It's only "Natural" and the FDA wants your opinion!

Options

Replies

• anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This indicates that they've identified the carrageenan since at least 2005:

https://leerburg.com/webboard/printthread.php?topic_id=9799

Post from 11/20/2005
    Walmart Chicken

Good day everyone.

Well, after reading quite a few of the different raw diet posts and seeing where everyone gets their meat, I realized that a few of you (us) get your chicken and other meats from Walmart b/c of the price. Tonight, I took that advice and took a spin over to the Walmart SuperStore here in the area.

Upon arriving I found a great deal on "County Post" chicken leg quarters. It ended up being only $.40/lb. I grabbed a bag and headed home.

After preparing for the freezer, I happened to look on the bag and noticed that the chicken had things added to it. Which I found kind of odd. The package said that they added: Chicken Broth, Sodium Phosphate, Salt and Carageenan.

Are those anything I need to worry about feeding to my pup? All the other meat I bought was just straight MEAT. No additives like that. I would've taken it back, but I already opened the package and cut one of the quarters up.

Not on my bag from HEB, I don't shop Walmart food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This demonstrates that it was on the label in 2007 (Pilgrim's Pride owns County Post brand):

https://fooddemocracy.wordpress.com/2007/11/03/natural-chicken-ripoff/
    Pilgrim’s Pride points out the added ingredients are on the back of the package. Among them, something called “carrageenan.”

It really sounds like you only looked at the front of the bag and the information there and didn't look at the ingredients label.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    This demonstrates that it was on the label in 2007 (Pilgrim's Pride owns County Post brand):

https://fooddemocracy.wordpress.com/2007/11/03/natural-chicken-ripoff/
    Pilgrim’s Pride points out the added ingredients are on the back of the package. Among them, something called “carrageenan.”

It really sounds like you only looked at the front of the bag and the information there and didn't look at the ingredients label.

No, I have said over and over, I looked at both sides, the meat dept head looked at both front and back. We turned it upside down to see if it was hanging out at the bottom and just covered with the heavy chicken. Nothing, not one iota of carrageenan mention and he had no idea what was in the chicken broth. He said, it's usually just a chicken broth solution called brine with salt. I'll be looking this weekend when I go shopping, hopefully they have that brand again, they go back and forth between County Post and Country Post. I guess it just depends what the deals are they get.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    ... the way some people complain about not eating foods with chemicals they can't pronounce, ...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who isn't sure whether the g is a soft g or hard g...

Short of googling (with 2 hard g's) that is...

Also, it turns out OP's chicken was produced by JBS, a Brazilian company that is the largest meat processing company in the world. The Pilgrim's Pride sub is a US company that is the largest chicken producer in the US (although I'd never heard of it or the County Post brand), and the second largest in Mexico. They supply Walmart, lots of other huge chain groceries like Kroger, not to mention Chik-Fil-A (or whatever) and Wendy's.

So the question becomes: should we know the English pronunciation or the Portuguese?

I vote English, because of the corporate shield doctrine.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This indicates that they've identified the carrageenan since at least 2005:

https://leerburg.com/webboard/printthread.php?topic_id=9799

Post from 11/20/2005
    Walmart Chicken

Good day everyone.

Well, after reading quite a few of the different raw diet posts and seeing where everyone gets their meat, I realized that a few of you (us) get your chicken and other meats from Walmart b/c of the price. Tonight, I took that advice and took a spin over to the Walmart SuperStore here in the area.

Upon arriving I found a great deal on "County Post" chicken leg quarters. It ended up being only $.40/lb. I grabbed a bag and headed home.

After preparing for the freezer, I happened to look on the bag and noticed that the chicken had things added to it. Which I found kind of odd. The package said that they added: Chicken Broth, Sodium Phosphate, Salt and Carageenan.

Are those anything I need to worry about feeding to my pup? All the other meat I bought was just straight MEAT. No additives like that. I would've taken it back, but I already opened the package and cut one of the quarters up.

Not on my bag from HEB, I don't shop Walmart food.

Pretty sure the bagging/labeling wouldn't differ like that.
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ... the way some people complain about not eating foods with chemicals they can't pronounce, ...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who isn't sure whether the g is a soft g or hard g...

Also, it turns out OP's chicken was produced by JBS, a Brazilian company that is the largest meat processing company in the world. The Pilgrim's Pride sub is a US company that is the largest chicken producer in the US (although I'd never heard of it or the County Post brand), and the second largest in Mexico. They supply Walmart, lots of other huge chain groceries like Kroger, not to mention Chik-Fil-A (or whatever) and Wendy's.

So the question becomes: should we know the English pronunciation or the Portuguese?

Wow, I didn't notice that on the bag, so it just says a division of Pilgrims Pride on the bag? I believe I remember seeing that on it so I have to take a look at that too. I will be taking pics that day if they have the product in stock.

Pilgrims Pride is all over the stores here, all those brands are very common here. I have never seen Sanderson Farms here though.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Was getting a glass of chocolate milk, decided to check.

l4mwip5hmt5s.jpg

Oh good. I'm glad to see they included a warning that your chocolate milk "CONTAINS MILK."

:neutral:

and growth hormones.
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options

Here is a yahoo link, it's a lot of links regarding Pilgrims Pride, I am actually surprised you haven't heard about them. This stuff was all over the mainstream news outlets.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0SO8y2_Lk5WF_IAP1pXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA21jYWZlZQRncHJpZANGVmxPdEUzdFF4Qzh0ZTJTWnVZWjBBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMzBG9yaWdpbgNzZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tBHBvcwMwBHBxc3RyAwRwcXN0cmwDBHFzdHJsAzIzBHF1ZXJ5A1BpbGdyaW1zIFByaWRlLCBsYXdzdWl0BHRfc3RtcAMxNDQ3OTY0MzU4?p=Pilgrims+Pride%2C+lawsuit&fr2=sb-top-search&fr=mcafee&type=C111US0D20151026
  • lemurcat12
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't really follow mega chicken companies or remember their names (other than Tyson's, for some reason), and we don't have that brand in my local supermarket, I don't think.
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't really follow mega chicken companies or remember their names (other than Tyson's, for some reason), and we don't have that brand in my local supermarket, I don't think.

Yeah, sometimes we have Tysons here but I don't buy it, when I lived in California that's about all I bought, but I didn't have a bunch of problems with chicken or anything then. I mostly just buy ground turkey now.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

l4mwip5hmt5s.jpg

Oh good. I'm glad to see they included a warning that your chocolate milk "CONTAINS MILK."

and growth hormones.

He's counting on that.

That's a feature, not a negative.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

l4mwip5hmt5s.jpg

and growth hormones.

He's counting on that.

That's a feature, not a negative.

Do you work for mfp?
  • anewstart22
    Options
    i just answered a lady and told her she could be allergic to carregenan
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10287481/protein-powder#latest

I would just say something like, I heard of someone who--- just to keep yourself safe from the, "you told me" crowd. That's just me though.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I just tracked down the label for the Country Post chicken product OP is talking about in the initial post, and it has this information:

Ingredients: Solution Ingredients: Chicken Broth, Salt, Carrageenan. Gluten Free

It's easy to get those confused, it is called County Post, with a blue label, and it is not on the 10 pound package. I might have spelled it wrong in the original OP, if I did I apologize, it's easy to get them confused.

No that was me screwing up the name. I'm talking about the 10 lb package of chicken leg quarters from County Post.

The labeling rules I quoted came into effect in 2013, I think, so if this was a while ago it might not have been required yet. But you seem to be focusing on the big type on the front and not the actual list of ingredients, also. The bigger point is that if carrageenan is used in the brine labeling does seem to be required already.

Let's get off the package picture on the front, I was making a point about young children and them having chocolate chip cookies as a regular thing in their diet. If they had a known allergy to coconut, the child would not know there was coconut in that cookie. Let's say this child was in someone else's home? So let's get off that.

And again, most children (I dare say all, especially those with life threatening ones) with allergies are coached from a very young age to check any and all food they consume even if it is the same type of food they have eaten in the past.
    All of the people I know who have children with allergies make sure that if their child is eating anywhere outside of their home that people know about the allergy. I carefully read labels of anything I bring to their house or offer their child while in my house, not just rely on the name of the product.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Congrats?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Congrats?

I can see how that's going to go. The new reason for everything that might wrong. :laugh:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

l4mwip5hmt5s.jpg

and growth hormones.

Weeeeeeeeeelll... they don't actually say that, do they?

They *could* just be expressing a random piece of information about what the FDA says about growth hormones. In case people were curious.
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I just tracked down the label for the Country Post chicken product OP is talking about in the initial post, and it has this information:

Ingredients: Solution Ingredients: Chicken Broth, Salt, Carrageenan. Gluten Free

It's easy to get those confused, it is called County Post, with a blue label, and it is not on the 10 pound package. I might have spelled it wrong in the original OP, if I did I apologize, it's easy to get them confused.

No that was me screwing up the name. I'm talking about the 10 lb package of chicken leg quarters from County Post.

The labeling rules I quoted came into effect in 2013, I think, so if this was a while ago it might not have been required yet. But you seem to be focusing on the big type on the front and not the actual list of ingredients, also. The bigger point is that if carrageenan is used in the brine labeling does seem to be required already.

Let's get off the package picture on the front, I was making a point about young children and them having chocolate chip cookies as a regular thing in their diet. If they had a known allergy to coconut, the child would not know there was coconut in that cookie. Let's say this child was in someone else's home? So let's get off that.

And again, most children (I dare say all, especially those with life threatening ones) with allergies are coached from a very young age to check any and all food they consume even if it is the same type of food they have eaten in the past.
    All of the people I know who have children with allergies make sure that if their child is eating anywhere outside of their home that people know about the allergy. I carefully read labels of anything I bring to their house or offer their child while in my house, not just rely on the name of the product.

Yes, they are! Gosh darn, how many times do I have to say I was making a point? In my original post I said, "my husband told me there was no coconut in those cookies, he did not taste any, but I did taste coconut and there is coconut. My point was said very clearly, but you all are so stuck on the thought I had that a simple piece of coconut on that very colorful and fully enveloped with a picture package would have alerted that child right away that coconut happens to be in the product. I am just saying if they were going to spend so much money, time and effort to make a colorful package like that why not add the coconut to it?

If someone does not check properly and they taste those cookies, and like my husband declares there is no coconut in them, what happens to said child? Even if the child asks, someone could tell him/her wrongly and not everyone will remember the neighbor told them their kid can't have coconut back last week or longer.

Get off the package people! I won't respond again.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

l4mwip5hmt5s.jpg

and growth hormones.

Weeeeeeeeeelll... they don't actually say that, do they?

They *could* just be expressing a random piece of information about what the FDA says about growth hormones. In case people were curious.

Meanwhile, we don't allow those at all over here. I wonder why?