WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Miriam - very good article. I liked the weight loss tips that are attached to it as well.
    Too high expectations and denying yourself are the biggest traps. For me my daily 600 cals of exercise is a life saver, but not everyone can do that. I didn't start at that level. :noway: I ENJOY my food - that's important and I don't go hungry. Cooking your own delicious food is helpful.
    Good luck everyone!
    Heather UK
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi I had a busy day yesterday decluttering and sorting drawers and cupboards in the dining room (which is also the computer room) I desperately tried not to move things from one drawer/cupboard to another like usual. Although I managed to get rid of lots of paper/old receipts etc I didn't really have a lot of things to throw out. Baby Steps Baby Steps :)

To say I spent most of the morning in there, when DD came home from work and I asked her what she thought she said "oh have you had a tidy" aagghhhh!! When she realised how needy I am with the praise, she said "No honestly it's looking better" o:)o:) It's still a work in progress though as it is by no means finished.

Today is the Kitchen, I've been following the clean sink routine for a few days now, so I'm slowly getting on top of the kitchen, but I'm going to give it a bit of a blitz before trashing it again making dinner. :o

I'm back at work tomorrow, so I might need to cut it back to only 15 mins as suggested. I'm still thinking about reducing my days, so will need to have a chat with my boss, I might leave it for a few months until my birthday then decide. Decisions decisions, I find I'm rubbish at making them now I'm on my own. The main reason I wanted to reduce my hours (or take early retirement) has now gone, it makes me so sad to think of all the plans we had for the future. Saying that though, I now want to reduce my hours for me.

I haven't read all the posts yet, too many and I need to get into the kitchen, but seems there are quite a few new people joining us on our journey. Welcome to you.

Better get on before I get too distracted!

Viv York UK - still raining but looking a little brighter.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hi Lori and welcome back! You'll soon be rid of those excess pounds you regained.
    Heather wrote: Penny at the Pole - I'm going to be in Longyearbyen on 10th June, Pyramiden and Barentsburg on 11th. I will be in Tromso on the 14th. :DB):D
    NOTED! I know I'll be in Longyearbyen 4 June because I plan to run the Spitsbergen half marathon again. This year I hope to competing against my daughter. She'll beat the stuffing out of me - probably finish in half the time - but that's okay. I'll make sure I don't leave until after the 10th. Chances are good I'll be in Tromsø or out at the island by the 14th, when your ship will probably pass right in front of our house. If so, I'll be sure to wave.
    I see you remember how important it is to bring your sunglasses B)
    Katla wrote: Perhaps you and your DH can do separate things together. DSIL and DBIL go to the gym together, but spend their time using different pieces of equipment. It is one big room so they can be together and do their own thing all at once.
    This is actually one of the things we discussed. I lift weights and said he could contemplate doing a stint on the treadmill. His employer subsidizes gym membership up to about 225 USD per year and allows two hours of fitness activity per week during paid working hours. (How's that for an employee health promotion policy?) I told him I try to go to the gym Mon-Wed-Fri early in the morning, and suggested we coordinate. That's when he said he was "intuitive" and didn't want to be hemmed in. Still, I think we'll give it an honest go.

Katla, I hear you about being "spoiled" by your riding teacher. What a great benefit! I hope your knee recovers so you can use the advantage to the full.

Katla and DJ - I'm sure we'll have a great time! The kids are on their way even as I write, but they texted to say they'd lost some of their luggage in Oslo. They may have to take a later ferry than planned. Oh, well... (DJ, they live just outside Stockholm, Sweden.)

Michele and others: I always have to count my blessings when I read about your picky eaters. My husband will eat anything I serve him! Heck, our kids have always eaten anything we served them. In my sister's family, they made special meals for the son, who wouldn't eat cheese. That always looked like too much work for me, so we just never let special meals become an option. They at least had to try something new before they refused to eat it. Then if they didn't want to eat it, they could go hungry. From about age 11-12, the kids also took turns being responsible for making dinner on Tuesdays. They are now both excellent cooks. (Our son is the main cook in his family, where mom is a vegetarian. She eats dairy, eggs and fish, though, which makes it easier.)

Hey Tracy - You're in wine country! I have old friends who used to live in the Willamette Valley. The best place on earth, they said.

Speaking of shiny sinks and neat kitchens, a little observation. I try to keep my sink shiny and it really does feel better coming to a clean kitchen in the morning. What I've noticed, however, is that I find it considerably easier maintaining the routine when I'm out at our island place - where I love the kitchen. I designed the house myself and put special effort into creating a kitchen I could live with. This kitchen is almost always clean. In our apartment in Tromsø, the kitchen is totally hopeless and I can never scrape together the dedication I need to clean up. It simply doesn't feel worth the effort.

Now I must get my act together and start helping my husband get the house ready for the invasion.
    See you sometime, though I may not get much computer time for the next couple of days.
    /Penny, currently not quite at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • lealbitz
    lealbitz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm finding everyone's posts so helpful. A couple of things - someone asked where to get a cheap Fitbit. I bought mine from eBay at a greatly reduced price. Just make sure you have a good band because the clasps on the flex models can be skimpy. I charged up mine for the first time in months - I figure it's a start. I start back at work tomorrow and am concerned over all the candy jars on people's desks. I get so tempted...... Any strategies to avoid would be appreciated.

Lynn
    PA
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am so HAPPY! I'm bursting!
    I sorted my shelves in the wardrobe. Threw masses away. :D Now it looks deeeeevine!
    Penny - I was so enthused and cut to the quick by your comment (♡) that I went back to the sock portion of my big drawer and threw most of it away. Including two bras that I have never worn. They are going go the charity shop.
    It feels sooooo gooooood. :D:drinker:

Expecting a supermarket delivery at any moment. :D Need it so I can cook the bolognese for dinner tonight. I will have it with green beans.

Love to all, Heather

eidrp7bv1tjo.jpg
  • Kerce61
    Kerce61 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new on here and just wanted to say Happy New year. I have been working on eating better for the last month and a half and I have lost 18 lbs. I am 54 and have gained a lot of weight so its time to do something about it. 70 lbs to go but taking it 5 lbs at a time and it is working for me. Hope you all make your goals and everything goes well.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon, evening, all. Welcome to all the new ones, we're glad you're here, and not just saying that--new voices always bring new perspective.

The tidying up and pitching stuff tickles me because we downsized from a three-bedroom place twice in the last five years, once to move up to Oregon, and the second time to move from Oregon back to Texas. The first time, we moved three people, and moved everything we chose to keep in two trucks, a pickup truck with a camper shell on it, and my little Ford Escape SUV. The second time, it was just the two of us, and we moved into a 27-foot-long 5th-wheel trailer. That was way harder for some reason.

We had to be completely ruthless with everything we owned, and ended up with much less than a third of what we had in the house. We sold the big furniture with the Oregon house, and kept only three pieces: A photo chest of my mother's, a cherry desk of mine (we took the dinette benches and table out of the trailer, which we stripped all the way to the studs to rehab) and a mattress. All family pictures on the wall went into an album, and so on. It was an education in what you miss when you get rid of it (which was almost nothing). I highly recommend moving a lot to keep your possessions to a minimum. :wink: We're still rattling around with a lot of empty space in the ranch house, after two years. We built most of the furniture we have, or bought it at garage sales and rehabbed it. The only exception is the two loveseats. Haven't quite figured out how to build upholstered furniture yet. Maybe this year! :smiley:

So pleased that I only gained three pounds on the week-long vacation, because I paid zero attention to what I ate, and didn't work out even once. I did have a couple days where I hit 10,000 steps with walks on the beach, etc.

That puts me at 178 pounds at the end of 2015, and I began the year at 210, so I'm fairly happy with that. I gained 11 pounds BACK the last two months of the year, which I'm not happy with, but past is past. Time to start again. I did get a gym membership in December as well, which I'm pleased about, and went a number of times before we headed out for our holiday. As there's no shower in the warehouse, it means I have to go to the gym to shower, and I feel guilty just going for that, so I work out first. Good motivation. :blush:

Exploring the local job market, so I touched base with the old friend who runs the local newspaper that I write for, to see if she's in the market for a managing editor. I doubt it, but figured it's worth putting it out there. Motel 6 needs a general manager for this region, Family Dollar is looking for a manager, and the local cellular company is looking for one as well, so I have a number of applications out there. We'll see what happens.

Not sweating it--what happens is what will happen. Funding the repairs on the warehouse is just going to take time--and we got it for such a good price that we can literally pay it off in a year and a half if we throw any money that I make at the mortgage. Then we can decide what to do next. so, taking a breath, had a two-month break from my lifestyle change, and it's back to just making sure that I'm lighter at the end of January than I was at the beginning. One day, one week, one month at a time - we can do this!

Cheers to new beginnings and fresh starts, and to those of you in maintenance mode--we use you for inspiration daily!

Love y'all
    Lisa in West Texas (and glad to be home!)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC, I am sorry I wasn't more clear. My son did not write that article, he just linked it on Facebook. He thought it might be helpful for himself in his weight loss journey. Right now he is at 320 and is 6'2" with a big build. So he needs to loose about fifty pounds and get in to better shape as well. When he was still slender in junior high, the football coach for the high school was behind us in line at a store once. He asked my son if he was going to be a linebacker on "his" football team the following year. His face fell when my son said he hated sports and was a reader and computer geek! LOL
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    hello peeps -

wowzers there are alotta new peeps here. welcome to you all!!! YOU GOT THIS!! did alot today, went to the gym, took kirby to get his hair cut and colored, then took the kids home, took our 7.5' fake xmas tree to Goodwill and said our goodbye to it, then went to the bike shop to pick up his NEW BIKE!! it was pretty cool, cuz after the bike, new fenders, rack pannier, it still was JUST UNDER 1K!! that is awesome!!!!. my summer bike was over 1k for the bike alone! came home and put his bike lights on and it is awesome!.

night peeps

Yeah!!! Life is getting back to normal for you and Kirby. :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katiebug - I wish you would not have shown your beautiful organization pictures. For the last three days I've tried very hard to ignore the "bug" that seems to have bitten our site. But after seeing your pictures, I feel the need to empty drawers in the middle of the floor and organize when I return home in February. :) Wow, very impressive.

Janetr okc
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    All this de-clutter talk..... makes me want to get something done in my own house but ...sigh.... I am off to spend a day working on another room at my mom's house.

Later everyone

Lillian in west Central Saskatchewan
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have to throw in here I'm a bit obsessive/compulsive (when I say this Jack always says a BIT?) I cannot stand clutter. I don't let dishes sit in the sink and I walk behind people cleaning up. I know I drove my kids crazy when they were younger. That being said, I have really worked at easing up a bit as I've gotten older. I at least try to wait until the "offender" is out of sight before going behind them and picking up, wiping up, sweeping up or whatever it may be. I do have to mindfully keep my mouth shut when I have all the family there, as we did at Christmas.

I have a miserable head cold. I'm so anxious to jump into the heated pool to do my water aerobics here in Apache Junction, but may to hold off for a couple of days. :(

Janetr okc
  • lhannon062709
    Options
    Oh... and don't know if it works for anyone else, but am adding one thing each day...so today is logging, but not restricting what I eat. Tomorrow, working out and logging. Tuesday, working out, logging and staying under 1500 calories... just easing myself back into the groove...

Lisa, West Texas...
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I got up at 5:15 am and then went grocery shopping, yesterday I went through recipes and pulled what I will make, then went through and made grocery list...
    after our talk Tom seems more attentive,but he has alot of thinking to do...
  • lhannon062709
    Options
    Allie - meant to tell you and forgot, I'm really, REALLY proud of you for bracing Tom. I hope he's actually hearing you.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 57 y, living in Aviano, Italy for another 15 months and hope to lose 75 lbs in that time.

My Goals are:

- Get up by 0700 (the move and time change wrecked my normal early bio rhythms) and walk.
    - Give up diet coke and drink more teas and water.
    - Make time to read daily and meditate (not on computer).
    - To talk positive and not get into complaining, negative behavior.
    - Plan healthy meals instead of waiting until we are hungry and then going out.
    - Lose 75 lbs in 15 months.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Janetr - I'm the same in public areas, but behind the scenes it's a different story. I'm always straightening drink mats. :blushing: My poor DH 's pens get straightened several times a day and I can hardly bear it that they don't colour co-ordinate with the living room. If people come I want all my blue mugs out on the shelves, so DH knows to start the dishwasher a few hours before. <3 However, he says I leave a mess in the kitchen after cooking, but that's because he is the one responsible for the washing up and tidying. :laugh: He does it very well, but doesn't clean the hob. :sad: Nor does he sharpen knives. :sad: He does do all the trash and compost bin. :love: At the moment he is still painting his bathroom, which is looking beautiful. I have made a gigantic bolognese, which I will freeze in 400 cal portions, so 200 cals for each of us.

Had 3 parcels arrive today - one was 8 new dinner plates - same as the old ones - and two parcels were artificial flowers I bought in an online sale. Snowdrops, mixed white spring flowers and gorgeous purple irises. The irises I won't put out yet as I like to co-ordinate my fake flowers with the seasons, but they are lovely. I try to always have fresh flowers as well, but the fake ones tide me over the gaps. :D

Tomorrow I am going to do some writing and tidy my jewellery and nail varnish drawer. B)

Love Heather UK
  • Youruniverse1
    Youruniverse1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I'm 55 years old with 2 DD's, one in her last semester at college and one who graduated this past May. Neither are in town but have enjoyed having them around this past week. One just left but the other has another week off.
    I'm new to MFP. I had lost 70 lbs 10 years ago on WW but life happened and I chose food to deal with it. Most has found its way back on. I'm looking forward to a fresh start!
    My goals for January:
    -Track everything
    -Exercise 6 days per week
    -Weigh less at the end of January than I do now

Nancy in OKC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I am taking the organizing and purging a bit at a time too. Yesterday I went through some very old cookbooks that a friend gave me. I pulled out the recipes I thought I would use, mostly veggie dishes, and put the books in the recycle bin. Then I made a map of my desk drawers so I know where things are. I loose things when they are out of sight, but don't want to label drawers etc. so I figure a map, that I can put under the glass on top of the desk, will help me find things. My desk is a big old business desk with really deep drawers so it is easy to lose things in it. I find Velveeta boxes are just the right depth for drawer dividers. I don't buy it very often, but occasionally make the velveeta and rotel for my girls. Or grilled cheese. I am trying to teach them proper eating habits, so don't do it very often.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    janetr thanks for the sunshine

drkatiebug inspiring!

Heather proud of you for purging your clothes.

Pip glad Kirby is doing so much better!

:heart: Margaret