Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    bunnyxhime wrote: »
    @HanamiDango your lunches look delicious! What kind of breading did you use for the chicken strips?
    @bri170lb hope you're having fun bentoing! ^__^
    @madiao Your lunch...it's so beautiful @__@ Love the look, authentic-Japanese choices, and your tamagoyaki is pretty~
    Thank you, I used panko for the breading with the method from Just One Cookbook website, the using the toasting the crumbs in a pan. I skip the oil and just toast the crumbs.
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    @HanamiDango, those croquettes look amazeballs! Do you have a recipe?

I bet my buttons they're the Baked Korokke from Just one cookbook
    Thank you for answering for me, that is correct. ^_^

Well yours look exactly like the ones on the recipe picture XD. I've been meaning to get around to making those. I better hop too it soon.
  • nixology
    nixology Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My Babi Bento was packed with vegetable curry, sambal rice, egg and oranges today.p3qxl465vi3x.jpg
  • mangrothian
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Today I have curry soba with a seaweed salad mixed through (the curry sauce is underneath the soba I swear), veg and chicken cooked in bulgogi sauce. Came up to 500cals exactly ^_^
    cr6i6sfrhqbp.jpeg
    I'm also kind of tempted to take it all out of the boxes and mix everything together at lunchtime. Guess we'll find out!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have been lurking for some time as I have not been really Bento-ing for a while. I want to get back to it now with a schedule change. I have questions for the folks that know Asian food...I bought Sushi Nori at the grocery store, mind you I have never even had Sushi because what I have seen has gluten and I can't have it. 1) Do you have to prepare it in any way or just use it out of the package for sushi? 2) can I make homemade SeaSnax out of it?
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    Hi all, I have been lurking for some time as I have not been really Bento-ing for a while. I want to get back to it now with a schedule change. I have questions for the folks that know Asian food...I bought Sushi Nori at the grocery store, mind you I have never even had Sushi because what I have seen has gluten and I can't have it. 1) Do you have to prepare it in any way or just use it out of the package for sushi? 2) can I make homemade SeaSnax out of it?

I actually toast it a bit over an open stove burner before making sushi with it, but I don't think you *have* to do anything special. I had read that in one of my sushi cookbooks that the author likes the toasted taste. When I've over toasted them, they became like SeaSnacks, but maybe the oven would be better for that. It's pretty easy to catch them on fire, not that I would know anything about that :innocent:
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Today's bento... Chicken leg, coleslaw, gherkins, mac nuts and babybel cheese. xbcvkf9gooei.jpg
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »

I don't do anything to prep mine. Not familiar with SeaSnax, so I can't comment there. (But if you want to just nom a piece down, it's a pretty tasty little snack) :)
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    to the people who always seem to have shaped carrots or over veggies/ fruits

are you using some kind of cookie cutter like tool?

and is it resulting in lots of excess waste? or are you still using the cutaway parts?
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    to the people who always seem to have shaped carrots or over veggies/ fruits

are you using some kind of cookie cutter like tool?

and is it resulting in lots of excess waste? or are you still using the cutaway parts?

I purposely buy carrots that are close to the same diameter as my cutters to reduce it, but yes there is waste. A few of us do different things with the scraps; some out it in soup, I add it to my nights salad if I'm having one or feed them to my dogs since they get some fresh veg with their normal food every night anyway.

Yesterday's bento: rice veg and dumplings. I used one of my shapers and rolled the rice in nori (which is usually left plain. Too lazy to toast it)
    5ohxaq4x33hk.jpeg
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    so is it essentially a cookie cutter type tool you use?
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    so is it essentially a cookie cutter type tool you use?

Yes. Here's an example of a set on Amazon.
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    cool
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Yet again no bento for me today. I brought leftover chicken and dumplings since it's supposed to snow today. But I already packed some leftovers into a big tier for tomorrow; just gotta add some fruit or something to the small tier tonight.
  • mangrothian
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yet again no bento for me today. I brought leftover chicken and dumplings since it's supposed to snow today. But I already packed some leftovers into a big tier for tomorrow; just gotta add some fruit or something to the small tier tonight.

Don't worry no bento here either. I put a pack of frozen rice in my lunch bag this morning with a raw egg (in a protective container) and a little furikake shaker and that's it. I picked up a bagged salad on my way into work, and that's it. I plan on heating up the rice in the microwave and then stirring the egg through the rice to cook it at lunchtime.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    No bentos from me but finally have a couple of days off. Today is laundry and tomorrow will be grocery shopping so I can hit up the asian grocery store along with the outlet one and get supplies. Should have some in the coming work week (as my work week is Wednesday-Sunday on the current set of schedules).

As for cutters, I happen to have some cake decorating supplies. Most of mine are for making fondant and gum paste flowers but they have come in handy for the bentos too as I don't have the best kitchen or space for the cake decorating hobby (plus I can't eat cake all the time, unfortunately). They are nice and small compared to some cookie cutters, though they make pretty small cookie ones too I'm sure. And for the leftover bits, I still eat them. They sit on the bottom of the bento with the pretty flowers and such on top, if I haven't eaten them all while making them, though have to count it all in the end to stay on track.
  • bluefish86
    Options
    Today's bento... Leftover coleslaw, gherkins, mac nuts and a babybel cheese. Celery sticks and pâté not pictured.k9sencaa8vzt.jpg
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    I lied, I brought more chicken and dumplings today b/c it's cold and wet outside from snow last night/this morning. Maybe bento tomorrow.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I lied, I brought more chicken and dumplings today b/c it's cold and wet outside from snow last night/this morning. Maybe bento tomorrow.
    Heehee, snow (I've never seen snow, so the concept is a bit foreign to me). You get snow and for me it's going to be 34c tomorrow and 39c on Friday. Can we mix our weather and get a happy medium?

No bento for me today either. I got home late and had a 'dilligaf' moment. Supermarket Greek salad and some smoked salmon for me. The little bit of cheese in the salad is about all I can eat, and I'm gonna savour every bite.
  • bluefish86
    Options
    Today's bento... Salad leaves and coleslaw with roasted pork and sriracha, mac nuts and babybel cheese. op2oy9el34rp.jpg
  • nixology
    nixology Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bearly Bento went to work with me today packed with my Dagwood burger. Itsa brie, bacon, caramelised red onions and sage burger with strawberries and oranges for dessert.

5wdc4gx72qb2.jpg
    ny443my4ne0f.jpg