Do people treat you differently?

Options
I am just wondering if anyone who has gone from obese to overweight or overweight to healthy or all three, has noticed that people treated them differently at those points?

I have noticed that shop assistants in clothing stores are much more attentive to me now I am smaller. I am hyper-aware in retail environments because I used to store manage & mystery shop so this change is supremely obvious to me. It irritates me because I had money when I was obese too but I was apparently less deserving of service.

I also noticed, having started a new job as a "slimmer" woman, that my colleagues don't make comments on my healthy lunches. I suppose they look at my size and think it makes sense. This one is a huge relief! (In my last job I started at 17kg heavier and one of my male colleagues once said to me "I just realised that we don't scrutinise anybody else lunch the way we scrutinise yours. I'm sorry")

What changes if any have you noticed?

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Men hit on me. Never ever used to happen. I do not care for this.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    More non-sexual attention from the opposite sex for sure. I had been going into my local newsagents 3-4 times a week die a year and a half, for snacks and stuff when I was fat. The lady who owned the shop must have said two words to me in that time. I take a few month absence when I wasn't really snacking on junk, and the first time I go back in there, suddenly shes starting up conversations, asking my name, asking about my day etc.

Other guys don't react any differently that I have noticed.
  • bacs
    bacs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I went from always having been fit to being overweight. It was interesting that I became invisible. In general getting older and heavier really does make you a non entity to the general population.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »

Lol, my friend you crack me up.

Since I got to a size 10AU/6US, I have had 3 bus drivers give me free rides. Three! Like, what is that?!
    bacs wrote: »
    I went from always having been fit to being overweight. It was interesting that I became invisible. In general getting older and heavier really does make you a non entity to the general population.

This is so real for me. I was invisible throughout my entire early 20s as a result of my weight - I was invisible not just because the heaviness made me unattractive but because the heaviness made me hide myself too.

I remember starting to hide more after, at 19, a stranger tried give me her cab in the rain because she thought I was pregnant. I was so ashamed but so lost so I covered myself more and hid.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    ARGriffy wrote: »

Lol, my friend you crack me up.

Since I got to a size 10AU/6US, I have had 3 bus drivers give me free rides. Three! Like, what is that?!

An incredibly indirect way to convey he likes what he sees I guess. There's probably no universe in which he thinks you'll prostitute yourself for a few tickets, but we men are weird sometimes. Once when I was young and worked in retail, I gave my staff discount to a pretty lady once. Immediately after I realised it was a dick move by me, and am ashamed I did it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It is a fact that being non obese often leads others to take us more serious. What cracks me up after losing my fat face and growing a beard so it did not look too thin some people started saying I looked like Sean Connery. They never said that when I was fat with no beard.

I learned at around the age 10-12 that fat people where not to be taken serious from my father.

It was a Saturday afternoon and were were working in the fields. I asked dad if we could stop about 3 PM and go to town (20 miles) for the rest of the day. He said that I talked like a fat man and to get back to working.

I remember this like it was yesterday. I expect other kids over the years got the same message. Back then obese people were rare.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i lost 150 pounds and suddenly now i am visible to people
    people treat me much better overall and honestly it pisses me off how *kitten* i was treated as a 300 pound women compared to now

• Livgetfit
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i lost 150 pounds and suddenly now i am visible to people
    people treat me much better overall and honestly it pisses me off how *kitten* i was treated as a 300 pound women compared to now

Congratulations on your loss.

I'm sorry you've gone through this too. People are definitely not invisible to me now but I think perhaps I am overly aware of other peoples sizes now....I don't like this about myself either.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Not even at my goal weight and I've already noticed a difference. I matter more, now.

Whatever.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Everyone treats me better. I've lost more than 90 pounds.

What is really disheartening to me is that friends and family members treat me differently too. These are the people who know that I gained weight due to an illness which almost killed me.

I actually did get hit on when I weighed 300 pounds...but now it sometimes happens 5+ times/day instead of just every once in a while. Sometimes it is a bit overwhelming.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    60 pounds down and I haven't noticed, but I am quite socially oblivious at times (it once took me about three months to realize someone was hitting on me...).

I don't really notice people treating me bad, either, apart from a few people who openly mocked me to my face. That at least I understood.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
  • Livgetfit
    edited December 2015
    Options

I actually did get hit on when I weighed 300 pounds...but now it sometimes happens 5+ times/day instead of just every once in a while. Sometimes it is a bit overwhelming.

Good lord! I imagine this is that you exude confidence as well as both inner & outer beauty.

P.s fancy grabbing a bite sometime? lol :p
    rankinsect wrote: »
    60 pounds down and I haven't noticed, but I am quite socially oblivious at times (it once took me about three months to realize someone was hitting on me...).

I don't really notice people treating me bad, either, apart from a few people who openly mocked me to my face. That at least I understood.

I wish I was more like you because at the end of the day, what does it matter as long as we treat ourselves & others in a way we can be proud of
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight, I was pretty oblivious to the fact that I was overweight. It wasn't until I saw some bad pictures that I really realized how heavy I was. So, I didnt notice a trend of bad/worse treatment than I get now.

That said, I do remember one big difference. I love animal prints - giraffe, cheetah, snakeskin, whatever. I remember one time wearing some sort of animal print to the bar when I was overweight and a bounce said something about me being a safari creature and should be in the zoo. Now when I wear animal print, I only get positive comments, not you're-a-hippo types of comments.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I haven't really noticed a difference. I think I'm a bit more outgoing, more apt to smile at passersby, etc.
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    ash_law wrote: »
    When I was overweight, I was pretty oblivious to the fact that I was overweight. It wasn't until I saw some bad pictures that I really realized how heavy I was. So, I didnt notice a trend of bad/worse treatment than I get now.

That said, I do remember one big difference. I love animal prints - giraffe, cheetah, snakeskin, whatever. I remember one time wearing some sort of animal print to the bar when I was overweight and a bounce said something about me being a safari creature and should be in the zoo. Now when I wear animal print, I only get positive comments, not you're-a-hippo types of comments.

I want to inflict physical pain on that bouncer...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Good lord! I imagine this is that you exude confidence as well as both inner & outer beauty.

I wish I was more like you because at the end of the day, what does it matter as long as we treat ourselves & others in a way we can be proud of

I'm definitely not pretty, so I'm not sure what the heck I exude. I am a dancer, so I think that it may have something to do with moving well or being physically confident.

About 20% of the people who hit on me ARE women. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    Options

I'm definitely not pretty, so I'm not sure what the heck I exude. I am a dancer, so I think that it may have something to do with moving well or being physically confident.

About 20% of the people who hit on me ARE women. ;)

You are too pretty ;)
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Coworkers whom I've never exchanged more than five words with during the past few years, ask about my weight loss progress and routine on a regular basis. They're more friendly I guess you could say, but I guess I could also appear to be more approachable to them.