WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies and Happy New Year! I'm new to MFP, I think this is day 13. Former Weight Watcher stuck on the last 14# for the past 6 months. I've lost 24 so far, but it was a constant yo-yo so when the new points plan kicked in I kicked WW to the curb. I guess I just wasn't getting the motivation needed to get the job done, and paying $47 a month to use their online tracking was just going to waste.

A friend mentioned MFP and I immediate liked what I saw! This is my first experience counting calories, but I'm hoping with the added nutritional information provided , the app will help me strive to eat healthier. I'm thinking I may opt for the premium option as I'm fascinated by nutrients for the first time in my life.

I'm fairly active: Walk my Standard Poodles a mile every morning; Yoga twice a week (most weeks) usually preceded by a 2 mile brisk walk on the treadmill; and try to ride my horse 2-3x a week. Of course there is housework, lol.

My intentions for 2016:
    - Eat healthier
    - Exercise more (at least two sun salutations each morning)
    - Finish interior house renovations
    - Stay happy and try to spread joy
    - Do one act of random kindess each week
    - Stay motivated!!

Happy to have found a group of ladies more in my age bracket to chat with and be motivated by!

Kate
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: The Happy Camper pillow covers are adorable! :bigsmile:

Becca: Your plan to get rid of old movies is brilliant. Good luck. I have two drawers stuffed with things like this. When we decide to declutter, we usually donate to the Senior Center thrift store. The proceeds go to support the programs like Meals on Wheels that the senior center offers. :flowerforyou:

moots4me aka Tracy: Nice to see another Oregonian here. Welcome! :smiley:

Janetr: You are definitely not in Kansas (midwest) any more. It appears that you've gotten yourselves off to Oz. (AZ) :wink:

Kim: My bed has drawers under it, too. They aren't empty. :laugh:

Newbies: Welcome. Join in the conversation for friendship, support, and good advice. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: Nice organization! It is actually very attractive which would be a motivator to keep up the good work. :smiley:

My riding lesson yesterday was a real pleasure but I came home with sore knees. They're feeling better this morning. The different part of the equation was that I spent some time cantering. :bigsmile: I have mastered the trot without wrecking my knees by limiting posting. Now I need to learn to canter without irritating my knees. (They are feeling much better this morning.)

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Happy new year all the lovely ladies here!
    Looking forward to being regular on mfp! Being off mfp and having gained weight seem to be quite a coincidence!
    Need to take stock of my health and be in the company of positive people.
    Best wishes
    Anamika from Mumbai! So much to catch up with and its only the 3rd!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Katla, the more you can do to strengthen your muscles that support the knees, the less pain you will have. Thigh muscles, calf muscles, and also the muscles that you use to scissor kick all support the knee joint. A physical therapist could help you figure out what exercises to do, but you could also look online for some. I really have far less knee pain thanks to my PT. I could barely walk a block before I started with him. Also, remember to ice your knees after riding to reduce inflammation that causes pain.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Proud of all of you who have been bitten by the "declutter" bug. Hope it is catching. LOL

• shanitomorrow
    shanitomorrow Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Happy New Year and best wishes for 2016 to everyone.

2015 was a good year, a big birthday year, spent a lot of time with friends and family. Had a move put upon me, but embraced it and settling into a new life, work has had its challenges but we're moving into a new place in our history. Through it all, my health improved on the previous year and maintained my weight loss, and started Pilates classes to build my core strength.

Achieved a major goal of starting a new relationship. Have been wanting to for a long time, always easy to put off, but let it happen this time.

Looking forward to 2016
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    well I am pooped and not even half way done.. I made a majic vanilla custard cake and ranger cookies for Tom, and a hamburg spagetti sauce dish with biscuits on top, onto the mac and cheese, chicken dish , and Oh I have mozzarella stuffed meatballs baking, will throw those in sauce and he can have them on portugese rolls. and his dinner is in the crock pot ,pot roast.. I am sitting for a few minutes as my back is yelling at me. been on my feet since 5:15 this morning.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,539 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    bskts4ver wrote: »

I bought this book ten years and I still get it out once in a while to re-read. Peter Walsh has written many other also.

amazon.com/gp/product/B000N2HCP6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B000N2HCP6&link_code=as3&tag=dghebooklist-20&linkId=TAYGW3VTXMPO6HDR

Just for kicks and giggles, here is a picture of some of my Kon-Maried drawers and closet. And no, I didn't put everything in the middle of the floor at one time either. I did it by category, one drawer at a time. Notice my folded (not balled) socks. I have to admit they don't get as stretched out.

fc1mtpa3439f.jpeg

holy farts drkatiebug! you need to come over to my house!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    I am so HAPPY! I'm bursting!
    I sorted my shelves in the wardrobe. Threw masses away. :D Now it looks deeeeevine!
    Penny - I was so enthused and cut to the quick by your comment (♡) that I went back to the sock portion of my big drawer and threw most of it away. Including two bras that I have never worn. They are going go the charity shop.
    It feels sooooo gooooood. :D:drinker:

Expecting a supermarket delivery at any moment. :D Need it so I can cook the bolognese for dinner tonight. I will have it with green beans.

Love to all, Heather

eidrp7bv1tjo.jpg

oooooooooooo lookin good!!!!
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Allie - meant to tell you and forgot, I'm really, REALLY proud of you for bracing Tom. I hope he's actually hearing you.
    My feelings exactly!!!
    Betty
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi gals,

Alison – I have a question, some of the folks on the site are calling you Allie, and that is what I think of you as :) but wonder what you like to be called? And to echo Lisa, I am glad to see you begin to stand up to Tom, you deserve the answers you are requesting!

Miriam – velveeta boxes! I have not had velveeta in years (30+) but the boxes - I remember as a kid getting the boxes and loving them! They were beds for bigger dolls, Troll homes, I covered them with wrapping paper and stored all sorts of stuff in them! They were great!!!

Margaret – I don’t say it often enough but I love the pictures and think of you and your DH often.

I have been using my 1 ¼ hour walk with Levi to think about things, and one of the subjects that have haunted me is gifts. We talked before Christmas about feeling obligated by holidays or non-obligated by random gift giving. And I do like the idea of non-obligation gift giving, but realized that for me the obligation helps me with the folks that are “difficult” so for example I have one friend that while I do like her tons I would probably never get her anything, as she and dh are shoppers and there are little to no financial controls. They are very very hard to gift to, and it really takes me “having to” to take the time to sit down and come up with something that she might like. And even then I don’t hit the right thing pretty often. This year we are not celebrating until late January so it will be interesting to see how I do, they entertain a ton, and so I thought up the idea of new kitchen towels, so I am doing a set of everyday (their property has a logo) a set of summer, a set of fall, and a set of Christmas – 2 dish drying towels and 2 hand towels for each – seems like a lot but it is Christmas and her birthday (same day).

Heather – I got the hairy biker cookbooks (1 and 3) for a friend for Christmas and they made the chicken rosemary pots and loved them! Thanks for the lead.

Kim from N. California
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone --
    Stayed on track yesterday, so Day 2 is complete. I have to go exercise now although I am procrastinating.

Miriam and Katla I saw your posts about knees. I'm having a difficult time with what I have self-diagnosed as quadriceps tendonitis. I'm pretty sure it's from doing squats. I try to avoid jumps most of the time. It seems ok when I'm working out (so I tend to amp up the workout), but later, especially at night, it's quite painful. I wonder where the line is between causing more stress and strengthening the muscles which will, in turn, reduce the pain. (probably need a PT as Miriam suggested).

Anyway, I'm sticking with it for now. I don't want to give up the P90x3 program unless I'm really hurting.

• Firefighter5802
    Firefighter5802 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Would like to join the group and discussion. My goal for 2016 is to lose 2 lbs per week, following the South Beach Diet (has worked before) and to start running again with the goal of starting to complete races again this year.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peeps and new peeps-

just posted on fb our pinball machine that we are selling... 5 years will pass before you know it!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So many pages! Today is a beautiful sunny day and of course I don't feel well. Bleh! We got the leased car for Alena yesterday and she'll start paying us back on that one too. But it satisfied the "mommy factor". Where else could I get a good car for under $6K that's reliable and I won't worry about? Certainly all the used ones we looked at in that price range were sketchy to say the least. So we are all happy and now she has something to save for, since they already told her what the resale price would be if she wants to buy it at the end of the lease.

Take care all, going back to work tomorrow and hopefully back on my good habits! Meg from bright Omaha.

PS anyone watch the TCU game last night? The only interesting bowl game in the whole pack!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Oh, goals for January:
    Return to my good habits!
    Be more consistent with checking blood sugar. I've kind of let that go since my A1Cs are always so good, but I need to monitor.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Alison - why are you cooking all those dinners for Tom? >:)

Jane - sorry I haven't responded to you. Sending you loving thoughts for you and your MIL. <3

Penny - I have my Svalbaard calendar on the kitchen door. Lots of photos of old, rusty trains. :laugh:

My ragu (bolognese) was utterly delicious. I caved in and had one and a half oz of tagliatelle, but still came in at 400. I've got 4 more pots for the freezer. :D I make it from an Elizabeth David recipe, including chicken livers. Yum!

Kim - Your tea towels sound lovely and you will surely enjoy making them. :flowerforyou: I have been on Amazon today, looking for new tea towels and want to throw a lot away. Didn't find the perfect ones though. :laugh: I want blue with a pop of pink. :ohwell:

War and Peace tonight on the BBC, adapted by Andrew Davies, so it should be fun! I have read it at least three times and love it, even the battle strategy. Normally I don't like period drama, but I'll give this a go. Recording Endeavour (the young Morse) as it's on at the same time, but I hate adverts and prefer to fast forward.

Love to all. WELCOME all the new ladies. No gimmicks on this thread - just eat less, move more. Log all food and activity. Balance it. It works. I am living testament. :laugh:

Heather in rainy Hampshire UK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • suelouise1
    suelouise1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would love to join your group. My name is Sue and I will turn 60 this year. I have always struggled keeping my weight down, but the last few years my weight has ballooned up quickly as a result of my response to a lot of stress in my life. I haven't managed how to deal with stress without turning to comfort food and the ironic thing is, gaining weight also adds to my stress. :blush:

My overall 2016 health goal is to lose weight. I don't want to assign a certain number of pounds; I want to be satisfied with what I lose when following a healthy diet.

January goals:
    Walk at least 30 minutes every day
    Increase fruit and vegetables to 5 servings a day
    Increase water intake to 8 glasses a day
    Post at least weekly on this thread.

Looking forward to getting to know you gals this coming year.
    Sue
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    Kim~ people call me all sorts of things and I answer to all, Allie,Ace(old CB nickname) Al .. doesn't matter..
    Heather~ I do the cooking or at least try to make all the food I need to so all I have to do is take it out of the freezer and he can heat it up...
    I just sat down, have a sore back and sore feet.. have been at it since 5 15 this morning..
    I am leaving the chicken dish for another day..
    I also made shepards pie stuffed potatoes and mac and cheese..
    these dinners and lunches should last a couple of weeks..
    Welcome ,welcome to all the new friends.. you will find that this is a wonderful supportive group and we have become great friends xoxo