Meat

Options
kater8er
kater8er Posts: 364 Member
is it bad? I've heard from a lot of people that going vegan/vegetarian is the way to go. I'm trying to lose 35 lbs.

Replies

• SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    MEAT IS THE DEVIL. Vegan is the only way. Not only is it unhealthy, it's downright cruel.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Meat is fine.

Edit: And I say this having experimented with two years of being a vegetarian. It was, at the time a "health" decision more than moral and it did little to positively impact my health. Actually I ended up with anemia, but that's another story for another time.

Not all farms are inhumane, not all meats are "gross" or poorly raised, meat is not detrimental to the body, some meats are better than others.

There are moral reasons to avoid meats or meats raised in a certain manner, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Any arguments about meat rotting in your colon ARE absolute and complete bunk. Avoiding meat simply to "lose weight" isn't always a great strategy as you may be replacing that meat with a more highly processed substance (soya).
  • kater8er
    Options
    I was thinking about trying the Atkins diet...It worked really well for my grandfather. He stuck to it until he had a heart attack 2 years ago.
  • SenoraMacias
    Options
    I was thinking about trying the Atkins diet...It worked really well for my grandfather. He stuck to it until he had a heart attack 2 years ago.

Omg you are awful
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Omg you are awful

Are you a troll?
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm.... This is awkward.
  • SenoraMacias
    Options

Omg you are awful

Are you a troll?

Whattt??
  • kater8er
    Options
    Any *fact based* info on meat vs. vegetarian/vegan would be greatly appreciated.
  • Kaiwyn
    Kaiwyn Posts: 11
    Options
    I eat a lot of meat, especially since I have been lifting weights more and more, but that is my choice. I eat organic fed or free-range when money permits. Your body needs protein, and you must PROPERLY replace it (and the iron) from other foods if you are going to cut it out, or you will become anemic etc.
  • SenoraMacias
    Options
    What's a troll?? The little dolls with crazy hair and jewels for bellybuttons? In that case, no.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Meat is tasty. What do you want to know? Protein is good to build muscle and help lose weight.
  • kater8er
    Options
    So if I were to start eating *less* meat--like only a couple times a week, what are some good protein substitutes? I do take a vitamin with iron in it.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    MEAT IS MURDER…. Tasty , tasty, murder.

But seriously meat IS healthy. You should try and eat a “protein source” with every meal.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was a vegitarian for several years, and found I ate a lot of carbs, I wouldnt make to lose weight (unless you have a moral desire to as well) because you may actually gain unless you are very careful with the carbs.
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    Going vegan/vegetarian isn't bad for the right reasons. HOWEVER, just to lose weight is NOT the right reason. Meat is an excellent source of protein, the only source of heme-iron which is more readily absorbed and used by your body than plant based non-heme iron, and can be included in an healthy diet and lifestyle.

I'd suggest doing a lot more research before you make the jump. It takes a lot of education to eat right on a vegan/vegetarian diet. And I dont mean eat right as in eat healthy, I mean eating right as in giving your body everything it needs. Vegans/vegetarians are at higher risk for being low in key nutrients your body needs. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get these nutrients from non-animal based sources, it certainly is, but just be aware you'll have to do a lot of research on it. Its not as easy as just eating salad, bread, and fruit.

Also, I know a few vegetarians who are still overweight. They are vegetarian for other reasons than weight, so it is not a cure all, cookie cutter way to drop pounds fast. There is no such thing. Its eating well balanced meals, from the proper sources and living an active lifestyle. But what that actually looks like in practice is different for every person and you have to take the time to find what changes you're willing to make and stick with for life.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    So if I were to start eating *less* meat--like only a couple times a week, what are some good protein substitutes? I do take a vitamin with iron in it.

Personally when I decided to cut out meat during the weekdays I ate more veggies and beans. For me it was a positive thing, it is all about how you plan to replace the meat. I still eat meat on the weekends - usually chicken. I do think that we eat too much meat and it is beneficial to practice meatless days such as "meatless monday". It is a personal decision however.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Going vegan/vegetarian isn't bad for the right reasons. HOWEVER, just to lose weight is NOT the right reason. Meat is an excellent source of protein, the only source of heme-iron which is more readily absorbed and used by your body than plant based non-heme iron, and can be included in an healthy diet and lifestyle.

I'd suggest doing a lot more research before you make the jump. It takes a lot of education to eat right on a vegan/vegetarian diet. And I dont mean eat right as in eat healthy, I mean eating right as in giving your body everything it needs. Vegans/vegetarians are at higher risk for being low in key nutrients your body needs. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get these nutrients from non-animal based sources, it certainly is, but just be aware you'll have to do a lot of research on it. Its not as easy as just eating salad, bread, and fruit.

Also, I know a few vegetarians who are still overweight. They are vegetarian for other reasons than weight, so it is not a cure all, cookie cutter way to drop pounds fast. There is no such thing. Its eating well balanced meals, from the proper sources and living an active lifestyle. But what that actually looks like in practice is different for every person and you have to take the time to find what changes you're willing to make and stick with for life.

*Agreed* I have a friend very much overweight who is a vegetarian.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I spent the first part of my life completely gorged on meat at EVERY meal (my parent's lifestyle choice, not mine). I developed fatty liver from it, and I wasn't even overweight. Of course they were eating high fat bacon, dairy products, ham, pork, beef, etc but it goes to show what excessive meat consumption can do to even a child.

As a young adult, I've made the decision to go nearly meatless. I don't eat dairy either because it's high in saturated fat and it's not good for my digestion. I've found much more healthy ways to get my calcium. If it weren't for eating fish, eggs, and organic chicken once in a rare while, I'd be able to call myself vegan. But I found that I just need to not worry about the labels and eat what I think is best for me.

Excessive meat intake is associated with heart disease, the number one killer in the United States. Heart disease has killed more people than all our major wars put together. My family members who still eat meat at every meal have suffered from diabetes, stroke, and heart attack. After I stopped eating most meat, my fatty liver went away, my cholesterol dropped to 133, and my physical stamina and mental acuity is so much better.

Health aside, choosing not to eat meat is better for the environment. It takes 2500 gallons of water to process just 1 lb of beef.

Even though I choose not to eat meat, I think it is still personal choice and could be ok for the right individuals in moderation (once or twice a week, maybe).

For protein, I eat a lot of beans, quinoa, brown rice, nuts, and seeds. Check out this article:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegan-protein-percentages/

It seems to suggest that the total grams of protein is not what matters, but rather, the total percentage of protein in the meal. That being said, I don't really sweat protein. A lot of plant-based foods have small amounts of protein in them so if you're eating a really well-balanced meal with a huge variety of foods (it's key to eat a huge variety), then you can easily get enough protein.
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    What's a troll?? The little dolls with crazy hair and jewels for bellybuttons? In that case, no.

You should go back to remedial trolling and return when you've honed your skills a bit.

As for meat...if eating meat is wrong, I don't want to be right. Like most foods, the key is moderation. Especially in regards to red meat. Not saying going vegan is a bad choice, but meat provides tons of health benefits, namely protein.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I spent the first part of my life completely gorged on meat at EVERY meal (my parent's lifestyle choice, not mine). I developed fatty liver from it, and I wasn't even overweight. Of course they were eating high fat bacon, dairy products, ham, pork, beef, etc but it goes to show what excessive meat consumption can do to even a child.

As a young adult, I've made the decision to go nearly meatless. I don't eat dairy either because it's high in saturated fat and it's not good for my digestion. I've found much more healthy ways to get my calcium. If it weren't for eating fish, eggs, and organic chicken once in a rare while, I'd be able to call myself vegan. But I found that I just need to not worry about the labels and eat what I think is best for me.

Excessive meat intake is associated with heart disease, the number one killer in the United States. Heart disease has killed more people than all our major wars put together. My family members who still eat meat at every meal have suffered from diabetes, stroke, and heart attack. After I stopped eating most meat, my fatty liver went away, my cholesterol dropped to 133, and my physical stamina and mental acuity is so much better.

Health aside, choosing not to eat meat is better for the environment. It takes 2500 gallons of water to process just 1 lb of beef.

Even though I choose not to eat meat, I think it is still personal choice and could be ok for the right individuals in moderation (once or twice a week, maybe).

For protein, I eat a lot of beans, quinoa, brown rice, nuts, and seeds. Check out this article:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegan-protein-percentages/

It seems to suggest that the total grams of protein is not what matters, but rather, the total percentage of protein in the meal. That being said, I don't really sweat protein. A lot of plant-based foods have small amounts of protein in them so if you're eating a really well-balanced meal with a huge variety of foods (it's key to eat a huge variety), then you can easily get enough protein.
    Actually refined carbohydrates have greater impact on fat storage (around organs included) than saturated fat. There is a great article here on many of the misconceptions about saturated fats.

http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm