Why do so many ladies not lift?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Eh, on MFP seems like most people have considered it and those who don't don't like it (newbies excluded).

Offline, I suspect lots of women haven't considered it/do what their friends do or what they know or what their gym pushes. I ran and swam and biked as a kid, so when I got active again as an adult I did those things. In college when I had access to a gym I played around with the machines but didn't know what I was doing or that free weights would be better (I did not do sports for a team in college or high school and while I cross country skiied and swam in jr high we didn't do weights). I got a personal trainer for a while when I joined a gym and wasn't particularly encouraged to do heavy lifting and didn't know enough to ask and did the classes that seemed fun.

Much later I read about strength training (stuff like NRoLfW) and realized I should be trying more weight-type stuff and doing a progressive program, so I did, but it's normal most women might not think of this stuff, even without the irrational fear of magically waking up muscular (which I never had).
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think the lifting thing for ladies has just not been well publicised apart from on specific fitness forums and on weird pinterest type links. It can be a life changer though in a way that other forms of exercise doesn't compare to re self confidence and changing perspectives

I wrote these reasons why I am a convert to lifting ages ago (well 18 months and they still just as relevant):
    • Finally finding a type of exercise that suits my personality
    • It makes me calm and centered even during peak times of stress and work overload
    • My glutes looks like they belong on a fitspo inspiration page
    • The mantra I say to myself when I lift, spills over to all aspects of my life (you are strong and you can do this)
    • Fit dudes in the weights section of the gym, even if they are mostly PT's and it is their employment to be fit and to do exercise
    • Teaching me to have a different attitude towards food and nutrition
    • Knowing that if people are staring at me, it because I look good rather than because I am weird.
    • I can lift some bad a*** amounts, including all of my children regardless of age and size. The smallest mini-me loves how I can still carry her around like she is a little baby.
    • excellent pelvic floor from all the glute related moves. No tena lady moments for this middle aged chick. Excellent pelvic control is useful in other area's :P
    • Loving my arms and shoulders
    • Feeling good in all the clothes that I wear
    • I walk tall and confidently, and look people in the eye rather than trying to make myself invisible
    • Being able to set myself targets on how to improve form and weights and for that to be fun
    • B88bs still look amazing even if they have gotten smaller.
    • I don't feel old.
    • The only downside I can actually think of is that the armpit area of the dresses I wear tend to dig in due to well developed muscle but I think I can live with that

• dlrosencrantz
    dlrosencrantz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would need to hire a personal trainer because I honestly don't know how to go about weight lifting. Guys seem to learn in their teenage years now to weight lift because their friends do.
    So for me it's out of fear of not knowing what I'm doing.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising for 30 years.....marathon running, spin classes etc. I'd been conditioned to think that less calories more cardio was the only way and didn't even consider anything else.

Then I had a ski accident, and knee surgery. Then I went over the handlebars of my road bike... My whole approach and confidence had changed. I lost my love for cardio but needed something else. I used a trainer for a few weeks to get me ready for my wedding earlier this year so she introduced me to some weights but when I tried to use the weights area of the gym I was very definitely pushed out by the Bros and didn't have the confidence to stand up for myself.

Thankfully we changed gyms in September.... And I'm "allowed" to work out however I please. I told the trainer at my obligatory induction session how I felt and he took me straight to the squat rack. Ok it's only 3 months ago but I've not looked back so far.

So, lots of things shape why we do what we do. I'm not saying I won't ever run another marathon.... But right now my knee can't take it. And I'm loving what I can do.

As for the risk of injury.... Aside from the ski and bike injuries,. I have broken my finger as I took off my gym pants after doing a 30day shred dvd workout at home. I figure I'm just as safe with 70kgs balanced on my back haha!!
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Why the stereotype here?

I'll be honest, i'm kind of getting tired of this generalization coupled with the fact that women *must* lift weights if they want to be "cool, fit, attractive" and so on. It's perpetuated on MyFitnessPal so much that it's borderline ridiculous.

If some woman prefers to dance, to run, to swim, to play tennis, to do WHATEVER, why is she barred from the *cool kids club*? I'm just saying.

Let's not even get into the fact not not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder or a fitness model.

Well said.

I concur! I put a lot of effort into becoming a runner over the last year, because I'd rather be able to run than lift. I am slim now, but quite fluffy, so I've done some lifting. I saw some results and I keep it up a little, but the feeling I get from lifting is nothing to the adrenaline rush and pure joy I felt when I finally ran a 25 min 5k. It's horses for courses, isn't it? If a lady doesn't lift because she's scared or intimidated, that might be sad, but if a lady doesn't lift because she doesn't want to, then what's the big deal? Sure, sculpted abs might be awesome, but give me a lung-bursting run any day.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Why the stereotype here?

I'll be honest, i'm kind of getting tired of this generalization coupled with the fact that women *must* lift weights if they want to be "cool, fit, attractive" and so on. It's perpetuated on MyFitnessPal so much that it's borderline ridiculous.

If some woman prefers to dance, to run, to swim, to play tennis, to do WHATEVER, why is she barred from the *cool kids club*? I'm just saying.

Let's not even get into the fact not not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder or a fitness model.

Well said.

I concur! I put a lot of effort into becoming a runner over the last year, because I'd rather be able to run than lift. I am slim now, but quite fluffy, so I've done some lifting. I saw some results and I keep it up a little, but the feeling I get from lifting is nothing to the adrenaline rush and pure joy I felt when I finally ran a 25 min 5k. It's horses for courses, isn't it? If a lady doesn't lift because she's scared or intimidated, that might be sad, but if a lady doesn't lift because she doesn't want to, then what's the big deal? Sure, sculpted abs might be awesome, but give me a lung-bursting run any day

this myth that only lifters get 6 packs, or that all lifters get sculpted abs, it does not reflect reality

olympics 2012 5000 m start
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/2012_Olympics_-_Womens_5000m_start_3.jpg
    Can definitely see 6packs there

olympics 2012 weightlifting 63 kg gold medalist
    http://www.olympic.org/Assets/MediaPlayer/Photos/2014/Nanjing/22/22_08_2014_Weightlifting4_HD.jpg
    I am sure there are some impressive abs in there, they definitely are not visible though

And in real life, the average person lifting in the gym might have the intention of getting sculpted abs. In practice, few do. It has far more to do with diet than training routine.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You don't need to lift to get abs as abs mean low bf%, but most Olympic athletes lift as part of their training program ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You don't need to lift to get abs as abs mean low bf%, but most Olympic athletes lift as part of their training

Agreed

It doesn't bug me if people don't want to lift but pro athletes have to have well-rounded training programs and those generally include lifting.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think that many just don't think about it or know very little about how to start and don't want to stick out by possibly doing something wrong at the gym. Machines are fairly easy to figure out--most have tiny diagrams on them showing what to do. Lifting free weights correctly takes a bit more forethought. I've read several coaches saying that the women they train tend to be very concerned with getting form right. My guess is that's as much for embarrassment prevention as it is for injury prevention.

^^^^^ this.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lift to get abs as abs mean low bf%
    This is true. At one point I had visible abs after doing very little strength training.

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Speaking personally, I only got into lifting several years ago because I saw a fitness model (probably on Oxygen magazine or something) and I thought, WOW, now THAT is how I want to look. I find that look to be "fit". But, there are lots and lots of women who think women with low fat and "ripped" muscles look gross. And that's just one reason that lots of women don't lift. Personally, I find the supermodel look (skinny fat) to be gross.... in fact all I can think of is "get that woman a f***ing hamburger!!!!" I'm sure lots of guys and girls look at men the same way. Some love the look of say, Vin Diesel (mmmmmm), whereas some prefer the look of Justin Bieber (I know, I know, I really went out there with that one, but yeah, some girls dig his look).

It's all personal preference and all the evidence is anecdotal. Everyone has their reasons for lifting or not lifting.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Justin Bieber????? Ohhhkaaaay.....!!!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Justin Bieber????? Ohhhkaaaay.....!!!

I had to pick some dude with no muscles - he was the first one that came to mind LOL
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    By the way, as a side note, do not simply Google "XXX" if you're trying to find the movie that Vin Diesel was in. You will not like the results! LOL And doing a Google search on "actors that are not ripped" gave me only actors that were ripped... so... Google FAIL today!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Why the stereotype here?

Well said.

I concur! I put a lot of effort into becoming a runner over the last year, because I'd rather be able to run than lift. I am slim now, but quite fluffy, so I've done some lifting. I saw some results and I keep it up a little, but the feeling I get from lifting is nothing to the adrenaline rush and pure joy I felt when I finally ran a 25 min 5k. It's horses for courses, isn't it? If a lady doesn't lift because she's scared or intimidated, that might be sad, but if a lady doesn't lift because she doesn't want to, then what's the big deal? Sure, sculpted abs might be awesome, but give me a lung-bursting run any day.

Why not both, especially if it means improving your 5K time. Getting more serious in the weight room definitely assisted my running and helped me break 20 min (5K)/43 min (10K), and I didn't make any changes to my cardio regimen.

Why does it always have to be one or the other with some people?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    to a large extent, i think it's about exposure. males tend to be exposed to lifting at a fairly young age whereas women aren't. most of the women i know who lift do so because they were involved in athletics that required them to get stronger and that was their exposure...i think relative to men that is a much smaller group. this lack of exposure also breeds misconceptions...and really, the industry at large doesn't help matter much.

i do know quite a few female lifters, but i know far more who do their resistance training in classes and "boot camp" type of things and circuit training vs traditional "heavy" strength training. i'm totally cool with that...i do believe resistance training is pretty essential to general fitness and overall health...but i don't believe that it has to be "heavy" to be viable...hell, i don't lift "heavy" all of the time as I tend to work in a variety of rep ranges in 6-8 week cycles.

i do think "heavy" gets overplayed on MFP as the only way to do it...but it really depends on where you're coming from and what your goals are overall...if i lifted "heavy" all of the time i wouldn't have much left for cycling or running.
    they could be doing cardio elsewhere...it is exceedingly rare that i do cardio in the gym...the only reason i go to the gym is to lift...but i also ride about 80+ miles per week or so. if your only contact with me was at the gym, it would be easy to assume that i do no cardio...but i do quite a bit actually.

I agree. I think lots of things get overplayed as the ONLY way to do it. I lift, I also do Pilates and Yoga. I know that all three are improving my strength. Today's handstands in yoga take quite a bit of strength. And balance. I had the balance today, but couldn't quite pull it off. It's a goal of mine.
    And, yes, I think some folks think "cardio" is something done in a gym on a machine. I do some in gyms, some at home (we have a treadmill) and lots outside.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Many women lift here

I don't lift, I don't want to. I lift myself and have no interest in weights
    23571433661_52be5de1c0_n.jpg

I am so jealous ! I have wanted to try this for so long, but I suffer from vertigo which I have been told is one of the very few reasons not to try aerial yoga :( I have a friend who teaches, and even she would not let me.

Until I saw your comment and had a second look, I thought (and wondering why) the picture as upside down B)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    to a large extent, i think it's about exposure. males tend to be exposed to lifting at a fairly young age whereas women aren't. most of the women i know who lift do so because they were involved in athletics that required them to get stronger and that was their exposure...i think relative to men that is a much smaller group. this lack of exposure also breeds misconceptions...and really, the industry at large doesn't help matter much.

i do know quite a few female lifters, but i know far more who do their resistance training in classes and "boot camp" type of things and circuit training vs traditional "heavy" strength training. i'm totally cool with that...i do believe resistance training is pretty essential to general fitness and overall health...but i don't believe that it has to be "heavy" to be viable...hell, i don't lift "heavy" all of the time as I tend to work in a variety of rep ranges in 6-8 week cycles.

i do think "heavy" gets overplayed on MFP as the only way to do it...but it really depends on where you're coming from and what your goals are overall...if i lifted "heavy" all of the time i wouldn't have much left for cycling or running.
    they could be doing cardio elsewhere...it is exceedingly rare that i do cardio in the gym...the only reason i go to the gym is to lift...but i also ride about 80+ miles per week or so. if your only contact with me was at the gym, it would be easy to assume that i do no cardio...but i do quite a bit actually.

I agree. I think lots of things get overplayed as the ONLY way to do it. I lift, I also do Pilates and Yoga. I know that all three are improving my strength. Today's handstands in yoga take quite a bit of strength. And balance. I had the balance today, but couldn't quite pull it off. It's a goal of mine.
    And, yes, I think some folks think "cardio" is something done in a gym on a machine. I do some in gyms, some at home (we have a treadmill) and lots outside.

People seem to be coming around to bodyweight lifting, so maybe we should call it that. I did call my difficult yoga strength asanas bodyweight lifting here, now that I think about it. And even one specific part of bellydance!

Bellydance, you say? I swear there is a floor move that requires amazingly strong quads and then abs. It's insane. I would love to have the most boastful lifters try that one, but there's no way they'd have the mobility off the bat anyway. Then there's the standing up version, where the leverage makes the back and ab strength required insane as well.

If anyone is up to the challenge, I'll find videos for y'all :grin: But the point is that other things can require enormous strength (in certain areas) without traditional lifting.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Why the stereotype here?

Well said.

Why not both, especially if it means improving your 5K time. Getting more serious in the weight room definitely assisted my running and helped me break 20 min (5K)/43 min (10K), and I didn't make any changes to my cardio regimen.

I hope you can see the irony in this statement.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Why the stereotype here?

Well said.

I hope you can see the irony in this statement.

Enlighten me.