Magnificent Mamas (Closed Group)

Options

Replies

• tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I still need to catch up on all the posts, but I thought I would write a quick message while Ethan is naping. Things have been a bit rough here over the last couple weeks. I think we FINALLY have Ethan settled down from his colic. It literally made doing anything other than focusing on him impossible. We ended up figuring out that he cant seem to digest my milk...at least when he has my milk 100% of the time it makes him miserable. So he is now on 75% formula, 25% brest milk. He is a totally new baby, and things are finally settling down. However, now that things are calm, I am not so calm. I flat out asked my husband last night if he thinks I am depressed and he said no. We are both just struggling with the changes in our life. We both are very active, always on the go people, and life has slowed down a TON for us, but expecially me. Being at home all the time is difficult for me, and with Ethan's colic, I was almost a prisioner in my own home for weeks on end. My husband is leaving for a business trip on Thursday and will be home Sunday night. I have a lot of anxiety over being alone with no help for several days & nights. Should be interesting.

Anyway...I am starting to gain weight, after my intial loss, so I am going to start trying to log my food again, and to go for a walk with Ethan as much as the weather allows.

Well...off to catch up on all the past posts. I cant believe how many people are getting closer to meeting their little ones!

Editied: Mel - I just read about your little one. You are all in my thoughts and prayers!
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    We are a hot group of mamas!!!

Mel- So happy Gabriel get's to come home! Are you guys calling him Gabe or by his full name? I can understand how it would make you paranoid, and it sounds like you are going to have a lot on your shoulders... be kind to yourself! Just out of curiosity did you have any ultrasounds? I know they looked at the heart a lot when I had my ultrasound, I am wondering if this is something that they would know for me before my baby is born?

Tahmed- I'm sorry it's been so hard! Cholic sounds like it would be awful to deal with. If you think you could have post partum depressionI please take it seriously! It could just be a case of the baby blues and natural due to the massive changes in your life. I feel for you, especially with hubby going away. Is there anyone else who could come by and help you? Friends, family? Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

Annabelle- Thank you for sharing your birth story- you are awesome!!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Annabelle- such an amazing birth story! Thanks for sharing

Bethe- You’ll be back there

Mel- So glad Gabriel got to come home, hope he lets you keep up on the work and such. Is hubby helping out since he’s home?

Amanda- glad you found a way to calm Ethan, I have been depressed lately.... hubby may say you're not but I think it is worth figuring out on your own. Remember only you know all of your thoughts and feelings and so he may not see it. My husband thought everything was fine and dandy until I told him straight out that I am depressed and that it has been spiraling downward since I had the baby....birth control made it worse. Hubby thinks I can just "snap" out of it but unfortunately it does not work that way. I am here if you want to talk about it.

Thanks for all of you kind words, they REALLY mean a lot to me since I pretty much have hid this from people in my real life. I had a full on panic/anxiety attack last night that lasted about 1 1/2 hours and I cried the whole time while hubby tried to cuddle and comfort me. Oddly enough I feel a bit better today compared to yesterday.

I must agree we are a great looking bunch and will get to those points together.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Mel- So happy Gabriel get's to come home! Are you guys calling him Gabe or by his full name? I can understand how it would make you paranoid, and it sounds like you are going to have a lot on your shoulders... be kind to yourself! Just out of curiosity did you have any ultrasounds? I know they looked at the heart a lot when I had my ultrasound, I am wondering if this is something that they would know for me before my baby is born?

Hubby doesn't like Gabe, but I told him when he picked it that he'd have to be OK with me using it because I'm lazy and when he's older won't call his full name every time :laugh:. But for now it's Gabriel. Actually... Gabriel and Buck. I don't think my son is going to call him anything other than Buck so it's sort of stuck, at least on the internal family nickname side.

I had 2 ultrasounds. One at 18 and one at 21. The one at 18 I dont think they were looking for anything really detailed, since it was just to evaluate him before my back surgery. The one at 21 I remember it took them about 20 minutes to get the pictures of the heart, but they didn't see anything off in the scan. I dont know if VSD (the hole) is hard to see and in his type his ventricles are fully formed. In other varieties it comes with an underdeveloped ventricle which is easier to see (but also a worse thing to have). They said that the missing pulmonary artery is the most commonly missed congenital heart defect on ultrasounds. It's not common though so that's probably why. I'm not sure how uncommon it is though because pulmonary atresia includes / means not having a pulmonary artery valve - he has the much more rare version of no artery at all. They will probably grab his ultrasounds as a learning tool to see what could be caught in the future. I'm not sure if knowing in advance would be any easier or not. You'd still have the same shock and reaction of not knowing if he was going to be alright or not. Actually, this way we had one really awful day of not knowing, I think that 20 weeks of not knowing what condition he would come out as might be worse. I mean, we could know all the stats on successful surgeries etc, but we wouldn't know if he'd be able to breathe on his own etc.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Sheri- I'm sorry you are feeling depressed. It's good that you are willing to address it and work toward fixing it. I think I would be in denial or something at first. My family is the "you'll snap out of it" kind of group too, so I can understand you needing to talk about it more here. If stopping with the pill doesn't help are you going to be talking to your doctor?

Amanda- So glad you found a way to calm Ethan's cholic. I hope Emma doesn't turn out having cholic. It's just one of those things you have to figure out, I guess. I'm glad I'll have you ladies for advice if it comes to that.

I realized I've been neglecting this group quite a bit. I hope you don't think I'm ignoring you. I guess I just sorta figured you would read my updates on the other board if you were still following it. Then I realized I wasn't responding enough to your updates on this board. Terrible:tongue: I promise this will be my main board once the little one pops out!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Amanda – I’m glad you found something to help Ethan’s colic but I’m sorry you’re feeling so down/stressed lately. I still have a hard time imagining what an adjustment it’s going to be to after Kathryn is born. Hopefully it will get easier for you since he’s feeling better now, we’re all here to listen anytime you need to vent.

Apparently a lot of the women in my family suffered from post partum depression. I mentioned that I was worried about it the last time I got together with my cousins and they all started to tell me their stories. Thankfully it was never anything severe with them. I think I’m so worried because I have all these ideas and expectations about what it’s going to be like when she’s born and I’m so afraid that I’m going to have a hard time if things don’t go like that (I’m a bit of a control freak). But in my head I know there’s no way to plan for something and I’m just going to have to go with the flow when the time comes but it’s much easier said than done.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Sheri- I'm sorry you are feeling depressed. It's good that you are willing to address it and work toward fixing it. I think I would be in denial or something at first. My family is the "you'll snap out of it" kind of group too, so I can understand you needing to talk about it more here. If stopping with the pill doesn't help are you going to be talking to your doctor?

I actually would not talk to my doctor, I have gone in for counseling when I was much younger and they are too quick to medicate. I had this problem before and it was caused by birth control so hopefully I can get it out of my system soon. I came to terms with it after many weeks of denial and thinking oh its because I have 3 now, oh its because moneys is super tight, oh too much on my plate at work. I finally just had to stop making excuses and accept reality, I feel much better than a few days ago already.

Any luck with Ms. Emma flipping?
  • brittonymiller
    Options
    No luck yet. She seems to really like the position she is in.:smile: We have another appointment on Monday with my doctor to be sure. Then it's the flip attempt on Tuesday.

Ronya- I am worried I might experience a little sadness post baby too. As I said on the other board, I'm going to miss having her all to myself. Plus I feel like I'm a control freak too and I am nervous I'll get a bit too overwhelmed with all of the visitors. Since we don't live near any family or friends, they'll all be staying in town for extended periods of time. They are all attempting to reserve dates and it feels like we will have visitors constantly for the first two months. I just don't know how well I'll do with people constantly being around. I want alone time with my new family, but I feel bad keeping the baby from anyone since it'll be the first grandchild/niece on both sides. I'll have to find a way to be open and honest when I need space because I really don't want to have a meltdown in front of in-laws. That's another thing. My MIL seems to insert her opinion on how we should raise our child a bit too much already and the baby isn't even here. I really don't know how I'm going to handle someone telling me how to be a mother. Advice can be much appreciated, but she is kind of pushy about her way and how her two boys turned out great because she was so awesome. That sounds way worse than it really is, but it's how I feel sometimes. So yeah. If all of those things combine I could have some serious mopes. Hopefully they will all be manageable.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Okay ladies, Publix just paid me $1.81 to take a 4oz Playtex drop-in nurser bottle from them. I had already gotten a 4oz one along with a box of drop-in liners for free from Publix a few months ago.

They're normally $3.29 This Publix had them on close-out priced at $1.19. I had a coupon from Publix for $1 (in their Summer Savings booklet available at the front of the store) and a $2 off coupon from Playtex so I got to use both for a total of $3 off a $1.19 bottle. I love making money taking that way!
    Here are links to what were a couple of printable coupons for Playtex products. I've already printed all mine so I can't tell if there are any available for other people or if it's just telling me there are no prints left because I've printed all mine already:
    $2 off: http://bricks.coupons.com/Start.asp?tqnm=yfomeyo45391320&bt=wi&o=81556&pt=&lang=&ws=&ct=&ci=&cl=&cp=&eb=1&c=PL&p=148785&z=&r=&pc=&tc=
    $1 off: http://bricks.coupons.com/Start.asp?bt=wi&tqnm=zlrradj80909573&o=79030&c=PL&p=LutlY2k1

Also, today only, you can scan your CVS Extra Care card at the little red coupon printer/scanner in the store and it's printing coupons for 99 cent 12 packs of Pepsi or Diet Pepsi. Apparently it's only printing for some people though, but if you need something else at CVS today, don't forget to scan your card to see if the coupon prints. It did for me!
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I love Publix, I wish I had one near here! That's where my family shopping when I lived at home (high school). Going to catch up later...need to shower now while Annabelle is sleeping :laugh: You learn to schedule things around naps...... :wink:
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I need suggestions on how to fix Aubrey's diaper rash. I've tried just about every cream out there (A&D, Desitin, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Dr Smith, Lansinoh baby, plain Vasaline, & Triple Paste) and none of it has helped. What else can I do?
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Oh boy we are in major meltdown mode here in this house.

Husband works from home and sometimes it makes it hard because he sits here while I discipline and listen to a crying baby in the background.

My oldest has really started acting out and I finally am putting my foot down. Time to follow through with punishments instead of just threatening them.

Yep, I have had quite a cry fest this afternoon.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    I need suggestions on how to fix Aubrey's diaper rash. I've tried just about every cream out there (A&D, Desitin, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Dr Smith, Lansinoh baby, plain Vasaline, & Triple Paste) and none of it has helped. What else can I do?

Try Ammens powder. It's in the foot care isle at CVS or Walgreens or on of those stores, or you can get it online. It's the same active ingredient as butt cream, but it's a powder so it's easier to put on a bleeding, raw bottom. Not an overnight cure but it worked well for me with my first.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    Husband works from home and sometimes it makes it hard because he sits here while I discipline and listen to a crying baby in the background.

Sounds like my house except hubby often annoys me by sitting and watching TV while I am working and dealing with the boy.
  • mwilson1018
    Options

Annabelle has had one for the past 2 weeks now...Dr said to use plain Vaseline, but it's not getting any better. It's not bumpy or open, it's just red splotches, but I definitely don't like it!! If you find something that works let me know! :smile:
  • mwilson1018
    Options
    Mel - I am so glad Gabriel is home!!! Take care of yourself and your LOs. Will keep praying for you both!
  • brittonymiller
    Options
    My friend's pediatrician told her to dry off the baby's bottom using the cold setting on a hair dryer before putting the diaper back on. She and one of her friends do this religiously now and don't ever have diaper rashes. I don't know if that is just for prevention or if it can help an already existing rash, though.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Sorry ladies I have no advice about helping diaper rash... but I did just get very excited thinking that in a couple months it will be something I have to think about! :laugh: Wierd how those things are exciting.

So we have been trying to do some investing in properties this year and none of the ones we have offered on have gone through (usually we won't go up to their price or because of inspections), we have decided to look a different route and purchase in the metro detroit area. (We live in Chattanooga but are from Michigan). We have found some good houses and we are going to talk to a mortgage person today. The market is SO low there. We will see how that goes, I like this option because it is very low risk compared to some of the others my DH has wanted to do.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Bethe- Sorry about the meltdown :grumble: I wonder if it is an attention thing from your older one. Sounds like you are making all of the right moves!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I still need to catch up on all the posts, but I thought I would write a quick message while Ethan is naping. Things have been a bit rough here over the last couple weeks. I think we FINALLY have Ethan settled down from his colic. It literally made doing anything other than focusing on him impossible. We ended up figuring out that he cant seem to digest my milk...at least when he has my milk 100% of the time it makes him miserable. So he is now on 75% formula, 25% brest milk. He is a totally new baby, and things are finally settling down. However, now that things are calm, I am not so calm. I flat out asked my husband last night if he thinks I am depressed and he said no. We are both just struggling with the changes in our life. We both are very active, always on the go people, and life has slowed down a TON for us, but expecially me. Being at home all the time is difficult for me, and with Ethan's colic, I was almost a prisioner in my own home for weeks on end. My husband is leaving for a business trip on Thursday and will be home Sunday night. I have a lot of anxiety over being alone with no help for several days & nights. Should be interesting.

Amanda- We miss you! Colic sounds awful, it sounds like you are doing a great job. We are here for you if you need anything!