dangerous because it will alter your pH levels and over work your kidneys that are now desperately trying to rid your body of all the salt you've just poured into it. have you ever had a big wave crash over you in the ocean and that salt water got all down your throat and ears and nose? unpleasant, right? even though it's not technically the same thing, why would you do that to your organs?
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    This would be similar to the solution one has to drink as part of the prep for a colonoscopy. I had a colonoscopy last year and I hope never to have one again. Getting the solution down in the time given you was miserable. Then you drink lots of water after the solution. The cleansing begins and you spend the better part of a day on the toilet. They give you an IV fluids during the procedure to keep you hydrated. You are asleep during the colonoscopy and I had no discomfort during or after but before was awful. Why awful, because of the prep-solution! I am so glad my Doctor said that there will likely be another screening procedure approved prior to my next screening being due without the awful PREP!
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

If we do not change to suit the times and wishes of our masters, we are doomed to extinction.

OP. I hope these people have not offended you. Their outright dismissal of alternatives, no matter how lacking in medical science rational, is not a reflection of you. Good luck on your many faceted journey.

I'd like to take a crack at translating this:
    If we do not change to suit the times and wishes of our masters, we are doomed to extinction.
    Hocus pocus that is sort of impressive with its warnings of doom. For those who love broscience, this cues them to make whatever follows part of their repertoire.
    I hope these people have not offended you.
    Those who replied were just worried for the OP's health. It would take a very special kind of person to be offended at that.
    Their outright dismissal of alternatives, no matter how lacking in medical science rational, is not a reflection of you.
    What the OP proposed was less than a good choice, but the OP herself is not stupid. I certainly agree with this.
    Good luck on your many faceted journey.
    Hope you don't die.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Well then, the simple answer is none. Which is the point all of these posts are trying to make.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I haven't and you're going to get a lot of hate for asking this question. I don't think there's anything based in science that says this will help you to your goals but there's always the outliers. Maybe you're one of them. We're all different and what works for one might not work for the next. Good luck!

Absolutely not this ^^^

Your invasion of the body snatchers act is getting a little repetitive now @brower47

Repetitive? I see it more as consistent...and consistency is the key to success.

We're all here for the same reason...

...and that reason is to find out what works for each and every one of our individual bodies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I was also curious about this So I've just looked it up. You drink 1 litre of warm water which contains 1 tablespoon of Himalayan salt. Which I have also just priced up and can be purchased at health shops quite cheaply. It does state that there are no weight loss benefits but may help with gi tract problems, bloating, constipation, IBS Symptoms etc.
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I'm curious to know what it is. Do you drink salt water? Ick.

I've been using Himalayan salt for a few years cuz pink salt looks cool and works well in my salt grinder. I also have red Hawaiian salt and grey Celtic salt. I don't ascribe special properties to any of them; multiple salts is just part of me being a foodie.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I haven't and you're going to get a lot of hate for asking this question. I don't think there's anything based in science that says this will help you to your goals but there's always the outliers. Maybe you're one of them. We're all different and what works for one might not work for the next. Good luck!

Absolutely not this ^^^

Your invasion of the body snatchers act is getting a little repetitive now @brower47

Repetitive? I see it more as consistent...and consistency is the key to success.

We're all here for the same reason...

...and that reason is to find out what works for each and every one of our individual bodies.

Invasion-of-the-Body-Snatchers-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.