Fat and Jealious new year

Options

Replies

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My two cents, seems the post was written while she was still a bit drunk.

That said, I personally got the impression you had the feeling about yourself last night that you were too hot to trot and were rude to that guy by shooing him. Confidence is great but not when it crosses the line into acting like you are too good for people. I could be wrong but that is my impression of the post.

I let my friends handle themselves, they are adult women and can tell a guy they aren't interested themselves. Unless the guy is going over the line I stay out of it and even then not by making shooing motions at someone.

He reacted poorly by calling you names and then reacted really badly by slapping him. BUT, learn from it and remember he said what he thought would hurt you, that was all it was about.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Methinks when the OP wakes up today on New Years Day she's going to be filled with regret, hopefully she has some good takeaways to help chase the hangover away including:

Don't let someone in a bar take away your confidence in yourself.

Social conversation/flirting in a bar is a positive social engagement with the opposite sex and not necessarily using someone to buy you drinks, although certainly some people approach it that way.

Inflicting physical harm on another person, even in the heat of the moment when you felt insulted, is never appropriate.

Posting on MFP in a drunken, emotional stupor is not likely to yield the outcome you were hoping for...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Unless the guy was getting physically or verbally aggressive with your friend *and* she was clearly unable to deal with it and was looking to you for help, your intervention was uncalled for and completely over-the-top.

And alcohol is clearly not your friend.
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sorry this happened. His words were hurtful and it sounds like it really affected you. Please don't let it both you. Ugly people spew ugly words.

However, violence is not the answer. You were wrong to hit him, plain and simple. While his words were ugly and hurtful, but they did not warrant physical violence.

Again, sorry this happened. I don't think anyone responding is trying to turn this around on you or make you feel worse, but you really need to open your eyes and be accountable to your actions.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    Wow, Happy new year! Your lucky he didn't have you arrested.
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your response was over the top. You intervened in a situation wasn't your business, shooed a man away like he was a dog, and when he said a few rude words you physically assaulted him. I think you need some sort of counseling to develop better social skills.

This. Your admitted jealousy and lack of confidence is (hopefully) the reason you are acting out. There is absolutely no reason you should be hitting anyone. Truth be told, I hope this is the wake up call you need.

NO HITTING.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Happy new year, artzy1989! Start fresh this morning and put behind you the bad feelings of last night - it sounds like there was a lot of alcohol influencing the situation on both sides.

It was horribly rude of this guy to call you fat and jealous, but as others have said, he was trying to hurt you likely in reaction to his bruised ego. It's easy to hurt most women by saying something about their weight - we're conditioned from an early age to be sensitive about how our bodies look. Ask yourself why his words hurt so much. Is it that there is an element of truth? I'm assuming that since you are on MFP and say you have 50+ extra pounds that you want to lose weight. For 2016, you can start the year off feeling hurt about this or decide to be empowered and positive. It's great that you can build your confidence from all the good qualities you know about yourself, but it's also important to be realistic and know the things you need to work on.

A bar is a place where people meet and flirt based on the most superficial characteristics, weight being one of the major things a guy will see about women. No man in a bar is going to look at you and see a woman who is fiesty, loyal, witty, smart, creative, loving and kind. You do sound like a pretty awesome friend, but remember that "the game" as you call it is shallow. If you want people to see YOU and not just your exterior, you need to try to connect in places other than bars. I'm saying all of this as someone who has gained 70+ pounds and lost nearly 50 of it myself over the years. It DOES affect how you meet men. It's up to you what you want to do about it - my personal opinion is to lose the weight for yourself, not for other people, because it will set you up for a healthy life, and to find someone based on deeper qualities by meeting through a hobby or activity.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You are probably an amazing person. I might be wrong but for me, a woman who has more attractive friends is pretty great.
    In this situation his words probably reflected the fact that you slapped him rather than anything else. He found the one thing that would hurt you... Too bad. You probably wrote this still hurting from his words. Let us know how you feel a couple of days later.

I can totally understand you not wanting to attract superficial men; I would just ask you if you give the time of day to guys you don't find physically attractive :/
    (I totally second @Mellie289 on places where you could meet guys based on non-superficial characteristics)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    The slap was completely wrong and over the top, and you say you wish it had gotten into a brawl?

Hitting someone, wishing that it could have escalated into a full-on assault, and the accompanying emotional meltdown all point to a problem. Both some counseling and cutting down on your drinking would probably be a very good idea.

I totally missed the part about wishing it could turn to punching or brawling. I reread the op after seeing this and was completely dumbfounded.
    Op- your reaction was terrible and wishing it could've further escalated into a brawl or punching is troublesome. This is an absolutely inappropriate way to react to words. He called you a name and you reacted with violence.
    First of all, you had no business shooing him away or saying anything to him. (Unless your friend was incoherent , which at that point you should've taken her home instead of worrying about guys flirting) I think you should've minded your own business and let your friend decline him. What gives you the right to hit someone because they called you names ? If your wondering why men aren't approaching you, maybe look into your attitude instead of worrying about weight. Plenty of men like larger women but not many like them rude with an attitude . not to mention , they probably don't want to be assaulted.
    I'd quit drinking if it leads you to behave this way and instead of drinking ,take the time to improve yourself.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Oooh I can feel the sting of his words and your slap! Sorry that all this happened. He was a jerk but because you hit him, you became the bigger jerk in the situation. Always behave better than the other person. It usually works out better for you if you do.

You could have been arrested. Lucky.

I wouldn't drink for awhile. Alcohol makes it easy for people to do stupid things. You can still have fun drinking water or diet soda. Besides, the calories are more valuable if you eat them instead of drinking alcohol.

You could be down 50+ pounds by 12/31/2016. That's what I would focus on.

• mandy318
    mandy318 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OP--that guy was a jacka##. Let me repeat: that guy was a jacka## and he is the person in the scenario you described who caused the interaction to go south.

You and your friends do not have to politely accept unwanted attention--especially if its not been reciprocated and the dude continues to not take a hint. He lacks social skills if it got to the point that he had to be told to move on and did not pick up on any other social cues. Then for him to react to a direct indication that he should move on by insulting you? Jacka##.

You probably shouldn't have slapped him--but I understand your frustration and anger.

The idea that women MUST behave politely in the face of blatant rudeness from men is misogynistic and backwards. It's that attitude that causes women to hand out fake phone numbers rather than reject a man because it's the safer route. Men--please learn how to graciously accept rejection..that will solve a lot of problems.

OP--Im sorry this jacka## ruined your night out. I know I struggle with this and so many women do--but I think the key is to keep that feel-good, sassy, take-on-the-world feeling for yourself...not for anyone else. If it belongs to you because you belive it to be true, no jerk in a bar can take it from you.

Have a wonderful new year!!!!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    All these people saying they understand why she reacted and hit him, to the ones not even ADDRESSING the fact that she physically assaulted someone....I'm curious:

Would this have been okay if a male did this to a female in the same scenario?
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I feel for you because you were hurt and humiliated. But the bottom line is, you physically assaulted someone! Unless your life, or someone else's life, is in danger, that's not ok.

You sound like a sensitive person, so put yourself in the other person's shoes. How would you feel if you were trying to talk to someone (maybe it took courage, maybe you were genuinely attracted to the person) and their friend "shooed" you away? Might you retaliate with a hurtful comment out of embarrassment?

None of us were there, so we can't really know what happened but even just from your side of things, it sounds like you might need to work on your social interactions. Lots of us need work in that area-don't feel bad about it, just learn from it and grow.

Ultimately, you will enjoy yourself way more if you think less about how you look/are perceived by others and more about how you can make others feel comfortable and good about themselves.
  • mandy318
    mandy318 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    All these people saying they understand why she reacted and hit him, to the ones not even ADDRESSING the fact that she physically assaulted someone....I'm curious:

Would this have been okay if a male did this to a female in the same scenario?

I haven't read anyone say she did the right thing. But why is all the outrage reserved for the REACTION to the poor behavior of the guy? I see it over and over again. Women are expected to fold their hands in their lap and say please stop endlessly when men come on strongly, over the top and after having already been asked to stop. Just because the guy is not physically attacking there is no justification for reaction?

The problem is that this guy has never learned that there is an appropriate time to back off when a woman is not reciprocating interest--leaving the OP in a situation where she has to become direct and forceful.

Don't hit. Don't react. Leave the building. Go to a different bar. How about putting the onus on this man to conduct himself appropriately.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Have you consrdered ketosis?

OP, don't listen to this guy. Extreme low-carbing helps with dementia, or so I've heard, but it does nothing to suppress a violent temper. I used to have extreme anger management issues, but when I started to eat a diet of moderation, I was magically cured of all impulses to overreact in a bar. Moderation is the key to your problem.
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think you need to think about whether or not he was right. I find, that when someone says something that really strikes me deep, it's because I believe they are right and I desperately don't want them to be. You probably do feel jealous that your friend is getting attention when you're not, and you probably do believe it's because you're fat. That's probably why you treated him the way that you did (shooing him away) and that probably hurt his feelings so he hurt yours. You can't really be angry for getting a retaliation after that, I think.

So to go on from there, I think you need to think about the vibration you're putting out there when you're meeting people. You seem to believe that you are a good person, and you probably are. If you want to attract a good person, you wouldn't do so by being so disrespectful as to shoo someone away like an irritating insect/animal. You would like to have your feelings respected, and you should respect others feelings in turn. Why did you feel like you needed to intervene on behalf of your friend? Be really honest with yourself about why you treated this stranger that way. What kind of energy are you putting into the world, if a flirtation with someone else turns into a physical altercation with you?

I think you need to think on it. Find remorse for your treatment of him and start to love yourself as you say you do. Really do it. If you really do it, and comments like that won't hurt because they won't be true.
  • Grrlonamission94
    Grrlonamission94 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Erm you assaulted someone and you are not repentant???

Is that how you react to all slights and insults?

Granted the guy was out of line to insult you but there is no need for violence.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I heard it can increase your alcohol tolerance and make you produce more pheremones that attract the opposite sex, so it could definitely help OP. >:)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

OP, don't listen to this guy. Extreme low-carbing helps with dementia, or so I've heard, but it does nothing to suppress a violent temper. I used to have extreme anger management issues, but when I started to eat a diet of moderation, I was magically cured of all impulses to overreact in a bar. Moderation is the key to your problem.

Moderation cured my explosive temper also.
This discussion has been closed.