dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    12/4 4 miles
    exercise.png

@kareF I am so glad you got good news!!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    3 miles in on the treadmill today. I've been doing the treadmill because this viral cold still has a hold on me and I tire out quickly so I don't want to get far from home and run out of "gas." Wish this dang cold would just go away! Most of my symptoms are better, just the tiredness and a little bit of a stuffy nose left.

exercise.png
  • CarolineHayden
    CarolineHayden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 70; gotta keep sane this holiday!
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! The miles are looking good.

12/2: 2.05
    12/3: 6.4

So far: 16.6/100 (or 120. I have too many challenges going)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71, @MorningGhost14: My goal this year is to keep running outdoors (even though I hate the cold) because it’s a lot more interesting. I understand those who call it the “dreadmill”..so boring…especially if I don’t have TV/book to focus my attention on something other than how I’m in the same place for 30 minutes at a time.
    @jowalsk23: Welcome back
    @Vixyb_,@CarolineHayden: Welcome
    @Ohhim: Probably be unsporting to trip the lil’ punk, huh? ;)
    @WhatMeRunning: Hope the knee proves to be minor

Dec 1: Advent begins. Light mist but warm (low 50s), still a little bit of hip twinge, nice and slow this morning, 4.44 miles.
    Dec 2: Hound of the Baskervilles fog this morning, no demon dogs spotted. 2.35 miles
    Dec 3: Rest day, however, intended to walk..and it didn’t happen 

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

November-Holiday Streak
    26-5.90 Race 10K -my oversight, thought it was sanctioned.
    27- 1.02 TM
    28-5.60
    29-1.02 TM
    30-3.47

1-6.03
    2-1.02 TM
    3-10.01
    4-4.15 long walk per HM training plan.

21.21/90+

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 0 blah day
    12/2 - 6.24 (2.66 lunch run + 3.58 dreadmill walk) Felt like an upside down turtle trying to make it thru quicksand. Felt super slow, sluggish, just awful. Later on the t-mill actually felt pretty good.
    12/3 - 2.83 Work lunch run...felt good. Not great. Seems like if I take more than 2 days off I lose something, like endurance or lung capacity, something.
    12/4 - 2.88 Lunch walk. It was gorgeous outside!
    dzmuu8dzi0ob.jpg

exercise.png
  • siddles11
    siddles11 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @virkati wow! so beautiful there.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom ...this is the road I run or walk on every day for my lunch break. It really is beautiful. BUT! When the wind finds its way off the mountains and into that area...omg!
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    12/04- 2.6 miles

Can someone tell me why runners hate treadmills so much? I'm new to this and it is my only option. We only have one car so when my husband drives to work, I would have no way to get myself and my kids to the safe areas in town (we live on a country road that everyone speeds down with no regard to safety). Plus no jogging stroller. So when my youngest is down forhis nap, I can jump ont the treadmill while my oldest does her own activities. The treadmill doesn't bother me really. Is there something bad about it that I am not aware of though?
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Making progress!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    12/04- 2.6 miles

Can someone tell me why runners hate treadmills so much? I'm new to this and it is my only option. We only have one car so when my husband drives to work, I would have no way to get myself and my kids to the safe areas in town (we live on a country road that everyone speeds down with no regard to safety). Plus no jogging stroller. So when my youngest is down forhis nap, I can jump ont the treadmill while my oldest does her own activities. The treadmill doesn't bother me really. Is there something bad about it that I am not aware of though?

No, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just daunting. Outside is so much more enjoyable.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    12/04- 2.6 miles

I too live on a crazy-driver filled country road near Mannford. Perhaps we live on the same one? LOL. No really, it's possible. Though I've had more problems with loose dogs trying to run on my road than with the drivers. People seriously need to get their dogs in check. It's not hard--I have 7 (thanks, dumpers and careless morons) that don't run free/get out...

To avoid all that drama, I drive up the road, park, and run down Highway 51...nice wide shoulder to ditch off of if something scary comes my way.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    And as for the treadmill, the scenery just gets boring after a while. Plus, I have trouble transferring my conditioning from road running to treadmill and vice versa. It's probably all mental, but I just feel so sluggish when I do the opposite of how I've been training for a while.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't hate the treadmill, but I am not too fond of running on it. I think it is actually more tiring. Not necessarily a tougher workout, but harder to stay interested in running. It becomes more of a chore. Given my long runs of 12+ miles regularly at this point, I just dread the thought of doing that on a treadmill. Running outside is just more interesting and a lot easier to go those sorts of distances in my opinion. Plus, running an outside course with varying hills and surfaces is not an easy thing to do without training on such surfaces.

I think most people just "dread" running on a treadmill as opposed to the freedom of running outside, thus the "dreadmill" term. In a pinch though, it is better than not running. I don't think many would argue with that.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I feel like such a slacker in here - no time to read what's happening and post.

Wedding weekend! I'm in Savannah and apparently it is a great place to run. I am going to get out early and get a fun run in - wedding isn't until 12:30. Or, if I have too much at the rehearsal dinner, it maybe a short run. :wink:

Dec 1 - 2.64
    Dec 2 - 5K
    Dec 3 - 1.4 streak
    Dec 4 - 5.16 miles

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    12/04- 2.6 miles

I find it very very tedious. I feel life a hamster. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Just preferences
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    2015 was the first year I managed to stay healthy through the summer. I noticed that summer is the worst running weather all year, right when the most races are scheduled.
    I totally agree with you. And then they try to avoid the worst heat by scheduling the races way too early on Sunday mornings... I think I'd take a 12:00 December run over a 8:00 July race any time.
    Although in summer I complain about the heat, in winter about the fact that it's dark all the time... Maybe I should move to some magic country which has only spring and autumn ;-)

@shanaber A festival with running, beer and fireworks? That sounds awesome, I can totally see why you are tempted :-)

@kareF I am absolutely happy for you to read the news you got from the clinic! That's super-great news!

@Pandora_and_her_box Yeah, treadmills... Though I have to see, the "I'm bored, I want to get off"-feeling doesn't go away after the first ten minutes. Or ever. One of the reasons I prefer running outside - I can't just decide to quite, I still have to get back home, that's kind of motivating ^^

@hmaddpear Actually, I just downloaded the zombies run-app today. I might try it out on Sunday, I've heard lots of positive things about it.

@ACSL3 That does indeed sound like a fun shopping trip! Makes me want to drive to the nearest sports store and buy running stuff as well ;-) Hope you get over your cold soon.

@msf74 Sorry that you had such a sucky night run. The cap that wants to fly off sounds quite annoying, and I guess the cab driver conspiracy didn't help. Next run will be better!

@HonuNui You know, if I met that shrimp in my apartment, it would freak me out, but under water it's pretty.

@candacefausset For a warmup in the gym I'm willing to deal with the treadmill, because it's still better than the stationary bike. But in general, I dislike treadmills because I'm not getting anywhere. I absolutely loathed running in school, were we would only go around in circles on the track. I never saw the point in that. And then one day (years later) I tried running by myself, and found it's so much more fun when you go somewhere and see different things.
    Some days I really enjoy the weather and the nature around me. Sometimes I come home soaked from the rain, but that feels good to ^^ . Other days I force myself to go a little faster than my usual trot because I see another runner in the distance and want to test if I can keep up with them for a little bit.
    Or I try out new routes and discouver places in the neighbourhood I've never been before. Okay, sometimes I get lost and need to run a few extra kms to get home, or I pick a path which leaves me stranded in the middle of a corn field, but that's part of the fun.
    Even if I just run one of my "standard routes" where I know every turn, I still prefer that over the treadmill, because I know things like "okay, after that house it's downhill until the traffic light" or "yay, I passed that tree, so I'm more than halfway home now".
    And some days I'm not really motivated and feel like quitting halfway through, but since I still have to get home, I keep on running, where on the treadmill I might just have hopped off.
    ... okay, long rant, but you see, I'm really a fan of running outside ;-p If I only had the choice between "treadmill" and "no running", I would pick the treadmill. So if that is your only option and it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Today was my first run since more than a week!
    My toe isn't healed all the way, but it's already a lot better than last week. Plus, I was feeling irritable all day and really wanted to go for a run after work to get that out of my system and relax. The doctor told me I probably wouldn't be able to run for the rest of the year, but I think he was wrong. It's just a bruised toe, after all!
    So I took a quick trip to a (non-running) shoe shop and bought some cheap sports shoes with the largest toe-box I could find, at least half a size too large. Not suitable in the long run, but they don't put any pressure on the toes. Apart from a bit of discomfort in the very beginning and at the end of the run, I was actually fine.

I should probably still take it easy the next days/weeks, so I didn't set a distance goal for this month. But I'm really happy right now :-)
    4.12.2015 - 5km

Oh, and I found the village put up Christmas decoration along a part of one street I passed. That makes it actually almost nicer to run in the dark than during the day
    sxgmv3xjfa0n.jpg