WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    When we moved to Oregon from California, all the new critters here and there, sometimes puzzled little ol me. By Hammond Marina I told my husband to stop so I could take a picture of a cat drinking from a puddle.

100_1781_zpsxr9jroos.jpg

The cat was not amused as you can plainly see!
    Becca

That's a raccoon to be exact.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    Have a great night everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Evening ladies. have had a really good day. Our rain is over for a couple of days although some cold will settle in for a couple of days now. It is supposed to be down in the upper 20's this weekend. But this is late November so we should expect it. I hate it when they give a 7-10 day forecast and are telling us all about our weather for Thanksgiving weekend. I don't know how they really think they predict weather that is over a week away. Got another present bought today and have narrowed down a list for more. Am doing better than last year, that's for sure. For our daughters my husband lies to give them money. He says they need money more than a gift. I think Christmas gifts are supposed to be for things that they would love to get or do but just don't have the money. We use to give them $500 a piece. Well one is divorced so hers is less and then this year our situation is different so he was planning on giving $400 and $200. Well the divorced daughter has given me a long list of suggestions from Amazon so I think she is saying she wants gifts. I id ask her and she said she would be satisfied with whatever we decide but that is her personality. So Charlie says $100 in gifts and $100 in cash. Well shoot, one of the things on her wish list costs $80! We gave our oldest daughter her money in February when they needed it. That makes a bummer for me knowing all year long that I can't buy her a gift.

Lisa, when you were saying you weren't sure what you were going to do with the warehouse space I immediately thought of Sylvia needing a home for her and her local ceramic artists. Wish you lived closer! The pictures you showed, are they of your living space or the warehouse? The kitties look quite comfy.And that is one huge laptop!

Allison, sorry about you DFIL getting worse. Getting old is just the pits. But he is being well cared for by a lady that loves him and he realizes it. I just hope Tom realizes how much you care for him and he appreciates you for all you do.

Heather, is your son on any transplant list?

I have been thinking about all you out west and the weather. I see Barbie must have been hit and is doing OK.

Pip, you have such wonderful family that thought of helping you in that way. Also his co-workers. That is so thoughtful and will make your house festive for him to recover in. Takes a big load off you shoulders also.

Charlie just got home! So that was 6 hours he was gone, went to 2 different places and no accident. Praise the Lord. The place they spend a lot of time at on Wednesday nights is a problem for him because they only have a one stall mens bathroom. So his buddies did what I did for him one time. They stood outside the ladies restroom so no one would go in. He said he needs to sue! It had two stalls!!! But I was so glad he had a good time. Isn't is weird the things we are so thankful in our older years.

Just read this health plan that God made for seniors.
    Now, listen up!!
    God's plan for aging:
    Most seniors never get enough exercise. In His wisdom God decreed that seniors become forgetful so they would have to search for their glasses, keys and other things thus doing more walking. And God looked down and saw that it was good.
    Then God saw there was another need. In His wisdom He made seniors lose coordination so they would drop things requiring them to bend, reach & stretch. And God looked down and saw that it was good.
    Then God considered the function of bladders and decided seniors would have ad ditional calls of nature requiring more trips to the bathroom, thus providing more exercise. God looked down and saw that it was good.
    So if you find as you age, you are getting up and down more, remember it’s God’s will. It is all in your best interest even though you mutter under your breath.
    Nine Important Facts To Remember As We Grow Older
    #9 Death is the number 1 killer in the world.
    #8 Life is sexually transmitted.
    #7 Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
    #6 Men have 2 motivations: hunger and hanky panky, and they can't tell them apart. If you see a gleam in his eyes, make him a sandwich.
    #5 Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.
    #4 Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital, dying of nothing.
    #3 All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
    #2 In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird, and people take Prozac to make it normal.
    #1 Life is like a jar of jalapeno peppers. What you do today may be a burning issue tomorrow.
    Don't ignore this message. This is your only warning.

Also forgot to mention that different places like Walmart are having as part of the Black Friday sales the Fit Bit flex for $49

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Catching up slowly. At end of page 40

Storm caused some problems. Ice under snow this morning. I made DH get dressed and drive me to work. I know I could have drove myself but preferred not to.

Nice afternoon with lots of sunshine. The weather here is so changeable. Wear a scarf, gloves, winter jacket in the morning and a hoodie in the afternoon. Makes the brain work just to know what to wear. Layering.

Bought my DGS a new series by the author of the Maze Runner series. He is an avid reader so that is his birthday present done. Also bought youngest DGD a Christmas dress.

Busy day at work, training and working on register problems. Tomorrow the stack of paper on my desk gets tackled if all goes well.

-Sharon in Lethbridge, Alberta
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    well I fell asleep around 9 last night and BING was wide awake at 1 a.m., not good as there is alot of stuff to be done today..
    have the sheets in the wash.. dogs have been out..
    My DB was irate and called me~ he is a micro manager and called yelling at me saying to just leave my DFIL alone and stay out of it and if Tom and i get divorced that they could use taking care of DFIL in court.. really? come on now.. if I dont do what I do he would have been gone along time ago..
    I am taking things as they go, I will not sell myself short. so don't you worry..
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Kayla 49- I'm jealous of your rain cuz boy we could sure use some. I didn't mean to boast about our weather of 70's and sunny, ya know up until about the 4th of Nov. it had been really hot, for 3 months, some days 105. We were due for a nice weather patch imho.

Well I throughly enjoyed some retail therapy today. o:) Merry Christmas to me!!! Lol. I found 3 pairs of slacks, 1 shirt, and a pair of shoes :D I would have purchased a pocketbook to if I'd a found one. My wardrobe was definitely lacking before this shopping spree as most of my clothes don't quite fit. Now don't go feeling bad for me as this is a good problem to have when the replacement clothing is a smaller size and all on sale :) I think Black Friday sales have started already.

Decided to borrow a fancy gown from my friend and neighbor for DH's work holiday party on 12/13. The dress is beautiful and amazingly perfect for the dinner cruise on the San Diego Bay. Phew, I think I got things all sorted out now. What a relief to have this organized so next month will be a bit less stressful knowing I have something to wear that fits and is up to date.

Stats for today-11,200 steps

I am working all day Thursday ( today!) and Friday but will fit the gym on Fri.

Welcome to all newbies.
    <3 Rosie

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Rosie - I borrowed a beautiful dress for DH's 70th and it felt great! It's crazy to spend loads of money on a dress for one special occasion. :flowerforyou:

Katla - I do the two starters thing also. Works for me as well as avoiding surplus carbs and fatty dressings. Tomorrow night I will be careful, but I'm not going to deny myself too much. Usually up market restaurants aren't as fattening and filling as the average version. Will have wine to justify the expensive taxis. :laugh: I will book the going one today. Can't believe it's 11 years since we married. :love:

Lisa - Thanks for the photos. Great to see your new adventure taking shape. I love huts and sheds and amazing spaces. <3

Mushroom risotto tonight. With brussels sprouts. <3 Count me in the love'em gang. :laugh:

DH ordered our Christmas wines present to each other last night. Some of them say they will improve until 2024 so we won't be drinking them all at once! ! ! !

Love to all. Heather UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Rosie! Lucky you for finding great new clothes on sale, feels great to be all set.
    Joyce i laughed at the 9 facts about growing older, im gonna have to print that out, #5 is a hoot!
    A good friend of mine is taking care of her dear mom who has alzheimers, really tough road, i am working on a few ways to send her support, too far away to giver her a real break, but am there in spirit and to listen.
    B.p. is still normal, woohoo! And i am adding kettleworx every other day, but man am i sore!
    One week t-day count down staying focussed on the thanks and the giving, not the stress and the bingeing! Cheers to all as we journey along together from so many places with such common kindness, support and understanding <3 karen from ny
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Sharp eyes, Allie, that was my little pallet tucked behind the couch. And the kittens slept with me last night. Not exactly getting them more independent, now is it. :blush: The DH won't put up with that for a minute, he's not a "sleeping with the little animals" kinda guy. So, when I go home this afternoon, I'll add a temporary door to the craft studio (still thinking about that, but I've got every single one of my hubby's power tools, should't be TOO much of an issue). Something we can use to keep the kitties in the front office and warehouse, which is where all their food and their litterbox is.

Wish you didn't have to protect yourself like that, Allie, saving the financial details ahead of Tom's next move. But glad that you are vigilant. Wish, too, the news was better for your DFIL. No comment on your brother's statement, but I, too, don't see how they could use taking care of your DFIL against you in divorce court.

Joyce, the pics above are of the living space and the front office. Per city code, there's not supposed to BE a living space inside the warehouse. The DH and I are hoping to pick up an RV or camper in the spring that we can set up out back and rehab that will be comfier, and having living space outside the warehouse for "security purposes" actually is OK under the city codes. That was the original intent behind buying the warehouse, to have somewhere to stay, so we either have to buy an on-demand water heater and install a good tub/shower combo, or get something to park out back. We have time, though, no hurry.

Pip, my dear heart, I am so sorry about the heat going out! So glad your mom and sis stepped up and sent so much, too... sounds like it may come in handy. Friday's coming fast!

Debating on whether to finish working on the crafty stuff for the fair this Saturday or go work out at the gym and then shower there, since we don't have hot water at the warehouse for some time to come yet. Still thinking about it while my second cup of coffee is burble-snurpling in the tiny Keurig knock-off. :smiley:

Have a good day, my peeps...
    Lisa in West Texas
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Lillian, your holiday plans sound like a lot of fun!

It sure is difficult for me to get back on track after a day of eating without thought. I have been having high fiber oatmeal (10 grams fiber per pack) but find that it doesn't keep me going until lunch. So, this AM I had a high protein breakfast that was low in calories...scrambled egg substitute and one turkey sausage patty.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Sunday!

Thank you Peach!! I hope the holiday will be fun.

Try adding 3 tablespoons of crushed hemp hearts and a cup of berries to your oatmeal. Hemp hearts are high in protein. Maybe that will help you make it lunch time. It will be higher in calories but you won't be snacking in between meals.... just a thought.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    DJ, sorry for the loss of your dear lovely Max. Thinking of you during this difficult time. Hugs and prayers.

• kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    5248.gif
    Debating what I'm going to do today for exercise....hmmmm.....ok....a long Brett Larkin Yoga video.
    I also need to put some thought into the food plan for the day. I need more veggies in the house, so will try to get out to do that. I like the idea of hemp. I add oat bran or ground flax seeds to many things, but hemp sounds like a good addition also.

Off to start my day. Have a good one everyone.
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Lost 4 lbs at this weigh-in. Just need to up my water intake as well as my exercise.

Yeah for the loss!!
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    5248.gif

I like that Good morning ...

Today - home from work - I need to get books done for our museum. We are applying for grants and I have to have the financial statements done...

And hopefully I make some steps or do lots of stretching!! curling starts tonight ...I could be a little stiff tomorrow...lol!!

Take care everyone

Lillian West Central Saskatchewan
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    t2219.gif Jake woke up first this morning so I got some extra sleep and he took the dogs out for their first walk..it will cut into my step count for the day but it was a nice luxury to go straight from bed to breakfast instead of going out first.

:)kimses, we buy a lot of frozen vegetables so there are always vegetables available to add to a meal....also, we buy flax seed to add to shakes and oatmeal.

t113016.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Heather, when is your trip to France planned? I worry about you going right now with all the turmoil. Please be safe!!! (((Hugs))) I hope you both have a wonderful time tomorrow night.

DrKatie, good to see you and hope all is well in your world. (((Hugs)))

Katla, how nice that you welcomed the newbie in yoga class. That can mean so much to someone. (((Hugs)))

Becca, I just want to make sure you are joking about the “cat” you took a picture of? Your mom was beautiful.

Joyce, that is great that Charlie was able to stay out so long without an accident. I love your “God’s Plan for Seniors” and sent it to a few friends. Good for you on getting your Christmas shopping done. Even if you give the girls money maybe you can find just a small token gift to wrap for them? My DD could even find things at Dollar Tree just to have a gift.

Allison, what is your BIL upset about??? They don’t do anything with him, do they?? Even though he has the POA. Good grief!!! And how can they use all your help with your DFIL against you? That sounds basakwards to me. If you didn’t spend the time with him it sounds as if he would have been abandoned in the nursing home. I’m glad you aren’t going to let his rants bother you.(((Hugs)))

Rosi, congrats on the new clothes and smaller sizes. Ain’t life grand??? bleh.gif

Karen, it is nice that we can all support one another as we approach this Thanksgiving and holiday season. Everyone’s support and suggestions are so important to me and I’m sure others as well.

Lisa, I hate that you are making those kitties “rough it” so much when they are used to living the life of Rylie. LOL Are you going to hire a baby sitter for them when you aren’t there? It is nice that they have each other to keep them company. I can’t wait to hear about their first “kill”.

Kimses, I love fresh veggies but always keep plenty of frozen vegetables on hand for when I am out of fresh. To me they are the next best thing.

I’ll shut up about this soon I promise. Last night when I went to bed as I was saying my prayers, I got so sad and started crying and cried myself to sleep. DH is really taking Max’s passing hard too. He was just such a sweet soul and loved being around us, so it’s really weird not having him here. I did get out my silver yesterday and polished it so all that is done well before Thanksgiving. Today or tomorrow I’ll probably make a list of the prep work that I can do the day before. One of my friends has to work until 4:00 on Thanksgiving so we won’t plan to eat until after 5:00. That will give me longer to get everything done without rushing.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :'(DJ, Max will always be with you in your heart and you will probably get teary a lot about him..hold on to the happy memories....someone told me that the only way to avoid the huge sorrow at the death of a pet is to never have one and I'm not willing to make that trade....Jake still gets teary at times about his beloved Shilo who died in 2006

<3 Barbie
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! You miss one day and have six pages to catch up on. I'm sure I missed a lot.

Pip - Glad Kirby is coming home! Hooray!

Becca - I loved your "cat" picture.

Lisa -congrats on getting the warehouse in shape. And your kitties are so sweet!

Penny - you are such a world traveler! I think I may be scared to travel anymore.

Yesterday was a much better day. My son was in a totally good mood, like night and day from where he was the day before. He even cooked dinner for the kids, so I think he was feeling a little better. I spent the day running all over town passing out copies of my power of attorney, making appointments, and talking to the school counselors. I have to fill out a bunch of papers for the kids at the health center before I can get them their flu shots. Last night I took them to gymnastics and the evil exwife was there again. I sure hope she doesn't plan on being there every week.

I asked the oldest if she would be interested in taking a Zumba class with me. I told her I've been wanting to take a class and don't have anybody to go with me. She didn't know what it was, so last night before gymnastics we peeked into the aerobics room and saw what Zumba was all about. She thought it looked like a lot of fun. So, the two of us are signed up for that on Monday nights. The middle DGD thought she wanted to go too, but she has the attention span of a gnat, so I thought she might be too disruptive and told her no. Besides, I think it will be better for the oldest to have something special to do, just me and her. She loves to dance, and she loves music, so this may be a really good way to get her some exercise. If she sticks with it. The class is free for Y members, so it didn't cost anything to give it a try. And last night I was at Walmart and saw some bright floral yoga pants on clearance for $1, so I grabbed a couple of pairs for her. I hope they fit, but I know we will have to cut them off. She's really short and those legs are really long.

I slept much better last night too. Maybe because it seems things have settled down with my son and the kids, or maybe I was just really tired.

Last night for dinner I had a leftover chicken breast with pesto and mozzarella that was a couple of days old. Oh my gosh, that was delicious! I think sitting a couple of days really let the flavors develop. I got some pine nuts and basil to make my own pesto so I can make it without salt. And I have some really flavorful spanish olive oil. It is SOOOOOOO good!

My son has agreed to come over for Thanksgiving at our house. The kids will be at their mom's and his "wife" will be at her folks, so it will just be the three of us. I'm hoping we can use that time to do some serious talking. I hope he feels up to it that day. You never know when he will have a good day.

Well, I have things to do. I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

Sylvia
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just found your site. I am 63 and I am struggling to lose 2 stone. Kimperry I agree with every word you say. I am sick of my waistline flab and a not so flat stomach. I keep trying not to eat the obvious foods that are not good for me but if I see a biscuit packet open it is impossible to resist. I need help.

Welcome to another Elaine!!

This is a great place to come for support!

Elaine in Lansing
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    hideee ho all.
    today has already been a day. went down to see DFIL he was having none of breakfast, wouldnt eat a darn thing, got a couple of glasses of milk down him,but he was just sleeping in his chair. tried prompting him but none of that either...
    had a quick meeting as I am down there every day we didnt need a whole lot of time...
    asked for him to get covered cups, and they are going to have speech therapy work with him to have him able to swallow correctly...
    if he wont eat .. they will have to either start hospice or feeding tube, and Iris and I went through this with him when he was admitted and he doesnt want the feeding tube...
    so we shall see how things go, I put his pills in his milk so he drank that..
    Pellet stove people came, and the pipe we had wont work and we had to pay 750.00 for them to install the stove... now just found out it will be another 600.00 for the piping we need for the stove...
    gonna try and catch a nap before the countertop people show up...