Going (mostly) veggie just to lose weight

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    shakybabe wrote: »
    wow this discussion really took off whilst I was away...lol!

My friends eldest was chubby as a young teen and decided she wanted to go vegetarian, she also doesn't eat eggs cos she doesn't like them but I think she does eat cheese and some kind of milk (soy milk possibly) and she really slimmed down. We thought it was just gonna be fad and not last but she is still vegetarian 5 yrs later and has grown tall and slim.

Whilst I'm not expecting to grow anymore (height wise) as I'm 46 not 14! .... personally I don't know any fat vegetarians! Not including the fact I've been housebound for years but when I did go to uni and work all the veggies I know were tall and skinny and lived on Beanburgers from McDonalds (though that could have been a student thing cos that's all they could afford!)

I'm only 5ft 4 but was consistently around 9st 7 when I could walk everywhere and did eat meat so I can see your point. My diet was far from its healthiest at University, but I remember being a size 12 and fitting in Levi 501's!

As there's no way I can be that active again though I need another way to get the weight loss wheels in motion and something that will jump start my weight loss to get going.

Come back in a year and let us know how you did. Nobody ever does that. I'm curious when people convince themselves and make up their minds to do something. What happens long term?
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    .... personally I don't know any fat vegetarians! Not including the fact I've been housebound for years but when I did go to uni and work all the veggies I know were tall and skinny and lived on Beanburgers from McDonalds (though that could have been a student thing cos that's all they could afford!)
    I was a fat vegetarian! There are a lot of us out there, believe me.
    It's not what you're eating that makes you fat, but how much of it.
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I found that eating less meat than I used to helps a great deal with reaching my weight loss goals. I ate 3x the daily protein requirement and 3x the sugar and carbs.
    I now acknowlege the balanced diet. It's not a matter of what class of eating loses weight faster to me, but rather losing and sustaining my weight and fulfilling my body's nutritional needs. One half gram per pound of protein is what is widely suggested. The amount of amino acids needed so my body will sustain itself.
    Carbs and fats play just as an important roll also. I prefer omega3 and omega6 and refrain from animal fat as much as possible. I still eat my ribs, but not as frequently.
    So if you want to be Vegan ; go right ahead. Keep in mind to fulfill your body's nutritional needs.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    The two biggest squishyest most unhealthy people I know are vegetarians...

All I know is that vegetarians can also be unhealthy and overweight.

Op - eggs are a great source of protein and not too expensive.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    gorymeraz wrote: »
    even lean proteins will make you gain more weight than a vegan diet eating the same amount of calories.

Lol
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You ll certainly lose muscle faster...
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

I do like eggs but what can I have with them instead of bread? as I'd like to reduce grains too.. I bought GF bread this time incase my prob was wheat belly, its so expensive though so can't afford as much bread so it has to last longer. Next time I can get a free food delivery now is about 6th Jan. (if not snowed in then) I do use GF pasta and use rice more, tried quinoa and lentils before and didn't like them.

I thought meat would add an extra couple of hundred cals to a meal easily for example a bowl of salad consisting of:

lettuce
    1 medium sliced tomato
    bit of raw onion
    2-3 pieces of sliced beetroot

sometimes have grated carrot on top if i have carrots in but thats my basic 'side salad' with a small squeeze of salad cream on .. if add half a tin of tuna to that or a bit of cheese, or small sweet potato surely that wouldn't total same amount of calories than if you add a large chicken breast or a small chicken thigh? ..which would surely take your healthy meal to 500 cals or over?
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    The first time i gained weight was when i went veggie. I stayed about 20lbs over my usual weight the 12 years i was veggie. its cico that matters and i feel much fuller and am much much lighter as an omnivore.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you put 2 people on a 2k cals diet, on of veggies and one of meat(both in a deficit)

the meat one will lose weight, yes, but he would lose weight slower than the one in the veggies diet.

nope, dead wrong.

there loss will be roughly the same within about 5% of each other.

also, good luck eating 2000 calories of just vegetables or just meat, as both diets would be lacking in nutrients and macros….
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I do like eggs but what can I have with them instead of bread? as I'd like to reduce grains too..

I don't like bread that much, so have never eaten it with breakfast. I eat most mornings a two egg vegetable omelet. Since I usually like a few more calories at breakfast I typically have some other sort of protein -- cottage cheese or smoked salmon, most often -- on the side and maybe some fruit.

IMO, protein helps a lot with staying satisfied on fewer calories, which is why going veggie wouldn't help me lose or maintain my weight. (Going vegan probably would, since it would cut out some high cal things I love, like cheese, but I don't think I could sustain it without an ethical commitment.)

If you don't like lots of vegetarian protein sources, like legumes, this is going to be tougher.
    I thought meat would add an extra couple of hundred cals to a meal easily for example a bowl of salad consisting of:

lettuce
    1 medium sliced tomato
    bit of raw onion

sometimes have grated carrot on top if i have carrots in but thats my basic 'side salad' with a small squeeze of salad cream on .. if add half a tin of tuna to that or a bit of cheese, or small sweet potato surely that wouldn't total same amount of calories than if you add a large chicken breast or a small chicken thigh? ..which would surely take your healthy meal to 500 cals or over?

Tuna is meat. Chicken and turkey breast, like fish, are pretty low cal. Lean pork and beef isn't much higher cal. It all depends on what you add. But also you need protein, and vegetarian sources of protein can be just as high cal, depending -- beans to me are very filling for their calories, but a serving size is similar calories to a normal serving of meat, IMO. Cheese or full fat dairy is obviously higher. Eggs are great, but their protein per calorie is worse than lean meat.

Anyway, it all depends on your goals.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    wow, people is dense.

if you put 2 people on a 2k diet, on of veggies and one on meat(deficit)

the meat one will lose weight, yes, but he would lose weight slower than the one in the veggies diet.

one would be hard pressed to eat 2K worth of veggies...and they would also be lacking nutritionally. vegans eat more than just veggies. i know fat vegetarians and fat vegans and fat omnivores.

I know seriously who can eat 2000 cal of vegetables!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I do like eggs but what can I have with them instead of bread?
    as I'd like to reduce grains too.. I bought GF bread this time incase my prob was wheat belly, its so expensive though so can't afford as much bread so it has to last longer. Next time I can get a free food delivery now is about 6th Jan. (if not snowed in then) I do use GF pasta and use rice more, tried quinoa and lentils before and didn't like them.

lettuce
    1 medium sliced tomato
    bit of raw onion

I usually have potatoes as a a non-grain starchy carb to go with eggs. I cook extra for dinners so there are leftovers. I've also had beans with eggs. If you do end up reducing animal protein, I suggest adding legumes to several meals.

For your questions about calories with meals - use the food diary and see. Put in all the foods and their weights and see what you get than decide which you'll want to use.

Put in a few sample days and see where your calorie and protein counts land. Because your ability to exercise is limited, you need to be especially careful about preserving muscle as you lose weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat more meatless meals than I used to mainly to save money. Some are lower calorie than meals with meat but some are not. You aren't automatically going to lose more weight. You need to know the calories you are consuming no matter what food you eat and stick to your calorie goal. Weigh and measure your food and log as accurately as you can no matter what you eat.

If you are going to eat meatless meals you may have to plan more diligently to get enough protein. Look up foods with protein. A lot of vegetables are pretty low calorie. Some fruits are not super low calorie.Figure out the portion size that fits your calorie goal.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/protein-for-vegetarians/view-all
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

1000 calories a day is too restrictive a plan for most people to get enough nutrition or sustain. If you are 5'4" tall like me then even as a sedentary person you should be losing weight eating a minimum of 1200 calories.
    I make this recipe without the sausage for beans and rice and it is very tasty- http://www.food.com/recipe/treebeards-red-beans-and-rice-121498

Soup is economical and vegetable, bean or lentil soups can be lower calorie. Leftover soup reheats well and could be frozen. Bean burritos could be made ahead and frozen. Eggs cook fast.

http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/nutrition/g163/50-foods-under-100-calories/?thumbnails
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1938
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/300-calorie-dinners/view-all
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/healthy-eating/top-10-lunch-recipes-under-300-calories
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/14995/everyday-cooking/special-diets/low-calorie/300-calorie-main-dishes/vegetarian/?internalSource=hub nav&referringId=14987&referringContentType=recipe hub&linkName=hub nav daughter&clickId=hub nav 2

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    You can survive a fall from any height by flapping your arms right before you hit the ground.
    In the event you are in free fall in an elevator just jump prior to impact. No harm will come to you.

will you guys feel guilty if I go try this right now? will it help if I am eating a hamburger on impact?

Um...don't try this? Crud. I didn't think this through.

It is too late, but hopefully pulverized leg bone weighs less than whole bone? :)

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    OP: most young teens will have a "chubby" stage before growing. The girl in question probably would have slimmed out as she grew with or without meat.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I eat more meatless meals than I used to mainly to save money. Some are lower calorie than meals with meat but some are not. You aren't automatically going to lose more weight. You need to know the calories you are consuming no matter what food you eat and stick to your calorie goal. Weigh and measure your food and log as accurately as you can no matter what you eat.

If you are going to eat meatless meals you may have to plan more diligently to get enough protein. Look up foods with protein. A lot of vegetables are pretty low calorie. Some fruits are not super low calorie.Figure out the portion size that fits your calorie goal.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/protein-for-vegetarians/view-all
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

1000 calories a day is too restrictive a plan for most people to get enough nutrition or sustain. If you are 5'4" tall like me then even as a sedentary person you should be losing weight eating a minimum of 1200 calories.
    I make this recipe without the sausage for beans and rice and it is very tasty- http://www.food.com/recipe/treebeards-red-beans-and-rice-121498

Soup is economical and vegetable, bean or lentil soups can be lower calorie. Leftover soup reheats well and could be frozen. Bean burritos could be made ahead and frozen. Eggs cook fast.

http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/nutrition/g163/50-foods-under-100-calories/?thumbnails
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1938
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/300-calorie-dinners/view-all
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/healthy-eating/top-10-lunch-recipes-under-300-calories
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/14995/everyday-cooking/special-diets/low-calorie/300-calorie-main-dishes/vegetarian/?internalSource=hub nav&referringId=14987&referringContentType=recipe hub&linkName=hub nav daughter&clickId=hub nav 2

Loads of great useful links thanks! :)

That beans and rice recipe does sound nice. I wonder if Quorn sausage would be lower cal than pork sausages?

I do like eggs but usually have my eggs on toast and trying to reduce my intake of bread, but can't think what else i could put the egg on. I'm not sure if the potato rosti things (or hash browns) have flour to bind them so they stay together and don't just fall apart in the pan?

I do a chunky tomato soup, using winter veg mix of frozen veg boiled first then drained and pour over tomato with hint of chilli soup (or tomato and red pepper soup I like too) and simmer a bit longer until the soup warms right though and that lasts a couple of days.

I do mainly eat white meat and fish and not as keen on red meat. I did eat a lot of 'processed meat' before though such as bacon, sausages, sliced hams etc which I want to cut out. I like white fish (not keen on salmon) and I like prawns but usually have them in a curry as a change from chicken. Also like fish/prawns with a sweet chilli sauce.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    personally I don't know any fat vegetarians!

One of my best friends is a vegetarian...she is overweight...her diet actually really sucks...she is vegetarian, but eats primarily "junk" type of foods. Not all vegetarians are sitting around eating lentils and salads or otherwise consuming healthy, nutritious foods. She practically lives off of processed veggie burgers and bags of chips or french fries...and lots of chocolate and drinks soda seemingly by the gallon. Any WOE can be as healthy or unhealthy as you want to make it.

Conversely, I am an omnivore...while I do eat meat, a substantial portion of my diet is plant based...I eat a lot of whole grains, lentils, legumes, potatoes and sweet potatoes, veggies, fruit, nuts, etc....most of my meat comes from fish and chicken and lean cuts of pork (like pork tenderloin) and occasionally lean cuts of beef. I get most of my fats from things like avocados and nuts and cooking with olive oil and the like...my diet consists largely of nutrient dense whole foods and minimally processed food stuffs and while I do eat "junk" here and there, it is a minimal part of my diet.

There are many good reasons for going vegetarian, but being vegetarian doesn't auto default to losing weight...there are vegetarians with solid diets and vegetarians with *kitten* diets just as there are omnivores with solid diets and omnivores with *kitten* diets.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    personally I don't know any fat vegetarians!

One of my best friends is a vegetarian...she is overweight...her diet actually really sucks...she is vegetarian, but eats primarily "junk" type of foods. Not all vegetarians are sitting around eating lentils and salads or otherwise consuming healthy, nutritious foods. She practically lives off of processed veggie burgers and bags of chips or french fries...and lots of chocolate and drinks soda seemingly by the gallon. Any WOE can be as healthy or unhealthy as you want to make it.

Conversely, I am an omnivore...while I do eat meat, a substantial portion of my diet is plant based...I eat a lot of whole grains, lentils, legumes, potatoes and sweet potatoes, veggies, fruit, nuts, etc....most of my meat comes from fish and chicken and lean cuts of pork (like pork tenderloin) and occasionally lean cuts of beef. I get most of my fats from things like avocados and nuts and cooking with olive oil and the like...my diet consists largely of nutrient dense whole foods and minimally processed food stuffs and while I do eat "junk" here and there, it is a minimal part of my diet.

There are many good reasons for going vegetarian, but being vegetarian doesn't auto default to losing weight...there are vegetarians with solid diets and vegetarians with *kitten* diets just as there are omnivores with solid diets and omnivores with *kitten* diets.

^*nod nod*

I went vegetarian for about a year - mostly because I thought it'd make me lose weight (even though I knew fat vegans and vegetarians, I convinced myself if I did it, it'd happen) and that it'd make me "healthier". Well it didn't. I ended up at my highest weight ever and I wasn't just eating cookies and sweets either. Also, I got ridges in my nails because I wasn't diligent about protein.

As many others have pointed out - if you want to do it, that's fine. But thinking it's some miracle fat loss diet or it'll automatically make you healthier isn't right. You need to research and realize that you'll still need to be diligent about how much you eat and that you are meeting your nutritional needs.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    What a thread ride! Balance is the key. MFP premium features will help you get your key nutrients in. I agree with a Mediterranean style plan with plenty of fresh veggies, whole fruits, beans, nuts, seeds, fatty fish, and lean meat/dairy protein if one eats that. Count the calories to keep from overeating, but don't put all your calories in any one macronutrient. I think the newer thinking is that a calorie is not a calorie. That was an older message. And exercise with no excuses. Everyone can do something.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    What a thread ride! Balance is the key. MFP premium features will help you get your key nutrients in. I agree with a Mediterranean style plan with plenty of fresh veggies, whole fruits, beans, nuts, seeds, fatty fish, and lean meat/dairy protein if one eats that. Count the calories to keep from overeating, but don't put all your calories in any one macronutrient. I think the newer thinking is that a calorie is not a calorie. That was an older message. And exercise with no excuses. Everyone can do something.

Nope. A calorie is still a calorie. That is like saying an inch is not an inch.