Dealing with FOOD DIARY police

Options

Replies

• CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've never had that happen. I occasionally see someone who had chocolate and post "you're my kind of folk". But no negative comments
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I like my chocolate. I've had friends post " I see a lot of chocolate today" which cracks me up, cause they're gonna see chocolate tomorrow too. My feeling is that I never had any long term lasting results from Atkins, south beach, weight watchers, belly busters or any thing that made me fight eating the things I enjoy eating most. So I'm now trying to make my favorite foods fit in my calorie goal, I feel if I succeed then I have a better chance of making my weight loss long term. By the way, when I do hit my goal , I intend to stay on MFP through maintenance and forever probably.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I, like probably many others, used to carry SO much guilt when it comes to food, that there's just no point in trying to bring somebody even more down for their food/calorie choices. Kind of reminds me of bullying, actually.

I think the best diet is obviously the one you're already used to or one that you can carry on doing easily.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a PM about your food OP ;) (read it, I promise you will laugh)
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'd take the diary PM over the PMs hitting on you when your obviously married (my profile pic is my hubby and I) so disrespectful and not at al flattering even if that's their intent.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Also, if it gets rude.... save and forward to the mods. Then take advantage of the ONLY blocking that's available with MFP: message blocking:):):)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I have an open food diary to my "friends". On 2 different occasions I've had people Personal message me to give me advice on what I should be eating. I'm not talking about the comments I've gotten when I complained about hitting a plateau, or when I expressed concern when I went on a sugar binge. To my thinking, if you post something about how you maybe didn't do well one day, you probably just have to accept that people will give food advice. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about someone that PMs me and says by the way...you'll lose weight a lot faster if you follow my crazy diet of the month where I eat bacon & sausage 3 times a day.
    I don't knock anyone for trying something new, it's their health and their life, but my approach is a lot different this time and I don't appreciate people trying to "convert" me.
    My background is that while I've never been BMI overweight, I yoyoed up and down and had trouble staying at my "perfect" weight. I tried most of the latest diets of the month over the years and decided I was going to take my normal eating style and make it work for me with logging. So far it has, as my weight is currently the lowest it's been in 15 years,and I'm only 6 lbs from my goal.
    Am I being overly sensitive, or is this as rude and presumtuous as if feels to me?

I guess for me it would depend on the context. I'd probably just tell them I prefer my plan for a reason and leave it at that. If they continued I'd probably just block or delete them.

On the flip side, if I had someone view my dairy and give me creative input on something I've mentioned struggling with, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. But to me I'd rather comment that I'm glad someone got some chocolate or tacos in and still reached goals.

Really the only time I think it would be appropriate to message someone about their diary is if they showed a consistent pattern of dangerously low calorie consumption or being severely deficient in nutrition in a certain area. And then it would be done with only a show of concern, and a great deal of tact.
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options

CoffeeNCardio. You are so funny. That's why you're one of my favorite friends. You would never tell me what I can and can't eat!!
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    I, like probably many others, used to carry SO much guilt when it comes to food, that there's just no point in trying to bring somebody even more down for their food/calorie choices. Kind of reminds me of bullying, actually.

I think the best diet is obviously the one you're already used to or one that you can carry on doing easily.

The point about bullying. I hadn't thought about that. I guess I did feel like I was kind of bullied or at least I felt intruded upon, if that makes sense.
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    I have an open food diary to my "friends". On 2 different occasions I've had people Personal message me to give me advice on what I should be eating. I'm not talking about the comments I've gotten when I complained about hitting a plateau, or when I expressed concern when I went on a sugar binge. To my thinking, if you post something about how you maybe didn't do well one day, you probably just have to accept that people will give food advice. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about someone that PMs me and says by the way...you'll lose weight a lot faster if you follow my crazy diet of the month where I eat bacon & sausage 3 times a day.
    I don't knock anyone for trying something new, it's their health and their life, but my approach is a lot different this time and I don't appreciate people trying to "convert" me.
    My background is that while I've never been BMI overweight, I yoyoed up and down and had trouble staying at my "perfect" weight. I tried most of the latest diets of the month over the years and decided I was going to take my normal eating style and make it work for me with logging. So far it has, as my weight is currently the lowest it's been in 15 years,and I'm only 6 lbs from my goal.
    Am I being overly sensitive, or is this as rude and presumtuous as if feels to me?

I guess for me it would depend on the context. I'd probably just tell them I prefer my plan for a reason and leave it at that. If they continued I'd probably just block or delete them.

On the flip side, if I had someone view my dairy and give me creative input on something I've mentioned struggling with, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. But to me I'd rather comment that I'm glad someone got some chocolate or tacos in and still reached goals.

Really the only time I think it would be appropriate to message someone about their diary is if they showed a consistent pattern of dangerously low calorie consumption or being severely deficient in nutrition in a certain area. And then it would be done with only a show of concern, and a great deal of tact.

I totally agree about the comment to someone that managed to eat something yummy and still reached goal. We've all seen the saying On MFP "whoever eats the most and loses weight wins".But also what about who eats the yummiest stuff and loses weight wins also.LOL.
    I don't feel there is a one size fits all for making weight loss work here. I know it all boils down to CICO, but how you work out for yourself the way to make that happen is completely individual. But I would never give advice unless a person asked.
    Like when someone posts complaining about how hard this is and they are not even close to eating enough calories, I feel obligated to point it out.
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    I'd take the diary PM over the PMs hitting on you when your obviously married (my profile pic is my hubby and I) so disrespectful and not at al flattering even if that's their intent.

That is horrible. I haven't seen that as badly here as on Facebook. I stopped going on Facebook cause Id have all these messages from men saying heh, I live the next town over from you. When my profile plainly states I'm married.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    This is why my diary is private, even to friends.

yup! Why I do it as well.

Then you'll see the many threads where ppl are dumbfounded as to why ppl 'hide' their food diaries... they can't understand what we are hiding. How about nothing, just privacy from the folks you all are talking about. :D
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited November 2015
    Options

CoffeeNCardio. You are so funny. That's why you're one of my favorite friends. You would never tell me what I can and can't eat!!

Thank you! I do draw the line at like, high octane jet fuel. That's when you'll get worried PM's from me k?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That's weird

Nobody has ever commented on my diary and if they did I would wonder what planet they were on

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    Why would someone give advice that wasn't asked upon? Oh.and those macro nuts… They even criticize if one eats too much or little of a food group! They think they're saving the world.
    However.. i find open diaries a kind gesture and it is so interesting to see how everyone loses weight eating their own way.
  • robertw486
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    That's weird

Nobody has ever commented on my diary and if they did I would wonder what planet they were on

Well now that you bring it up, I have peeked at your diary a few times. The lack of any taco related ingredients concerns me. I think you need help with your diet!
  • robertw486
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Why would someone give advice that wasn't asked upon? Oh.and those macro nuts… They even criticize if one eats too much or little of a food group! They think they're saving the world.
    However.. i find open diaries a kind gesture and it is so interesting to see how everyone loses weight eating their own way.

I think the same about open diaries. I often click profiles just to get new ideas of things I might not have tried or don't use much. The more options I have, the better. And the macro debates will rage for eternity I think. Especially when it comes to protein and carbs!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    That's weird

Well now that you bring it up, I have peeked at your diary a few times. The lack of any taco related ingredients concerns me. I think you need help with your diet!

LOL!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    The person who enjoys ALL the foods & loses weight wins. Game of Diets. I think I'll start a fanfic. 'Dinner is coming...' ~leers~
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options

Well now that you bring it up, I have peeked at your diary a few times. The lack of any taco related ingredients concerns me. I think you need help with your diet! [/quote]

You are obviously destined to be my MFP husband.