Going (mostly) veggie just to lose weight

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    gorymeraz wrote: »
    wow, people is dense.

if you put 2 people on a 2k cals diet, on of veggies and one of meat(both in a deficit)

the meat one will lose weight, yes, but he would lose weight slower than the one in the veggies diet.

Actually the opposite is true.

Initially a low carb diet (the meat one) will lose significant amounts of weight due to glucose sheathing effect. That initial weight will be mostly water but it will be quite large.

Over a long period of time the weight loss will be about the same.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians are all vampires who sneak into the rooms of fair maidens at night and steal their souls.

I mean since the standard set is that we only have to declare something and it's automatically true with no citations whatsoever

z205099164.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    wow, people is dense.

if you put 2 people on a 2k diet, on of veggies and one on meat(deficit)

the meat one will lose weight, yes, but he would lose weight slower than the one in the veggies diet.

one would be hard pressed to eat 2K worth of veggies...and they would also be lacking nutritionally. vegans eat more than just veggies. i know fat vegetarians and fat vegans and fat omnivores.

lol, like if eating only meat is healthy...

male vegans are in average 10-20lbs lighter than meat eaters, thats a fact.

Possibly, but this is due to veganism being a diet that tends to eliminate many calorie dense food such as anything with butter, cream, animal fats... etc.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    wow, people is dense.

if you put 2 people on a 2k diet, on of veggies and one on meat(deficit)

one would be hard pressed to eat 2K worth of veggies...and they would also be lacking nutritionally. vegans eat more than just veggies. i know fat vegetarians and fat vegans and fat omnivores.

lol, like if eating only meat is healthy...

male vegans are in average 10-20lbs lighter than meat eaters, thats a fact.

where did i ever say eating only meat was healthy...i think perhaps you are the dense little troll...

by the by, i eat a substantially plant based diet...

You didn't, but when people have nothing to back up their arguments they tend to grasp at straws and extremes. But jokes on them because once they start doing this, they've already lost.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    You can survive a fall from any height by flapping your arms right before you hit the ground.
    In the event you are in free fall in an elevator just jump prior to impact. No harm will come to you.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    In a 1999 poll, 87% of US respondents were unable to point to the USSR on a global map.

Sarah Palin ran the poll.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    You can survive a fall from any height by flapping your arms right before you hit the ground.
    In the event you are in free fall in an elevator just jump prior to impact. No harm will come to you.

will you guys feel guilty if I go try this right now? will it help if I am eating a hamburger on impact?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

will you guys feel guilty if I go try this right now? will it help if I am eating a hamburger on impact?

Um...don't try this? Crud. I didn't think this through.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know... I have been vegetarian for 18.5 years. I do eat dairy and eggs, but I will just say... at the beginning of June I was 226.6 pounds. I can't believe I just said that, but I was. Vegetarians and vegans can be vastly overweight and obese. I know more overweight/obese/morbidly obese veggies than I do fit ones. Cutting meat could help you cut calories, but beware, we veggies often can find something high in calories to make up for that.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    Just wanted to let you know... I have been vegetarian for 18.5 years. I do eat dairy and eggs, but I will just say... at the beginning of June I was 226.6 pounds. I can't believe I just said that, but I was. Vegetarians and vegans can be vastly overweight and obese. I know more overweight/obese/morbidly obese veggies than I do fit ones. Cutting meat could help you cut calories, but beware, we veggies often can find something high in calories to make up for that.

tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    In other news... 12 inches of string is actually longer than 12 inches of wire.

Also somewhat surprisingly, A pound of feathers actually weighs more than a pound of bricks

A pound of tooty also weighs more than a pound of booty. Unless you are watching "Rudy". Then the opposite. I just wanted to bring something to the table.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

No, but you'll die happy. :)
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

You have no idea how happy I am that it is David Tenant...
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

You have no idea how happy I am that it is David Tenant...

:bigsmile:
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If you only eat green vegetables and plants, you will gain the ability to photosynthesize. This will, of course change your daily caloric needs and you will have to adjust your MFP settings at that point.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    If you only eat green vegetables and plants, you will gain the ability to photosynthesize. This will, of course change your daily caloric needs and you will have to adjust your MFP settings at that point.

tumblr_mlev18bzQd1soxso9o1_400.gif
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Shakybabe,

Vegetarianism is not a weight loss strategy. It is probably true that vegetarians as a group are thinner than the rest, but it has more to do with having a healthier lifestyle, paying more attention to what they eat and avoiding a junk food diet. Of course nothing stops a vegetarian from eating candy. That is how I gained weight.

One possible advantage to eating vegetables over another food is that they usually have more volume for the same amount of calories so they can sate hunger better than a candy bar of the same calories. Of course so can soup, and for much the same reason. I drink a lot of water, and eat a lot of soup.

You will lose weight by a mixture of more activity and eating less calories. It does not matter if the calories are from carrots, celery, chocolate or pig hoof. But while you cut calories you do have to eat enough protein and vitamins to stay healthy. I suggest using this forum's logging to be sure you eat enough protein, and if you have any doubt about getting enough vitamins, add a daily vitamin and an iron supplement. Figure around 50 grams of protein a day on average to be on the safe side.

Weight loss happens when you eat less calories than you burn.
    You succeed in staying under that calorie amount when you find ways to not let hunger/boredom/whatever push you to eat too much. Give some thought to why you have been over-eating and solve those problems. Then weight loss will be *much* easier and your chance of not gaining back the weight after you finish dieting much higher.

Good Luck!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    In a 1999 poll, 87% of US respondents were unable to point to the USSR on a global map.

Not surprising, since the USSR no longer existed in 1999, and so it would not have been on the map.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    even lean proteins will make you gain more weight than a vegan diet eating the same amount of calories.

That is not possible, 1200 calories is 1200 calories no matter where it comes from, you just might have to eat more to reach 1200 calories from vegetables

no ma'am, a calorie is not a calorie.

Yes sir, a calorie is a calories as to weight loss. ;)

However, they are are not nutritionally the same.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    wow this discussion really took off whilst I was away...lol!

My friends eldest was chubby as a young teen and decided she wanted to go vegetarian, she also doesn't eat eggs cos she doesn't like them but I think she does eat cheese and some kind of milk (soy milk possibly) and she really slimmed down. We thought it was just gonna be fad and not last but she is still vegetarian 5 yrs later and has grown tall and slim.

Whilst I'm not expecting to grow anymore (height wise) as I'm 46 not 14! .... personally I don't know any fat vegetarians! Not including the fact I've been housebound for years but when I did go to uni and work all the veggies I know were tall and skinny and lived on Beanburgers from McDonalds (though that could have been a student thing cos that's all they could afford!)

I'm only 5ft 4 but was consistently around 9st 7 when I could walk everywhere and did eat meat so I can see your point. My diet was far from its healthiest at University, but I remember being a size 12 and fitting in Levi 501's!

As there's no way I can be that active again though I need another way to get the weight loss wheels in motion and something that will jump start my weight loss to get going.