Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You may not realise but Protein causes fluctuations in insulin too

I sometimes wonder whether people understand what insulin is for in the body

Where's that chart correlating increase in sugar and decrease in obesity rates in USA in the last decade?
    (The study you cite is flawed. (Even the USDA admits as much.)) There is no correlation, overall, of specific individuals' changes in sugar consumption vs weight. This also allows no consideration of the increase in obesity worldwide as compared to increased soft drink/high sugar consumption.

Nice try, but you are wrong. Your pancreas does not take its cues for insulin production from taste buds. If that were the case, people drinking diet soda (except type 1 diabetics) will become hypoglycemic after consumption. How many people do you know about who went to the ER or to the morgue because diet soda-induced hypoglycemia?

Yes. Protein does cause fluctuations in insulin. Pretty much everything you consume is broken down into sugars in your system during processing. Sugar is actually a nutrient and the body needs a certain amount of that to function properly. Sugars, even artificial ones, are processed in the body as sugar. The difference is "real" sugars are converted into energy to be used by the body. Artificial sugars are not. Those artificial sugars 'confuse' the body (for lack of a better word). And, no, it's got nothing to do with the taste buds, it's how the body and the brain respond to the cues.

And, no, the pancreas does not "...take its cues for insulin production from the taste buds." It is far more complex than that.

I'm not telling you to not drink diet soda. If that helps you to maintain your diet and your calorie consumption, then good for you. I'm just saying...
    All calories are NOT created equal.

Please could you link th source do this...would like to read :)

But yes of course the correlation is just that ...a correlation, but are you asking for a worldwide correlation
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    All soda is acidic and leaches calcium from your bones and creates holes in your aura which is your defense against negativity and lower energies and much more also diet soda is terrible it messes with weight loss the fake sweetness and aspartame tricks your body into thinking you are getting a sugar rush so your body will stress and try and get rid of the sugar but there isn't any and doesn't calm down toll the soda leaves your body and also soda and diet messes with your clairaudient abilities psychic hearing ability
    You will have trouble hearing your angels and guidance in general better off sticking with water if you are looking for a good book angel detox from doreen virtue touches on alot of stuff

This may be the best sentence I have ever read on MFP.

Sugar-free Red Bull FTW.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Also I absolutely LOATHE this saying. It's stupid. Not all kilometers are created equal!!! Because it's better for you to walk one instead of drive one!!!!!! As if that changes the kilometer.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Anytime I eat something with artificial sweeteners my cravings for sweets skyrockets. Nonetheless, once in a while I still indulge in some artificially sweetened snacks or diet soda once in a blue moon.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    Also that's a new one. Diet soda is fine but milk is the devil. Can't say I've seen that combo before.

I did not to say Milk is the devil, but it should be perceived in the same light as sugary sodas and juices. It is a source of calories that can easily be overdone.

Diet soda on the other hand have little to no calories and IMO could be seen in same light as unsweet ice tea or even water.

So the gist of the video (I didn't and don't care to watch it either) is "milk has calories"?

I'm not sure we really needed an outside source confirming this...
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    Also that's a new one. Diet soda is fine but milk is the devil. Can't say I've seen that combo before.

I did not to say Milk is the devil, but it should be perceived in the same light as sugary sodas and juices. It is a source of calories that can easily be overdone.

Diet soda on the other hand have little to no calories and IMO could be seen in same light as unsweet ice tea or even water.

Of course it's a source of calories. But it has a pretty good nutrient profile. Cutting it out completely because it has calories is silly.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

Also I absolutely LOATHE this saying. It's stupid. Not all kilometers are created equal!!! Because it's better for you to walk one instead of drive one!!!!!! As if that changes the kilometer.

I hear you say this in Sean Connery's voice with this look on your face...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25281-1405723814-5.gif
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was not trying to derail this thread and talk about the health of milk. Our current and past pediatrician told us less than 5 oz of milk a day and preferably none. The video I linked goes into to some of these issues more. I leave it at that.

My point was I like many people here see no problems with drinking diet soda because the arguments against them have no good science supporting them. On this topic "Diet soda, really that bad?" if you are in the same camp as me, do you let your kids drink soda?
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I shall not refer to a youtube video, thank you very much. Some research would be nice.

If someone can find me a YouTube video that says beer & bourbon (separately, not together) > water, I shall take it as Gospel

Alas I did take this as gospel Saturday night, and my body tried to dispel the notion sunday morning. But I encourage everyone to test it at least once a month for mental sanity.

• akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I grew up with diabetic parents, so diet soda was just part of my life for a really long time (I'm not a fan of the taste), I don't think there's much of a difference since it's all bad for you, but I've since given soda up in general. When I do get the craving for soda I just make room in my calories, and go for a can of regular (it tastes better, and satisfies the craving more than diet). If you're gonna do it, do it, just make sure you've allotted it into your day! :)
  • stevencloser
    Options
    akern1987 wrote: »
    I grew up with diabetic parents, so diet soda was just part of my life for a really long time (I'm not a fan of the taste), I don't think there's much of a difference since it's all bad for you, but I've since given soda up in general. When I do get the craving for soda I just make room in my calories, and go for a can of regular (it tastes better, and satisfies the craving more than diet). If you're gonna do it, do it, just make sure you've allotted it into your day! :)

It's not. Really. Damn those stupid clickbait "health" websites perpetuating one myth after another.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You may not realise but Protein causes fluctuations in insulin too

I sometimes wonder whether people understand what insulin is for in the body

Where's that chart correlating increase in sugar and decrease in obesity rates in USA in the last decade?
    (The study you cite is flawed. (Even the USDA admits as much.)) There is no correlation, overall, of specific individuals' changes in sugar consumption vs weight. This also allows no consideration of the increase in obesity worldwide as compared to increased soft drink/high sugar consumption.

Nice try, but you are wrong. Your pancreas does not take its cues for insulin production from taste buds. If that were the case, people drinking diet soda (except type 1 diabetics) will become hypoglycemic after consumption. How many people do you know about who went to the ER or to the morgue because diet soda-induced hypoglycemia?

And, no, the pancreas does not "...take its cues for insulin production from the taste buds." It is far more complex than that.

Go on... explain.

And answer the question - if your body increases insulin production as a result of drinking diet soda, why are more people not dying from it?!
  • loserzack
    loserzack Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    yes! stay away from it!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    loserzack wrote: »
    yes! stay away from it!

Strong argument, bro
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    just terrible. bad. evil
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    yes! stay away from it!

Strong argument, bro

I guess we'll have to wait for the rest of the post with the science part in it.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    yes! stay away from it!

Strong argument, bro

I guess we'll have to wait for the rest of the post with the science part in it.

image.jpg?w=400&c=1
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    Except for Diet Mt Dew, which just tastes like battery acid and orange juice strained through a little meth, all diet cokes taste like rabid monkey *kitten*.

I've never tasted battery acid or rabid monkey *kitten* so I can neither confirm or deny this statement. But I do applaud your culinary adventurism.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    PeiDub wrote: »
    I quit drinking soda for a few years. Since re-introducing it to my diet, I've actually found that it curbs my sugar cravings.

But if you're finding the opposite, then yeah, you should probably stop drinking it.

I've found that since ditching regular and switching to diet, I can't even finish a 20oz anymore without feeling like "...eh..what's the point? It's not that great." I prefer the 7oz cans, if I even ever drink one anymore.

• Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of diet soft drink, though I used to be 8-10 years ago! Now I'll drink the real stuff if I ever feel the urge which is rare - maybe a few times a year. If it's a sugar hit I am after I'm much more likely to go for chocolate - yummm!

I do reach for a mineral water if I feel the need for something with a bit of fizz.