10 day green smoothie cleanse

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    I have been a member of MFP for around 4 years. I cant tell you how many, many times I have seen some sort of version on these boards about how someone wanted to do a detox/cleanse. Here is how it plays out almost every single time.
    1. Person posts they are looking for buddies to do the ### cleanse. They need to get rid of the junk in their bodies and want to kickstart their diet.
    2. Someone responds by asking what it is they want to cleanse out. Someone (wisely) attaches a link to a previous thread," looking for a detox."
    3. Original person posting gets defensive and tells everyone to get off their post, they didnt ask for advice.
    4. One or two people jump in, saying they will join up and that everyone else are a bunch of meanies.
    5. Original person ignores all that people who are just being honest and have been successful at weight loss and just might know what they are talking about.
    6. Original poster is never heard from again and doesn't lose any weight.
    I post this, not to sound mean to the OP on this, it's just that I wish, just once this would play out differently, with you actually listening to people, who are only trying to help. Cleanses and detoxes are completely unnecessary for weight loss.

<3
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    So you're only seeking reinforcement of your existing confirmation bias?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    What will you eat when you are done with the 'cleanse'?
    You won't have learned anything new, so you will go back to your old eating habits which are the reason you gained weight in the first place.
    You will regain the water weight you lost with the 'cleanse', and continue to gain weight as you were doing with your old eating habits.
    Or, you can try something new: learn to eat a new way. Eat less, follow a calorie deficit so that your body begins to burn its fat stores and you begin to lose weight. You will still be eating the foods you like, just smaller portions, and learning to balance them in a better way. Enjoy long term success.
    You'll also be allowing your body to work naturally, the way it is supposed to. Liver cleanses, kidneys filter, GI tract runs immunity. You will feel better and look better.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It's nice to know that even if I take a break from the forums, I can come back and immediately be greeted by an OP looking for support on a cleanse. Never change, MFP :)

OP, if you're looking for a place where you won't find objections to cleanses or objections to any other fad diet you're looking for, check out groups... They're a bit less divisive in nature. However, I feel like I should add that, for the most part, individuals on forums responding to posts (whether it's your post or someone else's) do so to offer help. There are a TON of users here who have either been where you have been and have learned from trial and error, users who have a medical background, or users who have done their research.

MFP users are kinda like those friends who tell you when you look hideous in an outfit - might not be exactly what you WANT to hear, but it's much needed.

And if you don't want to hear it, there might be other members who come to the forums and are at risk of picking up on horrible advise (i.e. cleanses and detoxes).

A cleanse isn't necessary and there is no "quick fix". OP, you say you need to lose 60 pounds. Keep in mind that you didn't gain the 60 pounds overnight. You're not going to lose it all overnight, either.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    cleanses do nothing - just eat well
    leave processed food alone for a full 10 days

So cleanses do nothing but you're advising a processed food cleanse, instead? What happens after "a full 10 days?"
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of MFP for around 4 years. I cant tell you how many, many times I have seen some sort of version on these boards about how someone wanted to do a detox/cleanse. Here is how it plays out almost every single time.
    1. Person posts they are looking for buddies to do the ### cleanse. They need to get rid of the junk in their bodies and want to kickstart their diet.
    2. Someone responds by asking what it is they want to cleanse out. Someone (wisely) attaches a link to a previous thread," looking for a detox."
    3. Original person posting gets defensive and tells everyone to get off their post, they didnt ask for advice.
    4. One or two people jump in, saying they will join up and that everyone else are a bunch of meanies.
    5. Original person ignores all that people who are just being honest and have been successful at weight loss and just might know what they are talking about.
    I post this, not to sound mean to the OP on this, it's just that I wish, just once this would play out differently, with you actually listening to people, who are only trying to help. Cleanses and detoxes are completely unnecessary for weight loss.

This! 1,000%!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Correct that cleanses do nothing.

Incorrect to leave processed foods alone for any length of time.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I remember one OP not too long ago who actually listened and decided to not do the cleanse. I should have saved that thread, or at least the closing post, because it is such a rare thing.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options

From excellent to fail in two sentences.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

You should add this to the bottom of the "looking for a detox/cleanse" post since it so succinctly sums up these threads... Love it!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I stopped myself from posting something similar to many follow up posts from the OPs comments, due to the fact that it would have included assumptions.

Not all smoothie type drinks would be VLCD. Quite a few supplement with proteins via Greek yogurt, powders, etc. And the OP also mentioned a version that allows a solid food meal that could be protein rich.

While I have to agree that the "cleanse" part has no basis in science, the OP didn't IMO suggest anything unhealthy or harmful. So really, if going to less whole foods and moving towards a more liquid diet for a period of time helps motivate someone and make them more mindful of their regular diet when they stop the smoothies, I'm fine with it.

Some people can eat solid whole foods and be mindful every day. I was mindful of my chocolate yesterday. But others might use other motivations to keep them on track. Instead of beating someone up over choices, I'm one to view it as an option I might use down the road. I've made some recovery smoothies that were delicious and well up there in calories and nutrition. Between that and fasting (I usually eat on an IF or close to it schedule) I have noticed that certain foods hitting my stomach first after that provoke more belly grumbling and discomfort.

Beyond that I don't want to assume anything. But I think we could do a better job of clearing up any misconceptions without closing the door that all smoothies are harmful diets. I'm sure I could bulk on smoothes if I wanted.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    I stopped myself from posting something similar to many follow up posts from the OPs comments, due to the fact that it would have included assumptions.

Not all smoothie type drinks would be VLCD. Quite a few supplement with proteins via Greek yogurt, powders, etc. And the OP also mentioned a version that allows a solid food meal that could be protein rich.

While I have to agree that the "cleanse" part has no basis in science, the OP didn't IMO suggest anything unhealthy or harmful. So really, if going to less whole foods and moving towards a more liquid diet for a period of time helps motivate someone and make them more mindful of their regular diet when they stop the smoothies, I'm fine with it.

Some people can eat solid whole foods and be mindful every day. I was mindful of my chocolate yesterday. But others might use other motivations to keep them on track. Instead of beating someone up over choices, I'm one to view it as an option I might use down the road. I've made some recovery smoothies that were delicious and well up there in calories and nutrition. Between that and fasting (I usually eat on an IF or close to it schedule) I have noticed that certain foods hitting my stomach first after that provoke more belly grumbling and discomfort.

Beyond that I don't want to assume anything. But I think we could do a better job of clearing up any misconceptions without closing the door that all smoothies are harmful diets. I'm sure I could bulk on smoothes if I wanted.

I don't see where anyone was saying that all smoothies are harmful or are part of a VLCD? I definitely prefer to eat my calories than drink them, but the only part of the OP's and subsequent posts that got called on was the detox/cleanse parts. So I guess I'm not sure what your point is?
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I remember one OP not too long ago who actually listened and decided to not do the cleanse. I should have saved that thread, or at least the closing post, because it is such a rare thing.

I remember that one too! It's great when that happens.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I did her cleanse a few months ago.... it's so hard and you get horrible headaches and have no energy because the calorie content in the shakes so low. Plus the cost of the amount of produce needed was crazy. I gave up on day 5 because unless you have no social life it's too hard to stick to. I couldn't go out with my fiancé to dinner and just sit there and not eat anything because all I could have was a shake. Good luck though!
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    WHY is it so difficult for some people to wrap their head around "burn more calories than you eat and you'll lose weight" mantra?? Is it because we live in a society that values instant results? Lack of patience? Instant gratification? The whole "detox" business is based on ding-a-lings who are willing to part ways easily with their money for pain and suffering! It just doesn't make sense to me...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    WHY is it so difficult for some people to wrap their head around "burn more calories than you eat and you'll lose weight" mantra?? Is it because we live in a society that values instant results? Lack of patience? Instant gratification? The whole "detox" business is based on ding-a-lings who are willing to part ways easily with their money for pain and suffering! It just doesn't make sense to me...

Yes.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There's two different options. You can have a smoothie for each meal or do 2 smoothies and a healthy 3rd meal with chicken or fish and veggies. Look it up 10 day green smoothie cleanse it works and you can lose up to 15 lbs off it.

I tried this after a weekend binge that just left me feeling awful. I needed a way to get myself off the junk. I loved it and by the third day i didnt crave sweets any more or any processed foods whatsoever. I lost 8 lbs in the process. Now i still do a smoothie for lunch every day . I lost the bloat, gas, headaches, body aches and my energy went thru the roof once i was off all processed foods. When i did have some processed junk...the stomach ache was not worth it. As for the people that say dont do it, its not a good idea for weight loss.....I DIDNT do mine for weight loss at all...im ok where im at with weight. I did it to get the processed foods that were making me feel like crap out of my system. that is the only reason i did it and it was well worth it to me. I have never felt better.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I tried this after a weekend binge that just left me feeling awful. I needed a way to get myself off the junk. I loved it and by the third day i didnt crave sweets any more or any processed foods whatsoever. I lost 8 lbs in the process. Now i still do a smoothie for lunch every day . I lost the bloat, gas, headaches, body aches and my energy went thru the roof once i was off all processed foods. When i did have some processed junk...the stomach ache was not worth it. As for the people that say dont do it, its not a good idea for weight loss.....I DIDNT do mine for weight loss at all...im ok where im at with weight. I did it to get the processed foods that were making me feel like crap out of my system. that is the only reason i did it and it was well worth it to me. I have never felt better.
This discussion has been closed.