Options
    Someone's record is skipping....
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    mamadon wrote: »
    I have been a member of MFP for around 4 years. I cant tell you how many, many times I have seen some sort of version on these boards about how someone wanted to do a detox/cleanse. Here is how it plays out almost every single time.
    1. Person posts they are looking for buddies to do the ### cleanse. They need to get rid of the junk in their bodies and want to kickstart their diet.
    2. Someone responds by asking what it is they want to cleanse out. Someone (wisely) attaches a link to a previous thread," looking for a detox."
    3. Original person posting gets defensive and tells everyone to get off their post, they didnt ask for advice.
    4. One or two people jump in, saying they will join up and that everyone else are a bunch of meanies.
    5. Original person ignores all that people who are just being honest and have been successful at weight loss and just might know what they are talking about.
    6. Original poster is never heard from again and doesn't lose any weight.
    I post this, not to sound mean to the OP on this, it's just that I wish, just once this would play out differently, with you actually listening to people, who are only trying to help. Cleanses and detoxes are completely unnecessary for weight loss.

I remember one OP not too long ago who actually listened and decided to not do the cleanse. I should have saved that thread, or at least the closing post, because it is such a rare thing.

I remember that one too! It's great when that happens.

I missed that one. It's good to know, some people do listen.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    So, you did this cleanse before. It made you "want to eat healthy" and you lost weight.

And then what happened?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of MFP for around 4 years. I cant tell you how many, many times I have seen some sort of version on these boards about how someone wanted to do a detox/cleanse. Here is how it plays out almost every single time.
    1. Person posts they are looking for buddies to do the ### cleanse. They need to get rid of the junk in their bodies and want to kickstart their diet.
    2. Someone responds by asking what it is they want to cleanse out. Someone (wisely) attaches a link to a previous thread," looking for a detox."
    3. Original person posting gets defensive and tells everyone to get off their post, they didnt ask for advice.
    4. One or two people jump in, saying they will join up and that everyone else are a bunch of meanies.
    5. Original person ignores all that people who are just being honest and have been successful at weight loss and just might know what they are talking about.
    I post this, not to sound mean to the OP on this, it's just that I wish, just once this would play out differently, with you actually listening to people, who are only trying to help. Cleanses and detoxes are completely unnecessary for weight loss.

I tried this after a weekend binge that just left me feeling awful. I needed a way to get myself off the junk. I loved it and by the third day i didnt crave sweets any more or any processed foods whatsoever. I lost 8 lbs in the process. Now i still do a smoothie for lunch every day . I lost the bloat, gas, headaches, body aches and my energy went thru the roof once i was off all processed foods. When i did have some processed junk...the stomach ache was not worth it. As for the people that say dont do it, its not a good idea for weight loss.....I DIDNT do mine for weight loss at all...im ok where im at with weight. I did it to get the processed foods that were making me feel like crap out of my system. that is the only reason i did it and it was well worth it to me. I have never felt better.

I think the lack of food is making you repeat yourself. ;)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I tried this after a weekend binge that just left me feeling awful. I needed a way to get myself off the junk. I loved it and by the third day i didnt crave sweets any more or any processed foods whatsoever. I lost 8 lbs in the process. Now i still do a smoothie for lunch every day . I lost the bloat, gas, headaches, body aches and my energy went thru the roof once i was off all processed foods. When i did have some processed junk...the stomach ache was not worth it. As for the people that say dont do it, its not a good idea for weight loss.....I DIDNT do mine for weight loss at all...im ok where im at with weight. I did it to get the processed foods that were making me feel like crap out of my system. that is the only reason i did it and it was well worth it to me. I have never felt better.

Your spambot is malfunctioning.
  • shikashik
    shikashik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Ashley and I need to lose like 60lbs. I'm starting my 10 day green smoothie cleanse Wed. Let me know if you are jnterested. I need a support buddy and I'm new to these discussion post
    Hi Ashley, I have don't this cleanse several times. In fact i just finished2 weeks ago. So i am unable to do it with you. There is a huge facebook group with tons on great support. My only suggestion is that you have a plan for what you are going to do after the cleanse. You cannot go back to you old way of eating because you will most certainly put i all back on. Use the cleanse as stepping stone to your final goal and not the end all be all.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    shikashik wrote: »
    Hey I'm Ashley and I need to lose like 60lbs. I'm starting my 10 day green smoothie cleanse Wed. Let me know if you are jnterested. I need a support buddy and I'm new to these discussion post
    Hi Ashley, I have don't this cleanse several times. In fact i just finished2 weeks ago. So i am unable to do it with you. There is a huge facebook group with tons on great support. My only suggestion is that you have a plan for what you are going to do after the cleanse. You cannot go back to you old way of eating because you will most certainly put i all back on. Use the cleanse as stepping stone to your final goal and not the end all be all.
    Why did you need to "cleanse" multiple times?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Why did you need to "cleanse" multiple times?

Maybe because it didn't work the first, second, third, fourth or fifth times? :D "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result".
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    I stopped myself from posting something similar to many follow up posts from the OPs comments, due to the fact that it would have included assumptions.

Not all smoothie type drinks would be VLCD. Quite a few supplement with proteins via Greek yogurt, powders, etc. And the OP also mentioned a version that allows a solid food meal that could be protein rich.

While I have to agree that the "cleanse" part has no basis in science, the OP didn't IMO suggest anything unhealthy or harmful. So really, if going to less whole foods and moving towards a more liquid diet for a period of time helps motivate someone and make them more mindful of their regular diet when they stop the smoothies, I'm fine with it.

Some people can eat solid whole foods and be mindful every day. I was mindful of my chocolate yesterday. But others might use other motivations to keep them on track. Instead of beating someone up over choices, I'm one to view it as an option I might use down the road. I've made some recovery smoothies that were delicious and well up there in calories and nutrition. Between that and fasting (I usually eat on an IF or close to it schedule) I have noticed that certain foods hitting my stomach first after that provoke more belly grumbling and discomfort.

Beyond that I don't want to assume anything. But I think we could do a better job of clearing up any misconceptions without closing the door that all smoothies are harmful diets. I'm sure I could bulk on smoothes if I wanted.

I don't see where anyone was saying that all smoothies are harmful or are part of a VLCD? I definitely prefer to eat my calories than drink them, but the only part of the OP's and subsequent posts that got called on was the detox/cleanse parts. So I guess I'm not sure what your point is?

My point is displayed above, though it doesn't apply to any comments you made yourself @snickerscharlie Now we have people making assumptions for the OP, and others stating the response to those assumptions. Since I almost made the mistake of posting based on assumptions myself, I just posted for a reminder that if people are debating something the OP never said... it's all rather pointless.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I stopped myself from posting something similar to many follow up posts from the OPs comments, due to the fact that it would have included assumptions.

Not all smoothie type drinks would be VLCD. Quite a few supplement with proteins via Greek yogurt, powders, etc. And the OP also mentioned a version that allows a solid food meal that could be protein rich.

While I have to agree that the "cleanse" part has no basis in science, the OP didn't IMO suggest anything unhealthy or harmful. So really, if going to less whole foods and moving towards a more liquid diet for a period of time helps motivate someone and make them more mindful of their regular diet when they stop the smoothies, I'm fine with it.

Some people can eat solid whole foods and be mindful every day. I was mindful of my chocolate yesterday. But others might use other motivations to keep them on track. Instead of beating someone up over choices, I'm one to view it as an option I might use down the road. I've made some recovery smoothies that were delicious and well up there in calories and nutrition. Between that and fasting (I usually eat on an IF or close to it schedule) I have noticed that certain foods hitting my stomach first after that provoke more belly grumbling and discomfort.

Beyond that I don't want to assume anything. But I think we could do a better job of clearing up any misconceptions without closing the door that all smoothies are harmful diets. I'm sure I could bulk on smoothes if I wanted.

I don't see where anyone was saying that all smoothies are harmful or are part of a VLCD? I definitely prefer to eat my calories than drink them, but the only part of the OP's and subsequent posts that got called on was the detox/cleanse parts. So I guess I'm not sure what your point is?

My point is displayed above, though it doesn't apply to any comments you made yourself @snickerscharlie Now we have people making assumptions for the OP, and others stating the response to those assumptions. Since I almost made the mistake of posting based on assumptions myself, I just posted for a reminder that if people are debating something the OP never said... it's all rather pointless.

You made the assumption that she means smoothies based on yogurt.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

You made the assumption that she means smoothies based on yogurt.

There is a thing called quote used quite often here in the forums. You'll have to quote where I made any assumptions. I simply considered that unless I made assumptions, all of us were lacking in facts to really state any absolutes about the OPs intentions or the total calories involved.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Re the bold part: the shakes have no magic, you simply eliminated foods that bothered your tummy. The fact that certain foods bother your tummy points directly to a medical issue, which your doctor needs to be aware of. The only things those shakes cleanse is one's pocketbook because your body cleanses just fine all by itself.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I don't understand why a cleanse would even be necessary when the only requirement to weight loss is to eat calories than you burn. That's it.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I think that was a double edged sword. She said on one page that people were correct and it was a waste of money and time and then something like 2 pages later she said she was going to do it any way. Remember reading the whole thread and being happy that someone "got it" then 2 pages later realising that they didn't.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    This is kind of like a grand slam, at the Super Bowl, during a goal at the World Cup good.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    smdh. People can be so gullible... How about this "cleanse" then: You send me $25, and I'll send you a bottle FULL of dihydrogen monoxide. GUARANTEED to help you cleanse your system of any toxins, and helps you feel full, too! The side effects are limited to excessive urination. However, in it's solid form, it can damage your skin, so be careful!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    smdh. People can be so gullible... How about this "cleanse" then: You send me $25, and I'll send you a bottle FULL of dihydrogen monoxide. GUARANTEED to help you cleanse your system of any toxins, and helps you feel full, too! The side effects are limited to excessive urination. However, in it's solid form, it can damage your skin, so be careful!!

I'll take two, but how do I prevent it from solidifying? :smile:
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I'll take two, but how do I prevent it from solidifying? :smile:

No problem! Just keep it at room temperature and you'll be all set :)
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Can I follow you please! Have you had success? Please share. You sound very genuine and experienced here on MFP, Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.