Are you guys gonna quit the diet for christmas?

Options
12346»

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Quit? No. Take a day or two "off"? Sure.

I have a handful of days per year that I have no calorie goals. I don't aim to eat everything in sight, but I don't set calorie goals either. It works out to fewer than ten days per year - those 10 days didn't make me fat, the other 355 did. Now I keep to my goal on the 355 and let the 10 be as they will.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I will eat on cookie day, sample espresso crinkles and pistachio cookies to try and guess temperature. I generally will workout -- going on walk.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Quitting is for P*SSIES
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yup haha. I lost 100 lbs this last year, being an avid baker, I plan to enjoy the next week. I still workout daily and make reasonable choices through out the day, just with cookies now haha. Anything I'll gain, I'll lose when I stop baking as much, gotta enjoy my life still haha.
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    On Christmas Eve and Christmas day, maintenance is what I'll be shooting for but I'll indulge a little. I'll have a whole new year to burn it off. Hopefully, it doesn't take that long. Ha. I'm also going to be on a week long vacation to Florida right after Christmas. It's going to be rough staying within my calorie limit! Hopefully, I can incorporate a lot of outdoor activities to compensate for all the eating out. Well, like I said, I'll have a whole new year to work it off.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat what I want to. And log it.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    i dont diet. so... no?

however i will be eating at maintenance and working out to earn even more goodies. and if i gain a couple of pounds im sure as heck not going to worry about it lol

This
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I will eat on cookie day, sample espresso crinkles and pistachio cookies to try and guess temperature. I generally will workout -- going on walk.

I'm pretty sure you meant 'Christmas day' but if there really is a designated 'cookie day', I'm totally not skipping that ;):D
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm going to do what I do any other time this comes up. I'm going to eat at maintenance for the week and eat what I want. Some days will be in a surplus, others will be in a deficit. It isn't a big deal if I don't lose weight over the week.

About the only thing this means is that I'm mindful not to pig down on the candy sitting on the table all day, otherwise I get to eat pretty much everything. Eating 200-300 calories of candy (m&m's, kisses, etc...) is one thing, eating 1000 because they are out on the table just isn't worth it, not when there is other wonderful food and deserts to be had.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    :Note to self - find out how many calories are in Bailey's Irish Cream, plan accordingly:[/quote

I'll have to find out too but unfortunately I know I could drink 1200 calories worth of baileys, no problem!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'll have to find out too but unfortunately I know I could drink 1200 calories of baileys, no problem!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I will do what I did for thanksgiving, and what I'm doing for this coming weekend, extra cardio without eating back most of the calories. Going to Star Wars at IMAX on saturday night, so there will be dinner out (healthier choices), alcohol and popcorn (no butter, I hate that fake stuff).

Sunday we're going to Universal Studios, not too worried there since there's lots of walking involved, though I'm sure I'll be enjoying more adult beverages and food thats normally not on my 1200 calorie list. Monday will be back to cardio to get me back on track.

Christmas, we're not going anywhere, just the 2 of us, I'm cooking the turkey, I will enjoy stuffing, sweet potato (baked not marshmallowed ewww), a veggie TBT and homemade apple pie ( I can control the amount of sugar I put in that, and not eat all of the crust). I will skip buying eggnog, normally a favorite holiday treat for me. Good chance we'll walk dogs and maybe cycle in there somewhere. Of course more alcohol, my biggest calorie vice.

If I keep up the workouts I expect holidays to be nothing more than a maintainence level calorie count. One day won't hurt, as long as I have calories saved and keep up with the activity. I just hit 10 lbs lost today and I'm really not interested in messing up my progress!

100% back on track December 26th!
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm doing the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet, and I'm going to be travelling over the holidays. I'm going to make as many good choices as possible, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I have one too many cookies. I don't get to see my family very often, so I'm going to enjoy myself and not get obsessive. I'll try to do the fast days, if they fit into our schedule. We're also planning lots of outdoor activities, which should cancel out some extra calories, so I'm not going to worry about it. I may not lose, but I don't expect to gain.
  • ToriGabrielle
    ToriGabrielle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat whatever I want and however much I want on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Eve. Other then that I will try and stick to the normal routine. These three days come once a year.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy the day and not worry too much about calories. But I'm going to make an effort not to go overboard. I don't feel comfortable eating the way I used to eat. I'll probably go for a run in the morning to burn off some calories in advance. Especially as the temperature will be in the 60's.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others that I'm not on a diet (well now I'm in maintenance but even when I was losing I didn't consider it a diet). I've never cut out any particular food, haven't radically changed my behavior when dining out or at special events/holidays - so I definitely won't this year. Plus, I weighed in actually a pound below the bottom of my maintenance range this morning, so I have a very large buffer to work with in the next couple of weeks. Which is good, since I have a holiday open house tonight, dinner out with friends tomorrow night, movie day on Sunday, holiday work lunch on Monday, Mexican feast with my family Tuesday, brunch Weds, brunch Thurs, Ravioli dinner Thursday night, Monkey Bread and Baileys on Christmas morning, husband's family celebration Christmas evening.

In between all that eating, I will still work out, maybe more than usual since I will be off work for a lot of this time.

I just checked last year - I was 3,119 cals over my weekly goal for the week of Dec 22-28th. That's with no restrictions whatsoever, eating and drinking basically whatever I wanted. If I did that again, I would gain a pound since this year I'm in maintenance. Definitely not something that is going to cause me stress or angst, or cause me to change my plans for the next couple of weeks.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't like Christmas food, lucky me. o:) Christmas traditions also make me cringe (family issues), so I'm not obligated to do anything Christmas-y.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm going to eat what I want to. And log it.

This.

That being said, we don't focus so much on food on Christmas as much as we do on Thanksgiving in my family. I also don't deny myself foods I'd normally eat so what we do have, I'll be eating, just not in excess. I may go over my cals, but I definitely won't stress about it. This is a lifestyle and there will always be holidays, birthdays, anniversaries and so on. If I let myself eat as much as I use to because of a special occasion, I'll be right back to where I was.

• Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I came to MFP to lose some weight, and learn to live life more healthfully *forever*. Real life is going to include eating a bit extra on truly special occasions. Christmas is a special occasion. "Someone brought cookies to work" is not a special occasion.

So, I plan to enjoy some special food & drink on Christmas or at *rare* parties, but fit anything else into my daily goals (sometimes by "saving up", sometimes by eating more lightly the rest of the day, sometime with extra activity). I'll likely do some of the same to mute the effect of the special events, as well . . . just as I plan to do forever.

Everything gets logged, as honestly as possible, estimating when necessary (and trying, if anything, to over-estimate). If the scale happens to move up a little, I know how to make it move down.

This ... I'll make the healthiest choices possible on Christmas Day, but not worry about going over. I will go for a long walk and I will log everything.