From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Replies

• aimesuk
    aimesuk Posts: 51 Member
    Wow!

Thank you so much for posting this, I'm just starting out at almost exactly the same stats as your befores so I'm so happy to see this!
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Most awesome transformation young lady. keep working it!
  • GemFromJannah
    GemFromJannah Posts: 58 Member
    Appreciate the comments all! You help keep me positive. :smile:

Here is my latest video... Just a little personal history and some encouragement to the moms out there to never give up, no matter what life throws your way! We all struggle with different things in life but the most important thing is that we keep going.

With love. :heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlVyRJkaJA0

Oh my gosh, I can't stop crying!! This really actually gave me a lil bit of a boost!! Thank you!

My ex husband cheated on me through the first year of our marriage whilst I was pregnant with our first child. He became physically abusive. Whilst I was in labour he walked out on me during my contractions. He continued to flirt with other women for our 2nd year of marriage. Eventually I put on a lot of weight and lost all confidence and self esteem. Finally I left and had nothing, I had no money no home and a young baby. Thank God he made a way for me and my boy and we got settled. But I have so many emotional and mental scars that haunt me, so many insecurities. I don't look in the mirror without hating myself. I self-harmed and felt Suicidal. I lost all hope, feeling like I can't see a happy future, wondering who would ever want to be with me and look after me and my child. And just a few weeks ago I saw pictures of my ex, very happy in Paris with his girlfriend, kissing and hugging each other. And I just decided in that moment to turn to fitness and prove to myself I can be strong and I can be pretty. And I still have a huge amount of insecurities and worry about the future. And just now was actually unable to sleep and started praying. And I saw this video and everything happens by the will of God and maybe He directed me to it. Because seeing your story, your ups and downs and you meeting a good man and having beautiful children and a happy future and finding some happiness again after losing something so dear to you, it gave me a bit of hope. And seeing your weight loss has shown me it's possible and realistic with hard work and dedication. Thank you!! I really appreciated this video story
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Damn girl you are strong :) well done kudos to you :)
  • smileytree222
    smileytree222 Posts: 20 Member
    Hello MFPers!

I am 33 years old and 5'3". I started this difficult journey in Jan of 2014 at 205lbs and I had JUST hit a size 20!!! In Dec 2014, I got down to a size 8 and around 135lbs! I feel great and am loving who I am becoming now! I'm learning a TON and meeting a lot of great people in the process.

I came across MFP in June of last year. I have kept a moderate calorie deficit pretty consistently (500 or so each day), with my carbs and protein around 100g each while lifting weights regularly (in my home with my own collected equipment), 5-6 times/week. I didn't do much cardio, as I don't enjoy it. I do run on occasion though. I feel empowered now and I absolutely LOVE strength training! Planning to take new progress pics at the end of June so I'm looking forward to that. :)

Here is my story so far on realbodiesrealresults.com. Feel free to check it out! :blush:
    realbodiesrealresults.com/gen.html

Best wishes to you all, anything is possible if you don't give up! :heart:

fdfm4zk13syy.jpg

ofn9eb5b3li7.jpg

3thg10dkzn4h.jpg

mcs7xhgcpcti.jpg

jrkoda9hxmgh.png
    dum6683wmsay.jpg
    Wow!! You look amazing. Great job

• smileytree222
    What do you mean when you say "calorie deficit"? I try to stay around 1400 for weight loss
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    @GemFromJannah: Don't ever give up! There are mean and cruel people in the world but what they think of us or even do to us doesn't mean that it was deserved or that we should believe what was said. I've been there, in a different way. It hurts my heart to hear of your struggles but am SO glad you found encouragement from here. THAT is why I post these things, in hopes of turning someone around, even just a little bit, to start a life change for themselves. I know you can do this and you won't regret it. The self confidence you will gain on the inside is worth it all. Please keep going and know you are loved!!! Best to you, keep in touch. I've sent you a friend request here. :heart:

@111grace: Thank you! :blush:

@smileytree222: Being in a calorie deficit just means that you are burning more energy per day than you are consuming in calories. 1400 calories sounds reasonable! Know that your calorie needs depend on many things though, and very from person to person. It can change even throughout your own journey as you progress. Things like your current weight, your height, your activity level, whether you exercise or not and so on will matter when it comes to finding the right amount. It's all very much trial and error so don't give up! Give yourself a chance to see it through and to figure out what's best for you, as you go along. :smile:
  • GemFromJannah
    GemFromJannah Posts: 58 Member
    @GemFromJannah: Don't ever give up! There are mean and cruel people in the world but what they think of us or even do to us doesn't mean that it was deserved or that we should believe what was said. I've been there, in a different way. It hurts my heart to hear of your struggles but am SO glad you found encouragement from here. THAT is why I post these things, in hopes of turning someone around, even just a little bit, to start a life change for themselves. I know you can do this and you won't regret it. The self confidence you will gain on the inside is worth it all. Please keep going and know you are loved!!! Best to you, keep in touch. I've sent you a friend request here. :heart:

@111grace: Thank you! :blush:

@smileytree222: Being in a calorie deficit just means that you are burning more energy per day than you are consuming in calories. 1400 calories sounds reasonable! Know that your calorie needs depend on many things though, and very from person to person. It can change even throughout your own journey as you progress. Things like your current weight, your height, your activity level, whether you exercise or not and so on will matter when it comes to finding the right amount. It's all very much trial and error so don't give up! Give yourself a chance to see it through and to figure out what's best for you, as you go along. :smile:

That's really sweet of you - thank you
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    You are already a strong woman! And the best mom for your child! You don't need anyone else to take care of you or your baby. God has done this for a reason and he himself will find a way for you. ...Good luck with your journey!
    Appreciate the comments all! You help keep me positive. :smile:

Here is my latest video... Just a little personal history and some encouragement to the moms out there to never give up, no matter what life throws your way! We all struggle with different things in life but the most important thing is that we keep going.

With love. :heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlVyRJkaJA0

Oh my gosh, I can't stop crying!! This really actually gave me a lil bit of a boost!! Thank you!

My ex husband cheated on me through the first year of our marriage whilst I was pregnant with our first child. He became physically abusive. Whilst I was in labour he walked out on me during my contractions. He continued to flirt with other women for our 2nd year of marriage. Eventually I put on a lot of weight and lost all confidence and self esteem. Finally I left and had nothing, I had no money no home and a young baby. Thank God he made a way for me and my boy and we got settled. But I have so many emotional and mental scars that haunt me, so many insecurities. I don't look in the mirror without hating myself. I self-harmed and felt Suicidal. I lost all hope, feeling like I can't see a happy future, wondering who would ever want to be with me and look after me and my child. And just a few weeks ago I saw pictures of my ex, very happy in Paris with his girlfriend, kissing and hugging each other. And I just decided in that moment to turn to fitness and prove to myself I can be strong and I can be pretty. And I still have a huge amount of insecurities and worry about the future. And just now was actually unable to sleep and started praying. And I saw this video and everything happens by the will of God and maybe He directed me to it. Because seeing your story, your ups and downs and you meeting a good man and having beautiful children and a happy future and finding some happiness again after losing something so dear to you, it gave me a bit of hope. And seeing your weight loss has shown me it's possible and realistic with hard work and dedication. Thank you!! I really appreciated this video story

• sshammond598
    sshammond598 Posts: 13 Member
    Congrats and Wow!
  • rhonda6375
    rhonda6375 Posts: 32 Member
    you look great! Do you have any recommendations for building up your calves? When I was thin before, my calves were always too small in proportion to the rest of my body. I cannot do squats and lunges because of bad knees.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Thanks for sharing!
  • cozyirishlass
    cozyirishlass Posts: 1 Member
    WOW!! Amazing work!!! You are such an inspiration! What did your diet look like? How much protein/fat/carbs in a day? And what was your calorie total, as you used a deficit? Thank you in advance for the info! :)
  • shellz87
    shellz87 Posts: 7 Member
    Wow your hard work has paid off!
  • brillmer87
    brillmer87 Posts: 1,977 Member
    edited January 2016
    @GenElizabeth
    Welp, that's an amazing transformation.
    You totally look like Alyssa Milano in one of the pics! <3:love:
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    You look Just Great :) not only transformed your body but your face has completely changed too
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    @GenElizabeth I just found this post and read all of them from May 2015 to now. Congratulations on your bundle of joy! When you log your exercises do you log them under "strength" or "cardio"? They may sound like a silly question but I've always wanted to ask someone how are they doing it.
  • pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Hot damn! Look at all that muscle! You look stunning, happy and strong! Way to go!
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    Appreciate the love all. :heart:

@rhonda6375: Personally, I didn't do any calve work in specific. I wore heels though for many years prior so I'm sure that contributed to the lower leg definition for me. I did eventually start doing some incline treadmill towards the end. The higher the incline, the more the calves are recruited also. Swimming is a great overall leg exercise for bad joints too. Maybe try that or walking and build yourself up to more. One can always do calve raises - seated or not. :smile:

@Cifucanguess: I always logged my exercise under "Cardio" in MFP. For awhile I was using the pre-generated amount of calories burned that it gave me (I found that while it almost always overestimated my burn, it was relatively close). Eventually, I got a Polar HRM and edited it as needed.

@cozyirishlass: The video below explains all of which you were asking. Please feel free to check it out! Hope it helps! I am very pregnant here so viewers beware - I have gained weight!!! :tongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abasqdZRU3A

• smileytree222
    Thank you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!