Diet soda? Really that bad?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's about raising the ph of the mouth, diet drinks don't do this ...

You should never brush your teeth within 30 minutes of eating foods that raise the ph of your mouth ...you can neutralise with cheese

it's standard dental advice, I'm surprised you haven't heard this before

Just one of many reasons that eating cheese is a good thing. :D

As far as the OP - I've been drinking diet soda for decades, usually have at least one a day. Doesn't do anything to trigger cravings in me and I haven't exploded. spontaneously combusted or rotted away yet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    Wow. I'm kind of amazed by this thread. Lots of pro- diet soda people out there.

As a kid I got totally addicted to diet coke. I'm talking addicted. Didn't feel healthy, didn't feel right. I think there is some bad stuff inside those cans. But thats just like, my opinion, man...

I would bet most of us aren't pro-soda so much, as we are anti-fear mongering. Personally, I prefer not to drink my calories, but at the end of the end, I recognize it's ok to do. I drink diet Mt. Dew because I enjoy the taste it (well I didn't at first but do now since I switched about 2 years ago). But I also drink 150oz+ of water. And in particular, I start drinking water right after I drink soda (was told to do so by my dentist).

Ultimately, health and wellness is about context. A regular soda isn't going to hurt your goals and neither will diet. But you should prioritize things based on goals.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Wow. I'm kind of amazed by this thread. Lots of pro- diet soda people out there.

As a kid I got totally addicted to diet coke. I'm talking addicted. Didn't feel healthy, didn't feel right. I think there is some bad stuff inside those cans. But thats just like, my opinion, man...
    Pro diet soda because PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES don't show it's detrimental even if you have it daily.

Not sure it's so clear - http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3576 "Habitual consumption of sugar sweetened beverages was associated with a greater incidence of type 2 diabetes, independently of adiposity. Although artificially sweetened beverages and fruit juice also showed positive associations with incidence of type 2 diabetes, the findings were likely to involve bias. None the less, both artificially sweetened beverages and fruit juice were unlikely to be healthy alternatives to sugar sweetened beverages for the prevention of type 2 diabetes."
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Pro diet soda because PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES don't show it's detrimental even if you have it daily.

Not sure it's so clear - http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3576 "Habitual consumption of sugar sweetened beverages was associated with a greater incidence of type 2 diabetes, independently of adiposity. Although artificially sweetened beverages and fruit juice also showed positive associations with incidence of type 2 diabetes, the findings were likely to involve bias. None the less, both artificially sweetened beverages and fruit juice were unlikely to be healthy alternatives to sugar sweetened beverages for the prevention of type 2 diabetes."

Not sure if you read the thing you quoted your self.
    It doesn't prevent it means drinking more won't decrease your likelihood.
    And the part I bolded says there's likely no real association with increasing the likelihood.
    And what does not decreasing + not increasing give you? Something neutral.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    May I also add that those two sentences almost read like the ssb is also just incidentally there?
    First it says that artificial sweetened beverages are probably only shown to have positive association with t2d because of biases, then goes on to say they don't decrease the risk compared to ssb.
    So it's not really lower than ssb, but also not increased. Which would mean ssb also don't really increase it.
    Maybe they just derped while formulating the sentences and meant something different.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Folks, water is a fine drink. I drink 'black' unadulterated coffee and tea, some skim milk, and water. I'm just not wanting to put extra chemicals or added sugar/HFCS into my body for it to have to handle it. There are enough chemicals in our environment and purposely adding extra for the sake of taste or bubbles makes no sense to me.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    The bubbles are the result of carbonic acid, a scary acid that is very volatile.
    So volatile it loses its bonds and turns into water and carbon dioxide by itself, causing bubbles to rise in the liquid.
    It's one of the scary chemicals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Folks, water is a fine drink. I drink 'black' unadulterated coffee and tea, some skim milk, and water. I'm just not wanting to put extra chemicals or added sugar/HFCS into my body for it to have to handle it. There are enough chemicals in our environment and purposely adding extra for the sake of taste or bubbles makes no sense to me.

And that is fine. You don't have to drink soda. It's all personal preference.

And to point out, everything is made up of chemicals:

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg
  • lapry
    lapry Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Last summer I FINALLY got off Diet Dr. Pepper. I did notice that my sugar cravings were much less and I felt better! I have started back up again ( when I am sick I crave it really bad and I have had 2 sinus infections and pneumonia this year) Since being back on it, my sugar cravings are back and losing is harder so in my opinion and experience, it is bad. But I am also badly addicted so quitting is tough!!!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Caffeine.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

With all due respect, the MFP blog is well known to publish a bunch of ridiculous derp. I wouldn't let my 4th grader use it as a source for a "what I did over summer vacation" essay.
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Hard pressed to believe that the reason I would eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting is because I had a Diet Dew with lunch...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is only bad if it's Diet Pepsi.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Diet Ginger Ale is good. I also drink flavored club soda for the fizzies. My dentist prefers that I drink diet instead of regular Coke so I'm going to go with his opinion.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

More from the full text.

"When we examined the potential influence of residual confounding by measured adiposity, bias towards the null appeared substantial for artificially sweetened beverages (see supplementary figure S4). Under a realistic assumption of a correlation of 0.80 between measured and true adiposity,36 the association for sugar sweetened beverages was attenuated by 26% (relative risk 1.20, 1.04 to 1.38), for artificially sweetened beverages was attenuated by 96% (1.01, 0.81 to 1.25), and for fruit juice was strengthened by 19% (1.12, 1.03 to 1.22)."

"We rated the evidence for artificially sweetened beverages and fruit juice to be of low quality. Findings for artificially sweetened beverages were likely to have publication bias and residual confounding; and for fruit juice, the positive association was not stable and varied by study design."

"Reverse causality could also exist because of unmeasured comorbid conditions and health consciousness that might alter consumption of beverages, particularly artificially sweetened ones, and risk of type 2 diabetes."

"Our analysis indicated possible publication bias for the associations between artificially sweetened beverages and type 2 diabetes. The bias toward a false positive finding would be plausible according to existing public interest over the health effects.6 77 The finding at least underscores potential low quality of evidence and the need for cautious interpretation. Residual confounding in the finding for artificially sweetened beverages is also plausible because adults at high risk of type 2 diabetes preferentially consumed more artificially sweetened beverages."

"None the less, the lower caloric intake of artificially sweetened beverages may be of clinical benefit in obese or overweight adults by helping to reduce body weight.6 78 This effect on body weight should be considered separately from our study, which could not rule out the effect of body weight on beverage consumption."

I still don't get why they're saying it's not a healthy alternative to sugary drinks after all those parts in their study.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    What about Diet Dr. Pepper?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

AMEN!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Pepsi is what you buy when they dont have coke :confounded:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Pepsi is what you buy when they dont have coke :confounded:

I still don't understand why waiters give me weird looks when I order a coke, they ask if pepsi is ok, and instead I ask for water...