edited November 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »
    scolaris wrote: »
    Hahaha you funny
    That's really all I look for in my internet husbands
    That and mad taco skillz
    I'm a fan of rankinsect too. We can arm wrestle for time alone with him in his diary

Hold on here. Husbands?
    I refuse to compete for another mans attention, so no arm wrestling is taking place either. Wait... umm... I mean.... Can you PM me some photos of your tacos?

But I'm still confused by this whole premise...
    People PM other people -actual people on here - to harangue them about what they are or aren't eating???
    ~wrings hands~
    That seems like 50 shades of 'nope'
    And yes I acquired a few weird gentleman friends myself I subsequently had to discard, but being a post menopausal bluestocking of the schoolmarmish persuasion it just seemed kind of funny to me. Like maybe I should check my profile picture and make sure my underpinnings weren't askew seeing as my eye sight isn't all that it once was.
    And now I learn this too is a 'thing'
    Life is full of surprises, isn't it?
    Maybe the diary bullies names should be flagged to an admin. It's not civil behavior.
    steuartcj wrote: »
    Why do you have your food log open for viewing ?

For friends to see. Dah.

I think some of us just don't get it. To me, it makes sense that you closed your diary. I mean having it open and getting offended about feedback (however useless) strikes me as "see but don't comment, unless it's to say yum yum you're doing great rah rah". I don't get what it matters if someone gives you useless advice you're not gonna take anyway

I just deal with things as they come. On the internet you can close the diary, block people, whatever. It's an irritation at times, but easier than real life for the most part. I have two neighbors that are vegan. One is very informed at the details, the other informs himself with YouTube videos and crazy web sites. The informed one never pushes, the one that does crazy month long cleanses tries to tell everyone how he is just super awesome cool dood because he starved himself for a month. It would be easier if he had a block function.

The creepy message thing bugs me though, and it seems to be a trend. It just makes more people paranoid that everyone might have ill intentions. And that sucks.

Hahah block function for real life. You ever have someone keep talking and you wish you could use the volume controls on the remote? :D

At times with the one guy I just went straight for the mute button. And it's not just his diet stuff, it's everything... its' on a YouTube documentary so it must be true!

But it is amazing how some people get on the internet and "disconnect" from common everyday courtesy they would give a real person. At times I think some of them just don't relate that an actual person with their own will is at the other end of the conversation.
  • brandy_losinit
    brandy_losinit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wowza! I am sure they don't realize how rude it is to offer unsolicited opinions. They likely have their best interest in mind for you. This has never happened to me. But i do feel strange when people comment in a post regarding my menu of the day, even though mine is open for viewing.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hahaha you funny
    That and mad taco skillz
    I'm a fan of rankinsect too. We can arm wrestle for time alone with him in his diary

Hold on here. Husbands?
    I refuse to compete for another mans attention, so no arm wrestling is taking place either. Wait... umm... I mean.... Can you PM me some photos of your tacos?

People PM other people -actual people on here - to harangue them about what they are or aren't eating???
    ~wrings hands~
    And yes I acquired a few weird gentleman friends myself I subsequently had to discard, but being a post menopausal bluestocking of the schoolmarmish persuasion it just seemed kind of funny to me. Like maybe I should check my profile picture and make sure my underpinnings weren't askew seeing as my eye sight isn't all that it once was.
    Maybe the diary bullies names should be flagged to an admin. It's not civil behavior.

For friends to see. Dah.

I think some of us just don't get it. To me, it makes sense that you closed your diary. I mean having it open and getting offended about feedback (however useless) strikes me as "see but don't comment, unless it's to say yum yum you're doing great rah rah". I don't get what it matters if someone gives you useless advice you're not gonna take anyway

I just deal with things as they come. On the internet you can close the diary, block people, whatever. It's an irritation at times, but easier than real life for the most part. I have two neighbors that are vegan. One is very informed at the details, the other informs himself with YouTube videos and crazy web sites. The informed one never pushes, the one that does crazy month long cleanses tries to tell everyone how he is just super awesome cool dood because he starved himself for a month. It would be easier if he had a block function.

The creepy message thing bugs me though, and it seems to be a trend. It just makes more people paranoid that everyone might have ill intentions. And that sucks.

Hahah block function for real life. You ever have someone keep talking and you wish you could use the volume controls on the remote? :D
    But it is amazing how some people get on the internet and "disconnect" from common everyday courtesy they would give a real person. At times I think some of them just don't relate that an actual person with their own will is at the other end of the conversation.

Exactly correct, which is why I am so against the term "in real life"; when describing an offline life. As if people online, aren't real.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hahaha you funny
    That and mad taco skillz

Hold on here. Husbands?

~wrings hands~

For friends to see. Dah.

At times with the one guy I just went straight for the mute button. And it's not just his diet stuff, it's everything... its' on a YouTube documentary so it must be true!

Didn't see this edit last night. See now this is the part I disagree with. Tell me of a real life situation where you ask dozens and dozens of people to have access to exactly what you're eating, right down to the gram? To me that would almost be like being a chef on a cooking show and asking for no comments whatsoever on your food. IMO you either have to state up front that you're not interested in such comments on your food, or close your diary. I'm thinking of earlier posts where people are even scared to make suggestions when someone does complain about not feeling full or otherwise struggling. Then what the heck are we on each other's lists, supporting each other for?
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hahaha you funny
    That and mad taco skillz

Hold on here. Husbands?

~wrings hands~

For friends to see. Dah.

I have a theory that they finally get to say what's on their minds, without a filter, on the internet. It meets some primal expressive need. lol*

But you guys are absolutely right about the need to not feel guilty if the urge to delete someone comes up. People who justify such behavior, in my experience, do not accept the feedback that they are actually lacking boundaries. The only way to handle them is to not allow them near.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Didn't see this edit last night. See now this is the part I disagree with. Tell me of a real life situation where you ask dozens and dozens of people to have access to exactly what you're eating, right down to the gram? To me that would almost be like being a chef on a cooking show and asking for no comments whatsoever on your food. IMO you either have to state up front that you're not interested in such comments on your food, or close your diary. I'm thinking of earlier posts where people are even scared to make suggestions when someone does complain about not feeling full or otherwise struggling. Then what the heck are we on each other's lists, supporting each other for?

I agree with you there, as I was one of the people who posted about how I was afraid of hurting someone's feelings by commenting about anything relating to their diary. To shame people for their food choices are one thing, but to see things that are obvious issues are another. I'm not going to act like I've never viewed someone's diary and wanted to send them a message like "Hey, are you truly only eating 800 calories and burning off 1000?" This site isn't Facebook and I'm not simply here to comment or like a status. I'm here to help people on their journey. People have requested me because they can tell from my progress and my photos that I know what the heck I'm doing; one of my friends hit a plateau in the summer and I gave her some advice and she's lost 50 pounds since then. Seeing progress like that for my friends makes me truly happy for them. I get disheartened when I see time after time people on the boards or on my friends list saying they've stalled or binged when I know steps they can take to fix the issue. I know some friends I can message easily and others I have to get a feel for how they react to things.

There are two sides to this situation, though. One is that some friends will make inappropriate comments about what you eat. "French fries, really? That's a lot of chocolate!" etc. That's wrong and should not occur without a good reason. For example, if the same friend later posts a status about how they keep gaining weight and you're just like "Hmm, maybe you're not logging properly. Maybe you're underestimating those snacks." However, the other side of it is that I feel some people get touchy about their diaries because they damn well know they aren't doing what they're supposed to whether it's inaccurate logging to make their numbers, consistently eating foods that aren't nutrient dense and then binging, etc. The whole point is that making comments on it is contingent upon whether or not that friend posts a status wondering where they went wrong. Other than that, all I do is keep my opinions to myself or delete that friend.
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Personaly I've experienced this first hand. I felt that that I was caught off guard. When I looked at theirs, ha ha! It was private. This is why mine is too. We need more genuine members with a show of respect and support.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    ~wrings hands~

Unsolicited offers of advice does not rise to the level of bullying. Also, there is sufficient self help available that one does not need to involve an admin:

1. Unfriend people who offer unwanted advice. I'd warn them once first.
    2. Make your diary private, or chose the share using a key option with select people.

Now if one were getting hate speech type messages, sure, involve an admin.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ~wrings hands~

Unsolicited offers of advice does not rise to the level of bullying. Also, there is sufficient self help available that one does not need to involve an admin:

1. Unfriend people who offer unwanted advice. I'd warn them once first.
    2. Make your diary private, or chose the share using a key option with select people.

Now if one were getting hate speech type messages, sure, involve an admin.

Agreed.

• pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    125goals wrote: »
    Me being me, my first thought would be that they are just trying to help, give me some suggestions- if they are private messaging me it's just probably important to them that I read their message because they think their suggestion is golden and can really benefit me, that's all. It is myfitnesspal after all and isn't that we add people as friends? To help each other out with suggestions ect? I wouldn't think off the bat that these people are being nasty to me.

Not saying you're not entitled to how you feel, just got a different view on it.

That's not why I add people as friends. I add people that I connect with in the forums, or that are also on mutual friends lists. Most of my friends are because of common personality types (sarcastic sense of humor, etc). I find many of them very supportive and motivational, but unless I ask them for suggestions about something, then no, I don't actually expect them to offer any input on my food choices, my exercise, etc.

Shouldn't be surprised if they do. Its a health and fitness website. That's why mfp has a comment section also, for people to comment under.

Personally, I have Facebook that's for sh*ts and giggles not mfp, I expect people to give me their suggestions....Unless their being rude and demanding, and pushing their views on me wouldn't feel any type of way.

Meh - I think we are just having different MFP experiences. If I need help, I will ask for it, and I will get it - the people on my friends list are extremely knowledgeable about diet, exercise, health, etc and many of them have been astoundingly successful. But I'm doing fine, and they know it. So they aren't going to tell me that I shouldn't have had a piece of chocolate after lunch because it might hinder my goals, because it won't. They aren't going to tell me that I should be weighing my food with a digital scale, because even though that is probably the number one piece of advice that is shared with regards to how to be successful - they know I'm doing ok without it and they know that I know that is something I could do if I wanted to be more accurate. They aren't going to tell me that instead of doing circuit training with light weights I should be lifting heavy things, because they know that I have been considering it but haven't worked myself up to that yet. So no, I wouldn't expect unsolicited advice from any of them. I've been here 1000 days as of today and have yet to get a piece of unwelcome, unsolicited advice. Or any creeper PMs either. Darn, maybe I am doing something wrong!

I actually appreciate the advice, if it's constructive of course and not just flat-out criticizing. Otherwise, what's the point of having your diary open? I'm new to all of this so I appreciate people who've been at this longer than me pointing out ways I could improve. One of my friends pointed out to me that my iron was consistently very low. I reviewed my diary and sure enough, she was right. That mattered to me because when I was younger I was anemic, but I hadn't learned to really look at my macros yet so I hadn't even realized. Now, I take a multi-vitamin every morning so I don't have to worry about the number in MFP, but if she hadn't pointed it out I probably wouldn't have ever realized on my own.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think we all have our own way to be successful in our weight loss journey. When you find a successful way of eating you are so happy and enthusiast about it you want to share it with the whole word.. it might not be with the idea of converting anyone but just passing on the info to someone else. Hey BTW here is what I do and I find it easy to follow and I got positive results. It might or might not be a good option for you but at least you know it works for some people. I had friends comment like you said and I think they just tried to share their own experience just in case I could benefit from it. I wouldn't delete. I might not want to adopt their diet but I think if they took time to pm me they are friends that care and they are worth keeping
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It would be easier if he had a block function.

16tfs2b6ilx8.jpg

You made me think of this:)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Good advice everybody!
    And YES, I ate steaming hot hand cut organic potato chips off a food truck tonight. They were glorious! Have at me! ;-)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Good advice everybody!
    And YES, I ate steaming hot hand cut organic potato chips off a food truck tonight. They were glorious! Have at me! ;-)

If they weren't with tacos... well I'm not sure things are going to work out! :)

Sometimes I either eat light or "bank" some exercise calories to hit the food trucks at a local brewery. Well worth it every time!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    They were with POSOLE.... Going taco free tonight... Sowing my wild oats...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Me being me, my first thought would be that they are just trying to help, give me some suggestions- if they are private messaging me it's just probably important to them that I read their message because they think their suggestion is golden and can really benefit me, that's all. It is myfitnesspal after all and isn't that we add people as friends? To help each other out with suggestions ect? I wouldn't think off the bat that these people are being nasty to me.

Not saying you're not entitled to how you feel, just got a different view on it.

That's not why I add people as friends. I add people that I connect with in the forums, or that are also on mutual friends lists. Most of my friends are because of common personality types (sarcastic sense of humor, etc). I find many of them very supportive and motivational, but unless I ask them for suggestions about something, then no, I don't actually expect them to offer any input on my food choices, my exercise, etc.

Shouldn't be surprised if they do. Its a health and fitness website. That's why mfp has a comment section also, for people to comment under.

Personally, I have Facebook that's for sh*ts and giggles not mfp, I expect people to give me their suggestions....Unless their being rude and demanding, and pushing their views on me wouldn't feel any type of way.

Meh - I think we are just having different MFP experiences. If I need help, I will ask for it, and I will get it - the people on my friends list are extremely knowledgeable about diet, exercise, health, etc and many of them have been astoundingly successful. But I'm doing fine, and they know it. So they aren't going to tell me that I shouldn't have had a piece of chocolate after lunch because it might hinder my goals, because it won't. They aren't going to tell me that I should be weighing my food with a digital scale, because even though that is probably the number one piece of advice that is shared with regards to how to be successful - they know I'm doing ok without it and they know that I know that is something I could do if I wanted to be more accurate. They aren't going to tell me that instead of doing circuit training with light weights I should be lifting heavy things, because they know that I have been considering it but haven't worked myself up to that yet. So no, I wouldn't expect unsolicited advice from any of them. I've been here 1000 days as of today and have yet to get a piece of unwelcome, unsolicited advice. Or any creeper PMs either. Darn, maybe I am doing something wrong!

I actually appreciate the advice, if it's constructive of course and not just flat-out criticizing. Otherwise, what's the point of having your diary open? I'm new to all of this so I appreciate people who've been at this longer than me pointing out ways I could improve. One of my friends pointed out to me that my iron was consistently very low. I reviewed my diary and sure enough, she was right. That mattered to me because when I was younger I was anemic, but I hadn't learned to really look at my macros yet so I hadn't even realized. Now, I take a multi-vitamin every morning so I don't have to worry about the number in MFP, but if she hadn't pointed it out I probably wouldn't have ever realized on my own.

The advice you got sounds constructive and helpful and probably tactfully worded. It's the "you sure all that chocolate is a good idea?" Kind of passive aggressive posts that I think the OP is referring to.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I have been known to make a comment if I see a trend of eating way too little. I commented on a friends post the other day because the only food she had eaten for the entire day was a salad with no dressing and a few snapea crisps. The rest of her calories were various supplements. I had an eating disorder as a teenager and that just scares me. Itherw
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    So... Is this like one of those "things that make you irrationally angry" threads? It's just a food/diet suggestion on a diet and exercise website, so...

I don't walk up to people in a restaurant and tell them what to eat. Should I? It's just rude.

That's different.

How? It's no different. Unless someone asks for your advice beforehand, it's exactly the same.

It's different because you are "friends" here who have become friends for a mutual goal of being healthier. In a restaurant, they are strangers and you have no idea whether they care about their health or not. Now, if someone who isn't a friend finds my diary and makes a comment, that's completely different.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Every once and awhile I'll get those comments as well. But I know what I'm doing so I usually ignore them. I leave my diary open to friends because I do have some friends in real life on here that are always curious how I stay so fit and have a treat every once and awhile.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    For me, the purpose of having an open food diary is that it gives me just a little bit of extra motivation if I know people will be looking. I only really look at other people's food diaries because it gives me ideas. If I do see something off, (for example, very low calorie intake or very limited fruit or veg,) I sometimes comment, but try to make it as positive as possible, and clear that it's just a friendly suggestion and not "policing".